Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Supra

Comments

• psychoartpsychoart Posts: 17
    Sometimes, it's not whether the car will sell or not. Toyota will have to show from time to time to consumers and prospective owners/buyers that it has the muscles, and possesses up-to-date and possibly the most advanced technologies available for sale with complete testing. In other words, it's called show off.

You might say that Lexus is the place where you show off, but that may not be necessarily true. Toyota is the root of the family. No one should laugh about it. I anticipate Toyota to bring the Supra in 1-2 years from now, after the Camry launch. It is inevitable since Toyota will need to recuperate money invested in the R&D for the hybrid, and to put forth more production and expertise of the hybrid system to lead the market.

Furthermore, Toyota does not want anyone else going in front of them with that technology. Otherwise, it will be a total shame. With a Lexus sedan in place utilizing a V8 hybrid, Toyota can now definitely bring a sport car with a V6 system without making fun of its luxury crowds in the States.

By mass producing more hybrid system, Toyota can lower the price of its technology in the longer run. Hence, Toyota will be able to achieve the starting price of nowadays sport car like the Z in the 30k. The Corvette was running all over the Porsche because it costed 40k instead of 60k. Well now, the new Supra would circle around GM with flying colors on Hybrid technology in more mpg.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    I disagree. Even though a hybrid Supra might run circles around a lot of things, in the U.S., the car will likely not sell. This country is facing a major recession, and the majority of consumers tend to go for practical during bad economic times. Two-door sport cars, hybrid or not, are hardly practical.

Before getting into arguments about the impending recession, a good look at the over-bought stock market, ridiculous trade deficit, crumbling real estate markets, pathetic job situation, and sky-rocketing energy prices should provide a clue as to what's headed our way economy-wise.

The new Camry, especially the hybrid, and the new Rav4, are Toyota's power plays. A new Supra won't even register as a blip on the radar. The timing is just wrong.

And by the way - I'm a huge Supra fan - owned two of them. Best cars I ever had.
    Performance sedans are for wannabe sporty driver, but not a real thing. They can't be used much for sporting or racing purposes.

Sorry dude, but I think it's the SC's that are wannabe sporty cars. Underpowered and soft sprung, the only "sporty" attributes are their owners trying to portray them as performance cars. My stock GS400 sedan will run circles around any SC past or present and smoke it on the drag strip. My old Supra would do the same. Heck, even my 4-cyl Subaru can easily outrun and outhandle the SC.

SC, while a very nice vehicle, was a car with no market direction - it was too cramped to be a true luxury car, and too soft and underpowered to be even remotely sporty, that's why it's dead.

But, as long as you enjoy your SC, the more power to you. It will be reliable and serve you well for a very long time.

Peace... ;)
  • Post elsewhere? Import > American

BTW Do you own a Lexus LX470??? =]
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Wasn't designed to be a "performance car", although it the 400 was a sub-7 second car, it performed very well.

It was a Luxury GT, and one of the best ever. Didn't really have any weaknesses. Newer technologies just caught up with it, that's all. Lexus rested on it's laurels, and got caught flatfooted. The market passed it by, after 7-8 years.

If you have owned one anywhere near the prime of it's life, congrats!

DrFill
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    it's lookin' iffy....check out this article:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060815/FREE/60814015/1041/P- ROMOBLOG01

and scroll about halfway down. "No Supra planned, all rumors to the contrary are false."

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

everyone has seen by now that R&T this month has a blurb in the Future Cars section on the 2008 Supra. It appears the on-again off-again rumors on this car are on again for now. Who knows. They say they have confirmation that Toyota is definitely working on a new Supra, even as Nissan gets ready to put out the next-gen 350Z (which will be little changed by the looks of it). Could be rumors, could be lies, who knows.

But I like the looks of the car they have illustrated in the picture. And they say Toyota is aiming for a $30K price point, and that the car will mechanically be an IS350 (but with a manual option I assume, whereas the IS350 is automatic-only). They are guessing a neighborhood of 350 hp - that engine makes 306 in the Lexus today, and I think they might be optimistic on the 350 figure. But even if it gets to 320 hp that will be pretty good in a 3200-pound body, and of course it will still be naturally aspirated, which I prefer to turbos and S/Cs.

I hope it really happens. I will start to save now - I expect that, knowing Toyota, the base price will be more like $35K, so I need to save a down payment! ;-)

• sortersorter Posts: 146
    I don't know about 2008. IS coupe will be late summer 07 and then the convertible IS in early 2008. I guess the Supra will be more like 2008 Summer model, which will make it a 2009 car? Which might be the same year for the Lexus GT? Look for sales in Europe to double again easily once those few cars come out.
    But let's entertain the lastest rumors.

As I puruse my coveted 1993 brouchure, the legendary 6-speed Supra Turbo had 320HP, 315 lb-ft., and weighed 3415 lbs.

I would bet the Next Supra would increase in power over a 15 year-old predecessor, no? I would expect 350HP, as the Z will be more powerful too.

If they made it any lighter than the last one, 0-60 would be solidly under 5 seconds!

Be mindful that the 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X is also supposed to have power in the 320HP neighborhood, plus lose weight to the tune of 2-300 lbs., weighing in at a rumored 3000 lbs. (more likely 3200).

One thing I do know for sure. It will be better than the Z, just like it was last time! better looking, too! :blush:

That next Evo X is pretty sweet, doh! :shades: That's my next car, at this moment in time.

DrFill
    Fear not Doc! The base engine on that '93 made about 230 hp, so we have come a long way, baby!

The optional engine in the '09 Supra should make 400 hp, I think, and yes, R&T is predicting a 0-60 of around 4.5 seconds.

• guestguest Posts: 774
    That's a good looking picture (would work on the fascia, doh).

Weight will be important. If it can be 300 lbs less than a Z, that would be a hard advantage to overcome for Nissan.

If Toyota will go all the way with Project Supra, I trust it will be one special Toyota! :D

DrFill
  • Have you guys seen the pics of the Japanese ad depicting actual pics of the '08 Supra? Just do a Google search on "2008 Toyota Supra" and you'll get tons of sites to pop up, with www.2008toyotasupra.net having probably the most info gathered thus far. The articles and spy shots look pretty reputable, so let all hope for the best. I, for one, would be thrilled to see a New Supra debut coem October 2007!
  • twq83twq83 Posts: 19
    Here is a Glimps that I'm sure you all have seen .... Latest from the Brains at Toyota ( Toyota USA in Calf.) is there will be 2 versions a Hard top and Convertable ........ Read on .........

http://www.2008toyotasupra.net/
  • ms09ms09 Posts: 112
    does any1 know when the new supra is coming, and which was the last model produced
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The look of the red 2008 Supra rendering in the header of the 2008Supra.net page!

~alpha
    There is no new Supra coming.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Ok, thats NOT true. Even if its not called the Supra, a Toyota sports car is coming in some way, shape, or form.

You think the concepts shown in Detroit were just fun, inexpesive hybrid styling exercises?

~alpha
    The only sports car from Toyota in the near future will be the Lexus LF-A. That is supposed to run around $100K. Not your everyday Supra price range.
    Im sure they will be a toyota sports car, i wonder when toyota will make coupe like the mercedes cl class and the cls class,if they do make it will be great
    I do hope they build that hybrid sports car thingummy concept they had. :-)

• motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Well the upcoming IS-F with its 400 + HP engine could be considered a four door Supra. I am sure performance would be similar to the TT Supra of the mid and late 90s.
    when was the supra last model produced
    Sold until 1998 in the States, and a few extra years in Japan. The MkIV (last model available here) was introduced for the 1993 model year, if that is the question you are asking.

Is this true,

CL 63 AMG boasts the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 engine in the world.???

I dont know much in details about car engine, can any1 tell me whats the difference between the naturally aspired and the twin turbo??? i know the twin turbo engines are fast but what else is the difference, i wanna to know in detail.

I want to know everything abt it how does it feel while driving whats the power difference whatever info u guys got....... all kinds of info will be appreciated
    the TT was available only with the automatic due to smog issues, at least here in California. It is a hoot to drive, really presses you back in the seat when you floor it.

Of course, the last time I drove one was years ago now, it was an off-lease '98 with about 30K miles. They wanted some huge price for it, although since it was a Toyota dealer they also would have leased it again. Should jave gone ahead with it, it was in sweeeeeeet condition! :-)

Anyway, none of this is about the future Supra we are all still hoping for, but now feel is not coming, so I will add one thing, a stern admonishment for Toyota: IT HAD BETTER BE AVAILABLE WITH A STICK!

If Toyota DOES bring back the Supra and then makes it auto-only, my face will look like this... :mad:

That would just be a stupid move.

Guys i am not really a supra fan. but since my friends always talks abt supra i am a little interested in it now... well till now no1 has replied my previous message... i hope some1 reply does...first of all why did toyota stop making the supra????And hows was the driving experience...

How comfortable was this car???

I dont know 1 thing toyota is a big company and a very profitable 1 .. so why dont they make coupe and sports cars like the mercedes Cl class or the bm 6series...

I hope they start making it in the future...
    The words "sports car" and "slushbox" don't go together.

Like "Lindsay Lohan" and "sober"....

DrFill
    In the States, sales dropped to 1000/year as a result of the increase in price and a shift in the market that chased all the other Japanese GT cars (and eventually the Camaro and others) out of the market. Also, the Supra ran into big smog trouble by the end of its run, which would have required further investment to fix. Toyota deemed it not worth the trouble and cancelled it in the U.S.

In Japan the Supra ran on several more years, eventually being dropped because that whole class of car has just disappeared from the Japanese market in favor of the cars the Fast N Furious crowd would like: small displacement sedans and coupes with turbos and whatnot on them.

It was a snug fit in the cockpit, but if you want to get a sense of how the future model woulod hypothetically be to drive, go sit in a Lexus IS 350, better yet drive one around. I suspect that despite all the talk of various prototypes and wild speculation about the future model, the only way it will really reach the U.S. with a Toyota badge is as a disguised IS350 coupe with less equipment than the Lexus, with perhaps a V-8 option, who knows.

In fact, they may also make a more luxurious Lexus GT variant to capitalize as much as possible on the up-front expenditures.

This discussion has been closed.