Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    xwesx said:

I ended up switching over the Crosstrek to the winter tires last night after additional snow yesterday. My wife said that her newish all-season all-terrain tires were "useless" on the snow yesterday, which must have been true since my car didn't even notice that it was slick! So, that's disappointing. Black mark for Continental terrain contact tires!

My son also didn't swap his tires yesterday before he had to go to work, and he said that it was "the sketchiest drive he's ever experienced." So, I didn't have to convince him to swap out his tires while I was working on my wife's car!

So far, the temperature is surprisingly stable just under freezing, but I do expect a few freeze/thaw cycles before October is out. If it stays cold straight into winter, that will be a marked departure from the last fifteen years and harken back to the "old days" when October meant winter!

I like snow, but this would be a little early for me :) We've been maybe just below 40F at night last weekend, but no colder yet - and now we are in for one of those warm October weekends you probably remember from your youth in eastern OR. When I say the 8th for my winter tires, I mean November 8th. I will probably be ok til then - the Blizzaks were a good investment, and the dealer understands my laziness by offering to switch them over for a nominal fee which includes storage of the unused tires/wheels.

Last year was like that here - straight into winter, we were getting regular sticking snow by November 10th - the leaves hadn't fallen yet, so it was a mess. All winter when I was shoveling I was also dealing with leaves.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

xwesx said:

I ended up switching over the Crosstrek to the winter tires last night after additional snow yesterday. My wife said that her newish all-season all-terrain tires were "useless" on the snow yesterday, which must have been true since my car didn't even notice that it was slick! So, that's disappointing. Black mark for Continental terrain contact tires!

My son also didn't swap his tires yesterday before he had to go to work, and he said that it was "the sketchiest drive he's ever experienced." So, I didn't have to convince him to swap out his tires while I was working on my wife's car!

So far, the temperature is surprisingly stable just under freezing, but I do expect a few freeze/thaw cycles before October is out. If it stays cold straight into winter, that will be a marked departure from the last fifteen years and harken back to the "old days" when October meant winter!

I like snow, but this would be a little early for me :) We've been maybe just below 40F at night last weekend, but no colder yet - and now we are in for one of those warm October weekends you probably remember from your youth in eastern OR. When I say the 8th for my winter tires, I mean November 8th. I will probably be ok til then - the Blizzaks were a good investment, and the dealer understands my laziness by offering to switch them over for a nominal fee which includes storage of the unused tires/wheels.

Last year was like that here - straight into winter, we were getting regular sticking snow by November 10th - the leaves hadn't fallen yet, so it was a mess. All winter when I was shoveling I was also dealing with leaves.
    Heat wave here in San Diego yesterday and today. Using the AC in the car for sure.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

xwesx said:

Heat wave here in San Diego yesterday and today. Using the AC in the car for sure.
    Looks like it might be a heat wave here too, for this time of year - upper 70s over the weekend. If I go anywhere I'll probably use AC, and if I take the fintail out, will complain about it being too warm. Motorcyclists have to be thrilled anyway.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,286
    xwesx said:

I ended up switching over the Crosstrek to the winter tires last night after additional snow yesterday. My wife said that her newish all-season all-terrain tires were "useless" on the snow yesterday, w

nto winter, that will be a marked departure from the last fifteen years and harken back to the "old days" when October meant winter!

Where are you located that it's snowing already?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550

Alaska!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Long Island Marketplace

LeMans is an absolute 20 footer and I think I detect attitude in copy but car could be workable

This Camaro might be decent Not sure what resealed floors are but a lot of work already done here

This Firebird is maybe less a little immediate work Did he say the exhaust pipes are gay?? :#

69 Fury III There are some really interesting cars like this that have spent their entire lives in the outer boroughs. Price is probably high but this Bronx Bomber looks like it's held up pretty well and is untouched

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited October 2023
    @xwesx is in Fairbanks, according to his info. Early snows up there, when we lived in Anchorage we expected snow on the ground from Halloween through tax day (April 15). Plus/minus, of course.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    gsemike said:

Long Island Marketplace

LeMans is an absolute 20 footer and I think I detect attitude in copy but car could be workable

This Camaro might be decent Not sure what resealed floors are but a lot of work already done here

This Firebird is maybe less a little immediate work Did he say the exhaust pipes are gay?? :#

69 Fury III There are some really interesting cars like this that have spent their entire lives in the outer boroughs. Price is probably high but this Bronx Bomber looks like it's held up pretty well and is untouched

It irks me when a car had factory air yet it gets yanked out for what, better performance? Only if you are racing it does the extra weight really matter.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

More likely is crapped out and they did not want to repair it. Or got lost in an engine swap.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    Mother nature doubled down today! We had another 3" this morning, and possibly one more on the way before the day is out.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

Mother nature doubled down today! We had another 3" this morning, and possibly one more on the way before the day is out.

Current conditions and forecast - brrrr. We're getting our first 'cold snap' in DFW, 52 degrees tomorrow a.m.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,666
    gsemike said:

Long Island Marketplace

Funny on the LeMans the the price is the same as the mileage.

My father had a 68’ Fury II which I thought was a pretty sharp car.
    He also had a 71’ base model Fury which was sparsely equipped.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

gsemike said:

Long Island Marketplace

I'd be tempted to get a few throwaway numbers and spam the LeMans guy with something about this not being an auction site.
    xwesx said:

Mid-upper 70s here this weekend, one last grand gasp of warmth, as in a few weeks there's a good chance we'll be getting near freezing at night anyway.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

Ok - I want the Panther and the Daytona. Yes I’m weird.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,666
    I’d take the New Yorker and the Mercury but at half the price. I guess the traditional $1500 car is now a $6000 car.

When I see a 33 year old car with only 4000 miles I shake my head and say what a waste.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I love the Daytona. and have a soft spot for the Toyota PU

edited October 2023

Corvette-I’d get a 2010 for that price

Lincoln-only for someone try to recreate grandpa’s car.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    On the Vette, I think you could find a ZR-1 for that price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Interesting batch. I like the 68 cutlass. I like the unique looknof those. As a big block car that would go for a good deal more in these parts. I'd ex0ect q 25k ask here in NY

@stickguy said:
    More likely is crapped out and they did not want to repair it. Or got lost in an engine swap.

Yeah, agree. Especially if you're throwing in a used engine of different vintage it may not all swap over.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    Somebody did a junkyard engine swap on that '68 Cutlass since the 455 didn't arrive until 1970 and the Cutlass could only come from the factory with a 350 in '68. It is a roll of the dice as to how it works I suppose. Hopefully they put a TH400 transmission behind it. Interior looks tired although the blue interiors in those did not age well. The first pic made me think it was painted an unfortunate light-mid blue but the later ones show the color differently so it may be close to a factory shade, difficult to tell.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I’d take the New Yorker and the Mercury but at half the price. I guess the traditional $1500 car is now a $6000 car.

When I see a 33 year old car with only 4000 miles I shake my head and say what a waste.

At least locally, the old (as in prices from 2015 era) serviceable $2500 work car is $5000 now, maybe more if it has any hipster flipper "retro" cred. At the same time, the old $200K house can easily be $500K+ now, and the old $50K/yr job is now $60K/yr. Ah crap.

Corvette is a lesson for those wanting to buy one and put it away to have a minter in 30 years. Invest the price in anything - even at 5% you could then come back 33 years later and buy a couple of them with almost no miles, and have money left over.

@ab348 said:
    Somebody did a junkyard engine swap on that '68 Cutlass since the 455 didn't arrive until 1970 and the Cutlass could only come from the factory with a 350 in '68. It is a roll of the dice as to how it works I suppose. Hopefully they put a TH400 transmission behind it. Interior looks tired although the blue interiors in those did not age well. The first pic made me think it was painted an unfortunate light-mid blue but the later ones show the color differently so it may be close to a factory shade, difficult to tell.

A 68 442 would have had a 400 but yes, never a 455. The 455 doesn't look like a fresh swap so I'd imagine it's sorted out hopefully but it could be running a TH350 and 2 42 open read

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    72 Cutlass, rough and not Supreme, lol. Actually a 4dr Supreme only came as a hardtop, not a post sedan.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

The Falcon wagon would be a cool project if you have a stack of cash you’re dying to get rid of.

spokane looks like the island of misfit toys for VW buses

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    That 69 Galaxie is quite the find, what with the 390 diesel.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    edited October 2023
    The Camry sounds like a timing belt. If I was in the area, I'd be sorely tempted to snap that one up given the overall condition. I like the Falcon, too, but I don't think I could handle @ab348 making fun of me if I actually bought it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

The Camry sounds like a timing belt. If I was in the area, I'd be sorely tempted to snap that one up given the overall condition. I like the Falcon, too, but I don't think I could handle @ab348 making fun of me if I actually bought it.

Not at all. You already have an Econoline so I'm sure many of the mechanical bits are the same. Trim parts might be an issue though.

The T Bird super coupe actually looks really fair

If you really wanted on in 89, snap that up
    First car shopping on Long Island
    4 grand to 7500

Old Bimmers can be tricky but these looks OK for the price

Korean Buick These have really disappeared around here

Most boring Camry on Earht but should have plenty of life left

G8 V6 but looks sharp

This was worth 5 grand before the accident

88 Vette These are a dime a dozen but it's a manual and miles are decent

Sonata - it must be ok, it has "no significant damage or problems"
    Corvette - the one closeup pic of the interior is of dirty/grimy stuff. 5 minutes with a bottle of cleaner and roll of paper towels, please!
    $30k for a decent SS396 clone seems to be reasonable, dash/console/steering wheel could use some work:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/282000851375849/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks
    texases said:

Sonata - it must be ok, it has "no significant damage or problems"
    Corvette - the one closeup pic of the interior is of dirty/grimy stuff. 5 minutes with a bottle of cleaner and roll of paper towels, please!

Yes, a good wipedown will help
    texases said:

$30k for a decent SS396 clone seems to be reasonable, dash/console/steering wheel could use some work:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/282000851375849/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

In these parts, Big Block Chevy is gold, so that does look pretty good. 68s don't get the same money as 69-70, and manual steering and brakes hurts it, but I've definitely see worse 30 grand Chevelles
    edited October 2023
    Yeah, I thought at that price it left room to upgrade the brakes and steering. But I would also need a/c, so not the one I'd get for Dallas. I'd pay the extra $$ to get one ready to drive. Looks like that one in the ad used to have a/c, at least, so maybe not too expensive to refit it.
    I bet the price on the Sonata is the balance on the note.

Many predicted that style would become dated, and they were right. The sibling Optima aged much better.
    texases said:

Yeah, I thought at that price it left room to upgrade the brakes and steering. But I would also need a/c, so not the one I'd get for Dallas. I'd pay the extra $$ to get one ready to drive. Looks like that one in the ad used to have a/c, at least, so maybe not too expensive to refit it.

That car is not too far from me. We get real summer but a lot of these cars don't have AC. I guess if you're driving at night with the windows open it's OK
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    The trunk well on that Chevelle looks scary.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

True, I hadn't noticed. Definitely have to go over that car with a magnet, put it on a lift, etc, before making an offer.
    texases said:

True, I hadn't noticed. Definitely have to go over that car with a magnet, put it on a lift, etc, before making an offer.
    Good catch. Amatuer repair. Could be a car that someone buys and a few years it's bubbling all over
    The '97 Cougar seems like a reasonable buy and the '98 Caddy might be also. The cars of that era scare me a bit now though with sensors and electronic gizmos that are unobtainium. The '83 GP is a bit dear but I'm impressed that the interior seems to have held up pretty well.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    We are supposed to have a nice weather week coming up. 60 for a high tomorrow and 70's through Friday.
    Charging up the battery on the Mustang in anticipation of that.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    something to entertain Wes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RprJwwT1d1w

That Cougar is probably good for someone that likes them, but man, I don't like that year.

The front fascia, it's like it has a tiny Lincoln grill. I think that Ford gave up on trying to position it as sporty and was trying to go with classy. Very awkward

We are supposed to have a nice weather week coming up. 60 for a high tomorrow and 70's through Friday.
    Charging up the battery on the Mustang in anticipation of that.

Nice. Your engine bay looks terrific