Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I'd do the 09. Many nice changes to be found inside and out. Also, account for the extra year of depreciation with the 08 on resale.

What color choice do you have on the RL. I think dark colors look better with that new grille.
  • I agree. For only $5,000 difference between an 08 and an 09, for me it would be no-brainer. I really liked the 09 - not enough to trade in my 05, but if I had a choice between purchasing an 08 or an 09 I wouldn't hesitate. There are enough little differences between the two.

And definitely don't forget the extra year of depreciation. Many people forget that one of the main reasons last year's model is cheaper is it's truly lost value, even though it's never been driven. That loss of value is permanent as you'll find when you get ready to trade it in on your next car.
  • pds1pds1 Posts: 24
    I'm behind the wheel of an 09 RL after returning my 05. This is a much improved car. I'd don't think I'd buy the 08 if I could swing the 09.

The 09 is smoother, silkier and far more quiet than was my 05. Just an all around great car. The nicest thing about the RL is the feeling it gives you when you drive it. With the SH-AWD, the bullet-proof navigation system, the flawless vtec engine and the solid suspension - you feel like you can go anywhere in this car without the fear of breaking down, getting lost or not making it back. It is the most trusted vehicle I have every owned.
  • I test drove the '09 and agree with everything you say. I've ordered one with the pax/CMBS and have been waiting for three months. Last word from the dealer was March sometime.
    Gray
    :)
  • I went to a dealership to look at some low-mileage Honda Accords. While there I couldn't help noticing a 2005 Acura RL with 86,000 miles for $15,995.

What do you guys think? Is this a good price? Although I current vehicle is a 1992 Civic with 230,000 miles on it, I'm pretty wary of spending that much money on a car with that many miles on it. How reliable has the RL been for those of you with higher miles? I know it's Acura reliability, but it just seems like there's so much that could go wrong on a car with that many features.

Other questions: Does the real time traffic require a separate subscription? How has gas mileage compared to the EPA estimates of 18/26? I apologize if this info is listed elsewhere, but I'm new to the forum and not sure where to look.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts that you guys have.
  • I have a 2005 RL that is coming off lease. I leased the car the first month or so they were available. There were a number of issues in the first 6-8 months but most were taken care of. A good site to check on RL issues is Acurazine.com RL forums. There have been some issues since as well. I would make sure it comes with or buy a full warranty just to be safe.

Yes the NavTraffic is a separate subscription from the regular XM radio subscription. My gas milegage is worse then the mileage you stated. I get 15-16 in town under normal driving. Maybe 17 if I baby it. I get 22-24 in highway driving. It also requires premium fuel.

Hope this helps.
  • >>>>>>Dilemma:
    1. Should I go with the 2008 RL (Tech Pkg) for 41K and 6% Interest..... ORRR...
    2. A 2009 RL (Tech Pkg) for ~46K with 0.9%. (The difference in Tax doesnt concern me too much).
    3. My only other choice is to go with a 2008 TL w/ Navi which would be about 30K ..... but no choice of color.

With the difference in interest, the monthly payment will probably be about the same. That alone would push me to the 09.
  • I would suggest the '09 RL. You will be paying more principal, less interest. And the 2008 RL resale value will be horrendous as compared to the new model.
  • Has anyone gotten a RL tech lease offer that is better than the Acura advertised RL lease deal? Please share if yes. Thanks. (no real activity in the RL lease forum)
  • I've now been offered $100 over invoice on 2009 RL w/tech. Let's see what happens when I step into the dealership. I'll keep you folks updated. Thanks again to everyone that responded to my questions. :)
  • Don't hurry, one of the dealer came back with invoice price. It was the one that told me a few weeks ago, they sell for MSRP.
    Also watch the dealer installed options and the doc fee. (I have seen doc fees of $100 - 398). That is where some dealer make a lot of profit. In addition, look at a dealer (in certain states) that is located outside the city limits. You may safe 2% in taxes.
  • I received the following offer on a 2009 RL with tech today as I was having my 2005 RL serviced:

RL
    MSRP: $50,660
    Customer Discount $4,259
    Selling Price: $46,400
    Tax $2,874
    Tag/Reg $350
    Dealer Fee: $599
    Balance due: $50,233

Terms
    MF: .00119
    Residual: 49%
    Residual $: $24,823
    Cap: $46,818
    Payment: $745 (w/tax) with $0 down for 36 mo/12K miles

This was the first offer I received. I have not presented a counter. According to Costco Auto, the invoice is $45,940.98 so this offer is around $1,000 over invoice. I don't know what kind of hold back Acura is paying but with the dealer fees the profit is at least $1,600. Shouldn't these cars be going for well under invoice considering how lousy they are selling?

Thanks for any thoughts and Happy Holidays!
  • your price looks ok except don't pay the dealer fee. It's one of those hidden profits and they only tell you about the fee when you are ready to pay. Today, the last day of 2008 they should be hungry enough to wave it. Not every dealer is charging it.
  • pds1pds1 Posts: 24
    I bought an 09 tech for invoice and 0.9% financing. The lease payment on the 09 was $200 a month more than I paid for my 05, even though the price and interest rates were similar.

Residuals are screaming one thing, "we do not want to lease you a car at this particular point in time!"

Just as well, since I would have kept my 05 for 3 more years if I could have.

Beyond all that, the 2009 is a far superior product - just drive it and you'll know what I'm talking about.
  • lsemomlsemom Posts: 4
    I want to buy a 2008 Tech Package RL, preferably new. I think there are still some of them out there. I know the 09s are updated, but think that the 08 is still a quality auto and will serve my needs. I typically keep a car until is is worn out - right now I have a 2000 RL with 150K miles on it, and it is still running fine. My problem is I can't get any dealers to give me a really good deal. I am getting quotes in the $40s for these cars and I think that is too high with the 09s already out. And it won't be too long until the 2010 models are out! Am I off base here?
  • I think you are right on. The 09's are being discounted by some dealers to the tune of 4500 from what I hear. You may have to wait until things get a little worse.
  • I own an 05 RL, basically the same as the 08 and have test driven the 09. The 09 is definitely a better car. Not enough better to entice me out of my 05, but if I had a choice between an 08 or an 09, buying the 09 would be a no-brainer for me.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    I had to bargain hard with the local dealer however, I was able to purchase an 08 RL with tech for $ 42000 last Feb, i.e. 08. Sticker was around $ 52000. You probably can get them lower.

I live in Bay Area of Ca, and I sent emails to all the dealers in the Bay Area. Got four or five responses and all offerred about $ 42500, to about 44000. Cost out to door was just under $ 46000 but this included taxes.

So if my situation helps you I hope you get an excellent deal because jmo, I have an excellent vehicle.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • home4sale2home4sale2 Posts: 16
    Hey all, I recently bought an RL, got new license plates (I wanted to) which I have received from the dealer where I bought this car. I was told that the title would arrive from IL secretary of state's office once the dealer pays off the balance owed on previous owner's lien who had traded the car in just two days before I bought it. The dealer has told me that they have already sent the payoff to the bank and it takes about 10-15 days before the bank releases the title. Once the dealer receives the title, they enter that number with the IL secretary of state along with the license plate, tax, etc. From that point on it takes another 4 weeks or so and the IL sec of state sends me my title. Does this process sound right? Everywhere I have read, I see that I should have not bought this car till the dealer had the title in hand. True? Did I get ripped off somehow or is this process normal? I am told that they can't give me the title from the bank and have to wait for my own copy from the DMV.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,906
    I'm not that familiar with Illinois, but a few weeks sounds about right.. Did you buy a car that had just been traded in?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs