Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    It's coming .. I configured one on BMW's website and got to $40K without breaking a sweat. Really not that much less expensive than a 328i - except it will have 60 less HP.

It's only worth it if you want the base base model and don't load it up with anything. Sort of like the base Porsche Cayenne, I remember it being in the low $60k range here a few years ago but you got no sunroof, no bluetooth, tiny wheels, no power seats, pretty much nothing other than the Porsche badge and your power windows, locks, mirrors, and a/c. If you'd add up all the goodies like Nav, sunroof, better stereo, bluetooth, nicer wheels, and such you'd be sitting at about $20-$30k more.

On the other hand I doubt that dealers carry many of the base stripper models as the lease ads are usually ran nationally from BMW Canada.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    I saw a white 2-door K-car just last week, driven by a young woman. Hadn't seen one like it on well over a year.

I know someone who owns a '88 Aries America. He's the original owner and it's been an extra car for several years now. He's very handy, and does all repairs and maintenance himself. In its ~165,000 miles it's needed a lot of repairs, including a new head gasket. The automatic transmission is original, though.
  • 31 mpg on an '86 Nissan 6 cylinder? Ahem........

Saab Two-Stroke: I'd love to have that car, but not for that price.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Odd wheels on that Mk V. And anyone know what that oil-filter looking thing sticking out the side of the air cleaner on the Mk V does?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    I think some of those old econocars put out so little torque, the transmissions would survive with just a little maintenance. The old Tempo in my family made it to 190K when sold - and I have no memory of it even receiving a transmission service, although it must have, maybe.

Regarding the Mk V engine part - some malaisey thing to make a 460 put out under 200hp, no doubt. The wheels, 90s style "custom" stuff.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    Odd wheels on that Mk V. And anyone know what that oil-filter looking thing sticking out the side of the air cleaner on the Mk V does?

The wheels are horrible and that's not a "gold edition" it just happens to be gold. The oil filter looking device is just and air chamber to prevent drone and make the engine quieter.

The car actually looks decent for the price.

Two door Kcar is certainly a survivor.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,271
    I had quite a reaction to the interior picture of that Tempo; specifically the automatic seat belts. Geez, those things sucked.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    Maxima had them too.

I got rid of what was one of my favorite cars (a 1991 mazda 626 hatch) when it hit 90K, largely because I hated those belts. Still should have kept it though.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,271
    Maxima had them too.

So did the Cressida. I had an '88 that I put 150K on because I liked the car. But I hated those automatic belts each and every time I got into it. The ultimate insult was that they never would have worked as well as a 3-point harness if I had gotten into an accident, but I couldn't have the harnesses because the car had this lame system. Needless to say, I never start a car without belting up first, so I needed those automatic jobs like I needed a cold sore transplant.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

$2200 for a 400,000 miled up dented Maxima? I don't think so. He'd be lucky if he finds somebody to give him $1000 for it.

• At 400K a car really isn't worth anything. I mean, would you choose a 106 year old man for a tennis partner?
    Sure if I can win some trophy or money :P

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    no woosy FWD here. Actually looks pretty clean for one of these and not all that much money.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3599402473.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Put the correct wheels on and it wouldn't look too bad. It seems to me that a lot of these decent driver quality "barge" Lincolns have been showing up. For under 5K you can have something nice, if you are into that kind of thing.

Growing up my Aunt had a similar vintage Cougar in that same color combo. I remember her having it into the 90s.

Mk Vs all need those "turbine" style wheels.
    edited February 2013
    Couldn't agree more. Same goes for any 79-91 Box style Panther.

Oh yeah I forgot about that application. Really, a very clean wheel for a big car. Back around when I had my Galaxie, I knew another kid who had a 65, and he had AMC turbine wheels on it, similar to on the General Lee. It had a 70s hot rod kind of look to it.
  • Yep those pimpy wires need to go.

Rule of Thumb: If it's not British or Italian, don't put wire wheels or hubcaps on it, ever.

Rule of Thumb II: If you ignore my advice and do it anyway, remember that the smaller the wheel, and the fatter the tire, the worse the wires will look.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,589
    Rule of Thumb: If it's not British or Italian, don't put wire wheels or hubcaps on it, ever.

I think some domestic cars, on up to the early/mid 50's at least, could get away with true wire wheels. For instance, I think they look pretty good on this 1953 DeSoto Firedome.

However, in this case, it also helps that the center hub is very large, as well as the outer part of the wheel, so the part that's actually spokes is quite small in comparison. Those wide whitewalls help balance it out, too.

Rule of Thumb II: If you ignore my advice and do it anyway, remember that the smaller the wheel, and the fatter the tire, the worse the wires will look.

Also, not all wire hubcaps are created equal. My grandmother's '85 LeSabre had them, and on that car they didn't look too bad. They had a detailed, intricate pattern, and didn't stick out very far, so they didn't seem tacked on. However, the ones on my '79 5th Ave seemed cheaper, and stuck out more, like a cheap aftermarket hubcap you might get at AutoZone or something.