Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,785
    edited February 2013
    Probably more like 20K, on a good day. I don't think I've ever seen a Carat Duchatelet W126 in the US anyway, very period piece.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,357
    That one would certainly solve the problem of limited rear legroom in my 380SE.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,018
    I was thinkin' more like $12,500. This is a curiousity, but in reality an Elephanto Blanco.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Probably not far off. Really, it might be better to seek a German buyer - they'd appreciate it more, and W126s are already minor collectibles there.

If I had an aircraft hangar or Leno's garage etc for storage, and unlimited funds, I'd want it.
    What on earth would you do with it? You wouldn't even gain any prestige because everyone would think you're a driver, not an owner.

In Germany, it would get tons of attention at shows - custom cars of that era have a cult around them now. Probably would get some attention at local shows too. But no fun to drive, for sure.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,603
    Shifty, you've discovered Fin's new business plan:

really? people take 80s Benzes to car shows in Europe? You'd never see that here.

Most definitely, especially highline and custom models. The 80s were 30 years ago now, and many people have some nostalgia for the era. These custom cars were very expensive and exotic when new, and are rare. I guarantee that an 80s era MB customized by AMG/Gemballa/Koenig et al would get a lot of attention there. There's even a signal red C126 500SEC with AMG trim that shows up at the local MBCA show here, always attracts people.

Like the stuff on this page - there's a cult around it now.
    I see. I guess it's a cultural thing. Here you could trip over one before anyone would notice it.

Nah, if I am going to be a driver, I will do it right:

I've driven one of those on a number of occasions. Interesting thing is that they really move right out, and handle pretty darn good, too. Very different experience than an American limo---*very* different. Teutonic, head to toe.

Too bad they are like restoring and maintaining a Victorian mansion. They really proved MB was in it for real. Less than 20 years after the end of the war, pretty amazing really.
    The MB 600 was an amazing car for its day--a technological showcase--one of the first truly modern Mercedes Benz postwar cars. You could give an American muscle car of the era FITS in that barge and if you couldn't out-drag one, you could easily out-turn them and lose them on a twisty track or road.

The 300 SEL 6.3 was even more ferocious (same engine).

I've seen some videos of one being tossed around back in the day. Pretty crazy - but I'd keep away. A 6.3 could top 140, which was a feat for a sedan back in the day.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,185
    This is the way I'd do it!

If I was really going to overdo it, I would do this - pretty much a locomotive with rubber tires, should get people out of my way :shades:

Took the old project car in today for an alignment and to have the suspension inspected. I was pretty afraid of a big bill, as the tires have worn oddly - but I got lucky, only needed a couple minor things ("damper" and "left tie rod" - both under $100). The veteran tech said the suspension was very clean and solid, and is now ready for new tires. Hope to get it those wide whitewall radials in the coming weeks.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    Nice. I figured it might be in for both tie rod ends and ball joints, as well as the steering linkage given its age. I need to replace the steering linkage on my Econoline... it's getting really bad. :blush:
    I had a steering coupling (I think) replaced many years ago - the steering had a lot of play before that. Cheap part, a bit of labor. At the same time, the car got kingpins. I guess there's not a lot more to do other than some bushings. Really looking forward to new tires, I've wanted some for years.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    How old are the tires? I had the original tires on my Mustang for about 18 years, but they were scary.
    I think they are from 1999-2000. They aren't cracked or rotten (looking), but they are pretty worn and were cheapies to begin with.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,185
    Can't wait to see pictures of your ride sporting the proper whitewalls!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    Tires. Yikes. I really haven't even considered replacing them, but the ones on my Econoline are from June 1995, and the set on my C20 are from July 1997. At least the ones on the pickup are well-worn and need replacement on those grounds (they have close to 50,000 miles on them). The set on the Econoline have maybe 20,000 miles and look nearly new. :cry:
    Me too, I am a little geeked now. Just gotta order them and make the arrangements - I will within a few weeks. The old car deserves them. The compliments I received yesterday reassured me about the old thing - the people at that shop loved it.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,801
    A journalist is looking for proud owners of cars 11+ years old to ask why you love your car. If you love your old car and would like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, March 4, 2013 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,603
    ...again. I remember his comment that restorations of 'normal' old cars return about $0.50 on each dollar spent. Just got back from visiting some friends, he had bought and restored a '41 GM pickup. Got the bug for a newer project and when he sold the '41 he got EXACTLY $0.50 on each dollar he had spent on the restoration...
    Seems to be a facile kind of joke but I've noticed that it is a remarkably accurate formula, give or take a few percent.

My friend sold his (very very nice) 32' Chevy rod for $51,000, after a long time trying. His receipts were about $104,000. (ouch!)

But he won some shows, drove it after the show circuit was done, had fun for a few years, so it was probably cheaper than 4 years of professional therapy at two visits a week. :P

There *ARE* cars you can make money on, but you have to be very shrewd about it.

As someone once told me, in a burst of good automotive wisdom:

"The profit on a car is in the buy, not the sell".

In the case of projects, it's in the buy and in the brakes you can apply to the restoration.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,623
    My issue of autoweek came yesterday. I always read the marketplace piece first, where they feature a recent auction sale.

This issue is was a gorgeous, bright green, over the top resto on a 1969 AMX. Sold for 32K, and supposedly had receipts for over 90K on the restoration.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Case in point---you have to choose the right kind of car to restore. If you chose to do a full nut and bolt, professional restoration on an AMC, Studebaker, Kaiser, Frazer, postwar Packard, or a "stripper" model of the Big Three, or most 4-door sedans, or a metal station wagon, or an entry level sports car, or a pickup truck or van, you're going to take a beating.

If it's not an open car or muscle car, or exotic European, it's risky.

As for street rods, I'm not sure any street rod in history ever made a profit, aside from the "period rods" built in the 50s by famous builders, or maybe some of the famous salt flats racers.