Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Well-Suited for Longer Road Trips - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Chevrolet
Well-Suited for Longer Road Trips - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Taking a road trip in the Edmunds long-term 2016 Chevrolet Volt.

Read the full story here

Comments

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Well, the electricity on the return trip was free for you, no?
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Thanks for the update and details. Good to know these numbers.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I live very close to Los Gatos and I've heard Manresa is excellent. But alas, I'm too cheap to spend a month's worth of groceries on a dinner.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I'm a little confused. Based on my reading your mpg are based on the total miles driven divided by the gasoline consumed. But gasoline wasn't consumed during the periods of electric-only driving. So the mpg number isn't especially meaningful. Based on the numbers given here the only actual mpg we can calculated is 258 miles (300-42) / 7.657 gallons which comes to about 34 mpg. If you had to get back in the car and keep on driving without a chance to recharge, I guess this is the mpg you could expect for the rest of your long distance trip. I think this is pretty impressive given that the Volt isn't optimized for these conditions, but you'd do better in one of many similarly sized gasoline-only cars if you had to drive on a long road trip without opportunities to charge.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    legacygt said:

I'm a little confused. Based on my reading your mpg are based on the total miles driven divided by the gasoline consumed. But gasoline wasn't consumed during the periods of electric-only driving. So the mpg number isn't especially meaningful. Based on the numbers given here the only actual mpg we can calculated is 258 miles (300-42) / 7.657 gallons which comes to about 34 mpg. If you had to get back in the car and keep on driving without a chance to recharge, I guess this is the mpg you could expect for the rest of your long distance trip. I think this is pretty impressive given that the Volt isn't optimized for these conditions, but you'd do better in one of many similarly sized gasoline-only cars if you had to drive on a long road trip without opportunities to charge.

What we need to find out is when they reset the trip meter. If I had a plug-in hybrid, I would use Fuelly to track my fuel consumption. I would reset Trip A every time I filled up and divide total miles driven by gallons pumped. That's how a Ford Fusion Energi owner is reporting averaging 67.4 MPG, with a best tank of 154.1 MPG.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    $450 per person (including wine pairing) for the dinner? Guess you do need to save on gas!
  • ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46

$450 per person (including wine pairing) for the dinner? Guess you do need to save on gas!

expense account?
  • ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46
    I agree with above comments regarding the MPG, would be more interesting to have separated out the gas engine portion and the electric portion rather than just the total MPG.