Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• reuel3reuel3 Posts: 114
    Such questions are better suited for another forum, as this one is only for topics directly related to prices paid and buying experience. Try one of these:
    Acura RL Owners: Problems & Solutions

Acura RL
  • proacmanproacman Posts: 5
    You can purchase a Honda Accord Hybrid with Navigation for around $30,000. It is just as fast and handles just as well (in dry conditions) as the RL (and gets better gas mileage). Unless you need the AWD, the RL is just an Accord with more gadgets. And for a premium of $15,000 I can do without the gadgets.

That, in my opinion, is why they are having trouble selling these cars. The M doesn't feel or look like anything Nissan makes, the GS, although somewhat similar to the Avalon, is still also without direct comparison within Toyota. Plus people buy into the Lexus reliability theme. But not the RL. To me, it's just an Accord in AWD clothing.
  • pjt6970pjt6970 Posts: 38
    What dealer and who was the sales guy in MN? Thnx
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    We don't allow salespeople's names to be posted (see red lettering below), so please don't ask for it. Dealership, city, and state are welcome.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    >>But not the RL. To me, it's just an Accord in AWD clothing.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I've had my RL since October and have a good friend with an Accord, in which I've ridden numerous times. There is no comparison between the two cars, other than they look like siblings. First of all, most people don't "need" AWD; however, after driving my RL for six months, I wouldn't dream of going back to a FWD and I've never liked RWD. Second, my RL is much quieter, has far superior interior materials, the seats are more comfortable, and yes, it has better gadgets than the Accord. Whether all that is worth the $15,000 premium, you'll have to decide. But for me, I love my RL and wouldn't dream of buying an Accord instead.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Maybe you're right that there's no comparison between the Accord and the RL. Maybe the better comparison would be between the TL and the RL. Is the RL worth the $12,000-15,000 premium over the TL, which is faster, has virtually the same interior room, gets better mileage, and, for a front driver, apparently has very little torque steer (at least the automatic).
    Members are comparing these two vehicles:
    Honda Accord vs Acura TSX and the RL is compared here:
    Acura RL vs. Audi A6 vs. BMW 5-Series vs. Jaguar S-Type vs. Lexus GS
    on our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board. Please take this conversation to that board - you are welcome to start a new discussion there. But let's reserve this one for conversation specifically related to purchasing an Acura RL.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• marko7marko7 Posts: 63
    I am not sure about the dealer-installed options on the RL. Most sites state there are none, and that the car comes fully-loaded except maybe for a trunk mat or wheel locks as accessories. Does it come with splash guards? Is a backup camera or sensor an available option?
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    Splash guards are a dealer-installed option, and (at least according to the literature) so are the backup sensors.

Rear view camera is not available on the 2005 RL.
  • fmpfmp Posts: 9
    Hi all, I'm currently driving an '02 TL coming off lease in about 3 weeks. Just drove the RL this past weekend and loved it, also took the Audi A6 out and enjoyed that ride as well. Haven't done "too" much pricing research yet, having opted to go back to my local dealer just to get my feet wet. On the RL, local northern NJ Acura dealer started from the typical MSRP of $49,700 and offered me 39 month lease, 12,000 miles/year, $2,000 down plus $1,950 to cover first month payment, car prep, delivery, etc (seemed vague). All this for a monthly payment of $610.

Given what I have read on this Board recently, starting a discussion at MSRP seems unrealistic as does having to put almost $4,000 down up front for this car.

What does everyone think? Is this dealer trying to take me for a ride? Where do I realistically wanna be on good lease deal for the RL? Would appreciate your knowledgeable feedback. Thanks.
    The RL is currently selling for about $1500 to $2000 above dealer cost, which puts it at around $45K to $46K. Your lease calculations need to start from that price point, rather than from MSRP. We just bought ours recently for $46K, with several extra options thrown in at this price (trunk tray, wheel locks, wood shift knob, all weather mats, trunk cargo net). Good luck!
    The local Acura dealer I am monitoring currently has about 60 RLs in stock. Back in late Feb, they had about 20 of which apparently only 7 were available, and of course MSRP was the name of the game. Now, I am getting e-mails of the "it is a buyer's market, come on down" kind. Somebody on this forum quoted close to a $1k dealer holdback, so a deal under $45k with no goodies thrown in should be possible, IMO. The M stole the show since its rollout in early March.
  • mg808mg808 Posts: 22
    Hey fmp, I am looking for an RL also. I am going to wait till the summer (July) to see what deals can be had. A northern NJ dealer gave me $46,900 as a starting point. Definitely look around. Deals can be had. The RL invoice is like $44,000 so their is some wiggle room. Never go into a dealer saying you want to lease. Always say, thinking of buying and then say lease when the final price is set. That way, you get the best price. My friend does that with his leases.

I usually buy my cars because I usually own cars for 5+ years and RL is a sweet ride to own.

Good Luck !
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    marko7: What dealer has about 60 RLs in stock? Where are you located?
  • fmpfmp Posts: 9
    I usually lease only because I do it through my own business. Even though it's a business expense, it's my business, so I'm aways looking for the best price! Negotiating with the dealer based on sale and not lease is a good point though. I'll be sending a few emails to dealers this weekend, perhaps even walking in to some as well. So I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out. Appreciate any additional advice anyone has in terms of leasing this car. Thanks.
    > marko7: What dealer has about 60 RLs in stock? Where are you located?

DC area. I'd rather not mention which particular dealer but do a search within say, 50-mile, radius and visit each dealer's site directly. Alternatively, acura.com may offer such an inventory search service, similarly to that of infiniti.com.
    We would actually love it if you'd share the dealership name with our members! Sure would be nice to know where shoppers can locate a store with huge inventory.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

I consider mentioning a particular dealer's name a form of endorsement and free advertising. I'd rather not do either since I am not on their payroll or a discount plan. Sorry, kirstie_h.
  • spenglospenglo Posts: 3
    My approach to purchasing a vehicle was inspired by DIB's post - use email to contact a bunch of dealers and only speak with a dealer after you've agreed on a price. I am based in CT and communicated with dealers in CT, RI, and MA. I sent each dealership the same email, which included my interest in buying immediately, my color preferences, and my target price. A few dealers did not respond at all. Perhaps one third of those who did told me they were uninterested in a deal at that price. Another third responded with a price significantly above my target price (these were in the $46-47K range), and the final third still had interest around my target price. It took about two weeks of emails to get what I felt was the best price. I paid $44,900 plus a $183 destination charge (and 6% sales tax). The dealership did not have the color I wanted (Carbon Gray Pearl), but found one in three days.

A few thoughts...
    * As mentioned, dealers are inconsistent in responding to email. Some didn't respond at all and a number of those that did took days to get back to me. I think it is essential to tell them the terms of the deal (e.g., cash, no trade-in) and that you are ready to buy immediately.

* I was surprised at how much variance there was in pricing from dealer to dealer. I would strongly recommend communicating with as many dealers as possible to maximize your chances of finding one who is willing to negotiate on price. Given that my dealer got the car from another dealer, it doesn't appear that existing inventory factored into their final pricing. One interesting tidbit - the dealer told me they have sold about 15 RLs since its release.

* I might have been able to get a few hundred dollars more off the price, but I think that would have been the limit. The majority of dealers were not interested in selling at my target price (and based on follow-up emails with these dealers, I believe this was sincere rather than posturing on their part). While they might have matched a competing offer, they were uninterested in being the first to drop their price.

I switched from a 2000 Mercedes E320 to the RL. The E had better driver visibility and a larger back seat, but is otherwise inferior in almost every respect. Purchasing a comparably equipped new E320 would have cost me $10K more than my RL. I also looked at the AWD Lexus GS, but dealers appeared unwilling to negotiate on price.

At this point, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Thanks to all the posters on this forum - the information here is what enabled me to get the car for this price.
  • dibdib Posts: 9
    Spenglo:

Great to hear about your success with the email form of negotiation. You got a great price. Some notes to your notes:

* A particular dealer's inventory has absolutely no bearing on its pricing. They simply get on the phone and call other dealer's until they find your color RL and can have it within 24 hours - they simply have an employee drive an RL they have on their lot to the dealer that has your color and drive your color back, leaving the other one. Each dealer knows it has to agree because there will come a time when they need the same favor. It may even be in their dealership agreement with Acura. My dealer in central CT told me that the furthest he ever had to drive to pick up a car was Syracuse (4 hours) but rarely has to go outside CT (2 hours). I closed my deal around 6:30 PM on a Wednesday night and he had my color on his lot by 2:00 PM the next day.

* I found that if I started my price at 5-6% above dealer cost, almost every dealer (~ 12) replied with an offer. Only one came in at my price. This was in about 1 hour. I then sent a second email out about 4 hours (5 PM) after my first email offer and mentioned what the best offer was at that time and asked for "best and final" offers and got two offers at $1000 below my original offer price. They were not from my preferred, closest dealer, but I phoned him and gave him the courtesy of matching the lowest offer which he did. I then drove out and put down the deposit and filled out the paperwork. From start of my email process to deposit was 5.5 hours. If a dealer phoned me ( and I did not include my phone number but some figured it out), I had them put into voice mail. I may have been able to get another $500 or so knocked off if I kept it up for a few days or a week but it was not worth the hassle to me. My dealer told me that the price I got was $2000 less than the next cheapest price he had ever agreed to. May be BS, but it was the last day of the month and the quarter (which is very important in my view due to the incentives they get at both of those time points).

* I have had the car for 3 weeks now and love it. Just got back from a 6 day tour of colleges with my wife and HS daughter to parts unknown and had the nav system get us everywhere, and even recommend restaurants (using Zagat's), all of which worked out great. The nav system does have its strangenesses (as do all), and if you know a local area well, you will disagree with its routing, but it will get you exactly where you need to be, perhaps a few minutes longer driving then if you were a local. The quickness with which it re calculates directions is amazing.

* My bluetooth Motorola V710 has synced perfectly with the car, except that some of the phone's symbols do not show up on the dash (such as signal strength or phone number of incoming call). I was at my Verizon store today and talked to a knowldegable technician who said that even wiht the software upgrade for the V710, Acura RLs and TLs will not display all info on the car's dash. It is a Verizon/Motorala blue tooth issue; nothing to do with Acura.

I also thank everyone who writes on the board; it has been one of the most useful boards I have ever used.

From rainy CT (where I used my wipers for the first time today and drove intentionally through the deepest puddles I could find with no hydroplaning), drive happy and safely,

DIB
    Thanks for that additional info. After this process, I now feel fully prepared to purchase another car - too bad I'm so happy with the RL.

As an aside, have you gotten the AcuraLink working with your phone?
  • algoodmanalgoodman Posts: 21
    The new V710 software will allow the phone to display signal strength and battery charge bars on the RL. It will not allow diagnostic information to and from your dealer to be transferred. That part of the Bluetooth software is still disabled by Verizon.
  • dibdib Posts: 9
    Does the new V710 software upgrade show the incoming phone number or address book name assigned within the phone's address book on the RL display? That way I could decide whehter to answer or not.

DIB
  • algoodmanalgoodman Posts: 21
    I haven't got any incoming calls recently but I don't think the new software does anything other than display phone signal strength and battery charge.
  • mikej1543mikej1543 Posts: 13
    Hi:

You got a good deal. Being in New Hampshire, I'd be interested in knowing where you were able to buy your RL, since I'm probably in reach of that dealership.

Thanks
  • scoop4scoop4 Posts: 40
    Thanks for the additional notes on the best ways to purchase a new RL.

Is the 2006 RL due out before the fall? Is it worth waiting to try and get a better deal on a 2005? Is there the chance that there will be significant improvements to the current model to warrant the wait?

Also, what is the best way to strike a deal before purchase on upgrades like wood steering wheel or wood shifter knob? Also I intend on doing a trade and possibly paying for the car as opposed to a lease or loan.
  • pjt6970pjt6970 Posts: 38
    Good deal?
  • consult77consult77 Posts: 26
    Opinions:

The RL just came out so I don't think there will be major changes.

In doing searches of dealer inventories Acura dealers seem to have lots of RL's in stock. They typically have more than they have TL's and yet they sell a lot more TL's. This makes me think they have too many RL's since inventory goals are usually based on days of sales.

Honda doesn't seem to offer customer incentives to move cars but they do offer incentives to their dealers. At present they have incentives to dealers on Accords for example. I believe this is because Accord sales are down and Toyota has rebates on Camry's.

I would have to believe that they will offer significant dealer incentives on the RL's as the new model year approaches and perhaps even large incentives if there is an inventory over-hang of 2005's with 2006's on the lots. You might want to continually check the Edmunds.com section on dealer incentives as the year progresses.

Getting quotes from multiple dealers always seems like the best way to take advantage of whatever market conditions exist.
    The other "incentive" with the RL is that it already has around a $5500 markup when you factor in the dealer hold-back. As it is, there are excellent deals available on this car. The car was priced too high out of the box, and that is surely impacting its sales to a degree, relative to a very competitive field of choices. We paid about $45500 for ours about a month ago. It's an excellent car, overall.
    I've read a number of comments about the RL being overpriced but am not sure I agree. The MSRP of a comparably equipped AWD Lexus GS is $3-4K more. On a Mercedes (e.g., 4matic E350) its about $7-10K more. Prior to purchasing my RL, I drove and priced the Lexus and Mercedes vehicles. In my conversations with dealers, Acura was the most willing to negotiate on price. By buying my RL for just under $45K, I believe I got a car that I would have had to pay $7-10K more had I bought a comparable model from Lexus or Mercedes.

I owned a Mercedes E class for five years. While there were many things I loved about the car, it had lots of problems. The blower was replaced three times and never worked properly. The AC was abysmal (which was in part related to the blower problems). The radio controls were unintelligible and the reception was comical. I actually wrote a letter to Mercedes about some of these problems and got a totally unsatisfactory response from the company. But the thing that really irritated me was the poor resale value. Had I bought either a Lexus or an Acura instead of my Mercedes I would have recouped a much higher percentage of the original car's value at the time I sold it. I have spoken with a number of other Mercedes owners who have had similar problems, many of whom have switched brands (typically to Lexus). The $10K more for the Mercedes seemed unjustifiable in my book. I can't say the RL will be better in all respects, but there are many ways in which it would be hard to be worse than the Mercedes. I strongly considered the Lexus, even at a higher price. I have had two Lexus's and loved them. I was put off by the fact that Lexus will be releasing the 3.5 liter engine next year. It seemed like I would want to wait a year rather than by the AWD GS this year. Had they been more willing to negotiate on price, I might have gotten over this misgiving.

Just to round out my research, I looked briefly at the A6 but felt that Audi had many of the same problems as Mercedes. While I did not consider the Infiniti M, I am aware of the positive reviews it has received and feel I probably should have taken the car for a test drive. As things stand, I couldn't be happier with my purchase (though I'm keeping my fingers crossed).