Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Supra

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    No no, dear boy, that would be for a plus-rated engine and a real performance package on top of a mid-level IS coupe! That would make it something like the later, lustable Supras.

I don't think the IS line will top out at at $30K territory by any stretch. That'll be just the OPP, I'm betting...
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    ah, now you have my wishful thinking imagining an IS430 coupe, with all the suspension and tire trimmings. That would easily be worth $40K and more. :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Yeah, kinda tasty, ain't it. :-)

Won't happen though; at least not with the eight. Can't have a two-door at $40K+ that would put to shame the ultra-blah SC at $65K!

I could see it with a six and a breather (down the road), perhaps. Still pretty tasty I think.
  • Hmm... I like. I really want a supercharged SC.... oh well. I just really like the Supra a bunch.
  • I totally agree with the idea of making a new Supra with an even bigger faster engine, I mean whats their racing car now...The Celica? I wish they would have dropped it instead. It looks just like everything else now, they should have changed the Celica its boring now. The Supra was different much different and it had evolved so much. I am also curious to see what it will look like they should defiantly keep the tail and head lights from around 93 until they discontinued though. Thats a big part of what sets the Supra apart from everything else!
    "Can't have a two-door at $40K+ that would put to shame the ultra-blah SC at $65K!"

Not sure I totally agree here. Sell the IS430 coupe without the option of a targe roof or a convertible or anything like that, and what it will be is a pure-focus sports car. The SC, OTOH, is a style cruiser. It makes a statement, which is "I am an older, affluent person who loves to cruise around town in style, and catch some rays". The SC is NOT a sporting car, despite being fast in straight-line acceleration. It is mostly a statement car, a prestige-mobile, and a very comfy one at that.

• if they took the same 280hp motor out of the avalon (packing dual vvt-i, with dohc/4 valves per cylinder---(24v) trimmed it out on a light weight chasse with a more "aerodynamic" design, they would have a player. the weak "z" car and the maxima cannot even compare with toyota ingenuity and design.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    The Supra was (IMO) a very good car, and I think that Toyota can easily outclass 350Z, RX8, Crossfire, and even regular Corvette with this new thing. Hooray for halo cars.
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Celica is now discontinued...
  • 84supra84supra Posts: 1
    I'm building a 85 toyota supra and i am trying to find out if the 86-91 7MGTE 3.0 motor will fit where the smaller 5MGE 2.8 they are both inline 6 i need to know if the 3.0 will bolt right up
    I kinda doubt it - the 86 1/2 had a much longer hood line than the 85.

I thought this was the 2007 Supra thread?

• ryousukeryousuke Posts: 12
    i agree... the main enemy of the supra performance wise was its heavy weight. If they put a bigger engine in, it would make weight a bigger handicap. The biggest engine they can fit without gaining weight is the 3UZ-FE V-8(the engine in the GS,LS,SC) which they do for the Japanese GT Championship. This is why I dont think they will have a motor larger than a V-8....It would be logical to use either the avalon motor (if they put in duall vvtL-i it owuld be sweeter), and maybe even bolt a turbo on it, or they could make a new engine that is a new version of the one in the old supra, the 2JZ-G(T)E. maybe they make a 3JZ-G(T)E... if toyota got really lazy i guess they could pull out a 3UZ-FE and stick it in the new supra now if you're wondering about all this engine designation gibberish, the stuff before the - is just a name for the engine, while the last three indicate: G-engine built for performance
    F-engine built for fuel economy
    T-turbo (or twin turbo)
    E-EFI
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    I agree the "affordable sports car" market isn't that hot. Yes, they have lots of power and can go 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds. But they are highly impractical for daily driving which means anybody who buys the Z or the Vette probably has another car that serves his day to day needs. Having said that, I think if Toyota can price and market the car right they have a good shot of capturing a significant portion of the sports car pie. I personally think the engine choices most likely to be in the production version would be the current 3.5 L engine in the Avalon although I am sure it would be modified to produce at least another 20 to 30 Hp. The optional engine would most likely be the 4.3 L v8 found in the Lexus LS and GS. That engine could easily produce another 100 or so horsepower. Now if they can price the V6 in the high 20s to low 30s and the V8 in the low to mid 40s I think this car could be a great success.
  • ryousukeryousuke Posts: 12
    yea... that pricing would be fine the V8 should be in the mid 30s (hard since im workign with canada-US dollar conversion; i just wish u'd use our dollar :p. high pricing is what killed the last supra's sales
  • If lexus does unveil a lexus GS hybrid v8 at the New York Auto Show, why not put it in the future supra? just tune it for a bit more power maybe then seems like itd be all set. just got to see when they plan to sell the GS450 hybrid
    the GS is a much bigger car than one would hope the Supra would be. The RX400H uses 240 NiMH batteries - they take up a lot of space. The 400+ hp hybrid powertrain they will use for the GS450H and the new hybrid LS will presumably need even more. Where would all those batteries go in the Supra?

besides, I think the world in general forgives real sports cars their fuel consumption. If you've got the money to buy one, you've got the money for the gas.

• Do you guys know that in the 1990's that a Supra was nearly $48,000? Imagine how much it would be now?
  • karl3karl3 Posts: 2
    if they could bring back the supra, stick in a turbocharged or supercharged V-6 or V-8 and price it in the mid to high 30s it would sell like nothing else the car market has ever seen. With these tuner kids puting $100K into celicas why not get something that has some GO to go with all that SHOW. I am positive that Toyota will replace the celica with something, maybe something in the same ballpark as the supra, but nothing that could compete with it performace wise. the ' 07 "super supra" is never going into production like it is now. it will probably have a 200hp naturally aspirated V-6 and will be just another bland touring car.
    the last year they sold the Supra in the U.S., the list price for the base model with the NA motor was about $33K.

Even the twin turbo was only $42K, or something like that.

Now in 1995 the twin turbo reached $50K sticker, and Toyota realized it had gone too far. It promptly gave all the existing owners the shaft (bye bye resale value!) by lowering the price $10K for the following model year.

They could easily do a car that would outrun everything but the Corvette for less than $40K, using many existing components of the new Lexus cars. Which is not to say that they will do so.

• lemonedlemoned Posts: 1
    Hi, I know this isnt about the car you guys are talking about, but...
    Does anyone know how much HP a stock 87 MKIII non-turbo Supra has?
    Also, how much does a twin-turbo 95 MKIIII Supra engine have? I plan on swaping one into my 87 Supra sometime... and knowing the numbers helps :)
    Thanks.

:lemon: ed
This discussion has been closed.