Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi Q7

Comments

• I agree and think the Arcadia looks like a solid buy and I'm in fact recommending it to my mother-in-law.

That said, you've completely ignored one of the main selling points of the Audi which is the interior. The purpose of this vehicle for me(and I think many others)is to be a comfortable family hauler. So I'm not driving this car at limits with two children in the back, but rather trying to get there with sanity in tact... something that is harder to quantify, but definitely viable in this discussion.
  • I'm a Freestyle owner and love it, by the way, NOT an Acadia owner, but was hoping an American CUV could beat the Q7 and was hoping someone on this forum knew about the Q7's performance compared to other CUVs. If you feel uncomfortable comparing the Q7 against other CUVs, then skip this text.

The reasons given for the superiority of the Q7 which I think have some validity are:
    (1) Q7 build quality may be better (not sure) than Acadia
    (2) Resale value of the Audi should be better
    (3) Q7's engine sounds better; less thrashy
    (4) Q7 may be quieter inside (not sure); comfort better

However, the Q7 shows some HUGE flaws in MPG and excess weight. If I was paying big bucks for a Q7, I'd ask for use of more structurally efficient materials. Expensive golf clubs should be carbon-fiber, not steel!
  • I am contemplating a Q7 S Line Package with the 20" wheels, all season tires. A dealer (who has no S Lines in stock) told me there have been problems with the tires blowing out over potholes. I live around NYC and we have potholes. Does anyone have experience with these rims / tires? Any problems with the tires blowing out?
  • kkelly2kkelly2 Posts: 5
    I recently test drove the Q7 and before I went took note of your point regarding the booster seats. I actually took my son's booster (he's 6 and tall) and put it in the Q7 to see how it fit. I will agree with you that the back of the booster doesn't fit exactly flush with the seat, but I would't say that the headrest caused the booster to lean forward. There was maybe an inch gap at the widest point.

Interestingly enough, the Audi salesman put the booster back in my car and pointed out to me that the same gap exists in my Landcruiser! So I don't think this issue is only an Audi issue.
  • dpeck1dpeck1 Posts: 51
    Perhaps not, but read the booster instructions - must fit flush with the seat - otherwise, in a collision, seat could crack or worse. Just be guided accordingly. Just because it happens in a few other models doesn't make it safe. That's all. Good luck.
  • hoosbesthoosbest Posts: 39
    Trying reclining the sleep slightly. All cars with the non removable headrests in the second row have the same issue. The XC90 was worse than the Q7 for headrest and room.
  • suomi8suomi8 Posts: 16
    I have a question for all the Q7 owners on this board. I was recently considering purchasing a 3.6 Premium. My parents have a 4.2 Premium that I love the look of (inside and out) which made me interested in the vehicle in the first place. However they told me not to buy the Q7 since they hate the drive of the car. I had never really driven their car too much but they told me that their Q7 is very sluggish in the lower gears (1st, 2nd and even 3rd) and even jumps/hiccups when upshifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd or downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. I drove their Q7 4.2 and sure enough it is a very sluggish ride and does indeed hiccup between the low gears. We all thought that they just got a bad Q7 and needed to bring it back to the dealer to get it fixed. So even though I was less than impressed with their ride I still went to test drive a 3.6 and the dealer was nice enoug to give it to me for the weekend. Well to my absolute disapointment my 3.6 had the exact same drive problems their 4.2 did. It is very sluggish feeling in the lower gears and hiccups everytime we brake it. There is no way that we happened to get two bad Q7's so I figure it had to be a problem with the entire line of Q7's. However I read all 520 messages on this board and not one person mentions the sluggish drive or the jumpy gear shifting.

So my question is this, is my entire family crazy for noticing the sluggish transmission and hiccups, did we get two bad Q7's, or has anyone else noticed these problems? I absolutely love the car but cannot justify spending 60K on a car that drives as poorly as the two Q7's I have driven. I am dying to hear the opinion of the Q7 owners on this issue.
  • kkelly2kkelly2 Posts: 5
    Like you I have been looking at the Q7 and have read almost every review out there. I do recall seeing several people describe your issue and I felt it myself in a test drive. One person said they moved into the fast lane to pass a slower car and the car hesitated almost thinking about what to do. Someone else said that Audi acknowledges it as a Quattro trait. So, no, you are not alone.

It is one of the reasons I've hesitated to buy frankly ...
  • homantaghomantag Posts: 21
    I think the repsonse depends on the conditions you are driving in. I do not have the 4.2, I have the 3.7 premium (and just got it).

I have noticed that the sluggishness can esaily be overcome for my driving purposes when I put the car into "S" mode as opposed to simply in "D". I think the shifting is pretty smooth for the amount of torque coming out. I can say that the repsonse on downshiftingn when trying to accellerate while in motion could be better, but if you manually downshift, that can basically be overcome as well (though you have to downshift quite a few gears).

As far as jumpiness, I have nto really noticed what you are describing (maybe it is too early, and I have not driven the car enough yet). In traffic however, I noticed that while going slow, the brake is very sensitive - so if I just tap the brake, it will brake harder than I would have thought (causing a sudden stopping feeling). Not sure if that is the same as what you are describing or different.

Hopefully, this would help. Easiest way to figure this out for yourself (though probably time-consuming depending on where you live), is to go test-drive a few cars at various dealerships. Since you already know how two of them drive, it should be easy for you to compare with several others that are on dealership lots.
  • suomi8suomi8 Posts: 16
    Thanks for both of your replies. I am happy to see I am not crazy!

kkelly2 - I am in the same boat as you where I really wanted to buy the car but I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on that kind of ride. If it is indeed a quatro trait then that really depresses me since I love the Audi brand otherwise. We decided on the Mazda CX-9 instead. Granted it is not in the same class of car as the Audi, but we thought the ride was 10 times better and peppier to boot. For a Mazda it is finished impeccably well and it doesnt hurt that we saved 20K. Good luck with your decision!

homantag - I am glad you are enjoying your Q7. I wish I liked the ride better since I would be enjoying my Q7 as well then. I do agree that the ride is much better and more fun in "S" mode as opposed to "D". Definitely not as sluggish but still kind of jumpy in my opinion, certainly still jumpy when decelerating. I would also agree with you that the brakes are very sensitive, definitely something that needs to be learned. Anyway, enjoy your Q7 and I hope it continues to be an enjoyable ride for you!

Anyone else have any opinions on this?
  • klickklick Posts: 15
    I can honestly say that I have not experienced any of the problems you describe either in our Q7 or in any of the 6 or 7 others that I have driven. I have also not come across anyone else in any of the main Audi forums complaining of any such problems. I tend to be hypersensitive to things like that, but I've found the transmission and drivetrain of the Q7 to be terrific in every respect.

I also can't say that I find the brakes to be too sensitive, but that may just be because I've become accustomed to the brake feel of Audis. Conversely I find most non-German cars to have horrible brake feel.
  • chitownq7chitownq7 Posts: 17
    I have no problems with acceleration, and think that my 3.6 premium shifts quite smooth and quick.

The braking, however, I do notice is VERY sensitive when driving in stop and go traffic.
  • ayyateayyate Posts: 53
    I hope I can help put to rest the notion that hesitation or jumpiness is a quattro trait. I will say up front that I have not driven the Q7 and just ventured into the Q7 board out of curiosity. But, as the owner of four quattro cars (Two A8's, A6, allroad), I can tell you none have ever displayed these characteristics. Further, I have two friends who have had a total of five quattro equipped cars between them, all without this behavior. It is true that none of these 9 Audis was a Q7, however. So maybe it is a Q7 trait, but it does not cross the entire Audi line.
  • lej1447lej1447 Posts: 16
    I have 3.6 Premium and 1K miles with no such problem. On the other hand, I have such problem on my old 12-yr-old Grand Cherokee. :> )
  • kaia1kaia1 Posts: 2
    Any thoughts we're a family of 4 planning on a 3rd child and trying to figure out the safest, performance handling and cost effective decision.

I'd love to ideally put 2 boosters and one infant seat across the 2nd row. And not use the 3rd row.

We're considering the Q7, Volvo XC90 and Acura MDX.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kai
  • klickklick Posts: 15
    In terms of safety, I think they are comparable.

In terms of performance and handling, the Audi and MDX are comparably sporty but different in feel, while the Volvo is decidedly less sporty.

In terms of cost, none of these are exactly cost effective options, but the Volvo would be the most cost effective (particularly in v6 trim), followed by the Acura and then the Audi.

As for putting 3 across the 2nd row, you should be able to do that in the Audi and Acura but I don't know if you can in the Volvo.
  • clarkuclarku Posts: 14
    I would definitely consider the Volvo XC90 if you want to fit three young kids in the 2nd row. The XC90 has the center seat in the 2nd row that can move forward for easy access. Also have noticed that there are a few dealers in the Boston area offering $7k off ALL XC90s in stock, pretty good deal. I'm actually thinking of trading in my XC70 for one but the Q7 is what I'm drooling over.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,980
  • I had heard rumors of a DVD entertainment option coming mid year on the Q7. I contacted Audi and they will neither confirm or deny the rumor. Does anyone have any information on this? Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • I have not driven the MDX or the XC90 but i would say that if you want performance handling the Q7 is your best bet (make sure you get the 20" wheels b/c they dont smush into the corners). It really drives like a vehicle half its size (which is very large. 10 inches longer than the other two you mentioned). It is extremely safe, as is the Volvo, but it probably uses newer technology so that might be a factor in your decision. I know that the Volvo has and probably will have reliability problems, and the Audi will probably be average (although so far i have had zero problems with mine). Acura is always good in that catagory. Based on styling id pick the Q7 hands down, inside and out. All are nice, but so far the Q7 has been my absolute favorite owned car to date and it blends so may aspects of a vehicle together so well (luxury, versatility, space, handling, styling, etc). If you decide not to go for that than the Mdx would be my next choice just because it seems that it is using more updated technology b/c its newer. But the Volvo is not a bad car either...