Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Hi

I've got an overnight test drive of a 2006 5 seater ltd with nav, I can put 100 miles on it tomorrow and then I have to decide. Maybe y'all can answer a couple questions.

Do you have to hit "I agree" on the nav screen every time you turn the car on? I'm never gonna switch to French, what's the point? (A search on "agree" didn't turn up anything)

Seat belt chimes. I tried clicking the seat belt in 25 times in 30 seconds, didn't work, chimes were back when I restarted it. Is this trick legit?

Auto-dimming rear view mirror. Sitting in a 7-11 parking lot an hour ago I couldn't see diddly. Put it in reverse and nothing changed, still couldn't see anything. Turned off the auto dimming and it wasn't any better. This worries me. Is this a defective mirror, or the norm?

The two displays on either side of the nav screen aren't ever going to do anything but tell me when a door's open or the status of the passenger air bag, are they? Can you turn them off?

There's a lot to like about this SUV. In the 30 miles home from Fitzmall, this particular vehicle seems pretty tight. I'll check it out more tomorrow but I'm liking it!

FWIW, I have a '99 Outback which has been a terrific car, except for the left front wheel. I've lost three wheel bearings and one axle in 150,000 miles, the last wheel bearing left me on the side of the road in upstate NY last month.

For all the times I've cursed them I want to stay with Sub because I trust their AWD.

Thanks for any advice, and it's pretty neat to find a crew on my side for a change.
  • Raer View Dimming Mirror

I don't know if you have a defective mirror or not. But keep in mind unless there is a bright light shinning into the rear of the car the mrror is not in the dimming mode so turning it off should not make a difference.

Also the back end has privacy glass which is quite dark. So if you are backing up in a dark area and you are looking in the mirror which seems to have a bit of tint anyway and then through the privacy glass things should be hard to see. The back up lights are not much help.

The B9 has poor rear vision to begin with so my advice is when backing up turn around and look directly through the rear window.

The two displays on either side of the nav screen

They are what they are, can be a little annoying unless you ignore them.Don't know if they can be disconnected, but they can not be turned off.

The Seat Belt Chime - requires practice. The tab must actually click into place then be released by pressing the button on the buckle each time.

I finally found that you must be calm and not rush, Make sure you have lots of slack on the left belt. Have the ignition in the on position or have the engine running and and just start to click and release the proper number of times and that should do it.

DO NOT HOLD THE RELEASE BUTTON IN - so you can slide the tab in and out. You must let it lock then press release.

Good luck. It took me forever to get it right.
  • Thanks,

I think you're right about the mirror, I didn't think it through. It's nice to know the chimes can be defeated.
  • For what ever it is worth - the day after I turned the chime off I was ticketed for not wearing my seat belt :cry:
  • Has anyone out there had paint problems? This Tribeca is my first Subaru and I love it but I have noticed a lot of small rust stains on the paint already after only 5000 miles.

The color is the metallic white. I bought it in November and since I live in the Northeast I found a warm place to get it in and applied 2 coats of wax for the winter. During the winter it got washed every 2 weeks or less, far more often than any other car or truck I have owned. I have never seen this situation in any of the 30 +/- cars I have owned.

The stains are about 1/8" in size and can be found on every panel on the car as well as in door jambs, etc. A little polish takes them right off, but I am really concerned what is going to happen over the next couple winters.

Does anyone know of a problem with this paint color?

:confuse:
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,506
    Sounds like rail dust. If the polish is taking the specs off fine, I think I'd strip the wax with some Dawn detergent and clay it. Then rewax.

You may want to visit the active Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion to see if there's a risk of chemical damage to the paint while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• My wife and I recently settled for a B9 Tribeca after searching for some time to find a vehicle that was a seven seater, awd vehicle that didn’t look like a truck or bus. We’ve only done about 50 miles and are enjoying most of what it has to offer.

But…

In the interior my wife would like to put some wood trim over some of the silver metallic trim (plastic) on dashboard, doors and centre console that will scratch quickly when the kids get to it, which would also make it look like a more classy ride.
    I would like to give it a little more oomph.
    I would like running boards so that I can reach into the Roof Cargo Carrier, and although the look of the front of the car doesn’t bother me too much, I wouldn’t mind changing the grill.

Can anyone tell me where in the Washington DC. area I can have the interior silver metallic trim on dashboard, doors and centre console replaced with wood?
    Where I can have the performance boosted and some changes made to the looks of the front?
    And how much extra power does the K&N Filter alone give?
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    Wood grain kits can be found on eBay.

I have no idea what to suggest about running boards. What about a folding step stool? It would have to look better than running boards on a Tribeca.

HP boost? Are you sure you need it?
  • newsubunewsubu Posts: 39
    After Easter dinner the kids took to the lawn to practice their golf swings. They need the practice, as one particularly nasty slice left a terrific crack in my front windshield, quickly spreading. Ouch!!! Will seek repair immediately, but just wondering about cost, replacement issues &/or problems after replacement I should be aware of. First blemish on my B9 Beauty, with 15,000 flawless, exhilirating miles!
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    Quickly Please.... How about some comments on actual gas mileage from some of you B9ers. Can get a 06 7 pass limited leather for approx 28,500 - 29,000 with 0 interest for 2 years or 2.9 for three. Just a little nervous vehicle won't get great gas mileage. Also, any comments from owners out there on whether they use premium or regular & what effect if any has their fuel choice on performance or consumption.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 322
    Dash Kits are easy to find.
    Just google "wood dash kits" or something like that.

Here's one:
    http://www.wooddash.com/item/SUBARU_Dash_Kits_TRIBECA_2006

oh- cheaper here:
    http://www.exoticwooddash.com/Subaru/B9%20Tribeca/2006/prod14996.aspx

I agree with you-
    Japanese cars seem to have evolved believing that grey fake metal looking plastic is somehow nice looking. But- there's no accounting for taste.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    "f you do a search on previous posts, or scroll through previous messages there are detailed instructions on how get to the stereo, and yes there are A/V inputs back there. I have never tried to get back there, I have the 7Pas, NAV and DVD, so I just use the inputs in the back for Xbox or my i pod.

Yean this was asked a lot in the beginning but I thought noone ever found a way to the inputs on rear of stereo if there are any for mp3 player. Unless that was the whole taking out the screen and finding inputs there discussions but i didn't think that was for audio.

Anywah I also just run a longer cord from the rear inputs since i have dvd option and use it for my mp3 player and portable xm.

This has also been discussed but was never clear. What do you use for a power supply for the xbox? I wonder if any cars dvd player will have an upgrade to the inferior rca video input and have either svideo or component. maybe after market. do they even make HD screens for dvd player in car yet? that would be great to connect xbox and other stuff with HD component cable.

anyway so yeah what do you use for power supply with xbox and will it be enough for mine which is modded and has a 200gb hd init instead of the stock 8gb. has the games on it though so dont have to bring game cds with you.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    My complaint is the radio does not get loud enough in general especially when playing through the rear aux inputs to mp3 plyar or portable xm even with those playes output at max volume or near.

i guess its jus the usual with stock stereo in nicer weather with windows lowered a little even you can't hear. Tribeca is supposed to be quiet ride but i have to turn it up much on highway cus of road noise though maybe my 20's dont help.

I want to try getting the second sub under pass seat in addition to the one in rear with my limited but afraid it wont help the volume.

Also, can someone please let everyone know when the mesh grille is available for us 06'ers.

thanks
  • My wife's car, on a week's tank, going mainly HW and around town gets 20mpg according to the computer on Plus gas. Even in summer it was 19mpg average. This is Western Jersey, open space. Not bumper to bumper traffic.
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    It's 20 times in 30 seconds, not 25. Here's the info I posted on my web site (don't forget to buckle up!!!!!):

----------

Warning: I am in no way responsible for anyone’s safety...just posting this as a convenience.

1. Turn the key to “ON” (not running).

2. Fasten and unfasten the driver’s seat belt 20 times in 30 seconds, starting from when you actually turn on the key. (This will set the passenger seat as well).

3. Turn the ignition on, and you should be set.

4. Setting lasts until the battery is disconnected or the system is otherwise reset.

5. If you want to do this as a temporary thing (just for one driving period), fasten/unfasten the belt 3 times in 6 seconds. The chime will reset the next time the car is started.

-Karen in AZ-
    "Karen: I'm with you on this one. My filter was NAAAASTY when I replaced it. It was black, hard to believe it had ever been white, actually."

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwww :P

-Karen-
    Halfshaft, you bring up some good questions, and most have been discussed previously, but here's my $.02's worth:

"Agree" button thingy: dreamed up by a lawyer for those times when you take your eyes off the road at the wrong moment. And yes, there's no avoiding it on every startup.

"Seat Belt": it's 20 times per 30 seconds, not 25 times. See my separate post for details...it really does work!

"Mirror": may have to do with the darker privacy glass on the back windows, too, especially with those lovely bright 7-11 lights on front of you :-) There is no perfect auto-dim mirror (I think they are all slow to repsond), but it's great when you need it.

"Door open" and "Air bag" displays: one very informative (doors), the other not as much, but likely also dreamed up my lawyers who are way smarter than me...and yes, we're stuck with those, also.

The more I drive this car (just hit 16k miles just this week), the more I love it. It's not perfect (what car is?), but it fits my needs and my lifestyle very nicely.

Good luck with your decision!

-Karen in AZ-
  • aka1aka1 Posts: 110
    Recently "settled" on a B9 Tribeca. First mistake is you should have never "settled" on any car. Don't buy it unless it really makes you happy. Perhaps your wife wanted the RX350 or MDX and instead took the B9. The dash board was never designed or never intended to have wood trim installed: the trim would be stuck on to the dash, and with it being alteast a few MM in thickness, would impede the usefulness of buttons on the dash. The trim would never look just right on the curvy dash that we have. I do however agree that the wood trim would be very classy- this is my first car with a "silver" dash and was put off at first, but I enjoy it more and more every day.

Again, the MDX and RX350 have running boards as options.

Good Luck, cheers...
    "I do however agree that the wood trim would be very classy- this is my first car with a "silver" dash and was put off at first, but I enjoy it more and more every day."

Sounds like you "settled" for the silver plastic dash. ;) :)
    No- settling on something is accepting a weakness and going forward knowing that weakness is there... My Audi in addition to Burled Walnut, has aluminum trim accents- but the B9 would have been the first one in a monotone silver- gives it a much sportier look- and its easy to clean as well.

Settling is more akin to buying a Toureg for off roading- instead of an LR3, the Treg is at the dealership way too often to ever be able to get off road much less the dealer service bay...
  • robotb9robotb9 Posts: 82
    20.4 in the last 9673 miles according the onboard computer, burning premium gas, in a mix of city and highway driving. I don't commute in bumper to bumper freeway traffic.
    Darn- I've been thinking of buying a Touareg.
  • Karen,

A belated thanks for your answer, my computer's been misfiring.

I couldn't pull the trigger last week, but the car is still there and there's not much else out there that I like. I put a few gallons of high test in it, $3.09/ gal, ouch! At 20 mpg, this would be a significant increase, that's about the only thing slowing me down. As you say there's no perfect car and I can live with the other things. We'll see.

Halfshaft
  • msuvetmsuvet Posts: 54
    not really specific to the Tribeca, but since there's always some talk here about the up-cost to use premium & whether it's worth it...

Is the cost difference between regular/midgrade/premium generally $0.10 between all the grades? Here it is, or even less at a very few stations.

Doesn't that mean that premium actually becomes more of a "bargain" at higher total prices, since the up-charge is a smaller percentage?

Or am I just trying to rationalize things too much?
    ;)

Christina
    "Karen: I'm with you on this one. My filter was NAAAASTY when I replaced it. It was black, hard to believe it had ever been white, actually." (quote from juice)

Mine was very dusty, gray, not so black. Just watching the service rep show it to me, I could see the dust just flying off that thing.

Word to the wise: do this service yourself, and save the $78 your dealer will charge you for it :-(

-Karen- in AZ-
    My service rep asked me how I like the Tribeca after 11 months and 16k miles. I told her I love it more every day, and feel quite spoiled each time I drive it. She mentioned that they really anticipated lots more service problems since it's a new model, but have been surprised with very few issues in a year's time, and all relatively minor. Nice to know! Hope this is the case everywhere. (I'll re-post this in the Problems/Solutions forum for comments)

-Karen in AZ-
  • mikejlmikejl Posts: 78
    22,000 miles in 10 months, averaging right at 20 mpg. That's a mix of every kind of driving - rush-hour stop-and-go traffic, hilly, curvy country roads, urban commercial areas and pure highway.

When I can narrow down the mix to just highway, I see 24-to-25 mpg consistently. I think that's great for an AWD vehicle of this size.

I always use premium gas, even though it's not required. I believe the engine performance is smoother, acceleration is better and mpg is higher with premium than it is with lower grades. That's based on actual observation.

Around here, premium is 20 cents more than regular, no matter how high the overall price has risen, so it's no more of a penalty at $3.30 per gallon than it is at $1.89. The benefits are more than worth the extra 20 cents to me.
    I wanted a Treg as well- the high price tag coupled with serviceability steered me away... Still a phenomenal SUV.
  • My experience has been that I get about 10% better MPG with premium over regular, exception in inner city stop and go, then there is virtually no difference.

Since most of my driving is inner city and the fact that I am pissed at the oil companies, I use regular unless I go on a trip and can get better MPG from higher grades.
    I see that the leather seats come either perforated or solid. Seems to me that the perforated would be more comfy. However- I think I've only seen the dark gray leather perforated, and not the beige leather (which I prefer).

Anybody know what the deal is with this option? On which models is it potentially included?

thanks in advance-