Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    Just came back from a little shopping jaunt, and a short stop at Starbucks. I parked right in front and then sat in the coffee shop where I could see out the window. It was very entertaining watching and listening to folks staring and commenting about my car, especially when they didn't know I was watching. I've noticed it quite a bit when driving, too, but this was more fun :-)

Anyone else noticed the stares?

-Karen in AZ-
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,667
    saw one on a car carrier. the back looked like a '49 ford wagon(don't know if one was made back then), not that it is bad, just not original. did not see the front.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    They did make a '49 Ford station wagon :) ... haven't seen one lately. But how did you know what it looked like if you didn't know if they made one? :)... I like the comparison with Saab station wagon of the late 50's and early 60's. Don't know if pics have been posted , if not perhaps someone could post.
  • wvroadswvroads Posts: 23
    We just took delivery of our new silver 5 passenger Ltd B9 on Saturday. It came with the puddle lights and the rear bumper cover. I had already ordered and received the auto dimming/compass mirror, the front bumper cover, and some cargo nets from an online Subaru parts dealer (my dealer didn’t have them or couldn’t get them soon), and I spent some time in the afternoon installing the mirror (the connector is sort of hidden but it is there), and the front bumper cover – looks nice but NOT worth $120. I also wired up an unswitched 12V outlet for my Garmin 2610.
    For any of you that didn’t get or can’t get some accessory items, they are available on line for less than the dealer prices and are easy to install. I am just glad I was able to find a B9 with the puddle lights as they are not a dealer add on. My wife and I just think they are the coolest looking things!!
    We headed out Sunday afternoon for a short one night getaway down to Frederick, Md and we are VERY pleased with our new Tribeca. We now have a little over 500 miles on it and have no major complaints. The terrain in WV and western Md is very hilly and that does take a toll on gas mileage in any vehicle but we still managed to average almost 21 mpg with a fair amount of stop and go driving included with the highway miles
    The B9 is very comfortable and it rides great. It is a very quiet vehicle and it handles very well.
    Concerning the gas gauge and low fuel light, the low fuel light came on when the info panel showed 50 miles to “out of gas”. I continued on hoping to make it back to town and the gas gauge finally showed “no bars” at 20 miles to go till empty, so, not wanting to run out of gas on my first outing, I filled up and it only took 15 gallons to the brim, so there was another 1.8 gallons still in the tank. At least I won’t panic the next time the gas gauges shows “zero”.

For what it’s worth we just came out of a 2000 Outback and a 99 Dodge Intrepid (nice road car) – sold them both to get the Tribeca. Just keeping the Ford Ranger truck and the Tribeca now that there is just the 2 of us at home.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I take the weekend off and it seems about 3-4 people took delivery, so let me say congrats and I'm envious! :-)

Don't sweat the Motorweek 0-60, they were way off from the best times for the Forester XT when it came out also (6.2 vs. 5.3 for C&D). Even Subaru's own conservative time was quicker (same with the Tribeca).

9.7s sounds way off for anyone who has driven one.

-juice
    I am officially leaving on vacation to drive the new 'beca from Arizona to Montana later this week. I have friends who own a cabin in a remote area of west central MT and have invited me up there. They don't yet know I have the new Subie, so it'll be a fun surprise when I drive up the lane.

I am anxious to see how the car handles on a long jaunt. I can't wait to play with the Nav. It did pinpoint their property about a half mile closer than MapQuest or Yahoo Maps. Unfortunately, there aren't many Starbucks showing up that-a-way :-)

I am planning on driving through Yellowstone on the way back. Think mine will be the first Tribeca in that National Park?

I haven't been as far north as SLC, but have seen eastern Utah and eastern Wyoming. Any car or geographical travel tips for traveling I-15 from our readship?

-Karen in AZ-
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,434
    Depending on the time of day you pass through (and whether you want to eyeball town), usually the I-215 bypass on the west side is a bit quicker through SLC. If you head to Yellowstone via the Beartooth, get some road info - they are rebuilding the road and had a bunch of mudslides early in the season (link).

Tidester's close to Yellowstone, so if you get stuck give him a yell. :)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I am planning on driving through Yellowstone on the way back. Think mine will be the first Tribeca in that National Park?

You'll definitely want to exit via the "South Entrance" and head toward Grand Teton National Park. At the very least you'll want to drive through it . I recommend "The Bunnery" in Jackson for breakfast! If you have the time and the inclination there are some fantastic trails for hiking and the lift to the the top of Rendezvous Mountain provides an utterly fantastic view.

Unfortunately, I don't think yours will be the first Tribeca to pass through these parts but at least you can say you were one of the first. Let us know how it performs on the mountain passes! :)

tidester, host
  • newtosubienewtosubie Posts: 39
    Long time reader, first time responder. Being in the SLC area, I would go straight up I-15. There are some construction projects going on around I-215W. I-15 has improved lots since the Olympics, nice carpool lane w/out much traffic in it. Just my thought. Love all the info on this forum about the B9. I know there are very few of them purchased in this area (been watching the inventory) so you should get lots of stares passing through town. Hope to be an owner w/in a year (crossover from a '99 Passat). :)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,434
    Thanks for unlurking Newto. My personal preference would be to avoid the interstate altogether, but every time I head down your way, I see a big ol' lake and mountains, and not much choice in roads going north/south.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Already? Sounds like fun. Nav should let you relax a bit more and enjoy the sites.

At this point I've seen about 3 Tribecas on the road that were not company/program cars, so they're out there now.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    B-9 TRIBECA M.S.R.P $30,040- Sign and Drive $387- * 48

OUTBACK WAGON 2.5i M.S.R.P $25,375- Sign and Drive $277- * 48.

FORESTER 2.5 X M.S.R.P$23,058- Sign and Drive $287- * 48.

LEGACY SEDAN 2.5i M.S.R.P $22,470- Sign and Drive $287- * 48.

IMPREZA 2.5RS SEDAN M.S.R.P $19,095- Sign and Drive $227- * 48.

Please note that the prices mentioned above include all rebates and the monthly payments are based on a Subaru Financial option buy with $0- Down payment $0 Security and $0 first payment. Taxes and tags are not included.
    Good deal on that Outback, looks like they are gambling on high residuals.

-juice
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Posts: 44
    Beautiful vehicle, Karen. Love the color! I'm seamist green with envy!!

I spotted a satin white pearl Tribeca yesterday on my way home from work and it is just gorgeous on the road! I didn't think I would like the light colors on this vehicle but I really do. It didn't have temp tags so the woman driving it must've had it for at least a month, but it's the first I've seen on the road in Florence, Kentucky.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    I don't like soup... :) Too hot for soup... :)
  • grdh20grdh20 Posts: 46
    Just wondering if anyone's pre-order LL Bean gift has come yet?
  • saustinsaustin Posts: 68
    CAUTION !!!! The dealer instructed us a few weeks ago when we picked up the car to put the headphones in the middle compartment in the car which my wife dutifully did. Problem is that it is such a tight fit that the door jams when opening and has torn two of the foam headphone covers. Clearly not a cost disaster but annoying as was the dealer response which was to "wait for a call from the parts department". Seem's like this is a problem which Subaru could not have forseen but should do something about.

Since we payed $1000 over dealer invoice (and most folks here have payed only $500 or less) and not happy about this.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    :P then no soup for you
    Thx for all the great tips! much appreciated!

-Karen in AZ-
  • krusty_krusty_ Posts: 11
    After reading some 3000 posts i can see the tone has changed dramaticly from the Autoshow Premier back in Jan to the end of May when the TriB hit dealers, to today.
    Its nice to see all the happy owners posting their comments. We have been trying to sell Our 2003 Honda Pilot to get a TriB. Not too much interest in the pilot so we are still waiting. We do not want to give it Carmax and take a hit, If i can sell it myself i get the Nav... So i have a vested interest in selling private. If all else fails i have a Garmin 2910, but from the looks of the TriB there is not a good place to mount it... Anyone have an idea on this?

Questions:
    We are in Northern Ca and from i see the sales have been slow. The same 9 are at my local dealer that were Delivered at the end of May, Now mind you this is a Small town dealer - but its in a Mountain area- Would this be a concern, ?

I see people saying they are waiting weeks and weeks to get theirs, yet here they seem to be sitting on the lots.. Where is the Add campain?

Any incentives in the near future? We get VIP through my work but every little helps.

Nav...I hear its outdated... any idea when the updates are coming? and at what cost. To buy a product that is 3 years old for 2K and then have to update it at a cost seems silly. We are in a new area that has been built up over the past 3-5 years- all new roads are on the garmin, i would hope on the Trib as well.

2006.5 and on.....

Any chance to get HID, Memory Seats..? would love to see these as well as a Grill upgrade, i do agree that in person its much better then the pics suggest. Still needs some tweaks, I would go full black out honey comb like on the WRX, on the center. with the "wings" having a thin chrome strip in the middle with the honey mesh behind..No Chome on the surrounds,. thats my 2 cents.
  • gwilsongwilson Posts: 46
    FLORENCE Y'ALL!!! (written in huge letters on water tower right off I-75 in Florence - not making fun of southerners').

I am right up the road south of Dayton here - haven't seen one Tribeca on the road except mine. Of course this is big GM country here and everyone is tripping all over themselves to buy while the employee discount is still going on.
  • shane850shane850 Posts: 36
    I also put the headphones there and had problems with them. It is not a Subaru problem, more of a dealer problem as the owner's manual tells you to put one in the pocket of each of the rear doors. They fit good but the problem is if you want to use the drink holder in the door you have to move the headphones. I guess the dealers are not educated yet on everything, which is understandable.

It seems the drawer was designed for the DVD's or CD's as they fit great there.
  • ladywclassladywclass Posts: 1,684
    so you decide who gets soup and who doesn't?

soup nazi !!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Try some cold soup - great for the summer! :)

tidester, host
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    AKA ... vichyssoise , at least in the East! :)
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    "Most folks have paid $500 or less over invoice"? I doubt that. I came armed with invoice price on the car and all options and on a 7 passenger limited with leather with dvd and nav and puddle lights and some other options, MSRP amounted to a little over 3,000 more then invoice. I got a 1000 discount due to some delay and missing options on my original pre-order that they said noone else has gotten. I was dealing with the owner's son of the dealership so I don't think he'd lie and guess I believe him when he said we can't do any better on the price. I was disappointed but then he calculated it out that I was really only paying 1500 above invoice. I did get $500 more for my trade in to a friend with dealership then they were going to give me but that was no thanks to the Subaru dealership of course.

I would have been stubborn and walked out on the deal but the guy I was working with was very helpful and nice all along the way doing everything he could to get the exact vehicle I wanted with the right options and ultimately had to get it from a dealership 2 hrs away. Interesting story on that was that that dealership tried to get me to drive up to them to get the B9 and when the guy i was working with at my local dealership called them they told him it was sold and would not cooperate on doing a dealer trade. I actually had to call that dealership and tell them it was not good for their reputation to other dealers nor customers and that it was not right to make me drive all the way up there just so they could get the sale which they even admitted was why at one point. After I talked to a manager they agreed to cooperate and trade it to my local dealer.

So after all that I guess I couldn't walk out on the deal after all the trouble I and the dealer went through. I might not have found the exact car with options I was looking for (mostly the nav and puddle lights as the rest are dealer installable) for some time and possible that even then I might not do as good as the $1000 off MSRP. I imagine if you are super patient and wait a long time and shop around many dealerships you could find one that will sell you one for as low as $400 over invoice as one poster said was the deal he got but I question if he is telling the truth or if it was like his friends dealership or something. I dont think anyone has been getting anything off MSRP for the most part and definitely not as low as $400 over invoice.

Also, I originally didn't want DVD, figuring I wont use it on a regular basis when driving to work etc. obviously as you are in the front seat but this was the closest I could find to having everything I wanted believe it or not at the time and it just had one option I didn't need in the DVD. So, basically this was also an excuse for me to get the dvd which I now love and am glad I did especially with the audio inputs for mp3 player and the pleasant surprise of dvd playing on the nav screen when in park. With these features and others the car has been great for tailgating especially concerts. If I had walked out on the deal and started over I might not have gotten the dvd. Besides you figure I got it for 800 instead of 1800 if you count my discount and I just wanted to justify the DVD option especially to my dad who thought I was crazy and didn't need it by covering it with even just another 800 off let alone the 2000 more to invoice but no go.

The most he would do was thrown in 2 other options for free which amount to $100 msrp and $64 or something invoice so we'll see what else he can do as I am a little disappointed on price still and looking to just see some effort on their part even on the little things.

In fact, they better come through on my pre-order gift of the portable XM sat radio. He said he would look into it and I feel strongly that I should not miss out on that just because my original pre-ordered vehicle didn't come with the options I ordered. Also, especially since the Tribeca doesn't have a sat radio option of its own which was a major disappointment. I hope to try out the portable which can be used in the car to see if that would be sufficient for now and the dealer said you can have sirius or xm installed but I imagine that is an expensive "aftermarket" endeavor and would do away with the current system and mess up the look of the dash etc.

Speaking of options: Does anyone have the moonroof air deflector or splash guards which are listed in the brochure as delayed availability. Neither are listed on the website under options when you build a vehicle last I checked and I am interested in getting both.

Also listed in the brochure under options also is 'Subwoofer/Amplifier'. Is this something you can get in addition to the 160 watt premium sound system with 6 disc in dash you get with the Limited which already supposedly has a subwoofer. Or is that just an available option for vehicles with the lower sound system that just want to add the subwoofer/amplifier that the limited has?

Because i have the premium sound system of the limited and while sufficient so far in car, it wasn't quite loud enough even at max when tailgating and playing through an mp3 player also at max volume. It is significantly lower volume going through an mp3 player then radio or CD, but i have a decent quality Y cable connecting form the audio inputs in the rear of the car to the line out of the mp3 player and can't imagine a better connection. is there any way to get better volume out of it?
    Ahhh what a terrific idea! I love a good Hearty Gazpacho.... mmmmm I may have to make some tonight! Thanks for the idea.
    I think Subaru is a very regional brand. I've seen a few here in Eastern PA. I'd not worry to much about sales in your area.

Nav - it is outdated but works well. I too am concerned about the cost to upgrade. I would encourage you to negotiate that into your deal. Say the first two or three upgrades at no charge or something like that. I too wanted to get a Garmin or the likes but settled on the factory NAV because of the mounting issue. Glad I did. It is much cleaner looking which is worth something.

Interesting ideas for the grill but it has grown in me and I kind of like it now.

Not stop thinking and go get one for yourself and be the first to drive one in your area. You will surly get some stares!