Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Supra

Comments

• I may not've said it here, but I have read a quote from Danny Clements, about 18 months ago, stating that Toyota had a choice in making a new vehicle for their brand, a youthful, hip SUV, or to resurrect the Mighty Supra.

Hello FJ Cruiser! :surprise:

In a perfect world, the Supra would replace the Land Cruiser in the lineup, as having the FJ (according to Toyota, the most capable off-raoder they produce) and Land Cruiser is somewhat redundant.

Toyota doesn't even offer a $20k sports coupe, that's a hint. Try getting a Solara with a stick!

With the success of the Scion tC, Toyota may realize, by 2010, that there is a nice market for a sporty Toyota. I've driven the tC, and it is no sports car, but a quality car. Celica was a secretary's car, 'cept for the All-Trac.

If the '93 arrived in 1990, aaginst the '90 300ZX, it would've been LS400 vs. Q45 all over again.

It's time to let this dream go guys ("I just keep having this dream!"). We all have to wake up, and find new heroes. :cry:

I'm backing the Evo X, myself. Hopefully, Mitsu is still solvent in 2 years. And they also don't go SMG.

DrFill
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I've driven the tC, and it is no sports car, but a quality car."

I've driven the tC too, and it was no Celica (particularly compared to my GTS). I really, really wanted to like the tC. No dice for me.

"It's time to let this dream go guys"

Yep. Afraid you're right. See you around, Toyota......
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    sporty, and seriously FAST, small or medium-size cars that are out there now or going to be in the next year or two - Mustang, reborn Camaro, Challenger, on the Japanese side the STi, the Evo, the next-gen Skyline that will actually make it here (yessss!), Eclipse (if a bit too porky), new SI from Honda, and on it goes.

Against this backdrop, Toyota has NOTHING AT ALL to compete. No, tC doesn't count, I have driven it, a decent car yes, but such a pale replacement for the Celica it doesn't even count, especially not among that group of cars I just mentioned.

This is by far the biggest hole in the Toyota line-up these days. The Land Cruiser has been over-luxed to the point of extinction, which it will probably become at the next revamp. I say kill it but keep an LX for the Lexus set, and produce a really worthy sporty car instead. Make it four doors if you have to, but make it a Toyota.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    I've switched flags to Mazda. Sorry Toyota. 'Loved the Tercel, but that was back in the day of the Corolla GT-S, MR2, Celica, and Supra. Looks like I joined the workforce a several years too late.

But then, the last Celica, MRS, and IS300 didn't sell a whole lot. It may be that only specialized manufacturers can afford to go for such a small market. Or financially unwise ones. Are people like us relevant?
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "Are people like us relevant?"

ouch.

Well, I think I'm pretty relevant.

And yeah, as far as the imports go, I'm starting to lean heavily towards Mazda. Their new Kabura (sp?) concept looks like the spiritual successor to my Celica GTS, with the added bonus of being RWD. And the RX-8 could easily be my next car (although the rotary is a bit thirsty for the amount of torque it generates).

I can't say at this time I've definitely switched flags to Mazda (I've got a soft spot for the Mustang and the Camaro concept looks really appetizing to me), but it definitely ain't Toyota anymore.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    Here are pictures of what the next Supra may look like :
    If this is found to be true, that's great ! That car is so good looking ! ;) ">
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    We are relevant, but we are NOT the mass market. Toyota is mass market to the EXTREME these days. And I have to admit, that is a philosophy that has served them VERY well financially speaking.

Not to mention, "sportiness" is mostly something manufacturers advertise to sell cars, even as they dumb those cars down for the American market.

Mazda is one of the few manufacturers that doesn't do this, and look how they got punished (in sales) for it with the Mazda6.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• It looks a lot like the latest Celica from the front, IMO.... :D
  • prguy77prguy77 Posts: 14
    Could you maybe show a link to the pictures? They show up as broken links in your post. Thanks!
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    If I did, it would get you to another forum and I think that giving links to other forums is prohibited... Sorry.
  • Yeah, out of stock check the Dealerships.
  • All you guys kill me!!!! Not that I am an expert on a new Supra but I have to say If??????? Toyota comes out with a new Supra and its not an inline six cylinder it is not a Supra. Have you all forgoten the Supra heritage stems from the 2000gt? And since the 5m,7m,1j,2j engine lines are all dead. It would be smart to think Toyota will not build a new engine for one car, I have to think that if Toyota ever does build another sports car that it will not carry the name Supra. And God help all of us Supra owners because if they do bring back a Supra again all of us will go from owning a piece of history to just owning an old car with no value!!!!
  • rb1rb1 Posts: 11
    Lexi4life,

Where did you get this, can this be considered somewhat reliable? I'm just like everyone else in this post, I'm really hopeful for the supra to come back. Mazda, Nissan, Mitsbushi all pale in comparison to what the Supra left behind when it left us in 1998. If it's legit, it gives me hope that we'll see the return of the supra. It's tough to get a good feel for the size of the car, but I like what I see. Any ideas guy!?!?!?!

If this isnt the supra, how about that design for the SC?

• If this isnt the supra, how about that design for the SC?

i don't think the SC will look like this, because the SC will stick to the l-finesse design. And this just doesn't have any l-finesse at all, though it's handsome...
  • But if I read that right, 5L, 450HP?

That's gotta be $45k+! I don't know if that would be a Toyota at that price.

Not as fly as the '93, but worth looking at. :)

DrFill
  • there is always image

the 300hp V6 version :D
  • You will have my undying love and affection!

That 'vert has got 6-speed Auto written all over it. But a "Base" 6-speed stick coupe for $34,995 would be dominant! A G35 coupe competitor.

DrFill
  • 'OVERPRICED' is hard to use correctly. TOYOTA is within a few years of becoming the world's largest car manufacturer. GM is downsizing while Toyota is building more plants in North America.

If we see the MKV Supra, my guesses are:
    - same engine as the LF-A for half the price; or
    - the LF-A will be a Lexus Supra

Either way, it will beat the Corvette and everything else with 500HP or less.
This discussion has been closed.