Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    It was not a good car when new, and has little collectors value. The SS adds a little, but it looks like the numbers will be wrong on the engine/tranny. If all matched and ran, maybe 1500. But still just a $1500 beater, IMHO.

Jim
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,010
    For the money, I'd junk the Monte. There's a really nice and well kept one of the same year and colors not too far from me for like $4500. It's money better spent.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    Here's one for you to look at and judge:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/49038442.html

PS: IF you want to post Ebay project cars, pick cars with the "Buy It Now Price" and we'll assume that's the price.

For craigslist, you can find project cars by typing "project" into the search window.

Other sources would be www.traderonline.com, and click on the "collector car" tab. You can assume that the asking price is the price.

Trick is to pick projects that are kind of borderline, so that we will actually have to give it some consideration. Cars that are 99% done or 99% trash aren't as much fun.

I'll throw this one is as a joke. Don't vote on it unless you are really crazy.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/48959970.html

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    My buddy just bought this same year/model with 93,000 miles on it for $3500. Car was really sound mechanically, and the body was really good, but the paint was faded.
    I have said scrap the other cars so far, but I will go out on a limb here and say Keep this one. IF and I say If you are willing to dig thru junk yards and spend time on the internet looking for good, inexpensive replacement parts, and if you have the mechanical ability to replace and fix most of this cars problems, you could probably get enough use out of this car to justify the amount of $ you put into it. On these older luxury cars a lot of times you can really be taken to the cleaners on something as simple as a replacement power seat motor. However, if you are not in a rush to restore it, and can take the time to search for good, inexpensive replacement parts, it might be worth it.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,066
    the Lexus. If it would start up and run, I'd take the chance, but that's the one thing that worries me. I could deal with the body damage, and even the torn interior. But the not-starting thing is the killer, for me at least. And I'm imagining that this thing is NOT like that Monte, where replacement engines and trannies are a dime a dozen!

Scrap the Buick, too. I'd actually like to see something like that be saved, because I know they have to be really rare by now, but I'm not gonna be the one to put my money up for it!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,010
    I don't know about the Lexus...depends on why it doesn't run. You can get a worn but roadworthy one for the cost of a few repairs on that one plus the asking price, so it's hard to say. If it needs any significant engine work....scrap it.
    Seem to me that if the Lexus ran it would say so. I'm very suspicious of the ad on that basis. What does it take to slap on a pair of battery cables?

I'm with Andre on this one, SCRAP it.

In fact, even for FREE this car would not be worth the trouble to re-hab, based on the premise that it isn't going to run very easily, that it will need some digging into.

So based on how it sits and the price on it, I don't personally see the point of fixing it.

The Buick goes without saying. If this were a very rare piece of American history, sure, but really you can buy cars like this ready and running for under $20,000. Might be worth saving the motor and trans, however, if they aren't rusted into oblivion. Also you can use a few body parts as models to re-make panels on a nice car that might have something missing.

• real iffy to me. If it was something simple like a starter, or if it cranked over but didn't start, maybe but if your iffy up front about it, that ain't a good sign.

I say scrap.
    to swap a Chevy 350 into one of these? ;-) Is that as sacreligious as when you do it to a Jag?
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    ...on the Lexus until I went back and read the "won't start" part. It could be something as simple as replacing the battery or starter or it could be something as sinister as a seized engine. The ad is too vague. I could deal with the body damage and torn interior as the car would make a pretty good beater car. I'd say "JUNK" due to the vehicle's inability to start and fierocious expense to get it back into operating condition.
    Besides, they are complex and expensive cars to fix.

Okay, here's another one: This could be tough to figure, but give it a try.

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/49079594.html

• at $7,500, I walk. '58 isn't near as popular as the 55-57's and for $7,500 I think I could do better than a project car. I think I have some sort of mental block about spending much more than 4 grand on a project or "tinkering" car.
    ...the car has too many mods to restore it back to original condition. Looks like an aborted street rod project.
    I love the way the seller photographed it wet to make it look "extra shiney".
    What's a fully done, non-stock '58 Chev Impala street rod worth anyway?

Hard to say because modded cars are valued mostly on the quality of the work.

But let's figure $12,000-$15,000 for a real nice job.

Can you get from THIS to THAT with this project car for $7,500??

but I don't know at this point. I do remember, for a brief moment in the late 80's or early 90's, '58 Impalas were actually commanding a higher price than '57 Bel Airs! Or maybe that was just the convertible?

Aah, what the hey. I'm gonna go out on a limb and vote SAVE. I've always liked the '58 Impala, even as a little kid. Always preferred it to the '55-57 Chevies.
  • I'm not in a position right now to have a 'project' car. I will be in a few years and I'll have a tough decision to make.

But here in the northeast, old american iron is hard to come by. Road salt, rain and limited space have worked together to destroy almost everything older than 15 years or so. Around here a Fiero is a classic collectible. ;)

So even something as 'plebian' as a '58 (not '57? gasp) Chevy could turn a lot of heads if it was cleaned up.

Save it.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,778
    I've always loved this car since American Grafitti but it is a lesser can than 55 to 57. This seller has done some nice work already but there is still a long way to go. I'd vote WALK at $7500. Notice that there are no pictures of the interior or floor?

I'd put the higher and at $20k for this, but it would be cherry for that much.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I think the real warning flag on that Lexus is the "Theft Recovery" tag, which equals curb-jumping, cop-chased joyride and all the myriad little gremlins that come with that. I wouldn't touch it unless I had another one on hand to use as a parts car (or vice versa).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=4502397688&category=6251&sspagename=WDVW

I think this one is worth saving, depending on the reserve ($1000 or maybe as high as $1500 if it is as rust-free as the Arizona locale implies). The true wideside bed has to be pretty rare on a pre-1960 GM truck. I'm tempted to bid on this one myself, put in the Muncie 318 it probably had to begin with, and drop in a GMC 305 V6 if it would fit. Sadly, I don't have anywhere to keep it out of the weather long enough to finish the 3-4 other projects I have lined up already.
    on that '59 GMC pickup. However, I would ditch that S-10 frame that comes with it! The idea of putting a full-sized pickup from an era when before they learned how to roll paper-thin sheetmetal down on the frame of a compact truck that probably has the GVWR of a modern 4-cylinder Accord just doesn't set too well with me!

As for theft recovery, I was a little leery of that, too. One of the biggest POS's I had was a 1988 Chrysler LeBaron turbo...a car that had been stolen several times while in my (well actually my ex-wife's) possession. I've often wondered if one reason it crapped out so badly later in its life was the joyrides?
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    Er, well, potentially nice, but a good low-rust beginning, anyway. Of course, we don't know the reserve, so this candidate really isn't quite 'fair'. Anyway, I vote 'save'.

Here we go again with the interchangable Chevy wheels: note the early '70s Chevelle/Nova wheels attached to that S-10 frame! Oh, when will it end?
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,778
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=6427&item=4504928095&rd=1

Buy it now price is $2800. I saw walk.

I appreciate the sellers forthrightness about the condition. His diatribe is actually a little amusing.

He doesn't know the milage, has that cheeso rear hatch and an 88 T/A isn't that collectible to begin with. This car in great shape and about 100,000 miles is worth 5 grand if you find a loyalist. It's also not a good sign that the seller is running a Trans Am junkyard out of his driveway besides.

Tell me what you think.
    Car is rusting on the exterior, plus it is in Illinois so it is probably rusting underneath too. For what he is asking, and what it would cost to restore, I would get a more desirable year.
    maybe pull out the engine and tranny, and put it in that Monte Carlo shell that Shifty posted earlier! Or that '59 GMC pickup...

But as far-gone as that body is, it's time to scrap. It's just too easy to find one of these that's still rust-free. And the rust on that one looks terminal!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,072
    thumbs down on the TA. Looks like a total money pit, and even if it was perfect, not desirable.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

The trailer parks are saturated with this kind of rubbish. I could see if the car was a 1969 model or an early '70s model with the 455
    To the shredder. The car is worth about $150.

Okay here's a project for you Mopar-ians.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/49278139.html

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

• While I wouldn't mind having a restored one of those, man.....that looks like a $500 car to me. At the price he wants, in that condition....I'd walk away......quickly.
    I have to agree. I love the car itself, but just in too rough of a condition for the price he is asking. The rust kills it. I'd walk.