Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I guess it's good to know you have excees capability at legal speeds, given how they behave at super-legal speeds.

To be honest I think 85 is plenty for US roads, there's no autobahn here.

-juice
  • b9driverb9driver Posts: 118
    I guess it's good to know you have excees capability at legal speeds, given how they behave at super-legal speeds. >>

Exactly. If the B9 is stable at 120 MPH, she's like a rock at normal speeds.

Robert B
    NY
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    When I bought my 05 OB last May (2004) the insurance company had to "guess" at the rate because it was so new. But after all the crash tests came out several months later, I got a rebate check from Met Life (a whopping $15.00, if I remember right). Not sure if it was because of the safe vehicle status, or other factors. Maybe the Tribeca's will have a similar rebate later, down the road...

Every little bit helps :D

-Karen in AZ-
    My last battery was an unselaed one, as well. Mechanics forgot to check it for several months until I inquired...guess the just assumed all are sealed, but not so.

-Karen-
    I chose the grey perforated leather because when you wear shorts, you don't stick to it as much when it's hot and humid (you still stick to it, but not as much :-)

In Arizona, it's pretty muggy and miserable from July until mid-September or so. My parents Park Avenue has the solid leather seats, and I have seriously lost a few layers of skin off the backs of my legs in their car more than once. Also, the AC vents on the Tribeca can point close to the thigh areas and help some.

I have seen the blue with the beige, and it is very attractive, as well, but very light in color, in my opinion. However, I decided I was tired of beige because it's harder to keep clean, and also since my last two vehicles had beige upholstery, and my new house has beige everything, too.

For comparison, I went to two different dealers...one had the grey leather in a silver (I think?), and I sat in it for a while in the heat just to see. Then I tried a black one with beige interior, and decided I thought it might be cooler, and I just liked it better with the blue...my 2-cents' worth only.

-Karen in AZ-
    I'm sitting here howling to myself, too...very funny, Robert!

-Karen-
    any other bulbs worth changing?

I mentioned a while back that I would like to have blue or white lights for the ambient floor lighting inside the vehicle. The amber just doesn't put out much light, and I think the blue or white (low wattage?) would be more helpful without being distracting.

Also, my dad thinks he read somewhere that flashing blue is reserved for police in most states (he is a retired law enforcement officer). I would check with your local police agency first before doing something that drastic (anything seen from the exterior, that is).

-Karen-
    There are two power outlets in the front console (one has my cell phone, one for my iPod). I have the fuzz buster in the dash up front that's connected with a 10-foot extension cord running under the floor mats to the third row rear outlet. Still have one more outlet free in the very back for a compressor, cooler, whatever.

Also, I had a champagne gold 05 OB (same exact color). It's a chameleon, turning silvery in overcast daylight, greenish under mercury or flourescent lighting at night, but is definitely a gorgeous light gold in bright sunlight. If you're on a budget, think "light beer" instead of "champagne" :-)

-Karen in AZ-
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    The B9 does blow away the X5 3.0 but not the other models/engines (4.4, 4.6)

And what do you mean it doesnt blow away the Murano? in what aspect? because it did beat it pretty convincingly in handling tests.
    Spfotey, you came to the right place to research this vehicle, because you'll find lots of honest opinions and first-hand impressions. Take a few hours and persue through the past posts and you'll find TONS of stuff...too much to summarize briefly.

Also, check out the reviews links I have posted for some of the professional opinions not already found here. For the most part, you're gonna find that those of us here really, REALLY like this vehicle, but don't just take our word for it...do your homework first!

Best wishes...Karen
    I chose the grey perforated leather because when you wear shorts, you don't stick to it as much when it's hot and humid (you still stick to it, but not as much>>>

We went with the blue/tan combo. Today it hit 92 in NY and I was driving with AC off for a change, enjoying a blast of hot air and loud Pink Ployd.
    But....
    I was sweating....
    And wearing shorts.....
    I'm typing his message from my wireless because I'm unable to get out of the car.

Robert B
    NY
    I've only read that the B9 outhandled the Murano in R&T through the slalom. But I really don't think there's a giant difference with these smaller SUVs. The X5, Murano, Lexus RX330. Even the semi AWD MDX is a very good car in real world driving.
    I don't think any one car has a truly big advantage. It's become pretty subtle. Subaru will need a B9 STI for a bigger leap. That's not to say I don't prefer the B9. I bought one because the others bored me to tears.
    No will someone come over here and spray some Pam on my non-preforated tan seats so I can get some dinner?!

Robert B
    NY
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    LOL

Let's not put Karen on the color naming panel. ;)

-juice
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    thats some estate! with roads long enough to hit 120 mph! must be nice area. I could see driving a 100 mph on the thruway for a short period of time to pass a bunch of trucks throwing rocks ect.... or to get some distance between a tailgaiter and you ;)

so a B9XT would be a great addition it sounds like. I am guessing the 18in wheels help in the stability. but the mpg probably dropped pretty quick at 100+ mph.
    I could see driving a 100 mph on the thruway for a short period of time to pass a bunch of trucks throwing rocks ect.... or to get some distance between a tailgaiter and you >>

True, but we're not allowed to discuss the B9's abilities in real world driving here. Violation of Edmund's charter. Naturally there are situations where exceeding the speed limit can save your life. I know it's saved mine. Just recently a 18 wheel truck started to slide into my lane and didn't see me. I was doing around 70 and was well boxed in. If I'd obeyed the law I'd be dead. If a car is capable of higher speeds and handling at thoise speeds I see it as a major safety factor. The faster, better handling car in skilled hands is the safer car because of what it can avoid.
    I don't want to test a crash rating, which is the very last line of defense.

Robert B
    NY
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Posts: 43
    hmm....you guys serious about sticking to the seat? :)

In my case, we already have 2 silver cars both with black interior. The suv will be our third car. We do have to consider the fact that the perforated seats will probably absorb spilled liquids by kids.

I test drove a silver/grey tribeca 5 seater, and I did like the interior. But most likely we will go with the beige as a change and for child-proofness.

thx for the feedback....
    For all the owners out there, can you post what you think are the must haves as far as options go and why?

Definitely getting a limited version, and leaning towards 7 seater right now.

as far as the nav and dvd go, can you guys post what the main difference would be if I just get after market units? which is the way I am leaning right now to save $.

I have nav on my Infiniti G35, so I'd appreciate any comparison between the stock nav and Inifinit's system.
    How much are dealer maintenance visits for the Tribeca?
    -Let's not put Karen on the color naming panel.

My dad always said he had champagne taste on a beer budget :-)

-Karen
    as far as the nav and dvd go, can you guys post what the main difference would be if I just get after market units? which is the way I am leaning right now to save $.>>>

You'll get more for your money with an aftermarket DVD system for certain. The stock unit is worth about 700 dollars. If you need the nav, get it because it's integrated and well done.
    Here's an example of what you can do with aftermarket DVD in the Tribeca...

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/mvideo.jpg

Robert B
    5 Pass. Limited
    NY