Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Comments

• tlcruztlcruz Posts: 54
    Came to work and found this over on Inside Line!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123174

Can't wait to hear the stats on this puppy ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    seems rather odd. i mean, here they are hoping a $75k Nissan will sell in the first place and they go and trump the car already? I would think many folks who would have the money for the base version would just as soon wait for the better one, no?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    If the GTR=1/10 of what is being claimed, everyone will want one.

Is there anyone here from Japan that knows how to get one?

- How much will this sucker Cost, including expected steelership markups?
    - Will US Nissan Dealers sell for MSRP?
    - Is Nissan (US) accepting deposits yet?
    - What is avialability (how long to get one).
    - Is it possible to get a shipment direct from Japan..like the European delivery rather than getting it from a dealer?

I fear, if the GTR is a very limited production car, it will demand well over sticker and will take a long time for delivery.

Thanks
    doubt it.

-including expected markup? ummm... my guess is $90k.
    -MSRP? Not bloody likely.
    -dunno. probably some are.
    -dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if wait lists already exceed first year production.
    -no Japanese manufacturer offers Japan delivery ...yet. I believe it has something to do with European companies being able to deliver cars cheaper on their home turf, but Japanese don't? I dunno. Taxes or something. I'm sure there is an explanation in there somewhere.

It seems this GTR will be a typical supercar in many respects.. even the negative ones.

1.) It will probably command serious markups pushing into Porsche $$. Given the attitudes I've received already from local Nissan dealerships, my guess is that markups will be likely.

2.) It will be limited production -> meaning long waiting times.

3.) It will probably be very high maintenance given its extreme complexity.

If the above prove to be true, it'll be a show stopper in terms of impacting Porsche 911 or BMW M3 sales. It may edge into Z06 sales though. The sad part is, it almost looked as if this Nissan would be kinda like a Robin Hood for poor auto enthusiasts. :( The thought of owning a supercar for $66k lifted many a poor enthusiast spirits. The disappointment will be crushing, especially if the performance and driving experience rumors prove out to be true.

Joseph
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    Since GT-R will have tires that are not filled by air but rather by nitrogen to null temperature effect, how are you going to inflate your tires when you need to and how about getting new set of tires?
    I will wait to see if GT-R lives up to its name. I think it will.
    Cannot wait until 2010 to get my hands on GT-R.
  • pmc4pmc4 Posts: 198
    ...Will no doubt be a good car when it does go on sale here. However, it will fall to the same fate that the Corvette Z06 did; in fact, perhaps even worse.

The GT-R is a front-engine car; the Corvette is mid-engine. Therefore, more weight will be at the GT-R's front wheels, meaning a loss of steering feel (the main and only failing of the Z06). Corvette's mid-front setup means better steering feel, but still behind rear-engine cars like the Porsche 911 or mid/rear engine cars like the Porsche Cayman or the old Acura NSX.

The Z06 is still the more exotic out of the two (aluminum, magnesium and carbon fiber versus Nissan's steel frame), so we can expect the Z06-with a more rear-bias, will almost certainly guarantee the Z06 the better handler.

Any differing opinions from a technical standpoint?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    How do they compare weight-wise?

Have you taken into account AWD v. RWD?

Are we talking on a road course? Highway? Drag?

I know I've ran laps around Z06s in my Legacy GT Wagon at Watkins Glen in anything but "picture perfect" conditions.

-mike
  • tlcruztlcruz Posts: 54
    Inside Line just announced the pricing.

$69, 850 for the base model
    and
    $71,900 for the premium model

This includes the delivery charges. They will be taking pre-orders on January 1st, 2008 and will officially go on sale in June.

They will only be building 1,500 a year and will later announce the dealership locations of these bad boys :)
    "How do they compare weight-wise?

Have you taken into account AWD v. RWD?

Are we talking on a road course? Highway? Drag?

I know I've ran laps around Z06s in my Legacy GT Wagon at Watkins Glen in anything but "picture perfect" conditions."

Since the GT-R weighs in at 3,800 pounds (200 pounds more than most luxury cars in the $50,000 range and as heavy as the Buick V8 Lucerne) and the Corvette barely tests 3,000 pounds, we can expect both handling and performance to be better in the Corvette than the GT-R.
    The GT-R does have AWD, but then again, so do most rally cars. This car should have been a Subaru, not a Nissan.
    Hmm I road race Subarus and we do quite well despite the weight penalty due to the AWD really helping out by keeping the car in line. For most folks AWD will yield faster track times despite the extra weight. Only top drivers can actually control a RWD car faster than an AWD one through the twisties.

-mike
    "Hmm I road race Subarus and we do quite well despite the weight penalty due to the AWD really helping out by keeping the car in line. For most folks AWD will yield faster track times despite the extra weight. Only top drivers can actually control a RWD car faster than an AWD one through the twisties."

I'll agree with this correct reply, but remember. The Corvette Z06 nearly broke a performance record on Top Gear, yet its front/mid engine layout means there's going to be a handling penalty. For this reason, the Porsche GT3 generally beats the Corvette Z06 in comparison tests among automotive journalists, even though the Vette slaughters the 911 in performance.

THe GT-R shall suffer the same fate; even worse, than the Corvette Z06. Why? Because, like the Z06, the GT-R has the weight up front (because that's where the engine is), hindering road feel and general handling.

And its porky, 3,800 curb weight will most certainly make the car lose to the Corvette and most other near-exotics, unless it's compared against the Ferrari GT cars (in which case the Nissan GT-R should win easily since Ferrari GT cars aren't that special or competent)

I'm sorry it has to be this way but that's what happens when the manufacturer decides on a front-engine configuration.
    The benefit to front-engine placement over rear or mid-engine placement is a concentrated polar moment located at and near the front wheels, lending to high-cornering stability over mid-engine cars like the GT3 and F430.
    Why do people keep saying the vette is a mid-engine car? I thought mid-engine was something like a Lotus Esprit and the Boxster where the engine was over the rear axle, rear engine is behind the rear axle and front engine is anything in front of the driver?

Just curious as I'm not real adept on the nomenclature of a mid-engine car, I guess cause the z06 engine is behind the front axle.

-mike
    The Z06 is a two seater, the GTR has 4. The Corvette comes with mid-life crisis stigma. The Z06's handling has been described as scary by expert drivers.
    The GTR has been compared to the 911T and one writer has said the GTR feels more planted. I am a bit concerned about the weight and steering feel which has not been elaborated upon yet. If the GTR's steering feel is better than the fuged E92 M3's, the GTR wil be a good choice for me and I bet many many others.

Joseph
    "Why do people keep saying the vette is a mid-engine car? I thought mid-engine was something like a Lotus Esprit and the Boxster where the engine was over the rear axle, rear engine is behind the rear axle and front engine is anything in front of the driver?"

Think about it. By your admission, a rear-engine car is one where the engine is placed behind the rear axle, and a mid-engine car is one where the engine is placed in front of the rear axle.

Both definitions are correct.

It stands to reason, therefore, that a car where the engine is in front of the front axle is a front-engine car, and a car where the engine is behind the front axle is a mid-engine car.

The Corvette has its engine located behind the front axle. By definition, then, the Corvette is a mid-engine car.
    The Z06 is a mid-engine, near-exotic.

The Corvette is considered a front/mid-engine and the Porsche Cayman or Acura NSX is considered a rear/mid engine.
    Both are mid-engine cars.

Hope that helps! :)
    Mid-life stigma attached to the Corvette is questionable. But regardless, both the GT3 and Z06 are twichy at their adhesion limits.
    THe GT-R, being a front-engined car that weighs a ton, in no way, shape or form can out-handle anything with a rear-weight bias unless tires were so selected to reduce polar adhesion.

It's no difficult task to make a car that handles better than the E90 M3 unless we're talking about luxury cars...
    Thanks for the definitions, didn't realize there was a front-midengine definition in there. :)

-mike
    THe GT-R, being a front-engined car that weighs a ton, in no way, shape or form can out-handle anything with a rear-weight bias unless tires were so selected to reduce polar adhesion.

I wish I could find the article to post, but I know this can't be true because the GT-R has already found its way into 5th or 6th fastest production car in history around the nurburgring, and they say they aren't done trying to climb even higher in the ranks.

"I wish I could find the article to post, but I know this can't be true because the GT-R has already found its way into 5th or 6th fastest production car in history around the nurburgring, and they say they aren't done trying to climb even higher in the ranks."

Wasn't teh article in Road and Track?

In any case, I will not dispute your claim here; the GT-R should run near 7's at the 'ring. But performance around this road course and superlative handling characteristics are two different animals altogether. We have already learned that the Z06 wins awards for its track and road coarse performance, but falls (just a little bit) short in handling when compared to the rear-biased supercars (F430, etc) due to front-mid engine configuration.

THe GT-R with the rubber that will generate a high 'ring finish will certainly also guarantee twichier handling (EMT tires will be the handling downfall for this car just as it was for the Z06).

...Do NOT expect first-place finishes for this car (GT-R) in upcoming comparisons against the rear-mid competitors (F430, rear 911, etc.). Again, it will be aptly and appropriately compared against the Corvette Z06; this is not a battle of idealogues.
    How much do you think this GTR will "REALY" cost?

From what I'm reading, Nissan steelerships are drooling and foamming at the mouth at their chance to rip sucker enthusiasts off. If true, it would make the 69k price a gimmick. :mad:

Joseph
    San Diego