Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi Q7

Comments

• grn95grn95 Posts: 48
    Looking for a wider 20" tire for the rear of Audi Q7 like the BMW X5. Anyone know of a size that would work? Discount Tire recommends a 295/45/20 which is a little taller and a little wider. If you do the research on BMW X5 the rear tire is alot wider but the overall diameter is the same as the front.
  • grn95grn95 Posts: 48
    I realize most people who own an Audi will not perform their own maintenance/service but how different can changing battery, brakes, oil changes be from other SUV's?
  • Hi Josephy.
    I´ve a an Audi Q7 TDI 3.0 from 2007 which have the vibration problems i´n the steering wheel and the body of the car from 0 km/h and up. My local dealer have tested my car and says that "on these can of car with low profile tires you´´ve to accept these vibrations". My car had on the test drive wintertires - 235/55/18 = no low profile tires. Still this technican expext told me BS the hold ride - I told him to shut up and fell the vibration in the car. He finally admitted that it was vibration in this 100.000 USD car - it´s a lot of options on the car and this European cars are much more expensive in Europe than in the US !!! The Audi dealer will take in my car for a real investigation of the problem. Audi Sweden " doesn´t know of these vibration problems". They will put it under the carpets and don´t won´t to know of the problem. I got my parent´s friend to help me out - he´s the former service boss of this local dealer and will fight for my right which I´m happy for.

Anyway, If I´m have understand your post on this forum right you found new heavier control arms by youself or by your dealer to your Q7? From which company in Germany did you found these and do you remember the price of those ?

Please let me know because I don´t think that my local dealer will fix a thing to fix my problem on my car which give me numb fingers while driving the car for longer trips !

Please contact me on: per.cederberg@newbuilding.se

Sincerlely Per Cederberg
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please contact me on: ...

Let's keep the discussion right here so as not to deprive members of valuable information. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mml7mml7 Posts: 55
    I realize most people who own an Audi will not perform their own maintenance/service but how different can changing battery, brakes, oil changes be from other SUV's?

It's not a lot different, to be honest. However, like the Touareg and Cayenne, the battery is located under the driver's seat. This not only supposedly helps with weight distribution but also with (ironically with people whose batteries have prematurely died) longevity as it seals it from the elements. By the book, however, Audi (actually the Bentley Manual) indicates that you have to remove the driver's seat to get to the compartment in order to replace the battery.

The brakes on the Q7 are made by Brembo and can easily be replaced by yourself if you have some skill.

The V8 uses somewhere around 9-10 quarts of full synthetic. At ~$6/quart, that's about $60 for the oil + ~$15 for the filter. All told, you're looking at probably an hour's worth+ of labor once you're removed (and reinstalled) all of the body pans. If your dealer charges $100/hour in labor, then that'd be ~$175 just for an oil change.. And in a few extra dollars as padding.....well, people don't call them "stealerships" for nothing ;)
  • moymoy Posts: 7
    I test drove an 2009 Audi Q7 last weekend and found the seats to be be stiff. I also test drove a BMW X5, Hyndai Genesis and Lexus, but found those seats to be very plush and soft. Are all Audi seats this way? Do they have some sort of break-in period?

The vehicle drove great and was very nice, but if I am not comfortable sitting in the car, then that is a deal killer for me.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    How long was your test drive? Sometimes firm seats do better on longer trips than the ones that initially feel plush.

My sister's old New Beetle had firm seats but I went on several 8+ hour trips with her in it and they were very comfortable and supportive.

And maybe the seats break you in? :shades:
  • moncadmoncad Posts: 6
    I am few months aways from returning a leased 2007 Q7 V6. The Q7 has been reliable, except for the very stiff ride. I am most likely not re-leasing another one, and would consider the X5 or MB. good luck.
  • Hello there,

I´ve had my Q7 for almost 2 years. It the best car I ever had. Use to be an owner of a BMW 4.4 X5 V8 petrol. It was a great car and handling very good and comfortable. But after upgrading to a Q7 V6 diesel and chip-tuned it - I´ll never have a petrol car anymore because the power of a diesel even with less cylinders is much more powerful and takes less fuel.

Regarding the hard seats: I´m not sure what kind of cars that you have had before but I´m sure that after driving many hours in a Q7 you will not be tired in your back.
    Perhaps you tested one with sportseats - don´t choose that kind of seats. Good for sporty driving but how often do you that taking your family for a long trip. I´m using my car daily in the city, driving many times 2 to 6 hours drives - haven´t had time yet for a long trip in Europe yet but I think that I will not be tired in my back after 15 hours of driving. I have had many Audi´s - one of my favorite was a Audi 200 turbo that I bought in California 1990 and had for many years and also brought back to my homecountry. The quality by that time was not so good. Today, MB/BMW/Lexus etc try to come up to the same quality - so far to my knowledge one company haven´t come up to that quality - if we not talking RR/Bently etc but then it´s 3-5 times the price !

Tell you dealer to test a Q7 with comfort seats and a diesel engine for a long test drive - V6 or V8 - the V12 - is a killer in performance but also a killer in price. However, can you afford the V12 . buy it - it has the same performance as the Porsche Cayenne Turbo V8 petrol !!! I´m sure you will like it !

Good luck in your testing !

Pelle from Sweden
  • hpw900hpw900 Posts: 1
    A friend of mine is selling a 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium Quattro with 35K miles. He's asking $35K for it (but I can probably get him down to around $32,500). Realistically if I bought the car I'd sell it again in 3 years (for a number of work and family related reasons).

My question is (since the Q7 is a relatively new car) is there any way to determine what I might be able to get for the car in 3 years if I tried to sell it? Basically my fear is ending up owing more on the car in 3 years than I can sell it for. I'd probably put about 11K miles on the car a year so it'd have about 68K miles on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated ...
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    I believe the 07 is the first year for the Q7. Avoid any first year vehicle -- especially a euro import.
  • I have been looking to upgrade my SUV. I have been researching a lot and reading many customer reviews. I have narrowed my choice to the Audi Q7 and the Acura MDX. Both seem to have similar safety ratings and features. I was hoping for some insights from owners. Which one should I buy? Thanks for the help.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    The mdx is cheaper but nice -- much better reliability. The audi is plusher more expensive to buy and service. Reliability isn't great. The audi has a much different character. Drive both -- price both -- you will probably come to a decision on your own.
  • Has anyone yet turned in a Q7 from lease? If so, what were your experiences? What did they try to charge you with? Did the dealer try to get you to buy it?
  • I was really excited about the clean diesels until I read a review comparing the Q7, BMW X5 and MB GL350. Yes, the cars do provide different driving experiences. This is why for the money and 3rd row utility I like the Q7. However, the one thing I read that concerned me was about the type of fuel. Can the Q7 use US standard diesel or is there some kind of ultra low sulphur diesel that is required? What about use of biodiesel, can you use it in the 2010 Q7 or BMW for that matter? I also didn't realize the Q7 needed the AdBlue or whatever urea solution Audi calls it. For that matter, can you interchange the urea solutions used in the Audi and MB and is there a generic version you can by from Pep Boys? I'm just worried that if you run out and there's no local dealer around what the options are. :confuse:
  • dpixdpix Posts: 7
    I've been researching the 2007 & 2008 Q7's here on edmunds and I see that people seemed to have issues with the brakes and rotors going bad at about 18k. My question is would these issues be fixed as part of the "certified" inspection process? For example, if the rotor and brake problem has been fixed for 2009 will the new parts be a part of the 2007/2008 models?
  • calq7calq7 Posts: 4
    I've got a 2007 Q7 with just over 45K in miles. I am just to the point of needing new pads on the front brakes and have learned that the rotors on these cars are relatively soft and generally require replacement with each new set of pads. That will st you back more that 1000 dollars at the Audi dealer for the front rotors. I have not heard about a lot of other brake roblems. However, stay away from the 3.6 liter engine. They have had a lot of vibration problems at speeds between 50 to 70 mph. That problem is well documented on this site and Audi doesn't seem to have an answer
  • dino2kdino2k Posts: 9
    Hi, I have an 09 Q7 3.6 premium S line with nav for about 2 1/2 yrs now, no problem so far yet except for the poor brake noise since the beginning. I know this might sound lame but am I the only one that finds this special destination in the nav a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. Instead of letting you pick a name for a POI, you have to pick those criteria that they give or the address. But what if you dont know the address but you do know the name of the POI. Audi does not give me that option to manually spell out my destination. I found that all those options aren't that useful since its better for us to look for the names because it is easier. I haven't updated my dvd nav system yet but I was wondering if they would have an updated version and more easier friendly nav for people to use. Audi just makes this navigation really difficult for customers to use. Any feedback would be great. Thank you.
  • cwoolridgecwoolridge Posts: 1
    I have had my Q7 now for almost 2 years and put a 150 000 km on her with normal diesel and not low sulpher diesel and seem no have absolutely no issues