Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,009

I don't see how it could be worth $17K. You can buy extremely nice ones for $30K. How are you going to get from "crud" to "nice" for only $13K? You aren't even going to come close.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• texasestexases Posts: 5,597
    edited August 29

I can't imagine somebody paying that money for the Nova unless their family had that exact car growing up, and they just HAVE to have one again. Otherwise, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The car is a "sleeper", but only for the driver ! :)

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741

Original ball joints and shocks = needs ball joints and shocks!

• gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,770

@texases said: I can't imagine somebody paying that money for the Nova unless their family had that exact car growing up, and they just HAVE to have one again. Otherwise, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree. The Nova is a plain jane grocery getter _unless _you have a nice V8, 4 speed, centerlines..... Maybe not original but you can buy all sorts of nice Novas in the teens. Who would be so hopped up about that one and be like sure, 400 horse and 5 grand less but I'll pass?

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,997

In a twisted sort of way, I kinda like that '72 DeVille. I bet it would give Lemko a heart attack, though! The '75 Cougar is kinda cool, too. I'd have to revisit them to really refresh my memory, but IIRC, those intermediate Fords actually fit me better than the rival GM and Chrysler cars. I remember sitting in an LTD-II, which is essentially the same car, and the seating position, while low, at least went back pretty far. Cars like GM's 73-77 intermediates, or the '71-79 Mopar B-body, didn't seem like the seats went back as far, at least with the standard seats. The only reason I'm comfortable in my '76 LeMans is that it has a power seat, and it goes into some pretty contorted positions.

As for that Cordoba, it's interesting how it's trimmed. Leather seats, cornering lights, and two-toned paint, and it looks like it has cruise control. Yet it has crank windows, and I don't think that steering wheel tilts. Hard to tell if it has power locks or not. On the R-body, with power locks you pull up, or press down, on one of the lock plungers on the front doors and it locks or unlocks all of them. I can't remember if the Cordoba was like that as well, or if it had a switch like how GM did it?

edited August 29

While I know that AMX may be a bit high, I like it because it hasn't been messed with, as far as I can see. No big holes cut in the interior for speakers, no rat's nest of wires under the hood for electrical 'repairs', no aftermarket wheels/big tires. How often do you see a '60s air cleaner in such good condition?

IF (big if) there isn't a lot of hidden rust, all I might do would be to have the bumpers and valve covers rechromed, clean it up, and drive it.

But...no a/c in Dallas? Sorry, I'll pass.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,582

I love those amx models. Though that one needs a 4 speed and rallye pack.

Of course in the day I owned both a gremlin and a hornet.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,357

@texases said: But...no a/c in Dallas? Sorry, I'll pass.

I have sometimes wondered how expensive it would be to retro-fit A/C on a car (such as the AMX) that offered it as a factory option. Any stories out there?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

Vintage air. Pretty easy to do on one of those. Plenty of rooms for parts!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Yep, Vintage Air makes some very nice retrofits. Of course, you'll have to order the universal kit, since they aren't going to engineer one for an AMX from scratch.

@stickguy said: Vintage air. Pretty easy to do on one of those. Plenty of rooms for parts!

I guess I'm a little conflicted about putting a/c on that AMX. It's fairly original, so adding the a/c will affect that. But it's no trailer queen, so I'd do it. I put a/c on my '72 Duster (moved to Houston), and after replacing the fan and radiator it worked fine.

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,357

Thank you all for the responses. For some reason I identified Vintage Air with installations in older cars (OK, I'm obviously older myself not to think of a '68 AMX as an older car) where A/C was not originally offered. I did not realize that they make original-looking installations in cars where it was a factory option.

That reminds me of when my father bought a '74 Vega. He had to have an automatic and power steering because of a shoulder problem. When he broached adding A/C as well, even the salesman told him he might want to think twice. I always suspected it was because trying to turn a corner from a dead stop with the A/C on might have required more power than the engine delivered.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,766
    edited August 30

No fintail for the holiday weekend - lo and behold, they didn't think of having the generator sent out, as the investigation stopped at the voltage regulator. A new one arrived, no change. Now the generator has been sent out, and the car is delayed another week or so. I am a little irked.

there is a growing trend in the old car hobby not to worry so much about originality, especially if the modification is a) reversible and b) improves the car. Collectors nowadays want to drive and enjoy their cars, especially mass-produced American cars. They are getting tired of sitting in lawn chairs at car shows talking about the correct shape of valve cover bolts or viewing yet another long row of 69 Chevelles.

@texases said: I guess I'm a little conflicted about putting a/c on that AMX. It's fairly original, so adding the a/c will affect that. But it's no trailer queen, so I'd do it. I put a/c on my '72 Duster (moved to Houston), and after replacing the fan and radiator it worked fine.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,178

@andre1969 said: In a twisted sort of way, I kinda like that '72 DeVille. I bet it would give Lemko a heart attack, though! The '75 Cougar is kinda cool, too. I'd have to revisit them to really refresh my memory, but IIRC, those intermediate Fords actually fit me better than the rival GM and Chrysler cars. I remember sitting in an LTD-II, which is essentially the same car, and the seating position, while low, at least went back pretty far. Cars like GM's 73-77 intermediates, or the '71-79 Mopar B-body, didn't seem like the seats went back as far, at least with the standard seats. The only reason I'm comfortable in my '76 LeMans is that it has a power seat, and it goes into some pretty contorted positions.

As for that Cordoba, it's interesting how it's trimmed. Leather seats, cornering lights, and two-toned paint, and it looks like it has cruise control. Yet it has crank windows, and I don't think that steering wheel tilts. Hard to tell if it has power locks or not. On the R-body, with power locks you pull up, or press down, on one of the lock plungers on the front doors and it locks or unlocks all of them. I can't remember if the Cordoba was like that as well, or if it had a switch like how GM did it?

I just HAD to look! YEESH!!! Still, it's not as bad as the rat-rodded 1969 Coupe DeVille I spotted on the way to work a couple months ago. That one truly was a rat!

edited September 2

Anybody want to take this on? I found a '79 Cadillac Seville with 25 original miles on it---yep, verified.

It's been sitting in a somewhat damp underground garage so it smells very moldy inside and ground moisture seems to have affected the engine compartment and chrome to some extent, although not severely. Hasn't run in 34 years.

I googled the distance from the Cadillac dealer to the residence and yep, 25 miles.

P1130912.JPG 725.4K
    P1130912.JPG 725.4K

P1130895.JPG 691.4K

Wow. As much as I like that generation Seville, with so much to do, and such a limited source for aftermarket parts for the Seville-only engine and interior parts, fuel injection in particular, it seems like a 'can't get there from here' situation. What would it be worth restored? $30K?

Oh, I doubt that much at all Tex. Hagerty's Price Guide, which is wildly generous to begin with, puts a #1 condition car at $13,000. I'd say that's about the sky high limit.

I'd guess that you could get it on the road and make the interior and exterior "livable" for maybe $3,500. That's not correcting everything of course---just making it safe and habitable.

So you'd have to buy in pretty cheap. I see these online in very VERY nice condition for $7500--$10,000.

Yeah, I just put a crazy high (say 2X) price on it because of the 25 original miles. I guess that might make a difference on a classic/collectable. This is more in the 'neat used car' category, nothing like that premium would apply.

That Seville is amazing!

Getting the mold smell might be a tough thing to do.

Still, it would be fun to wake it up!

Not that anyone is restoring one, but it would be a perfect sample to show exactly how it came from the factory.

They aren't bad cars, if a bit floaty-boaty. You could make it a daily driver. The Olds 350 engine and TH trans are pretty bullet-proof.

I'll bet there is a very good chance that engine is locked up.

I agree, those were excellent powertrains and nice cars to drive.

The more I think about it, the more I would love to dive into that car and bring it back to life!

What would you pay for such a car?

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,997

I remember sitting in a first-gen Seville a few years back at a classic car show, and man, was I disappointed! Now, I'm simply looking at it from a tall driver's perspective, so this has no bearing on how significant the car was for the time, how timeless its design was, etc.

As hard as GM tried to differentiate this car from the Nova (contrast it to the Lincoln Versailles versus a Granada), as soon as I sat in the Seville, the driving position betrayed its humble underpinnings. Every bit as cramped as a Nova, with skimpy legroom, and the whole cowl is just too close to the driver...dashboard, windshield, etc. It's not a car I could drive for a very long distance, at least not comfortably.

But, if you're more average in the inseam, or don't have to drive long distances, I imagine they were great cars. I love the looks of them. Handling on them may be floaty by today's standards, but I'd guess they were pretty good for the time. They were trying to shoot for a more "European" buyer. And, if you trace it back far enough, they were related to the Camaro/Firebird.

edited September 2

On Ebay most of that gen Sevilles get bid up to around $5k (average), maybe $10k at the most if they're REAL clean. One did get bid to $18k with 32k miles, but that was the odd one out. Only 2 bids on it, makes you wonder...

It's an old lady's car (no sexism intended....that was the marketing scheme for the car anyway), and so you can find low mileage examples all over the West coast.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,499

@Mr_Shiftright said: What would you pay for such a car?

Well, I paid $500 for my '69 Chevy C20, which was in nearly the same condition as that (well, 28,000 more miles, but all in one year and then it just sat, and sat, and sat). So, adjusting for inflation, I'd say $1,000. Yeah, I'd pay $1,000 for it.