Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    I recently asked the guys in our shop how many battery packs they have replaced in hybrids. The answer - ZERO!

We have Insights coming in with over 100,000 miles without replacing any batteries.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    David,

A quick search on a VERY popular "cars for sale" website shows this:

Total of 45 Honda Civic Hybrids with more than 50,000 miles and less than 80,000 miles for sale nationwide on that site.

Asking Prices are from $12,989 to $18,999. Many are "Honda Certified."

I think that speaks well of the longevity.

The battery worry issue is overdone. Toyota just recently surpassed 340,000 Prius cars sold worldwide and up until a few months ago had NEVER replaced a battery. The total battery failure information is almost impossible to find, but we can be sure it is VERY VERY LOW. (in fact I just found a page which says as of September 2004 Toyota had ZERO battery failures reported, and the 1997 Japanese Prius went on sale in late 1996.)
  • My hyrid is at 53K mile now and I have noticed the lurching when accelerating from stop. The dealer told me it was the start up clutch in the transmission that is failing. I was quoted $1600 to fix the problem. The service dept told me its not covered under warranty.

Did anyone in the forum get a similar diagnosis from the service dept? Isnt this covered under warranty?
  • hysandhysand Posts: 3
    I also posted last week about the "lurching" problem when accelerating from a stop. I have the '03 Civic Hybrid automatic CVT and I am currently at 52K miles. I took a while, but they finally pulled the transmission code from the computer and it stated that my ERG valve was not working properly. Thankfully, this is covered under the emissions warranty, so I will only have to pay $75 for the labor. I hope this solves my problem for good. I would make sure you are at a Honda-specific shop and I would ask them to run the diagnostic codes while they have Honda techs on the phone. My service guy said that most places haven't been trained on this particular transmission yet, b/c they haven't had anything go wrong with them yet. I was the first case at my shop. If they can't at least run the codes for you, then I would find a different shop. Hope this helps!
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    " Thankfully, this is covered under the emissions warranty, so I will only have to pay $75 for the labor"

Huh? If an item is covered by warranty, it should include parts and labor...
  • Thank you for the information. I intend to take that to the dealer next week and will report back in case anyone else still has this problem. Much appreciated!
  • hysandhysand Posts: 3
    From what I can tell (from the owner's manual and talking to service dept), the ERG valve is no longer covered after the 3yr/36,000 period. However, my guess is that Honda has issued a technical service bulletin about this problem and they are helping with costs. I'm not sure that there is a TSB out on this particular subject, although I did find a tsb issued in Jan '05. You have to pay to find out what the TSB is about, and that's not an add'l cost I'm willing to pay, if it's not about my particular issue. I hope that clarifies the 'warranty' issue, and thanks for asking b/c I was able to learn about TSBs in the process of my research. :-)
  • igandalf2igandalf2 Posts: 5
    I have an '04 CivicHybrid (55k) with the exact opposite issue. I get lurching, or stuttering when accelerating in high gear, at higher speeds. If I ease of the peddle it stops. It's very noticable, and can see the changes in RPMs on the tach. I've tried to re-create it for the Dealer, but I can't go fast enough long enough, since they're not near an Interstate. They had me disconnect the EGR valve to see if this would cause it to stop, but this made no difference. I've had this for about 15k so far.
  • igandalf2igandalf2 Posts: 5
    Also, my mpg's have fallen from 45 to 43.5. Not a lot, but clearly is not running as efficiently.
  • kstrandkstrand Posts: 3
    Interesting. I have the same problem, but at only 20,000 miles on the same model. Originally I and the shop thought it was the result of a tank of the bad ConocoPhilips gas that circulated on the west coast about a month ago. After the "three stage program": cleaning the injectors, cleaning injectors and flushing the fuel lines, and finally replacing the injectors, the problem persists. They even thought that it might be a problem with the CV transmission and flushed it three times and replaced it with fresh fluid. Yet the problem persists. It occurs as others have described it, at low speed and RPM (about 5-10MPH and 1500-1700RPM) with slight throttle pressure and is a "lurching" sensation. By shifting to "2" and increasing RPM it goes away, or by simply accelerating it also goes away. Also notice that when the engine is not warm the problem is not there. The dealership is as frustrated as I am, and will be more so when I take it in again. Are any of you common sufferers located on the west coast and by chance pumped in a tank or two of ConocoPhilips gas (also sold at 76 stations)?
  • kstrandkstrand Posts: 3
    Our 03 was the same. At around 2000 miles you should see improvement, perhaps due to engine breakin (and/or better driving habits). I should point out that at 20,000 miles I can get around 55 MPG (at 65-70 MPH) on the flatter highway trips, however when my daughter drives around town it seems to average about 38 MPG, so terrain and "heavy foot syndrome" all contribute to the overall fuel economy.
  • hipfliphipflip Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 civiv hybrid with mostly hwy miles- and I'm at 105 miles on the car. I complained of the "lurching" prob coming from a stop and have now been told I need a new transmission. The problem: the cost of the transmission 6,000.00- yup 6 grand for the part alone and another grand- yup- one thousdand dollars for labor. Is this right or am I getting ripped off?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,690
    Welcome to the forum. $7000 is a big hit on a vehicle that is not worth much more than that in trade. I am assuming you have 105,000 miles on this car. Until hybrids become more popular the dealers will have you by the throat after the warranty is up. If you are in CA you may be able to get the State Attorney General to look at the case from an emissions standpoint. I doubt you have much recourse other than bite the bullet and take a big loss. You are not alone getting big bills to repair out of warranty hybrids. Take it to another Honda dealer and try to get a quick trade.
  • You should have your service tech check the EGR valve. Many of us who have had "Bucking Civic Hybrids" have had it replaced and it stopped the bucking at low speed acceleration. I had it done on my 03 hybrid and it cured the problem. I would have thought they would have this in a technical bulletin by now
  • sachybridsachybrid Posts: 1
    As I was driving down the highway this weekend, I apparently ran over something with my rear tire and not only blew out my tire, but punctured the alloy rim. The dealership told me that a new rim would cost about $400. I have looked all over the net for Civic Hybrid rims, but have found nothing. Does anyone know where I can find a Civic Hybrid rim for less than $400? I'm looking for a legitimate dealer, not 'my cousin Fred knows some guy...'. Thanks for your help!
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,690
    Your comprehensive insurance should cover that. Depending on your deductible. I know my deductible is $120. That is better than $400 plus the tire.
  • dons2dons2 Posts: 1
    MY SON GAVE ME A CALL ABOUT HIS 2000 HONDA CIVIC THAT DIED ON HIM WHILE GOING DOWN THE INTERSTATE. HE FOUND THAT THE 40 AMP IGNITION FUSE WAS BLOWN. HE REPLACED IT TWICE AND BLEW TWO MORE FUSES BLEW BEFORE HE COULD GET THE KEY TO THE START POSITION. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN. IF YOU COULD HELP I WOULD SURE BE THANKFUL.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• My 2001 Honda Civic is having a problem with the A/C. It seems to run fine at times (compressor cycling and cold air blowing), but at other times the A/C compressor clutch does not engage at all. I originally thought it was low on R134A and that the low pressure switch was preventing compressor engagement. However, I bought a recharge kit with a pressure gauge and the gauge states that the charge is fine.

Has anyone else had this sporadic problem?
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Greenhonda, please see this link for where to look for your answer: :D

pf_flyer, "Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions" #166, 28 Jun 2005 7:08 am
This discussion has been closed.