Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cars for Moms - comments, concerns and wants!

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,979
    Check out the Advice - Child Car Seats That Fit discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    Shame they might continue the Freestyle. I drove it earlier this year and loved it but for it's underpowered, noisy engine. If they gave it 250 horsepower and backed any of their products up with better quality, I'd have bought it.
    Chrysler, as you'll read on the forums, does not seem to have a great rep for quality or customer service. I would love, love , love to buy a Pacifica! Quiet, roomy and powerful and clean, simple interior. Drove one over a weekend as a rental and loved it, but Chrysler doesn't have a good rep. One guy on the Pacifica forum called his a "Pacificrap!" ; )
    So I'm looking at a Pilot or a Highlander and I have a feeling the Pilot is going to win out. NowI only have one kid, but a big dog, a hubby, lots of road trips in So Cal.
    If I had two kids, hands down I would be driving a Honda Oddessey -- drove one last year when the 2005 came out and loved it. But can't justify a mini with one kid but station wagon options are so limited. (I have a Saab wagon now, used to have a Merc Sable wagon.)
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I think you need to reevaluate the Chrysler/Dodge minivans. Their quality has gone way up in the last several years. There is very little complaints on the 2002-2006 models. Even the 2001 has been pretty good. With the stow-n-go seats or just having a bench seat and having those two large storage bins, make it a great family van. You can load them down with toys, diaper bag or what ever and still keep your van neat and clean. Plus it still carries the extended engine and power train warrantee. It's a perfect van for a family with kids.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Both the current Odyssey and Sienna earn Good ratings in the frontal offset and side impact tests from the IIHS. Both have standard side airbags for the 2006 model year.

The Chrysler vans score only an Acceptable in the frontal test and haven't yet been tested in the side.
  • Also consider resale/residual value. The Japanese cars are a more practical buy if you think you'll keep your car for a while. But if you want a Pacifica, don't let one dodo from Chrysler turn you off. The car is really pretty awesome in terms of its spaciousness and amenities. You'll outgrow it a lot less quickly than you would a Highlander, though the Pilot is somewhat more roomy.
  • If you've seen any of the Los Angeles or Detroit Auto Show coverage, you've seen a lot of interesting new cars that appeal to families. The new Dodge Durango, the first Audi SUV, new cars from Jeep, Lincoln, and more. CUV -- Crossover Utility Vehicle -- is the watchword this year. Anybody have opinions?
  • I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem .. I have a 2003 Mustang gt.. I cannot find a rear facing infant seat that will fit in the car allowing the driver and passenger to be in the car also.. If anyone has found a seat that fits please post it model # brand and all... The car has all the locking things for all different kinds of car seats. I have even called ford motor company.. We do have another car and suv but the mustang is more fun :( and gets great gas mileage!!
  • Mustangmommy,were you able to find anything? This raises concerns for me. My husband really has his heart set on getting a 2006 Mustang, but we are planning for a baby within the year and as much as I'd love a mustang, I want something more Mommy friendly. --darn nesting instincts!! Have you found it to be terribly impractical?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,979
    Get a minivan but get one of these for the kiddos (and let hubby wash and wax it weekly :D )

Ford Mustang Reaches Out to the Whole Family (Inside Line)

You may want to ask over in Advice - Child Car Seats That Fit too.

Steve, Host
  • I don't care what they say, the Mustang is not a family car. Let it be your husband's car if necessary, but you'll get pretty frustrated after a while if this is your main mode of family transport. Those back seats are mighty tight and it won't be easy to strap a baby into a car seat -- let alone a thrashing toddler. Let us know what you decide!
  • njmom91njmom91 Posts: 20
    I have been looking through the boards and at automakers websites, and I just can't seem to find anything that has the capacity for 7 - don't need it all the time so smaller rear/stow away seats are fine! - with THREE of those seats being in the middle (i.e. a bench with shoulder harnesses -a must!) that at least lists under 25K.

Am I being delusional to think that there is one or does such a beast just not exist?? :confuse:

The trend seems to be bucket/captains in the middle which does NOT work for me

Thank you, thank you, thank you for any help. This has really been driving me nuts!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Well, Ford Freestyle has an option for a second row 60-40 foldable bench seat, so it will seat 7. I do not know if the middle seat of this second row bench has a shoulder harness available.

Shoulder harness is not quite as critical in the middle row of any back seat as there is virtually nothing to hit your head on in the event of a front impact, which is where the shoulder harness has its most effect.

If kept to the base model, Freestyle can be bought for south of $25K with the rebates that are available.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I have a Freestyle SE that can be bought for under $25K easily with dealer incentives. The middle seat in the 2nd row does have shoulder harness. I have 25,000 miles on the car and so far zero problems.

Other options would probably be in the used car category...a used Sienna with 2nd row bench, Toyota Highlander, or Honda Pilot.
  • I have an ’04 Mustang and right after we bought our rear-facing infant seat and tried to install it I came to the realization that I was going to have to buy a new car until my dear hubby realized that the back seat of the mustang has 3 different ways to install the car seat with the LATCH system on either the passenger or driver side ( which is impossible due to the fact that you would have to have the seat up so far no one would be able to fit in it) or you can actually install it in the middle of the two seats, with the added advantage that the two front seats then nestle the car seat nicely and keep it snug. I may be a little harder to get the car seat in and out but beats me having to sell the car I love!
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 884
    I think the Buick Lucerne can fit 3 car seats in the back.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    "I have been looking through the boards and at automakers websites, and I just can't seem to find anything that has the capacity for 7 - don't need it all the time so smaller rear/stow away seats are fine! - with THREE of those seats being in the middle (i.e. a bench with shoulder harnesses -a must!) that at least lists under 25K."

Perhaps the most flexible option would be a Toyota Sienna CE 8-passenger model. Those start at about 25k list but are hard to find in many areas.

The 4x2 Highlander base model with the third row option is about 26k list, but it does have a 2-3-2 seating arrangement.
  • njmom91njmom91 Posts: 20
    Thanks everyone, I will look at the Ford. Someone also suggest the Toyota RAV4 with the optional third row, so that is now also on the radar.

I'll keep checking back, in case someone else has something to add!
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I do believe that would be possible, based on my observation. When I was considering one about 3 or 4 months ago, I needed atleast 2 car seats to fit plus diaper bag that was easily handy. We put it (diaper bag) in the middle of the seats. I do believe 3 car seats would be possible, but if I was a mom and had 3 kids, I'd want to own a SUV. ;)

Rocky
  • Warren Clarke just did a ranking of the Top 10 2006 Luxury Cars with the Lowest TCO. Of the ten vehicles, Volvo had a whopping four on the list. No other brand even had two! As a mom, I've always wanted Volvo...maybe now I can justify what seems like the "extra" expense for one.
  • temp409temp409 Posts: 55
    Stay away from Dodge caravan rear shoulder straps don't catch in crash my daughter was badly injured. Jerk front and rear shoulder straps in ANY dodge caravan or durango something is wrong. Jerk straps in ANY other minivan ALL will catch first jerk.