Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    It probably doesn't matter whether it's moved or not. I didn't even know it is under "Future Vehicles". I always surf TH via the drop-down menus on the lefthand side anyway.
  • jkarwjkarw Posts: 1
    Looked at the Tribeca today. Unfortunately the sales people new very little about the vehicle. While playing with the nav system I was unable to get a listing of points of interest specifically restaurants in the local vicinity. It appeared that I had to know the names of the restaurants in order to get any information. The sales person was of little help. I was able to do this in the Volvo XC90. Is there a way to get a listing of all the restaurants for your location?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    This was shown at the dealer convention at San Francisco last week.

It includes a mesh grille, chrome wheels and a $1K MSRP.

I have mixed feelings. I don't like chrome wheels. The mesh grille is nice, but is a UK-design rip-off (Bentley, Jaguar, etc.). Even Cadillac is offering mesh grilles on their sport models... It seems very "trendy" (as opposed to being Subaru-distinctive) and I certainly wouldn't pay $1K for it.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Steve: ask me again after this coming Tuesday, when I really get a chance to drive one in controlled circumstances at the Ride-n-Drive. Then I'll know more about the tires.

My test drive was short and didn't reveal any weaknesses in grip, but I wasn't nearly pushing it.

Krisshna: that's with the use of the 3rd row. Fold the 3rd row and room is pretty good.

Bob: black out that grille and I'll take it. No thanks on the rims. Chrome is heavy and expensive.

-juice
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Posts: 458
    The B9 Nav has 2 DVDs. Eastern US & Canada & West. Each DVD as explained to me covers all of the US & Canada for mapping but you must use the appropriate disc for regional points of interest info.

That may have been the problem.
  • saustinsaustin Posts: 68
    Thanks Juice,
    The b9 is in, dealer is just waiting for the front bumper guard to come in hopefully Tuesday so we should be able to pick it up Wed. Wanted to see what a tire upgrade would cost and include it in the deal.
    Steve.
  • tmeframetmeframe Posts: 80
    This dealership is unethical and its owner prevaricates. I bought an '05 Outback LL Bean in December. I am very fond of this car, but I started experiencing some troubles early on. Not really serious issues as far as the mechanics of the vehicle, but problems nonetheless, requiring a 45 mile dealer visit. So far, it's been to the shop 11 times for interior trim issues (like falling apart, seat bolsters popping out, rattles and buzzes, etc.). When I'd finally had enough, I asked the owner to give me a buy-bid so that I may egress gracefully and without hard feelings from Subaru Ownership. He obliged and offered what I thought was a satisfactory offer. He also encouraged me to come down and drive a Tribeca. I did so, but was not totally satisfied, described here in an earlier post as a matter of fact, and decided that I wouldn't purchase a Tribeca. When I told Subaru of Dallas' owner last Friday morning that I going to another dealer and asked to verify that my buy-bid was still valid, he said "of course", that he wanted to help me, with all the trouble I'd had.. He still encouraged me to come down and give the Tribeca another chance, I politely said no.

When I got to the other dealer, I was exposed to Subaru of Dallas' owner's true colors. I called to let him know that I'd found another vehicle, and he hem-hawed, and essentially backed-out of his buy-bid offer saying he wanted to help me, but not help another dealer. My impression was that he never had any intention of going through with the buy-bid, as long as there was a chance to get me in a Tribeca. When he realized that this was not going to happen, he reneged on his offer.

Not to be deterred, I went back to the dealer of the different brand I was looking at and had them bid on the car. Of course with only two dealerships in the DFW area, he ended up calling Subaru of Dallas, and the manager's assistant, knowing it was me trying to sell my Outback, essentially low-balled his own product $3000 less than Kelly Blue Book value on the car. I tried Carmax later and they did the same thing, this time only $2500 below what the LLBean was worth. I feel that Carmax was higher because at least they knew how much the car is truly worth and could ship it back up north to sell it in Denver or similar location.

BTW, the service department for Subaru of Dallas was superb and always worked hard and was ethical. It's a terrible shame that sales and service are under the same roof.

Steve
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    garmin c330 is the best ! i have done the homework
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    sell it by yourself
  • cpp788xcpp788x Posts: 47
    You don't mention anywhere in your post about contacting Subaru. I would have brought them into the picture after the second visit. Contact coporate in NJ and make them get involved - You will get results.

Charlie
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Posts: 458
    Hi Steve

What tire are you considering for an up-grade?

Do you know the brand & model of the 255/55 18s that come from the factory?

I want to up-grade my B9's tires also. I don't go offroad and want tires that will serve me well during an Chicag winter - but my primary desire is a tire that will maximize the corning and handling of the B9 and still is quite and provide a comfortable (not Soft) ride.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My e-mail is: ortsacin@yahoo.com

Thanks
    John
  • subyctsubyct Posts: 4
    The Subaru dealer in Branford, CT had about 4.
    Call SoA when you encounter a problem like that, 800-SUBARU3. That's what Patti used to do when she frequented these boards (supervise dealer relations), though now she works in a different department.

Drove an ML in the M Class Road Rally and honestly can say I'd pick a Tribeca over an ML350. Mercedes estimates 0-60 in 8.2s but it felt comparatively slow after recently sampling the Tribeca. To be honet the Benz just didn't do anything for me, especially considering the price.

The ML500 was another story, much more fun, but still didn't handle as well as the Subie due to it being much taller. Plus it's $50k plus.

-juice
    Got the print edition of the Washington Post today, and found an extremely flattering review of the Tribeca. Warren Brown compares it favorably to competitors from Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Lexus, and Land Rover.

His reviews are generally kind but he really pours praise all over this one, saying SoA has "engineered a miracle".

:)

-juice
  • eric102eric102 Posts: 122
    As I was flying down the freeway in the Outback today, late for an appointment as usual, I glance over at my local Subie dealer (Marysville, WA.) and I spot 3 B9s! Late or not I had to take a quick look.

The exterior looked just as weird as the photo's, but I liked it, very distinctive, very Subaru like, not boring like the Pilot or some of the other boxes out there. Unlike most others the wife really liked the front end but was unsure of the back end (to busy she said). Overall she gave a thumbs up for the exterior styling (this would be her car or truck or whatever it is).

We only had a few minutes to check out the interior. Lot's of leg, elbow and head room for me in the drivers seat (I'm the one who had to modify the seat in my Outback), but for some reason the passenger side didn't have nearly as much leg room. I know I wouldn't be comfortable there for long trips, probably a good excuse to be the driver. The wife fell in love with the interior and didn't want to get out, she has always had Hondas or Acuras and felt that the B9 was a step up in quality. We didn't have time to really look at all the knobs, switch's and gizmos but everything looked logically laid out and of high quality.

So our first impression was "we like it". I know, not much of a review but I thought maybe some tall people would like to know they might fit in it. For sure will take it for a test drive soon.

Eric
  • junior5junior5 Posts: 15
    Agree with that juice. Warren Brown almost waxes poetic during this review which he does not do often. No notes however about the interior noise levels of the Tribeca. Hopefullly with the framed windows they will be lower compared to my 03 Forester.
    Ain't hard to fall in love with that, not at all.

-juice
  • irish24irish24 Posts: 43
    Was at the local subaru dealer on thurs. saw a new tribeca in the parking lot. Salesguy said 3 had come in 2 days before. one was sold and gone as soon as it came in. Price is getting up there. The 5 seater had a price tag of 31+ the 7 seater w nav was slightly more than 38 Looked like a cross between a Murano and some of the other SUV's coming out.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Posts: 240
    just like they did for WRX? Seems yet another well engineered vehicle from Subaru won't enjoy the sales success it deserves due to polarizing styling.