Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Supra

Comments

• Options
    dokilat1dokilat1 Member Posts: 22
    When I said LF-A engine with half the price, I didn't mean half the price for sure. When it comes to speculations, I am very conservative. I won't tell you 'you are wrong', cause you maybe right.

When the '93.5 MKIV came out, it was more powerful than the Corvette. After 14 or 15 years, why would Toyota bring it back with 5 more HP, while Corvette has 505 HP. If they were worried about pricing, then they shouldn't bring it back.

I wouldn't buy any of those. Like I said, I'm expecting over 500 HP.

Check this video out. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105484

Tell me what the hell is the MKIV doing at the end of the video.
  • Options
    objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    why do I even bother?

Look, eveyone i'm sure welcomes your speculation, and I myself would go on a waiting list tommorow if the Supra came out with a 500hp V10, and an MSRP of $40,000. I'd also invest in GM stock if it were to make more profit this year than toyota.

Toyota has to worry about the price. That is the whole idea. People are not going to buy a $50,000 toyota car (at least in the US), and Toyota wont keep a car that doesnt sell. Thats why the MKIV was available in the rest of the world up to around 2002, but not in th US. Besides that, last I checked, the 'regular' corvette was always around $10k more than the supra, not to mention the Z06 models (that currently has 505hp).

They have the Lexus brand and its models to consider, and they are not going to compete between its own brands. If you want 400-500+hp, expect to fork over the $50k for the rumored IS500 coupe/cabriolet, $60k+ for the SC460 (or more for a hypothetical SC500 or V10 version) or the $100k+ for the LF-A.

I'd be quite happy with a $30K 300hp V6 Toyota that I can modify (or not) and have fun with, and I think most current supra owners as well as potential buyers would feel the same. Carry up the price and you'd have a whole other ball game with a new set of players.
    Dont get me wrong, I'd buy any of the lexus models mentioned, but I dont think i'd have the same kind of guitless fun in a Lexus that i'd have in a toyota. Call it a perception thing if you will, but honestly, in your opinion, who do you think is the bigger @$$hole? the guy who crashes an a Carerra GT, or the one who bangs up a porsche boxter?
  • Options
    foosballsfoosballs Member Posts: 2
    im curious to know why doesnt anyone realize that the LF-A was being tested against the supra. please view http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105484 if you havent and pay attention the left side of the screen at 1:13-1:15, OH EM GEEZIEZ IS THAT A WHITE SUPRA TT I SEE AS CLEARLY VISIBLE BY THE UNIQUE SUPRA SPOILER ON TT SUPRAS??!! AREN'T THOSE THE TAILLIGHTS THAT ARE DISTINCTIVELY STYLED ON ALL SUPRAS?! OH MY GOSH! IS THAT THE UNIQUE GRAFITTI STYLED "SUPRAturbo" MARKING UNDER THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SPOILER?!! i believe so. :mad: the LF-A is the supra, otherwise they wouldnt test it against an MKIV sorry to burst everyone's bubbles. remember this video is supplied by edmunds.com and i didnt alter it anyway >., then i think thats out of my price range (way out.)
  • Options
    I agree. If you go back to message #143, I already mentioned that. I was also trying to make the same point when I posted that same link from edmunds.com (message #154).
  • Options
    These were your statement and question: "Further more, if you use the old SAE standards (which the MKIV TT Supra was measured by) you would see the 2GR-FSE makes 315-325 hp. That'd do it for me, how about you?"

My answer: "I would look and admire it, but I wouldn't buy it."

You answer back "I'm sure Toyota is greiving about that fact that you wouldnt buy the MKV if it came out with more hp than anything in its supposed target market as well as more than the last gen NA and TT supra(320hp), I sure am.......how dare you?!?!"

I should be the one saying this: "Why do I even bother?
  • Options
    foosballsfoosballs Member Posts: 2
    the supra and skyline have been going head to head since they both occupied the market. they are both japanese automotive legends worldwide and since nissan/infiniti (whatever...) gt-r is coming out with the supercar status, i believe toyota would also bring out a brand new "supra" to compete, not only with the gt-r but the rumored nsx too. in business, i don't think its necessarily to build a car that everyone will desire and buy, but to rather just to compete against the other company to slow down their profits by having some consumers buy (even in low quantities) into their market, rather than solely into the other company, such as into nissan's new gt-r thats coming out. ITS COMPETITION BABY. :sick:
  • Options
    Good point. I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    i'll be looking for a new car around that time and let me just point out that i doubt toyota would make a sports car over 30g that's just way too much, the 350z will get the sales then. please make a base version that will cost as much as a mustang please!!!
  • Options
    *****sigh********

Seems like you quote me when it's convenient, sorry for misunderstanding. Sorry that you cant understand either, that I was being sarcastic in a way that was meant to be humorous.

This time around, the Supra and the GT-R wont be competeing. As a matter of fact, the Supra's competition from Nissan was always in fact, their Z cars. Consider the Supra just being 'that good' to be able to compete with the GT-R which was built for Nissan to win competition races, nothing else. Their arent any cars that are quite like the GT-R, but it was likened to many.

Ohh, and I forgot to mention, the Supra you saw in the video would be the chase car (likely a modified supra). I dont know if maybe toyota has any other sports cars that can compare favourably to a 500hp V10 sports car...know of any?
  • Options
    The Supra's competition from Nissan was always in fact, their Z cars? First of all, the word always is hard to use correctly. Second of all, what happened in the past doesn't guarantee what's going to happen in the future.

Does Toyota have any other sports cars that can compare 'favourably' to a 500hp sports car? Are you british, man?

What do you mean any other sports cars? They don't have one yet. I don't know if you've noticed, I never said V10. Toyota is so ahead of everybody else, I don't have any idea how they're going to do it.

And please, stop lecturing me and the people on this forum about Lexus and the Soarer. You think we're stupid and you're the only one that knows all the stuff.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, folks, let's stop will ALL of the personally-directed comments, or posts will be removed without notice. We're talking about the Supra here, and not about what another member does/doesn't know. Let the hosts do the hosting, and just stick to talking about the vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Ok, I'm finished with this argument after this post.

Let me put it this way, The 240Z was designed to compete with the 2000gt, and the two have pretty much been the rival companies top sport coupes. And you are now saying what happened in the past does not always guarantee what will happen in the future......you are quite right, thats why I maintain the Supra probably won't be compared to the GT-R.

Not that it should be important to you, but i'm not British. We do speak 'British' English in my country though, and we do drive on the correct side of the road, the left (joke)...

The reason I keep saying V10, is because Toyota let the world know at the tokyo motor show that it is a V10 that is currently being used in the LF-A..yes the same one you see going around the ring.Besides does the engine note sound to you like it could be anything else though?

No, I dont think i'm the only one who knows this stuff, and what was the last thing I said to you about the soarer?!?! What I said last could hardly be considered a lecture.
  • Options
    ooops...sorry
  • Options
    I'm very sorry. That was my intention until somebody called me Einstein which you missed.
  • Options
    khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    I've read somewhere that they are coming to a 3-series near you, couldn't find the link, however. Would be sweet for those who are missing the Supra like me.
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    You are missing the TT Supra, so you are encouraging others who are doing the same to buy a 335i?

I am missing the connection here.

Why not put a TT on any new car for that matter, and there you have it, a resurected TT Supra!

How about holding out for the release of the LF-A or a new Toyota sports car badged as a Toyota.

Why buy the BMW 335i when it for one, is not out yet, just as the Supra or LF-A isn't?
  • Options
    I'd rather buy a used 97 or 98 TT Supra.
  • Options
    From road & track, thanks to scionlife.....
    A 2-Door Lexus IS, badly camouflaged as a 4-door, was spotted lapping the Nurburgring late last year. Upon closer examination, we also noticed a large rear spoiler and quad stainless-steel exhaust tips. When we asked the folks at Toyota about the car, the answer was, "No comment."

Since then, we've been able to deduce that this 2-door IS is being created to go straight up against the BMW M3. And because the M3 switches to V8 power soon, it's only natural for the world's most profitable car company to also cram a V8 into its machine. But we hear that Toyota intends to do more than just keep pace with the M3; according to our sources, the Nagoya-based company plans to equip the IS coupe with a 5.0-liter V8, the one it's currently developing for the Supra. If that is the case, we can expect output somewhere near 400 bhp -- detuned slightly from teh Supra's version, but more than enough to put the M3 away in a straight line. Naturally, the name of the car would then become "IS500."

The overall suspension would stay the same -- double wishbones with high-mount upper arms up front, and a multilink setup at rear. Let's hope that Toyota has enough sense to equip the car with a manual transmission or "real" semi-automatic. The car's 0-60 times should be near 5.0 seconds.

The IS500 could make an appearance as soon as late this year. If so, expect it to be priced between $50,000 and $60,000.

Buuuuuuuttttttttt...... I have a couple of doubts on this one.... 1) why would toyota make a cheaper, faster car than its lexus coupe? 2)why would toyota be putting a v8 in its supra? maybe a high end version..I dont particularly want a V8 in my supra, but fine, I can get with progress...even so still 5.0L ?!?!?! fack!!!! I'l believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    This sounds like the LF-A concept and its engine, 5.0 liter with over 500 HP. I can't tell if a car has a V8 or a V10 by listening to the exhaust. I guess some people can. The link below says it has a V8.
    http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_detroit/lexus/lfa/pages/1.htm
  • Options
    And toyota Japan says it has a V10...

Might wanna take a look at the LF-A thread ;)

LF-A > IS500
  • Options
    this would be the lexus they saw at the ring

Read this well

• Options
    I have read about the V10 somewhere. The numbers of cylinders is not that important to me. All I want is a stock 500hp Supra.
  • Options
    LF-A = 500+hp V10
    Supra(if it comes out) = V6 base, V8 (from IS500) option (i think)
    IS500 coupe/sedan = 400-450hp V8

Thats the point ive been trying to get to you all along
  • Options
    I agree with the LF-A with 500+hp V10.

What happened to your 300hp Supra that you would buy and been trying to sell me all along?

A 450hp Supra? It's 50hp less than I hoped for and 130hp more than my Supra. I still don't know if I'd buy it.
  • Options
    Supra(if it comes out) = V6 baseV8 (from IS500) option (i think) ;)

And i'm not trying to sell you anything, as far as i'm concerned you can keep your MKIV (I assume) or buy a Z06 or whatever the hell you fell like.
  • Options
    I still dont see Toyota selling a coupe (Supra) for cheaper than its Lexus counterpart (IS500).. That why I said and still say i'll believe it when I see it

The point i'm trying to get across is; Toyota will not make the same mistake twice

let me break it down for you:
    The MKIV died in the US market because it got too expensive. A lot of people (not including myself, or apparently, you) will not pay upwards of 40k for a Toyota sports coupe. The Supra is not a high volume car, and if it cant sell what toyota produced they will kill it again. All Lexus are faster than their toyota counterpart. Consider it a miracle if toyota puts out a supra that is faster than an IS coupe, or SC coupe (for cheaper to boot). Can you say marketing suicide?
  • Options
    The MKIV died in the US market because sport coupes weren't selling. 'Overpriced' and 'a lot of people' - Why are you using these relative terms? I think everybody on this forum knows Supra is not a volume car.

Do you work for Toyota? Are you a car salesman? You seem to know a lot about pricing and marketing. If the new Supra comes out with 450+hp, I'll let you make some money. I'll buy it from you.

And yes, I'm keeping my MKIV. Now you're telling me to buy a Z06. Hello, is this the Supra forum?
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The MKIV died in the US market because sport coupes weren't selling."

No kidding. So ask yourself, WHY were they not selling (specifically the Supra, RX7, Nissan Z, and Mitsu 3000VR4)?

Price. They all priced themselves right out of the market.

I'd love to see a new Supra come out. No, I don't need 400hp or 450hp or 500hp. What I need (and what Toyota needs) is to make the car AFFORDABLE.

Base cars should be available for $28-$30k. I think it would be fine with the 3.5l V6 tuned for about 300hp. Upper trim (or higher hp edition) should be available for around $35k. The historic competitor for the Supra (going back to the late 70's and into the early 90's) was the Nissan Z. You don't need 450hp to compete with the Z. You don't need 350hp to compete with the Z.

IMO, what Toyota needs is to reintroduce some affordable sport to their lineup (not necessarily balls-to-the-wall let's-nuke Corvette performance). They need to get young professionals interested in their lineup who can afford a sports coupe in the low $30k range but not a Supra more expensive than a Corvette.

If Toyota feels the 'need' to release a 500hp supercar, let them do it under the Lexus banner.
  • Options
    Why do you think I care about what Toyota needs to do? You should be talking to Mr. View who likes to talk about pricing. All I want to talk about is a 500+hp car made by Toyota. It doesn't really matter to me what 'badge' they put on it. Are we all clear? Cool.
  • Options
    my point exactly. thank you rorr

What mrdumidolikat "needs" and what mr.dolikat will get are two different things.

I´m not a salesman.... a salesman would tell you exactly all the bs you want to hear.....maybe you might find hope in a TRD supra, goodluck..with everything
  • Options
    if all you want to talk about is a 500hp toyota, you are in the wrong forum. The Volta would go on sale before toyota puts out a (non TRD) 500hp supra
  • Options
    "All I want to talk about is a 500+hp car made by Toyota. It doesn't really matter to me what 'badge' they put on it."

I thought this was the 2007 Supra forum?

As such, I was under the impression you were equating "new Supra" with "500+hp car". I was commenting on the need for Toyota to build a 500hp Supra (as in 'zero'). I was commenting on what (IMO) Toyota should do with a future Supra, should they build one. Let me clarify what I believe Toyota should do, should they release a new Supra:

Requirement 1: keep it affordable
    Requirement 2: keep the Nissan Z as the target

Isn't there a Lexus LF-A forum? Personally, I believe it much more likely that they would release a very high hp Lexus than a very high hp Toyota.
  • Options
    I can easily see this happening:

Supra (3.5l V6): 306 hp - Base Price: $32,000

Supra GT (4.6l V8): 380 hp - Base Price: $38,000

LF-A, or Lexus GT 500 (5.0l V10): 500 hp - Base Price: $110,000
  • Options
    Ugh.

I can see it as well, though I'd hope the base prices would be at least 5% lower for the base/GT versions. Are those CDN dollars? ;)
  • Options
    OK. I just can't imagine life without a Supra.
  • Options
    5% lower sounds good to me too!

I can imagine the IS 460 going for close to $50,000, no? So 38 base doesn't sound so bad afterall!... and, afterall, the V6 model would tear its competition a new one anyway!

:D
  • Options
    OK. I just can't imagine life without a Supra. Do I have to say Supra to be able to stay on this forum? Are you a cop?
  • Options
    No, you don't have to say "Supra" to stay in this forum. I'm just wondering why the idea of a 500hp Supra keeps cropping up when I thought it was clear that the 500hp motor was being developed for the LF-A?

Maybe I should go over to the future Corolla forum and start wondering when Toyota will drop their 3.5l V6 into the Corolla......
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    In R&T, they have quite an "expose" on the future of the Japanese Sports Coupe and the LF-A and Supra are prominent articles therein!

They go with the picture used here recently around post# 150, say 400HP V8 for close to $50k, and the 306HP six for mid-30's.

IF Toyota produces a new Supra this is my take:

1. The V6 should match 350Z, dollar for dollar, and shouldn't exceed $35k for any trim level. $29k base model, $32k Sport model, and a $35k Limited model, loaded, with everything but NAV! That should be the only way it crosses $35k!

2. A V8 is fine, but it would need to be $7-8k below the Corvette. Period. The Convertible should also be priced below Corvette Coupe!

3. The Supra is 2 years too late! If they release it next year, the Z will be looking at a redesign for 2008, and will have more power than 306 upon completion! Timing is awful!

The LF-A has updated photos, and is listed between 100k-150k.

I wouldn't expect it to be too far north of $100k.

DrFill
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Toyota needs to have a true sports car in the line up.
  • Options
    what the doc said
  • Options
    Agreed!

And IS stands for Intelligent Sport! :D

Check the HPX forum, doc.
  • Options
  • Options
    ricecakes1323ricecakes1323 Member Posts: 3
    The base supra would be too much with the setup u have but the horsepower number u gave that engine seems to be on par if shy of a few ponies. I say that Toyota will have a base 3.5 running 280 or so, then have a tuned version running 315-320 and thehn have a v8 to go against the corvette. The LF-A is a given 500 hp and 100k price tag
  • Options
    On a 50k volume vehicle like the Lexus IS, yeah, but not on a Supra will they have 3 engines, at least not at the start.

If they make a Supra, with 325HP, keep it under $35k, and make it look like the spy shots, it'll sell. Period.

When I say sell, I mean 3k units a month, before they start attacking Corvettes!

They won't make two tunings of the same V6. When have they done that? They're not BMW! Why certify more engines than they have to? Will a 280HP Supra sell against 300HP G35 and Z? What's the business case?

Toyota is not throwing a mint into a Supra. They may make one more try, with 300+HP, and if it hits, go up market, but keep a value position against the Vette. I don't see a V8, which would have to be 400HP, in the cards, unless the economies of scale dictate that they can make a nice profit with a V8 model, under $40k, and sell 1000 a month. Unless they're selling the Supra as some "World car", bet on less models and engines, not more.

The Vette is not on their menu, nor should it be!

DrFill
  • Options
    exactly doc...

My guess is that if they really do bring the supra, the Toyota/Lexus sport coupe line up would be along the lines of;

Supra $30k+
    IS350 coupe $40k+
    IS500 coupe $50k+
    SC460 $60k+
    SC500 $75k+
    LFA $100k+

I could only see a V8 supra coming out as some sort of TRD model (kinda in essence of what the Z06 vette is, but I agree that the vette isn't nor shouldn't be on their menu).

On that note, I wonder how come toyota hasn't stopped production of the Prius? Yes, it sells, but the Camry hybrid is due out and so is the corolla hybrid...what place would it have after those vehicels come out? They are already doing a redesign for it. That being the case, I could see the Volta coming out as part of their 'hybrid only' vehicle line...probably slotting in at around $40k.

I aslo see a redone Scion tc and maybe even a scion convertible (mr-2 replacement) in the next 2 yrs or so. What do u think?
  • Options
    :confuse:

Stop the Prius?

That is THE hottest car Toyota sells! The only car that has waiting lists.

It will sell 100k units for several years.

DrFill
  • Options
    Why, though?

I think because it was an exclusive car; it won't be exclusive anymore. It has no business case unless it becomes something else.
  • Options
    It's like the Lexus RX.

There are luxury crossovers, then there is the Lexus RX.

Being the first to nail the market breeds owner loyalty, brand equity, great press, and long-term viability. :D

The other hybrids will only enhance the Prius' position, and Toyota's image.

Prius customers and Camry customers will never be the same, regardless of powertrain.

DrFill
  • Options
    I agree now. After some thought I can definitely see your reasoning. I do, however see a major reskinning!
This discussion has been closed.