Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Buying for Women

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I can't comment on $480 for 30k maint.

I can. I'm looking at a Mazda Service Schedule for Oxmoor Mazda in Louisville. The recommended services at 30k miles comes to $529.99 WAAAAYY overpriced.
  • andeetandeet Posts: 142
    I just don't get it. My brother has Mitsubishi Lancer and he goes to the dealer for his oil changes. And he personally deals with the service writer. My brother told me some things that happened to him like service writer asks him "Since you're at 50k; you want to do the 50k maintenance?" Then my brother tells him back "No man; I'll come back for that. You know money is the issue." And the service writer doesn't put a gun to his head and tries to make him do it just like me and Carmax.

I know it's important to do it; its just they put me in that "Gun at my head and pull the trigger if you don't do it" position and I heard from different other Scion owners are stating their dealers are doing the same high pressure + crappy service; I heard so many stories like "My dealer put huge dent on the driver's side" and "Detailers scrubbed my car with rough brush and put circle scratches." Heck, some guy stated he paid $1,700 for cheap tires at his dealer and didn't say no like what I did.

This other dealer I'm talking about is a Milwaukee city limit Toyota dealer and one of their Scion Specialty sales consultants goes on a Scion forum site that I go on. She has read this situation (since I posted it on there) and she private messaged me stating I should go up there. Then explain what happened and tell service writer I want to be on track. They will charge me $180 for this 35k checkup and this dealer is ranked high for high quality service. She told me alot of their techs are very knowledgeable and trustworthy with costumers' cars.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    andeet, what ever you please make sure you do at least the basic maintanence. It sounds like you live on a fixed budget and could not stand a huge service bill. In todays automotive world lack of scheduled maintanence can void a factory warranty. If you go outside the dealer to do your maintanence or from one dealer to another make sure you keep good records ;)
    I REALLY would LOVE to get back on track! I like this car very much but these dumb bills are just stacking up and it seems like they won't get back down. This would never happened if I didn't sign an apartment lease last June. :mad: I shouldn't known to not sign that lease since I didn't have the money to do the car checkup in May. I currently work two jobs trying to make something happen but rent seems to always get in the way. :mad: Good news is; this morning I did pay my November's car payment so I'm head. Maybe I'll use November's amount to pay Carmax to do the dumb check up and request to deal with one of my two favorite service consultants (since this happened; when I had unexperienced service consultant and one had the day off & other went on break.) Let's hope Carmax of Keno hasn't read my complaining :blush: (Off with my head!!! LOL)

Man!! Can't wait to get this year over with!! Worst year of my 23 year old life! :mad:
  • The good news is that you are young, and you are learning these lessons young. The hard way, yes... but there are plenty of people who never learn them at all, or learn them when they've got bigger responsibilities, like children.

Congrats on getting ahead on the car payment!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Getting ahead on the payment is a very good start.

On the tire bit, try an independent tire shop or two. You could try checking out tirerack for what might be the best bet for your car and budget. They have a great tire selection program that's useful even if you don't buy from them.

Do make sure you get the right answer on the condition of your tires. They are the only connection between you and the road. Nearly everyone underestimates the importance of good tires.
    My brother in law knows people who work at a private owned tire shop in Illinois. So he got me estimate on tires (All seasons.) Three Hankooks for 260-280 including labor; so I may take that offer. Then go to Carmax for my next oil change and get the 30k check up; bring my records with me just in case. I love dealing with their service consultants; they are very helpful & understand women except for that one.

Do you guys think there will be problem requesting one of my personal favorite consultants? I know their names and my tC's sales consultant gave me their ext. numbers.
    No problem at all. Asking for a Service Writer when you come in is no different then asking for a Salesperson.
    You work at a Carmax; do you? Just like anyone else who lecturing me. lol
    Nope, no Carmax employee here. I don't believe I could keep a straight face telling people those prices are non-negotiable.
    I saw you few times posting about Carmax on "Carmax: What is your personal experience." And I automatically thought you work at one. Sorry
  • A reporter seeks to talk with an African-American woman who owns and loves a 2007 or 2008 model year vehicle. Please send your city and state of residence and make and model of your vehicle to jfallonedmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 27, 2007.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am just starting my adventure in buying a new car. Usually in the past I have bought older ones in private sales, however, I have just gotten a small insurance settlement and have decided to splurge on a new vehicle.
    I am, a 60 year old woman, and it is interesting to see how I am treated in various dealerships. I want to post some of my experiences.

I went to a large Mazda dealership. I have owned Mazdas in the past and liked them,and was near the dealership on some other business, so I figured it was a good place to start.

The salesman who came up to me (it seemed they had to FORCE someone to come and help me) seemed like he would rather be anywhere else. He was indifferent to the point of being rude. He was hesitant to even let me sit in the driver's seat and totally refused a test drive. When I was looking at a vehicle, he pulled out a cigarette and started smoking.

I was decently dressed (nice slacks and a sweater), my hair amf makeup looked good, and I had the money to buy. Needless to say, I walked away VERY QUICKLY. As I did, I told him, "It is obvious you do not want to sell me a car today. Good bye."

This week I am off to Honda. Will post more in my adventures later.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,007
    That's just sad in this day and age.

In my business I sell mainly to women. While women seem to take longer to make a decision than men they also become loyal customers who make repeat purchases. Men tend to shop like they are being pursued by the police (give it to me quick, here's the money,I'm gone).

Perhaps this salesman didn't want to take the time to make you a loyal customer.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• greanpea68greanpea68 Posts: 1,996
    The salesman who came up to me (it seemed they had to FORCE someone to come and help me) seemed like he would rather be anywhere else. He was indifferent to the point of being rude. He was hesitant to even let me sit in the driver's seat and totally refused a test drive. When I was looking at a vehicle, he pulled out a cigarette and started smoking.

I wouldn't expect you to do business at that dealer. Keep shopping they are not all like that. it is a shame you got treated like that.
  • Car buying, car reading, and car information is completely and totally not in any way easy for women. Some forums (most) are so pigheaded it's ridiculous. Last couple of times I went to go get a car, if I went to the lot by myself. No one came and talked to me. No one. I remember one time I was ready to plunk down money to purchase a car, but no one came and offered me any assistance. So I walked up to the window, tapped on it (as they were behind it watching me), said, "I was going to buy that car right there (pointed to a cavalier) but you know...apparently you guys don't want my money. So...bye!" I waved and left. Screw them, they don't want to talk to me they don't get my money.

At that point I didn't know much about cars...obvious as I was going to buy a Cavalier I know :P ...but as my love of cars has grown it's been one heck of a time trying to find and join good forums and such that aren't

a) full of guys who hate the idea of a chick in their territory
    b) doesn't have naked women sprawled everywhere on top of every car
    c) don't mind talking to you like you're an intelligent human being instead of just saying "buy a minivan, get in the kitchen and gimme pics"

Almost makes one really want to quit being an enthusiast....but I tell you...I cant :shades:
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,007
    "...it's been one heck of a time trying to find and join good forums..."

I assume you are talking about non-Edmunds forums. I've been reading these forums for a little over a year now and I haven't seen any chick-haters or naked pics yet. And believe me, I've asked some VERY basic questions. I'm not a car nut and I don't pretend to know about detailed mechanical differences. Sometimes I'm sure I appear like a dope to some of the pros but they have always been friendly and helpful.

I have looked at some of the forums on other sites and found them to be just as you describe. That would not be tolerated by our hosts.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

I'm officially back on track for maintenance. Got new tires, switch to synthetic oil (about three oil changes ago), 60k maintenance, new front brake pads and rotors.

All cost me 1,500's and my dealer did all my work except for new tires. They gave me one of their other Toyota techs and I was assigned to different service consultant (one of the two I was hoping for.) No pressure and paid less than what I was planning. To top it off; they still washed my car even if we were getting snow storm at the time and they also cranked up the heat so when I got into my car; I was going into warm car.

For some odd reason, I smell the "new car smell" and I haven't smelled this quite new since the day I bought my car. They didn't change my cabin air filter :confuse:
    Well come on, the suspense is killing me.
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Posts: 1,996
    Last couple of times I went to go get a car, if I went to the lot by myself. No one came and talked to me. No one. I remember one time I was ready to plunk down money to purchase a car,

It is fact I believe from NADA that woman make 90% of the house hold decisions. i would rather talk to a woman any day of the week over male prospect. Plus the woman are better to look at ;) and spend time with.

Also woman in my experience are not afraid to pay profit. Doesn't mean they want to be taken advantage of but if treated right they will pay profit. :)

GP