Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    Year, mileage, history, condition, price?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,146
    edited April 2013
    '86.
    ~95k miles. Interior is ridiculously clean. I've seen 2-year-old cars that aren't this nice. Zero rust. It shines up, but it does demonstrate a problem with the paint typical to this generation. I'm not sure how to describe it but it looks like hairline cracking throughout.. I think its called crazing(?). You can't feel it, as it is under the clearcoat, and there is nothing to be done about it (other than a full repaint). Its just there and you can see it when you get close. In any case, its actually very minor compared to some others I've seen. It was evident on every w126 I looked at when shopping. Maybe fintail knows more.

Guy who had it before me was incredibly anal. When I bought it, I shared somewhere around here how this guy actually had 4 small pieces of carpet in his garage for the tires to park on. During his short time with it, he had every fluid changed, the injection pump rebuilt, and more.

I've gotta fix a few things on it now, which is why I haven't put it up for sale yet (and I'm waiting for winter to REALLY be over). I have a new underhood insulation pad to install. It also has a small oil leak that I believe is the timing cover. I have a new timing gasket set and valve cover gasket to install. I also have a new air line for the cold start valve, which I know is cracked and I believe may be the cause of an off-idle stumble it has when cold. Oh, and the cruise stopped working. Also a common problem, so I gotta pull the board for that and check for cracked solder joints.

As for price ... I haven't quite figured that out. It depends on how it all comes out in the end. I'll probably be asking about $4500 for it, I think. Tough to find one with miles and interior like this. Considering I got $2k for my 190E with near 160k and horrible exterior, I feel this has to be worth double that.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I couldn't resist. I just emailed the seller for more pics and info.

I showed my wife the ad and, as I predicted, her response was "ewww!" So convincing her I need it may not come to fruition.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    Interesting. Did you buy it from the original owner?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    That is not an encouraging first response. Maybe you should have shown her a picture of a Zimmer first, and then when she recovers her composure, you can "compromise" with 'something more practical'. :P

No. He bought it from the original owner ... the proverbial little old lady who had it sitting in her garage not being driven. He wasn't mechanically inclined and had the bright idea that he could purchase a well-kept 25-year-old german car and use it as his daily and only car... hence the maintenance money he put into it to try to make it reliable. I believe it was about 18 months before he realized it wasn't the best idea.

I figured she'd call it a big banana.

She did say she liked the front end .... but "that's about it."

I'm hoping the interior is literally something to write home about. If it really is nice and rust free, I might have a talk with her about using this as my 40th bday gift instead of the Skip Barber school.

Good idea, I'll show her this! ;)

So I think that means mine is too cheap. Guess I should ask for more. ;)

...has me looking at more local stuff.

I like this.

Pretty classy. Wonder what the reserve is.

Light on details.

LOVE this. But I'm sure he wants more than I can part with.

If this is a mint interior, I'd hate to see his personal cars.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,510
    That "300S" - I wouldn't have thought they put a 2bbl in a "300"...

That Ford - what's with the "427" badges? It's a 390 :confuse:
    edited April 2013
    My guess is they came with the Cobra air cleaner. :P

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,501
    Your price is probably fair if the car is relatively pristine (have you tried to cut and polish around the paint patina?). W124s have a cult, so there is demand, but it is a cheap cult.
    The car polishes just fine. Clear coat is in very good shape. The crazing is deep in the paint. No amount of work with a buffer would remove it (well, unless you buff right on through to the metal).

That's odd, but maybe someone who knows the cars would understand. So long as the clearcoat is OK, the car should look decent. What's the exact color again?
    gold

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,330
    I have a question about the 300E that you posted. It looks like the badge on the other side of the trunk says "2.6". Isn't that a decontented model of the 300E? Does it have a smaller (2.6 liter) engine?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

I don't know if it had much less content inside, but the engine is a lower spec, yes (while still a M103 like the 3.0). It's a base model car. I'd expect less power, but maybe not terribly so, as they even put it in W126s in Europe.
    Oh yeah. I think I once looked at a late W126 300SE with that same issue. It wasn't too bad, not noticeable unless you really inspected it.