Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R

boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
edited June 9 in Nissan
First of all, please don't kill this thread.

Will the Skyline ever come to the US?
Motortrend has it listed as a Future Vehicle for 2007:

2007 Nissan Skyline GT-R : Nissan says the next Infiniti flagship might not be a Q45 sedan replacement, and hints that the Skyline GT-R supercar that appeared as a concept in '01 could be the next flagship. And now the bad news: the GT-R won't launch until calendar year 2007.

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2007fvf/index7.html

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    I'll give it a week. Do a keyword search here on "skyline" and you'll find the many other topics that have died after ~10 posts.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    CarSpyShots has some pictures of a test-mule running around Lotus' testing ground with an R34 GTR. The test-mule is basically the G35 coupe with a Nissan logo and a G35 badge...but underneath it has the new engine and suspension.
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    CarSpyShots eh? Got an address or anything?

If it does come, I'm thinking they'd price it above the G35? I doubt it'll be below the 350Z. Therefore the $26k - $38k range is already taken!
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    CarSpyShots address is carspyshots.tk
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    Yeah, the GT-R has always been expensive. After all it's a G35 (Skyline) plus twin turbo, ATTESA ET-S awd system, and lots of other computing power.
    How close is this going to be to the G35? Or will it be the G35 shell with different internals and some more aggressive dressing?
    The latter, if it's anything like past GT-Rs. Actually the interior shouldn't be all that different except for the instrument panel, which in the last GT-R had computer readouts of the torque distribution, G-forces, and other things. You could record data and plug it into a computer afterwards.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    2007 Infiniti GT-R

It may end up wearing an Infiniti badge, but this next generation Skyline should have all the attitude of its Nissan cousins.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/infiniti/gtr/100486033/preview- .html
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Any idea if they will turbo the VQ 3.5L? Or will they use the V8?
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    I think Nissan will twin turbo charge the V6.

Here is the link on R34 Skyline http://www.j-garage.com/2101.htm
    I think Infiniti will replace current G35 Coupe with R35 Skyline. And, I think R35 will dominate the US AWD market. Also, it will be tunner's dream with this car. We will see some 1000hps Skyline running around soon.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Why would they replace the coupe? The skyline will cost $50K+. Also, the Skyline coupe and GT-R co-exist in Japan.
    My thought is that from marketing point of view, you have 350z, which could take current G35 coupe's place.
    And, by having Infiniti GT-R, yes, not Skyline GT-R, Infiniti division will have a very unique place in the future market in terms of the true sports car that can compete with Porsche 911, Acura NSX, Chevy Corvette, and other Sports cars.
    And, Toyota is bring back Supra, which has been tunner's dream for a long time and it still is.
    It seems like the future segment distinction is getting blurry.
    I think I need to start saving money for 2007 GT-R.
    What is the cost (converted to US dollars) for the current Skyline overseas? Is it the R34 that is still for sell??
    I think they discontinued R34 at 2002, so you can only get a used one. I think it was priced around $55k back then.
  • I have this feeling that the US-market version of the Skyline GT-R due the fall of 2006 as a 2007 model may NOT use the turbocharged V-6 of the Japanese domestic market model. We may instead see a modified version of the 5.6-liter V-8 found on the Nissan Titan truck, but with fuel-delivery system and valvetrain modifications for more sporting performance. My guess on power: probably around 440 bhp. And the car may be designated Infiniti G56R.
    That'd be a pity. It may be a better car out of the box, but those who care really want a "true" GT-R.

Not to mention, turbos can be tuned more easily.
  • A good educated guess. :->

Besides, using a modified Nissan Titan engine for the US-market version of the Skyline GT-R makes sense for a couple of reasons: 1) you can use an engine already in production for the US market (which means less costly emissions certification) and 2) you get lots of horsepower without the complexity of a turbocharging system.
    But you have additional weight added to the car, and that will make already nose heavy GTR even more nose heavy, which cannot be good.
  • My personal guess is that the base engine would be either a modified normally aspirated 3.5L V6 or a turbo V6 producing close to 350 Hp. The optional engine will be a turbo 4.5L V8 producing anywhere from 450 to 500 Hp.
    This is a old article regarding to GT-R.

"It's set to be Japan's fastest and most advanced supercar - but look under the skin and it's Britain's brains which will power Nissan's new GT-R!

Exclusive pictures in the current issue of Auto Express magazine show how the new supercoupé will look when it storms on to our roads, and the cutaway detail reveals the technology which is set to make it the most advanced car in the world. But it's not only Nissan engineers who can claim the credit - our sources say British legend Cosworth has been called in to help tweak the engine, while Lotus is involved in fine-tuning the suspension.

The 'International Specification' GT-R, which will be sold throughout the world for the first time, is set to get a version of the 3.5-litre V6 engine used in the 350Z coupé, but will have electrically assisted twin turbochargers to boost power without sapping too much energy. Cosworth's expertise will be used to make sure the V6's block, head, pistons and crank are all strong enough.

Nissan knows it has to do something really special with the next GT-R, partly because the 350Z performs so well, but also as it's the first globally oriented version of the car, and expectations are high among the 'Playstation generation' of buyers who are familiar with the model from video games consoles.

The company has asked for around 400bhp and 490Nm of torque, but more realistic figures given emissions regulations are 350bhp and 450Nm. To reach production, the car must meet strict Euro4 exhaust regulations. The V6 will be mated to a six-speed Getrag gearbox, with a CVT due a year after launch in early 2005. The auto is undergoing final development, but apparent slippage trouble due to the excessive power has been plaguing prototypes. Insiders have confirmed the GT-R will incorporate an updated version of Nissan's Atessa 4WD system with an active limited slip differential. This new arrangement means torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels not only in response to traction loss, but also as a result of changes in the engine's output.

The FM platform used in the new range of Skyline and Infiniti G35 coupés in Japan and the US is basically good enough, but needs some fine-tuning to handle the extra power - and that's where Lotus comes in. A new hydraulic active suspension system, co-developed with Lotus, will feature. The Norfolk firm's expertise in this area will ensure the car handles like no other GT-R before, and can satisfy the soft-riding expectations of American buyers with the traction and high-speed handling required by the British and German markets.
    Its brakes promise to be special, too, with larger Brembo discs controlled by a newly revised brake-by-wire unit which promises to give the sporty feel and feedback enthusiastic drivers demand.

But while the dynamics are groundbreaking, many fans will be disappointed by the looks. Although the car is clearly linked to the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show concept, some of the more aggressive touches have been watered down in favour of a more mainstream appearance. The final production version will debut at next October's Tokyo event." Peter Lyon
    ============================

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=32040
    Anybody subscribe to this magazine? They have a story about the Skyline, and I was hoping someone could scan it in???
    Hinting on 500hp and nearly $85k (estimates of course)

"Unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon this week, the 500hp GT-R Z-tune is not only the most powerful GT-R ever, but at $170,000, it’s also the most expensive. Why did they make it? Simple. To show what's possible. And when we hinted at any relation to the next generation GT-R due in 2007, Nismo staffers started sucking through their teeth and looking skywards. One thing is for sure. The 2007 GT-R's sticker price will be around half that of the Z-tune but pump out nearly as much power"

http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=- 9092
    Road And Track mentioned $70k range and 450hp. Lotus is said to be working on the suspension and Costworth on the engine.

They posted the same souped up G35 coupe as the pic, the one with groud effects and the rear wing, so nothing new there.
  • What, and adding twin turbos, all the piping, intercooler...etc is going to be light? The overall weight would be close to the same overall.

Plus, the Skyline is currently being sold in the USA. It's called the G35, and if they import this model here, they "should" call is just the GT-R (and whatever number nomenclature they desire)
    Any idea if the technology changes will be passed down (inherited) into the current G35 Coupe? Most curious about AWD...
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    At first when I heard that there might be a Skyline replacement, I was pretty upset.... a Skyline (I thought) should be a Nissan.

But

When I heard that Lotus and Cosworth were both chipping in, I approve :)

Only thing is.... it'll cost bunches more than the original.
    Well... the Skyline has always been sold here as the G35, without the spiffy rear lights, so it makes sense to keep it an Infinity here, I guess. I do wish they called the G35 "Skyline", but whatever. And in Japan, the GT-R was never inexpensive. At all.

It really isn't anything new though. The Skyline GT-R has always been a Skyline coupe with a twin-turbo 6 and ATESSA-ETS (spelling?) torque-varying AWD. Always been an inline 6, but those are proving to be bad for interior space and pedestrian safety (both of which only BMW feels it can do without).

I don't think the GT-R's awd system has ever trickled down to other Skyline models in its most advanced form.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Not the top-end version the GT-R got, but Nissan did use the ATTESSA gear to make AWD Bluebirds (Stanza and Altima) and Sunnys (Sentra) in the early 90s, none of which were ever sold in North America.
This discussion has been closed.