Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    I thought most SUVs didn't need them since they sit higher and have dark tinted windows.
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Karen,

I agree on the back up system. Check the forum discussion "Reverse Warning Systems" here on Edmunds. (Sorry - don't know how to link it.) There are a lot out there, it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Nice to hear about your road trip. Any problems on the dirt roads?

Mark
  • dbjonesdbjones Posts: 5
    Well after 2 months of hard core research, driving the following, Explorer Limited V8, Freestyle Limited AWD, Jeep GC Hemi, Pathfinder LE, Murano, 4Runner, Sienna, Highlander, Pilot, Odyssey, Volvo V50 T9, Volvo XC90... I am probably missing some... we just picked up our B9 this weekend.

It was close between the B9 and the V50, but in the end it was obvious which was a better car for us. (We need room, and love Subaru's)

Black w/DVD, 7 seater, w/leather.

We got it for $400 over invoice with out much haggling from Albany Subaru in Albany California (Albany is next to Berkeley geographically)

In my neck of the woods it is a good time to get one, Albany has 6 on lot, Oakland 7, and Marin about 6. With the reviews about to come out sales may pick up and the *real* price may get back to MSRP. I think that once people start seeing these they are going to get way popular. Many of my buddies when they saw the car in person were blown away. They look very cool in real life, have fit and finish equal to Volvo/BMW/Audi (the kings of FF IMHO) and drive amazingly well.

The one thing I wish mine had come with was NAVI, but we really wanted the Black, and none of the above mentioned dealers had black w/dvd/navi and I could not stand ordering and waiting and figure after market NAVI will just get better. (e.g. Garmin c330, TomTom 700, etc) BTW, I have to ding Subaru here, from the demo I got their NAVI is not on par with the majority of the NAVI system in the cars mentioned above. (The king is the Honda Odyssey, it is off the hook in features, look, image quality of the maps, and the rear camera is very sweet)

So far I am COMPLETELY satisfied, but there is a flaw with the car IMHO. Visibly when reversing is not optimal, we knew this going in, and for us it is fine, but anyone looking at this car should do some backing up to make sure they are comfortable with this. I am sure Subaru will introduce rear sensors, and a reverse camera for future versions.

Oh and this is our fourth Subaru, our first one was a 1986 GL Hatchback (I think that was it), our last one was a 1994 Impreza Wagon that we still have w/190,000 mile, no problems with it at all, and it still drives fine.
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    I was very disappointed with the cargo cover, too...I even told the salesman it was a piece of junk (he agreed :-). Hopefully they can come up with a better system, as I do place valuables back there frequently, and I expect a more secure and stylish fit for this $$.

-Karen in AZ- :shades:
    No problems at all...unless you count the dirt on the back window, which does get covered up and limits rear visibility...but who cares where you've been! We weren't on a very rugged road, but still AWD eats it up. I've had two of my last three Subies on that same forest service road (and many, many other roads), and it's just too much fun!

-Karen in AZ- :shades:
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Posts: 44
    I'm so envious of you who already own a Tribeca!!! ;) Anyway, will they really raise the price of them that much ($10,000) as one poster thinks? I mean I guess it depends on what, if any, features they add, but I hope it doesn't end up costing as much as a Lexus! Good Lord! I want one in the worst way but need to pay down my husband's truck a little more. Planning on getting one next year. Maybe I could get a demo or something used but I'm sort of doubting it. What do you think?
    Thanks
  • coastercoaster Posts: 46
    The dark tinted windows on the two sets of back windows are a real help in disguising what is inside but if you put your face very close to the windows it is still possible to see the interior so the cargo cover is definitely useful. Is there any possibility that Subaru will come up with a better cargo cover system before next year's model that can be installed by dealers?
    Subaru's pricing structures have been pretty consistent in the past, and generally I have only seen minor adjustments from year to year (sometimes none at all). I think this may simply be a rumor that's already out of control (IMHO).

-Karen in AZ-
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats to the flood of new owners joining this thread, to mikejl, photoguy2, and dbjones specifically. Did I miss anyone else?

Mods - if you do any custom work, please take PHOTOS, I will host and post them for you. Info sharing like this is extremely useful and the whole purpose of a Forum like this.

So snap a pic of that iPod mount/wiring and I'll post it for you, OK?

bigelm: sorry to see the dealer dropped the ball, can't say I blame you for souring the deal.

Keep something in mind, though, if you buy something else, he didn't really lose a sale. If you buy a Tribeca from ANOTHER dealer, he did.

I say go buy one and drive it over there to show them, here's your shiny new Tribeca that a different dealer sold to you (at a higher price - lie even if it's not!) since they were just not interested in making profits off your business.

LOL - that would be the ultimate revenge.

-juice
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Posts: 44
    Thanks, Karen. I didn't think that sounded like something Subaru would do but not being familiar wasn't sure.

I hope they add some of the items people want as optional equipment or keep the price down close to where it is somehow. I think the camera or backup sensor would be a nice feature to have on this particular vehicle but everyone might not want it for the money it would cost. That's about the only thing it doesn't have that maybe would be nice to have IMHO except a keypad entry which would detract from the appearance maybe.

Some of the creature comforts people want are not all that practical and I believe that's a quality of Subarus in general. Well, anyway congratulations on your brand new Tribeca!
    Nav costs $2000, and for a lot of people that's tough to justify, when you can get a Garmin unit already pre-loaded with maps for $800.

I think adding a rearview camera makes it easier to justify spending extra for Nav, in fact I'm sure more people would opt for it.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,693
    Problem with these Garmin units is that the screen is tiny compared to most in-dash units. They might work if you have a passenger to read it, but not so well if the driver has to rely on it by him/herself.

Bob
    But the newer ones add voice commands.

The wifey doesn't want power cables dangling from the dash and the position of the 12 volt plug isn't designed for it anyway (same problem with your V1).

-juice
  • gwilsongwilson Posts: 46
    Hypothetically, if the 2007 Tribeca comes with rearview camera, would it be possible to have it installed on a 2006 model that already has Nav or would this be too complicated?
    There's no way to know that now. We'd just be guessing.

Bob
  • gwilsongwilson Posts: 46
    Yeah, I agree. Just wishful thinking on my part I guess!!!
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    negative. garmins are pretty darn accurate, always have satellite signals & have extensive points of interest. i am amazed at my c330 compared to the Acura NAV i have used extensively.

plus, don;t forget i can switch to my 2nd car, rental car etc, plan trip at home.
    I didn't say they weren't accurate, just small.

Bob
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    I test drove the B9 this weekend. I recently bought an XT OB ltd. I did find B9 noisy at low speeds, once you get to 30-40mph, it becomes super quiet. that tells me that the engine is working hard to pull 4200lbs.

But it cornered superbly. didn;t feel like driving a 7-seater. rear view is a bit of a problem.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Posts: 458
    IMO having had both reverse safety systems: Camera and Sonar audible - I'll take the sonar any day of the week.

With video you need to watch the screen and you run the risk of hitting your front end backing into a thight spot. With audible there is no need to watch the screen, so you can watch your front end and also use the sideview mirrors..

In the winter and heavy rain often picture is blurred to the point of being useless.

In very dark locations often the back up lights do not illuminate engough to see well with the camera.

It is more important to know if there is something behind you - not what it is.

With sonar there is always a dependable indicator if there is an object back there and is much more accurate in knowing how close it is.
  • coastercoaster Posts: 46
    Is it possible for Subaru to give buyers of the five passenger Tribeca a bonus by designing the second row so that the seats go fore and aft without the middle stop since that is really only for the comfort of third row passengers? It would also be nice to have even more
    than an 8" track. Why not let second row passengers really stretch out. I, for one, would gladly pay extra for such a perk.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    Juice,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really enjoying my B9 and excited about being able to use the iPod with it. I'm waiting for my friend to get back today and we will carefully drill a hole into the side of the center console between the front seats so the wire will go neatly into the center storage area and connect into the Belkin charger/adapter for the mini stereo plug. When I get it done I'll be sure to get some pics done for you to post.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    You're right on w/that assessment, subienewbie2... plus I imagine the sonar would be simpler, less expensive to install and repair, and more reliable.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    juice - are you (or anyone else) officially tracking the vehicles that folks are trading in (or that B9 Tribeca is replacing)? I can recall a couple MBs, a Land Cruiser, the recent Jeep GC, a Lexus RX330 (I think), and a handful of various Subarus of course.

It's also interesting to read what is being cross-shopped w/B9 Tribeca, but that's just too much and various info to track meaningfully, I think.

Many have been folks with previous Subaru ownership experience, so I think Subaru's assessment that B9 Tribeca would keep/bring back customers who outgrew the brand's offerings was correct. It's been nice to see newcomers considering the brand also, though.

Group Question: for those that have driven both, how would you compare B9 Tribeca's acceleration w/2000-04 2.5L Outbacks? Mine's an '04 and I would like at least a little more "oomph".
  • cpp788xcpp788x Posts: 47
    I was in a 5 seater today - there is no middle stop or red lever on the side of the seat - the seat has the full 8" travel from the lever in front. It appears the "stop" is only in the 7 seater.

Charlie
  • gduboisgdubois Posts: 3
    I'm not new to this forum, but this is my first post. After 3 O/B's (97, 02H6, and 05 VDC), I've just taken delivery of a B9 Tribeca - Champagne Opal - 7 pass. with Nav. and DVD. I would have liked the Black, but in Canada (check out subaru.ca)the beige leather option is only available in Maroon and Champagne. This vehicle is amazing! I love the ride, the room, and the toys. It isn't as quick off the mark as the O/B I traded in, but it's heavier and taller. I would like more power, but I can live with the slower acceleration. I've had lots of positive comments on the styling and the attendant at the local coffee shop drive-through asked if she could check out the interior after giving me my coffee! The usual negatives already listed apply -lack of room in the third row seat and difficulty backing up. I still can't get the second row of seats behind the driver to slide all the way back - yes I know about the lock - but even after sliding the lock all the way over the seat won't go back. I'm taking it in on Wednesday to have the auto dimming rear view mirror installed and will ask the tech to check out this problem.
  • tpalmertpalmer Posts: 3
    I picked up my new Tribeca tonight. Nice. :) My dealer gave me a decent deal to get me out of my 03 LLBean OB and into the B9. I ended up diving off the lot as the very first owner from my dealership.. which is also nice. :shades: I've figured pretty much everything out.. but there is one thing I just can't do. Display the DVD on the front screen. I was parked. I set the NAV display to Audio and my radio to the RSE. But the movie wasn't displayed on the front screen. The audio was fine. The audio screen said it was on the RSE and had a drawing of the DVD unit. But no picture. What am I missing? Anyone know how to get this feature working? None of the many manuals say anything about this other than to be on the Audio screen.

Thanks in advance.
    Any recommendations for the reverse system? Consumer Reports only listed three (Grote, EchoMaster, and Rostra, all around $300+). I hate the idea of letting someone drill holes in my bumper, but it sure would help my piece of mind.

-Karen in AZ-
    Reviews Links: http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2006b9tribeca.html
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    I too had the same issue on the DVD. I believe I simply hit the Audio button again... Gosh I hope that is what it was... or mayber the RSE/AUX again... I know I had to press a button a second time..
  • tpalmertpalmer Posts: 3
    Thanks for the assist. But alas.. that didn't work. :confuse: Pressing Audio a 2nd time just brings the map back, and RSE/AUX a 2nd time does nothing. Hmm. Well, the dealership is holding a "new owner orientation" Thursday night. Maybe I'll ask the techs then if I haven't figured it out.