Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
http://content.subaru.com/sub/misc/04miamiAutoShow/index.html

Here's the first concrete info on the new large upscale Subaru 7-passenger crossover. The car will debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

Bob

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    A lot of people will think Benign X when they read the name.

Plus, the engine is likely a Boxer 6, B6 would have had more meaning. Maybe B6T if it turns out to be a turbo.

Wife took one peek and said "Lexus" immediately. She thought it was the RX330. I guess that's good, that model is very successful.

I see Murano in the window line, and right away I worry about blind spots. Visibility in every current Subie is a strong point, here is might not be.

Allowing for a very aggressive looking sketch, I still see a very handsome vehicle. Thumbs up. Looks muscular and thoroughly modern.

The grille opening turned out small, and the hood lines match. Definitely see hints of Alfa Romeo influence given Zapatinas' background.

Nice "wings" on each side of the grille too. Headlights are B11S-ish, look good.

They might actually square off the back more than I thought, for decent 3rd row space.

I like the fender flares, they're not overdone but look muscular and designed-in rather than tacked on.

-juice
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Rims look to be about 25". :o)

Built-in fogs.

Doors are square at bottom, as Bob pointed out, like the Suburban (not Tahoe). Indeed, a very long wheelbase would be required if they implement that.

I like the character line running from B- to D-pillar. Makes the vehicle look wide, squat.

Pretty much what I expected, though I think styling turned out better than I thought.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    so the accuracy is most likely way off in terms of proportions and scale. Remember the sketch of the B11S and the actual car? Expect the same kind of differences here. Still, the direction is confirmed, and I like what I see so far.

Need to get some hard info... Come on Detroit!!!

Bob
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I really cant think of a worse vehicle name in recent automotive history. Sure, some nonsensical ones, but Benign-X? Agree with Juice- most people are going to see that in the name, and the mags are going to have a field day unless this thing is anything other than fire on wheels.

Looks very decent, though. VDC is a must. If Subaru can't provide this on at least as an option on the base model, its not a contender. Hell, the RAV4, CRV, and Tucson (whose squat stance I see a bit of in this SUV) have it STANDARD.

~alpha
    B = Boxer (we knew that)

9 = 9 points of style. Huh? That's what the mini site says. Pretty weak justification, if you ask me. So does that mean if there is a future B3, it will only have "3 points of style?" Subaru clearly needs to re-think the name justification—and in a hurry!

X = Crossover (we knew that, sort of...)

Bob
    The lower cladding may have a "dimpled" pattern, not unlike the surface of the Forester's dashboard. I wonder if it has a rubber-like cushion to it?

http://www.subdriven.com/news/publish/Subaru_News/article_280.sht- - ml

Bob
    But at least Toureg means nothing in the minds of consumers. I dont think B9 (benign) is an overwhelmingly positive connotation to have about a prospective $30,000 purchase. I posited the name to my 49 mother, and she was like "Why the hell would anyone name a car that... it sounds like 'benign'". Coming from a woman who cares not about cars.

~alpha
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    alpha, you are trying to hard. Do you think anyone cares that the Audi A8 = "ate", the Corvette C6 = "seasicks", or the WRX = "wrecks"? Maybe if you're one of those guys who loves to stare at vanity plates, but 99% of the people out there will not notice or care. You can make a goofy word out of almost any marketing name if you try hard enough!

Before you guys get enamored with the artist's sketch, look at those spyshots from a couple months ago which are a more accurate example of reality. In fact, you can see quite a few real-world details hidden behind the tape and padding.

Craig
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    alpha WRX from being C6 when he A8 while reading of the B9 name ;-)

BTW, where's swampy at?

DaveM
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    Better than S3X, unless you're trying to appeal to men's subconscience.

The nose in that rendering looks better than I thought it would. Still odd, and I don't see how Subaru is going to go after luxury car buyers with such an unconservative design feature, but at least it's unique.
  • ladywclassladywclass Posts: 1,684
    going for the "greying crowd" ... B9 (as in Bingo) and also for the "x-generation" with the X? lol
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Posts: 1,676
    awards for humorous posts!

Patti
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    I keep thinking of b-nynex. Anyone from the NE should remember what Nynex was. Rob M.
    The only real surprise for me here is the sketch indicates a smaller center section of the grille. I sense that may be a bit misleading. The heavily taped over test mule we've seen suggests that center grille may be larger than the sketch indicates.

As I had predicted, the center of the grille is more R1/R1e/B9SC-like in shape, meaning more "square," and not "pointed" like the grilles found on the B11S/R2. It will be interesting to see if the Forester also uses this more square shape.

The only other surprise is the kicked up, Murano-like rear quarter window. That I'm not wild about; not because of the styling, but because it will be somewhat of a blind spot. I don't like it on the BMW X3 either, for that very reason.

As Craig had suggested, it's best to compare this sketch with the photos of the taped over test mule we have all seen. Then you can cross-compare the sketch details with reality, so to speak.

Bob
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    The name doesn't bother me, at least so far. I guess we'll really have to wait and see the un-camo'd B9X to really see it's lines and curves. My guess is that it's going to do well.

Also, think of the possibilities...B9XT

-Brian
    The name doesn't bother me either. It did surprise me, as I thought for sure it would have a more traditional Subaru-like naming, like Surveyor, etc.

The fact that it does have an alpha-numeric name suggests to me: (1) all future Subarus will eventually follow suit, (2) all future Subarus will be radically different from their current counterparts, and (3) FHI is dead serious about Subaru's new marketing direction, and has put this move on fast-forward.

Bob
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Also, if Subaru starts using more alpha numeric names with the B-series, the B9X would make more sense.

Ken
    every new Subaru with this new face—both concept and production—have had alpha-numeric names.

Bob
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Posts: 1,676
    to myself is very challenging. I've tried to stay with keeping my two bits to myself over the years here - in the interest of fairness, plus I think it goes a long way towards helping folks feel comfortable expressing themselves, but with this one.....

I will at least emote this though: ;^)
    Ah come on Patti... let it out. Stress is not good for your health. ;)

Bob
    but I'm hoping the base B9X JE (juice edition) will come equipped thusly:

• 6-speed manual, as per the BMW X3/X5.

• Cloth seats.

• All-Weather package plus heated steering wheel. You all knew I had to sneak that in. ;)

• Moonroof.

• 3500 towing.

Frosting on the cake would be:

• Larger than 3.0 engine.

• Optional towing of 5000.

• Dual-range tranny.

Bob
    All Im saying is that I think a poorly chosen name can be a significant mistake.

IMO, Audi A8 doesnt sound like "ate" since that would be Audi 8. Same thing with WRX (you dont read it "wrecks"). Benign is much less of a stretch than any of that.

Alphanumerics are just fine by me when they make sense and dont associate themselves with mediocrity.

Im sure the vehicle will be awesome....

~alpha
  • sdufordsduford Posts: 577
    Good list Bob, I would also add VDC to the base model, or at least make it available.

And the limited version should have an ACC that works and a real premium stereo.

Sly
    Of course some people will like it, and some people will hate it, no matter what name they pick.

But I still think it is a poor name and a marketing mistake that will cost them sales.

Sly
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Without the lack of any more info, we're all getting fixated on just the name!!

Hurry up, SOA! Give us more info before we set a world record in putting deep meaning into three alpha-numeric characters!!

Ken
    Also, if Subaru starts using more alpha numeric names with the B-series, the B9X would make more sense.

I think that will happen. It seems like a fish out of water now, because it's the first car to be named thusly.

Bob
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    IMO, Audi A8 doesnt sound like "ate" since that would be Audi 8. Same thing with WRX (you dont read it "wrecks"). Benign is much less of a stretch than any of that.

I think this just shows we all have different reactions to names and numbers in a sequence.

BTW, the common slang for a WRX is "Rex".

Craig
  • This is what I've heard through my dealer friend, who is almost always right, just really good rumors though. I hope these are all true. All models will have 18inch wheels, VDC, and a moonroof standard. Some models even without leather (yes Juice). There will be options or as Subaru likes model codes for the Navigation and Rear DVD and rear climate control. Power everything inluding the usual Subaru best cold weather stuff (mirrors, seats, and wipers). I've even heard mabye even a 40/20/40 2nd row split seat that slides back and forth like 7-8 inches. 6 cyl non turbo and yes mabye a Turbo later on B9XT?? And as far as the name..again it's so much better then any regular name they could come up with...Halifax, Tribeca...etc...Could have been so much worse. Now if someone really likes it for it's features, they won't not buy it because of a name. If some actually can't stand B9X then those 3 people on the planet can go buy something else.....The thing is going to be so awesome!!
    I agree, it should be a very neat car.

But I think you underestimate the power of the name. Don't think about the 3 people who will refuse to buy it because of the name. Think about the thousands of people who might have checked it out if only it had a cool name.

Sly