Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any downside to buying a hybrid?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,991
    The thread on the Ford hybrid Escape is under the directory of "hybrid vehicles". I don't think it shows up under the "hybrid" heading. It is a very active thread as you will see. Here is the first of 1213 postings. As you already know the thread ends up in whatever directory you start it in. If you ask the host or hostess very nicely they will add it to others for you. Hope this helps.

jefyou, "Ford Escape Hybrid" #1, 28 Aug 2002 10:11 pm
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    There is a choice to create any thread you like. You can create anything to your heart's content within reason. The EPA classifies the Prius as a mid size car. I actually WISH they classified it as a compact. In the mall I go to they have parking spots for COMPACTS only. In Europe it's actually classified as a LARGE car. I don't care HOW they classify it. That sucker got some serious leg room.

GO HYBRID!!

TEN WEEKS TO GO!!

YEAH BABY!!!!
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Heyjewlel, the Prius *IS INDEED* classified as a midsize car by almost everyone. Some publications and other places have it as a Compact, which is incorrect.

The "Midsize" classification is based on interior room.

From this story:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/columnists/chambers_williams/12358958.htm

"And increasing the interior space to make the Prius midsize has worked as Toyota planned to bring it to the attention of mainstream car buyers, rather than continuing as just a darling of “green” conscious consumers."

And from this story:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/intellichoice/sedans/369_0508_review_2005_toyota_priu- - s/

"Toyota raised the bar, creating a midsize car with fuel efficiency greater than that of most compacts. In addition to enabling the Prius' extreme performance and cargo-toting ability, the distinctive styling made an instant political statement.
    "

And From Motor Trend's Car Of The Year story:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/112_031120_coy/

"After weeks of exhaustive testing, Motor Trend editors found the Toyota Prius to be a user-friendly gas/electric hybrid capable of delivering an impressive 60 miles per gallon in city driving. It is the first of such vehicles to move into the automotive mainstream, with performance, style and quality. Spacious enough to be classified as a midsize sedan, the Prius' futuristic bodywork, innovative Hybrid Synergy Drive, pleasing interior and five-door hatchback design, clearly placed it above the competition."

Look it up.
  • Whatever your profile says...The fact is your comment about no trunk space is simply WRONG....

You can talk about your profile, I am talking about the actual comment you made.
  • Good point...If we All drove Land Crusers...At any point in time at least 1/2 of them would be sitting in the shop...That has to be good for both fuel consumption and at least somewhat green.
  • Zodiak:

He doesn't know much about Prius...Did you see his trunk space comment...It is obvious he has never been up close to a Prius.
  • Jewel

"Real World Trade in Value....That explains Terry's lack of knowledge of the 04/05 Prius....they haven't been around long enough to have been traded in, at least not in any numbers that a "TRADE IN GUY" would know much about them....

Consumer Reports...Apr. 05...Toyota's Second-generation Prius is unbeatable for its economy, acceleration and interior room..

P.S. it is a mid sized car.
    More evidence

http://tinyurl.com/8mkwf

Hopefully this is the last we have to post to prove that it is classified as a midsize.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Well, a brief lookthru the Prius Problems and Solutions topic presents quite a number of downsides it seems to me, to wit:

Dying on the road, paint coming off, will not track straight, brakes shake like crazy, poor gas mileage, won't start, $15000 repair bills, 2 weeks at dealer, shuddering, surging, BURSTING INTO FLAMES!!!!

To name just a few.
    Prius has 94% satisfaction rating from CR. I would tend to think less highly of your Lincoln which is plagued with tons more issues. Talk about crap!!! GEEEEZ.....
    "I would tend to think less highly of your Lincoln which is plagued with tons more issues. Talk about crap!!! GEEEEZ....."

Really? Can u find a post about a Lincoln bursting into flames? One with a $15,000 repair bill?

Look, it ain't crap - the posts are right there on the board. The topic is about downsides, right? So here are some. The world knows about the Prius dying issue. There seem to be a lot of folks complaining about gas mileage not being as advertised, many about sudden surging. There was one about an early steering rack failure and another about brakes failing causing $3600 damage.

There seems to be a cadre of Toyota supporters who think this company can do no wrong. That buying a hybrid will save not only your wallet, but the planet as well. I'm merely pointing out that Toyotas fail too. Sometimes in quite spectacular ways it would seem.
    Ahh...so you believe everything you read on the net. How can someone have a 15k repair bill for a car that hasn't even been out for 2 yrs? Please give us a link to the car that burst into flames. Are you just having buyer's remorse for spending too much money for a glorified pickup truck?
  • yesrohyesroh Posts: 290
    I believe he compared the Prius to the Chevy Malibu. The Malibu has 15.4 cubic feet of trunk space and the Prius has 16.1
    Sure, here are the links:

Message #2 and message #263 in the forum titled:

"Toyota Prius Owners: Problems & Solutions"

Enjoy
    Hey ..no fair... you didn't tell us where the explosive Prius post was!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I still don't think I'd buy a hybrid. The cost is just too high for the amount of gas you might save if you get the EPA mileage they are rated at. The Prius is probably the only hybrid I'd consider and only if I can get past the Toyota dealer gouging. I will not pay 25-26K for a car with an MSRP of less than 22K.
    The only other hybrids I know of...the Civic Hybrid and the Accord Hybrid are regular cars made into hybrids. The problem is trunk space. They use a lot of it for the battery packs and I need room to fit a racing bicycle in the trunk. If they could find a better place to put their battery packs I might consider the Civic. The Accord is just too expensive although the left over trunk space is tight but acceptable. It saves a lot of gas over the regular Accord V6 and is the most powerful Honda car available. But it's 30K! The problem is, if I can afford to buy a car for 30K then paying for gas is probably not a problem either. I remember when the cars with the best fuel economy were also the cheapest. I sometimes think this hybrid thing is a marketing ploy to get people to pay a lot of money for a car that gets marginally better economy than your average economy car. As I mentioned before, Honda's Civic VX had a 92 horsepower engine that gave 48 hwy/55 city in an engine with a large displacement than the one currently used on the new Civic Hybrid. I think if Honda worked with that engine to boost power a little and improve economy (the VX is a 1991 design), they could get rid of the heavy battery pack and have a car with economy nearly as good or better than their hybrid and at a much lower cost.
    Some of the fuel economy figures I'm seeing here are worse or not much better than what I used to get in my old 4-door Civic which had an engine that wasn't as efficient as the VX. And my old Civic was only $12000 in 1992.
    I'm glad you find yourself so humorous.

I pointed to 2 posts, 1 about a Prius with a repair bill of $15,000, the other a Prius which burst into flames and was totalled. If u want to stay in denial and laugh like a hyena, that's your business.

Reading further about the Prius, I see you've been waiting for yours since May or June. Ooooh what a feeling, eh?
    I also think that, because mass-produced hybrids are still fairly new, most people would be more reluctant to buy a hybrid than a regular car.
    Even Toyota makes a lemon now and then.
    I had a friend who had a Civic with 4000 miles on it and one day every weld in the entire car failed at the same time. He found himself riding the front wheel like a unicycle at 45 miles an hour, holding the steering wheel and rolling down a hill into an intersection. Luck was on his side that day.
    I'm waiting for that nice big juicy tax credit. Are you still having regret for buying the Navi gas guzzler. Thank goodness it doesn't share the attributes of the Crown Vic. Ya know... BURSTING into flames from the rear. I'm still waiting for the post on the explosive Prius. You did not post it. Are you going to admit that the Prius is a mid size? You seem to know a lot about the Prius! I'm quite impressed. LOL!!!!! :P :P :P :P
    Did you read the post? Toyota picked up the bill!!! Oh what a feeling baby!!! I'd like to see Ford pick up the bill when the tranny in your behemoth goes at 76k. HAHAHAHAHAHA I am truly cracking up here!!!!!
  • Thanks for the numbers but it does not take into concideration that the Prius is a Hatchback with folding back seats and has a ton more cargo space then 16.1 Cu. ft. if needed.
  • There is a new bigger civic hybrid out....Take a look it might be just what you are looking for...

your bike will fit in the Prius.
  • The Message in post #2 was about a 01 Prius ...N0T the new one...

It was a $15,000 tab with the car out of warrenty and Toyota picked up the full bill.

The fire thing was from a Poster who to my knowledge only posted twice and it was the exact same message both times??....He did say he liked the car

There is little doubt it is fully covered under warrenty unless the fire was arson but we have no way of knowing....the car was sitting in a parking lot at the time it caught fire.
    "The Message in post #2 was about a 01 Prius ...N0T the new one...

It was a $15,000 tab with the car out of warrenty and Toyota picked up the full bill."

The fact that it was a 3 or 4 year old Prius makes it a moot point in your mind? Here's a car that, within 4 years of brand new, developed operational problems so severe that the repair bill was darn close to the retail price of the car when new. Toyota had no choice but to pick up the bill, you know that. PR and the Pusher Man, that's what it is. What will happen when tens or hundreds of thousands of 4 or 5 yr old Prius are out there and some develop $20000 repair bills? When does Toyota stop pickin up the tab? With your Prius?

"The fire thing was from a Poster who to my knowledge only posted twice and it was the exact same message both times??....He did say he liked the car "

So your point is ... ? His car burnt up. I would bet that he didn't replace a car that spontaneously combusted on him with another Prius. So little reason to come back and post more. You're obviously saying maybe he's a shill or something? Can't argue with that.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Terry makes good copy for the uninformed and does offer sound advice on trades.

But in certain areas even he will have to defer to a vehicle owner over just a seller/dealer. The owner lives with the vehicle everyday. Terry owns dealerships, OK he's a good businessman. But I'm certain that I know more than he does about the Prius specifically since I have the opportunity to study them constantly. As a manager/owner he's got a lot more things on his mind than the details of a Prius. ( BTW you didnt mention whether you had a Toyota store in your group of 7.)

The vehicle owners know them more intimately than I do since they live with them every day I will defer to them.

Terry knows things we dont because he as an owner has a wider perspective in his business however owners/top managers rarely get into these details. His original comment way, way back that Prius only got 'in the tall 30's around town and that cold northern weather and AC in the Deep south killed the mileages is vaguely true. These certainly have an effect but comments like this lead me to believe that his knowledge is picked up from these forums and articles. In his style the comments are too off the cuff.

And unless he lived in Japan in the late 90's I was in the Prius before he was.

Sorry Terry, this might not be your area of expertise.

kdhspyder
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Easy solution..deal with someone who doesnt charge above MSRP. BTW in what area do you live?
    I would venture to guess that the navigator has had ten times as many issues as a Prius. In the long run the Prius will outlive the navigator as evidenced by the folks that have had so many issues with it.
    No...forgot to mention, I'm a Civic nut. Actually the new Civics are slightly smaller inside. I think the new one has 10.6 cubic feet. I might be able to fit a bicycle in a trunk that small although I don't think I've ever tried. I'd have to see the test results on it. The Prius was a lot faster before the change and still has a lot more interior room, a larger trunk (16.1 ft trunk vs 10.6) and got a lot better mileage (55.5 mpg avg vs 50 on the newly redone Civic).
    I don't see why I'd want to buy a Civic for almost the same price as a Prius when the Prius has so much more to offer. Consumer Reports also rated its ride as good or better than the other three mid size cars it was compared to.
    I believe Edmunds rated the Prius as the most reliable mid-size car. Or maybe it was the Kelley site. It's performance isn't too shabby either.
This discussion has been closed.