Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• reuben2reuben2 Posts: 11
    I get between 18 and 20 typically, a bit more if I'm doing all highway and a bit less if all in-town. I vary between Premium and Mid-grade, and have found it doesn't seem to make a difference. There are so many other variables driving the gas mileage that it is actually very difficult to tell whether the grade of gas is making it better or worse.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Posts: 458
    Other peoples MPG and Gov't MPG est are meaningless.

I have found that with Premium and Mid grade there is virtually no difference in the performance or cost of operation. Premium gets me a little better MPG but the 10 cents per gallon higher price makes it equal to mid grade at a lower cost.

In Chicago urban driving I normally use regular and have no problems. MPG is not good with the regular, but with stop and go city driving MPG is hardly any better with more expensive grades.
  • newsubunewsubu Posts: 39
    Are the workers at Subaru's West Lafayette, Indiana plant where the B9 Tribeca is manufactured represented by a union?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nope. Generally the import/transplants try to avoid unions. Here's one article I found:

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=187&Arti- cleID=26333

-juice
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    Great article, Juice. Kokomo is my home town (I've been in AZ for 25 yrs now). Many Howard County (Kokomo) residents travel to Lafayette, Indy, even South Bend daily. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see the majority of new SIA employees in the next several months come from Kokomo's Chrysler or Delphi (formerly GM's Delco Electronics).

Hoosier Karen in AZ :-)
    And how Honda is going to build a plant in Indiana. The Hoosiers are on a roll...

-juice
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,042
    And how Honda is going to build a plant in Indiana. The Hoosiers are on a roll...

Ah but don't forget the Hoosiers paid a dear price to land that Honda plant.
    Hopefully it'll pay off in the long run, especially with all the new jobs also coming to SIA.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    I'm sure Indiana's hoping suppliers will locate near the factories as well. That's how it's worked here with Boeing. With high fuel costs, sometimes it becomes too expensive to ship great distances, and it's easier to cooperate across companies when they're physically near.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,042
    One of reasons for choosing this location in Indiana is because it's only about 120 miles from Honda's core in Ohio. They'll be able to draw on suppliers already there and IIRC, that's not an unusual distance for part suppliers.
  • bgadlagebgadlage Posts: 15
    Hi ALL,
    I am going to purchase a Tribeca 9 soon.
    I have several questions for you all.

Do you like yours?
    Had any problems?
    The 07 has the back up screen, the 06 does not.
    Is it neccesary?
    Where is the compass located?

Any good deals out there?
    I am open to any info.

Thanks
    Belva
    Ah. Didn't realize the distance between Honda plants was so close!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,726
    I don't own one, but have driven several, including one several hundred miles. Yes, I would think the backup camera would be very helpful, as the rear visability is not great on this vehicle.

As to the compass, if it's like other Subies, it's in the rearview mirror.

Bob
  • mikejlmikejl Posts: 78
    I have had mine for a year and I have over 27K miles on it. I still love it.

No major problems to report. One minor problem seems to be common to a number of owners - the front sway bar bushings are wearing out at around 20K miles. It's a quick fix covered by warranty. I think regular lubrication of the bushings may prevent this from happening again.

Again - that is a minor issue. I am 99% positive about this vehicle and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

The compass in mine is located in the rear view mirror. I have an auto-dimming mirror. I'm not sure if a compass is also included in a non-dimming mirror.

Both the backup camera and the sensors are great options. Visibility to the immediate rear is limited. Anything that can indicate an object is behind you will be very useful. I'll probably have this feature retro-fitted on my 2006 model. I am familiar with sensors because I have them on another vehicle, so I know how well they work, even in the dark. The camera would be just that much better.

There is a separate 'Prices Paid and Buying Experience' forum for the B9 that can answer your question about deals. I just took a quick glance and saw some talk about pricing under invoice - check it out.

Other info - Despite the extremely cramped third row seating, I have used it to good effect several times with teenagers. It is more useful than I thought it would be.

Other info, 2 - Get the puddle lights. They are helpful in many situations plus they are way cool. I believe they are still only available as a factory-installed option.

The 2007 has at least two other advantages over the 2006 that I wish I had - a driver's seat with memory and a functional cargo cover.
    Apparently the sonar backup system can be retrofitted to earlier models. If not then the aftermarket certainly can take care of that.

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    I already knew the cargo cover was not going to be retro fitable (<--not a word?) to the 06's and sad to hear it confirmed but thats good news on the sonar though still doesn't seem certain if at all on the rear camera.

I had heard the SE grill would be retro fitable to the 06. Any availability yet at dealership or subaru parts websites? I will prob try to get it online and then just have my dealer replace and install it.

what can we do with our orig grill? maybe dealer will give you some money for it?

i thought the grill was supposed to be available now. is the 07 even out yet, i thought it was for a little while now but haven't seen any and not last time i was at dealer either.

I'm eager to check out an SE with the new grille and even the chrome wheels. would like to see how the new cargo cover works but will prob just make me mad they did such a shoddy job on the 06 one.

any other news on the cobb beca? or other outfits that will supercharge it?

I still have a subtle and random slight rattling emanating from the front dash area somewhere in front of steering wheel to center of dash and posible from the part of the hood closest to windshield, somewhere within that vicinity.

it doesn't happen all the time but when you hit certain bumps but mostly its sideways movement that causes it. they couldn't figure out what it was last time at dealership and its prob something inside somewhere that is just slightly loose.

they said they've had this type of thing before and basically have to take apart that whole area of the car and tighten stuff like 10 things at a time and then test drive to see if the ratttling is fixed.

I was not to eager to have them do this and be without my B9 while the whole car is being taken apart to fix and minor random now and then rattling. i dont even hear it with music on.

never the less its annoying that they dont have a better way to target what and where it is. :confuse:
    '07s aren't out yet, but I think they're expected any day.

No new info on the Cobb Tuning site regarding supercharging.
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/cobbtuned/ct_tribeca.html
    All they say is they're still trying to determine if they should offer a complete vehicle or a supercharging kit, and they ask interested folks to contact them for more info. If they offer it as a kit, I'd think a few of the Cobb dealers around the country would be able to install it. Here's a link to the list of about 25 dealers nationwide:
    http://cobbtuning.com/links.html
    If I remember correctly, Kokomo had a very good shot at getting the SIA plant originally, but Subaru went with the Lafayette site because it was near the interstate...shipping does make a big difference. I believe I heard that from my Dad years ago.

-Karen-
    Here's a crazy post-script to my retro fit message. I had emailed five different local dealers about retrofitting these three items, and I got five completely different sets of answers...only one dealer managed to have the same answers as Subaru HQ gave me :-)

-Karen in AZ-
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    I emailed them about buying just the grill... I do not want the logo on the front of my B9.

They emailed back saying it was a one off and they didnt plan on making any more of the grills.

If anyone finds a online source for the limited grill let me know as well :shades:

=====

I noticed that I have a dull rattle ONLY when the fan is turned on and when going over bumps. its like a lose part was left lose in the air vent area. have to have the dealer check into sometime. but I am already at 11k miles hope they will cover it.
  • bgadlagebgadlage Posts: 15
    Hi All,

If I buy an 06 with Nav can a back up screen be put in?
    If so, how much?

How about the back up sensors?

When are the 07's coming out?

I have heard two different opinions.

Thank you.
    Belva
  • mayberryguymayberryguy Posts: 145
    Are the workers at Subaru's West Lafayette, Indiana plant where the B9 Tribeca is manufactured represented by a union?

No, Subaru is not represented by a Union and for the record, SIA is in Lafayette not West Lafayette. Glad to have you here. :)
  • newsubunewsubu Posts: 39
    Have the same random rattle in the front dash. Takes a series of small bumps to get vibration going, but does not happen all the time. Appeared after replacing the windsheild, (due to a horrible slice by a neighbor kid!)

Dealer tells me they did not tear into dash during windsheild replacement, but that's definetly where rattle is now coming from.

I, too, am hestitant to rip out entire dash to fix minor rattle, but it IS annoying. If you or dealer find a way to fix without dismantling interior, or pinpointing the loose part, please post.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    sounds like you have the same rattle that i do. was that you with a post above mentioning it? otherwise there is someone else with same/similiar thing.
    I am calling dealer in the morn to get appt. for headlight bulb replacement. the HID like sylvania silver star bulbs dont seem to lat long in the tribeca. first one went in under a year and now second one went in about a year maybe even not quite. not good. i dont know if its smething about the tribeca that burns them out quicker or if its just the daytime running lights burning them out in a year. in fact i better check with dealer which headlight was changed last time and make sure its not the same one otherwise i might have a problem with that headlifht socket but i think its th other side and the bulbs just aret lasting long in beca. i would think sylvania wuld know that most cars have dtrl and make them to last accordingly but i used similiar bulbs in my old car withou dtrl and they lasted so i think its that. i may have to do the parking brake button trick to disable them if i want to use diff bulbs and not buy them and pay for install every year.

in fact now im worried as its definitely been jus over a year since i got the b9 that i wont have warranty for the bulbs let alone the rattle and for the other control arm/sway bar bushin (first was noticed and changed after a fender bender which may have sped up its deterioration but it was pointed out to me then that the other was starting to crack a lile to) i did put dealer on notice about that.

when the first bulb went they would ahve replaced it with a stock bulb free but as i had already bought the 3rd new bulb i paid to have them put in but this is rediculous. if i have them do just the one that is out back to regular bulb then i have one hid like and one stock? or have them do both and scrap the 3rd sss i just had put in a month or so ago. why didnt subaru just make a xenon option like murano? 08 please?

i think i will opt to just put in another hid like sss bulb and then disable dtrl's. maybe this warrants dealer doing it but i should def write a letter to soa and take the opportunity to mention some other concerns mentioned.

my sticker does say to get service at the mleage i am already past bt i remember they put it about a thousand miles early just to get more service out of you but mine as eell now.

will have them check the status of the other bushing and see if they cant fix the rattle though i hate to be the guinea pig and have them take apat the dash not without compensation from soa for solving a recall type problem.

i think thats my main concern other then minor stuff like the brake pads showing rust which i think is normal but still they lasted awhile without but with all the rain it then sat on the wheel i guess even in garage drying ans was enough to cause it. i may get new wheels that arent as open and wont show te pad or should replacethem with better ones tha lok cool too like the cobb.

that is sad news about the SE grill sounding now like it wont be available after everyone saidit would even dealer and retrofitable. may have to get an 07 though at that point i mine as well et an audi Q7. even murano and lexus rx have a diff factory grill though maybe its also only on certain model type.
  • nambesalnambesal Posts: 2
    I've posted pics and information of my recent Class III Draw-Tite / Hidden Hitch installation on scoobymods
    scoobymods - Tribeca Class III Hitch Installation
    Great job documenting that.

Let us know what you end up towing and how it performs.

-juice
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    I also have a noise in the dash ... it is like a pop , not a rattle, something like a coffee percolator . It isn't regular or constant. I would like to get some idea what it is before I refer to dealer, for sure it won't do it when I bring it in.

Another minor concern is the reflection from dash lights into windshield when driving at night. Surprised no one else has mentioned this.

Otherwise very happy after 11 months and 11k.

Jerry
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    I have a noise (not constant, but infrequent) identical to the one you describe in my 05 Outback. Just like a coffee perculator, perking.
    Some hard drives sound like that, I wonder if the NAV system uses one? The DVD is under the seat, I believe.

-juice