Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cars for Moms - comments, concerns and wants!

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    25 years ago, companies could sell station wagons. In Europe, they still can. This is the reason why the Germans (and Volvo) still make wagons and nobody else does. There used to be Camry and Accord wagons as well, you'll notice they are long gone. People would much rather have a Highlander or Pilot.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,505
    Or an Exploder or something else that is really just a pretend wagon.

Accord wagon in NA? I know they sell it elsewhere...and it is kind of interesting.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    There are a number of great comparison discussions in the Forums. So we can keep this discussion on-topic of "Cars for Moms..." here are some places to discuss specific vehicles or class comparisons:

Help me select a Wagon

Upcoming Wagons & Crossovers
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...try here:

What Wagon Would You Like To See Offered?

kcram

Host - Wagons

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Today I saw a Mercedes E-Class wagon with three child seats (not baby seats...belt positioning boosters) across the back. They seemed to fit just fine.

As far as cars for moms; well, it's been four years since our first child; we've now got two, and there is NOTHING I can say or do to get my wife to give up her Honda Accord coupe!

Actually, the two car seats fit in the back seat of the Accord just fine. For family trips we take my Volvo S70, but we've never wanted for passenger or cargo space in either car (and this includes family trips from Iowa to Massachusetts at least annually.) I'd like to get her a wagon (or get me a wagon and have her drive my car...either way is fine by me) I guess I've always been mystified by people who have one kid and decide they need a Honda Odyssey or Chevy Tahoe.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Or a Suburban or 'slade.
  • My friend has four kids (three are triplets), and she says that what she really wants is a minivan, or any reasonable-looking car, that has a total of four rows of seating. Sure, she could get a passenger van, but those things are WAY ugly. Does anyone else feel the same way?
    For 4 rows of seats to be A) remotely comfortable, and B) relatively accessible, nothing will work except a full-size van. A minivan or SUV would have major entry/exit issues unless they had three doors per side - that huge slider on a full size Econoline-Club Wagon, Express/Savana, or Sprinter allows safe, easy access for all passenger rows. That level of access would also be imperative in an emergency situation - yoiu're never in a seat that requires climbing over or folding down another seat to get to a door.

kcram

Host - Wagons

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gussguss Posts: 1,181
    We have three kids and while the mini-van works excellent, for looks I think the passenger vans are much nicer. My neighbor has 3 kids and he has a Ford as a third vehicle, he's not giving up his Porsche. It has tons of room and looks more manly than a mini-van.

The downside he gets killed at the pumps, 8-9 mpg.

Before we got our mini-van I joked to my wife about buying a used limo. Think how cool the kids would look pulling up to school in that.
  • Guss -- Limo? Only in Beverly Hills! (And I don't doubt that happens.)

kram -- You're right about the safety issue. But isn't that already an issue in many minivans and SUVs, where you have to fold and flip a seat to get to the third row? I shudder to think of what would happen in an accident... I've never really thought about it before, but it's a serious question.

I have my minivan configured for my convenience -- the second row seats have the space in the middle, which makes it easier for me to load my daughter in her carseat (because it's right next to the open door). The carpool kids have to climb into the second row, and cross to the third row by squeezing between the two second-row seats. I had been thinking about putting the second row seats together to make it easier on the carpool kids (especially now that my daughter is almost 3). Now that I think about the difficulties of exiting the car with my current configuration, I'm even more likely to make that change. Thanks!
    My dad has an 01 Dodge Grand Caravan as his "retirement Winnebago". He has the 4 bucket seats and the third row bench, which is an absolute nightmare to get to from the sides... almost easier to climb in from the rear hatch and flop over the seatback!

kcram

Host - Wagons

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I've found a wonderful link on the Chevy site,

http://www.chevrolet.com/safety/latch/

that will tell you how many car seats you can fit in any of their cars, or conversely, which cars will fit the number of cars seats you have. You can also find illustrations of where to put the car seats depending on if you want to use LATCH or prefer to belt them in. This may be an industry first and it is very easy to understand. Way to go Chevy!
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    WOMEN AND TRUCKS
    One of our journalists is writing an article about women and trucks: why they love their trucks, the decisions that they have to make when purchasing a truck versus a car, and whether or not they’ve encountered discrimination or bias when buying or driving a truck. If you’d like to share your story, please respond to jhelperin@edmunds by Sunday, March 26th. Thanks!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I hope both you and he are aware that the right side bucket in the second row can be flipped forward, making access to the third row pretty easy. There is a latch on the right side of the seat, unless they changed it from my 1996 Carvan with the 4 bucket seats.
  • remi11remi11 Posts: 4
    the same I have always looked for. First and foremost, something safe for snow being that I live up north. I do not believe that a 4X4 is completely safe. You need to drive slow in icy weather too with them, but they are safer than a car. Reliability and overall safety (airbags, etc) of course too. Right now I drive an suv, but not because of the stereotype "school mom". I bought it mainly for the snow because I am a freak in that weather. if suv's are ever banned, I will no doubt call in sick for work every day that it snows. Even if it means losing my job. My life is more important. child safety in a car is very important.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    You need to drive slow in icy weather too with them, but they are safer than a car.

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. The only thing 4x4 helps with getting started off the line in low traction situations. After that, they stop and steer just like any other vehicle on ice...that is to say, poorly (in fact, more poorly than a car, given the greater mass and higher center of gravity.) Now, if by "up north" you mean "in the mountains of Colorado," then a more dedicated off-road machine (read: truck-based SUV) would defintiely have an advantage over a car. If you mean something along the lines of "the suburbs of Minneapolis," I submit that a well-designed car is the superior (and safer) choice. There are plenty of cars available with all wheel drive, and with lower centers of gravity, better mileage, better impact protection, and better handling, they're easier to live with on a day-to-day basis.
    I've lived in snowy climates my whole life (Massachusetts, Colorado, South Dakota, New Hampshire, and Iowa, in that order) and have owned front drive, rear drive, and four wheel drive vehicles. I've never been stuck in any of them, ever, and found the 4x4 (a GMC pickup) to be the most difficult to deal with in everyday driving.
    For a family vehicle that I trust with my kids' safety, make mine a wagon. A V70R would do nicely. ;)
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    ***that I live up north. I do not believe that a 4X4 is completely safe. You need to drive slow in icy weather too with them, but they are safer than a car.***

SUVs offer a false sense of security. Because people think that they are safer, they drive the vehicle in icy and snowy conditions as if the roads were clear.

From my experience in the northern states, there are several critical factors in safe driving:

1) Tires and the other mechanical components in the vehicle must be properly maintained.

2) All drivers need to develop experience in snowy conditions. Mall parking lots at 3 am in the morning are great places to practice driving in snowy conditions.

3) Speeds need to be reduced. I am not saying that you should drive 15 in a 55 zone but they should be reduced for the weather conditions.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155

hope both you and he are aware that the right side bucket in the second row can be flipped forward, making access to the third row pretty easy. There is a latch on the right side of the seat, unless they changed it from my 1996 Carvan with the 4 bucket seats.

You can't get access to the third row seat any easier than this, with stow and go. It will still seat four in back very easily.

http://www.msnusers.com/Myminivan/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=12
  • gretchenkgretchenk Posts: 1
    I am having my first child and I am ordering a Volvo V50 and I wanted to know what people thought of the built in booster seats. For $300 it seemed like it would be nice to have the booster seats built in but I wasn't sure if people liked them. I have asked around a little from my friends who already have children and some have said they like to move the booster seats between cars and that I would have to buy an additional set for sending my kid in a carpool. I like that they car has two booster seats so if we are taking someone elses kid we would have a seat for them also. I also like the idea that when the kid isn't in the car we could put the booster seat down and the car would be clean and I could take coworkers to lunch. Any thoughts?