Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,898
    Hmm, maybe I need to bump up the agreed-value of the insurance on my '79 New Yorker, and let this mechanic take it for a spin... :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,529
    Your post does bring up the interesting question:

"If your classic __________ got totaled, would you use the payoff to buy the same type of car again?"

"If your classic __________ got totaled, would you use the payoff to buy the same type of car again?"

No need to, I already have a backup! :P

If my DeSoto ever got totaled, I think I would try to seek out another '57-58, as long as it's at least a Firedome or Fireflite, hardtop coupe or convertible.

If the Catalina ever got totaled, maybe use the payoff as an excuse to advance to a Bonneville? Or, if I wanted another big convertible, I wouldn't mind a '72 Impala or '75 LeSabre.

As for my LeMans, if it got totaled, I dunno if I'd seek out another one. As for my New Yorkers, if one got totaled, I'd hold onto the wreckage for parts for the other one, but I think I'd simply bank any payout, rather than add to the fleet.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,202
    aw, hell no. Life is too short to own the same car twice. ;)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,144
    If something ever happened to my 1989 Cadillac Brougham, I'd put the settlement towards buying a Concours-quality 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood.
    aw, hell no. Life is too short to own the same car twice.

Now that I think about it, I've always wanted a '61-62 Caddy. So, if something happened to one of my rides, maybe I'd put the settlement towards that.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    edited March 2013
    Even my German is better than that. As he left the town of Hoepfigheim, he encountered a left curve and lost control.

It is the first time I've tried Google Translate. It really doesn't account for the differences in sentence structure between German and English.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    aw, hell no. Life is too short to own the same car twice.

Like I'd even want another ION!

Now, with the wife's Mazda, we'd probably go with another SUV.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,278
    I would never get the same thing for myself. Not sure what would happen if the RDX (wifes car) got totalled. She might want another one, but I would make sure to do the research/test phase again! always something new to look at.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,392
    Haha, yeah, it looked pretty bad to me, and I can't read a word of German. I got the gist of it, though. That's the problem with any of the translators I've come across: They just don't account for structural differences.
    It looks like the driver's mirror is unscathed, though. That saves about $5K alone! :P

For me, that's a resounding "NO!" Not because I don't like my antiques/classics, but simply because the most valuable part of any of them (to me) is their history. Without that, I wouldn't have a good enough reason to have them to make me seek out another.
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 767
    That's my motto, although the 328 may test it.

Owned the same make 3.5 times. Mustang and Explorer about 8 yrs apart; Tacoma and 4Runner about 6 yrs apart; Accord and TSX (thus the .5) about 4 yrs apart.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,560
    edited March 2013

Hmm...I don't know. Fintail has a mere 5K of agreed value coverage with Hagerty - could probably find an OK old MB for that kind of money, but I don't know. Fintails are not expensive, but not easy to find a decent one anymore. I might be stuck. I wonder if they'd let me keep the tires :shades:
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,144
    All I know is, I'd be really upset at losing my Brougham. The car has been with me for over 24 years. I could probably easily find another nice Brougham, but it won't be my car!
    That's it! Granted, it might be a *little* more difficult for me to find a nice '69 Ford Econoline, but the same point stands: It wouldn't be my car. :cry:
    I've passed the 18 year mark with my car. It would break my heart to lose it in a wreck. I also know all of its quirks - picking up another 50 year old car with lord only knows what issues might be uncomfortable.

Really nice fintails seem to have crept up a little, maybe I should add a grand to that value.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,333
    I also know all of its quirks - picking up another 50 year old car with lord only knows what issues might be uncomfortable.

Exactly the same with me with my 28 year old. I would be very hesitant to pick up a replacement car with an unknown history.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,778

Really good question. I wish I had a good answer.

In my case I would be getting a cheque for $18,000. I know I wouldn't want the exact same model/year again. But whether I'd want something close, something very different, or anything at all is really hard to say.

I never use the Cutlass these days and I hold onto it thinking that once I'm retired, I'll do a bunch of things to it and with it. But who can say for sure.

At times I think I'd like to have a Chrysler fuselage car, but I suspect I would drive it even less than the Cutlass. At times I think I'd like to have a modern sporty car, like a Mustang GT - but $18K won't buy one of those.

It is a really difficult thing to figure out.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I'd guess a really minty 123 or 126 would be one of the safer old car bets out there - they are just so solid. But it would have to present as-new and have documentation. They aren't getting any cheaper,either.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2013
    I'd guess a really minty 123 or 126 would be one of the safer old car bets out there - they are just so solid.

That is what would cause me to consider trying to find a replacement for my 126 despite my misgivings about hidden issues. The solidity, and the quality of the switchgear, simply delight me.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

In the gas engine variety, I think a W126 is a much better car. The W123s went through some very shaky emissions technology.

I was thinking if I don't buy my lease or lease again - maybe buy a nice 123 or 126, 1983+ turbo model especially. I still like 126s a lot, and 123s have enough of a cult that they will always be around.
    Maybe a W123 turbo diesel, sure. But not a gas engine. You'd be sorry I think.

Yeah, the only gas 123 sold here was the 280E, which is kind of old fashioned now. Diesel is the way to go for a 123. For a 126, smarter money would be on a later M103 I6 if not a diesel, the big later V8s are tempting, but maybe getting too thirsty for modern times.
    Depends on how much you drive it. The difference in $$$ between 16 mpg and 26 mpg isn't so bad if you are only doing a few thousand miles a year.

On the highway the V8s apparently do as well as the 6s as they can loaf along. But in town, maybe not so good. Of course, a loaded 560SEL/SEC is the ultimate non-tuned 126.
    Yeah but a 560SEL is also the ultimate money pit. Most of them I see are real beaters.

edited March 2013
    I saw a sad neglected 560SEC today - was obviously not firing on all cylinders, and was smoking.

The engine must be more maintenance than the I6, as they are almost identical otherwise.

Another decent one might be a final run (98-99) S320, they seem to be pretty durable, no teething problems of the earlier ones, tons of presence, cheap...but nice W140s are harder to find than nice W126s.
    300E was a good car.