Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Hybrid Vehicles fun to drive?

2»

Comments

• "I did the test on post #8 myself, to settle once and for all. WOT will burn twice the fuel over the same distance and finishing speed, vs very light throttle."

Really? So what were the actual MPG results? ~40 mpg WOT vs. ~80 mpg slow ("twice the fuel")? I find that impossible to believe.

Also when you did the WOT test, what shift pattern did you use? 1-2-5?

troy
  • mistermemisterme Posts: 407
    Here are the results of my test, this is a repost from June 04, and I am driving a CVT:

Conditions were:

80 Degree high humidity Possibly 90% on the edge of rain,

Engine completely warmed up for about 1/2 hour of driving,

Battery Pack (SOC) is 4 bars off of full (normal full charge),

No A/C or any other accessories, Windows up.

The 1st test was on a straight strip of road that has a linear slight incline.

I did a series of "Control" tests to measure the road itself and this is what I found:

The road chosen is 1/2 mile long.

The HCH maintains 50MPH with FCD held at 44MPG.(40 + 1 bar) on ascent.

Other way around on the decent it maintains 50MPH at 84MPG.

Hopefully that will show the grade as it is not level.

I did a series of tests to measure fuel consumed going 0-50 on ASCENT ONLY.

FCD is reset at the moment each run was started.

Once 50MPH is reached the FCD is adjusted to 44MPG to maintain speed.

MPG is measured at the 1/2 mile mark. Tests were ran 3 times, each had about the same results.

This is what I measured:

Full throttle: 0-50 in 10 seconds 19MPG

FCD held at 20MPG during acceleration: 0-50 in 31sec 25MPG

Very slow acceleration: 0-42 in 56 sec (Reached 1/2 mile) 30MPG

If anyone takes the time to do these tests themselves they'll see similar results. Also keep in mind that the battery was less depleated after a gradual run, so it had less to recharge.
  • Your test strip is too short. We're talking long-term trends here, because even though full-trottle will *initially* burn more fuel getting to 55, you will spend more time (~20 seconds) in the lean-burn >80mpg mode, and that leads to *higher overall* mpg.

Also, it says full throttle but it doesn't say what gear? "Drive" "Second" or "Low"?

troy
    I've also tried a very similar test on a 3 mile run and the tests results were the same.

How long of a run would be required?

According to my test results, isn't 30MPG with a small amount of battery to recover better than 19MPG with more battery to recover?

There are so many variables in a longer run than...say 3 miles...cars pulling out, gusts of wind and other things. That's why I first choose 1/2 mile test, followed up by a 3 mile run.

All tests were done with the CVT in the "D" slot, as manual shifting would add more varables.

The results are always the same.

Slowest acceleration as possible saves fuel.

You are right that pushing it to the floor gets a thrill.

Love the way the IMA winding up sounds like a jet.
  • "All tests were done with the CVT in the "D" slot"

I always use "L" to redline the engine.

troy
    To help stay on topic please let me tell my story, sorry for the novel!

I've driven all vehicles like a speed demon. Left lane, 85-90MPH, sometimes very risky by severe tailgating, trying to get the next vehicle out of my way. I'd swerve around if I could and even frequent the HOV lanes for passing a slow (80MPH) row of cars. Always on edge and cursing the object in front of me.

I not only carried a detector but also monitored the trucks over the CB for speed trap warnings.

Although I never drove really crazed while my wife & 3 small kids were along, I now realize that I was sometimes a jerk to other drivers and posed a great liability risk to my family.

I drove that way for about 27 years.

The driving habit in my 94 Dodge Spirit was costing too much, I was getting about 15-16MPG so I decided to drive better and a couple of tanks I'd set the cruise control to 5MPH over the posted speed limits.

This created an extremely boring, long excruciating trip (I commute 92 miles daily) and only yielded an additional 4-5MPG.

I really wanted to change my driving habits but couldn't do it in exchange for a boring ride.

As my 10 year old car matured it was time for replacement.

For 1 year I was torn between a Neon or an all-out HCH.

Well I chose the HCH and it has done the impossible, in completely changing my habits.

The first tank I noticed the low 40's MPG which I was amazed, but I wanted to see just how high it will go. I was hooked. Everything changed at that point.

I knew nothing of hypermiling so I consulted the experienced Insight drivers who are getting +90MPG in their machines for advice in mine.

I worked very hard at improving my MPG and the results are wonderful: My average over the last 12 months is about 60MPG.

I've saved over $5000 in fuel alone over the 'ol Dodge and I'm a vastly safer driver.

I've learned a technique that allows me to drive about the speed limits which only adds an extra 10 minutes each way to my commute. My commutes are more relaxing, pleasent and interesting drive. Instead of just blindly gassing it or spacing out in cruise control I'm judging every aspect of my drive and adjusting accordingly. A very busy, alert, fun drive.

One great thing about "the game" is once learned, it can be played in virtually any vehicle.

For me it took the exitement of the HCH to learn it.

If I had chosen a Neon (Or any other "regular" car) I'm sure I'd still be tearing up the road, carrying my detector and CB.

Probably getting 20MPG, still risking my life and others.

Thanks for reading my novel!
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    For me it took the exitement of the HCH to learn it.

I like that story. It sounds like that was the perfect choice for you and all those you shared the road with. I do believe the 3 high mileage hybrids are great for commuters.
  • The thing about my Prius is I've come to enjoy 400-450 mile tanks of gas and then there's that delightful computer screen showing "99 miles per gallon so frequently that I get a bit giddy. Telling people the enjoyment of $12.00-$14.00 fill-ups never seems to get boring. Of course there are times when I actually see another smart Prius Drver going by and I see myself, like in a mirror, looking good. The last time I felt this good about a car was when I borrowed my buddy's sexy black 58 Impala convertable for a hot date with the top down of course! Say, thats an idea, a Prius Convertable...Sounds good to me. What do you folks think?

Culliganman (or at least a sunroof)
  • jpricejprice Posts: 58
    [a Prius Convertable...Sounds good to me.]

Bad idea - it would shoot the drag coefficient right out of the water, as would a sunroof.

jprice
  • Awww, come on now. So I go from 48 mpg's to 44 mpg's. No pain there. Let's keep the perpetual dream alive. Who ever said that a hybrid has to be confined to a 4-Dr commuter car? I'll even go one better since I'm an avid motorcyclist. How about a hybrid-cycle? Now there's a thought. It could get in the realm of 150-200 mpg's. That could sure save fuel & $$$$$.

Culliganman (the possibilities are endless)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    Honda's Hybrid and Fuel-Cell Bikes

Starting with small scooters, Honda is working on ultra-clean, super-efficient two-wheelers, using fuel-cell, electrc and hybrid engine technologies. They are all prototypes at this stage, but we expect to see some of these technologies in showrooms&in at least some parts of the world—within a few years.

Honda World News

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/news040927/
  • "The driving habit in my 94 Dodge Spirit was costing too much, I was getting about 15-16MPG"

WOW. That really is bad. I owned a Dodge Shadow which I think is essentially the same car, and I averaged 30 mpg at 70mph.

troy
    It had the 4 cyl, not sure of the displacement but alot of the time it was floored.
  • Wow. Sounds like it was only firing 3 cylinders, because a 4 cylinder car should go ~110 when floored. That happened to a friend with a saturn... only firing 3 cylinders and wouldn't go faster than 80.

troy
    I posted:

"alot of the time it was floored"

Not:

"all of the time it was floored"

Mine would also exceed 100 if held down.

But if you floor it and catch up to the next car, slam on the brakes & ride the bumper for a mile, floor it again to pass...over & over...
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Not necessarily. There are plenty of things to consider when you talk about top speed. Insight has a three banger engine, and C&D took it to 107 mph in third gear.
  • markdelmarkdel Posts: 56
    I drives me nuts every time I see a post about how someone is getting better milage by coasting down hill in neutral, by "just using the amount of gas to idle the engine."
    The HCH has an engine mode when decelerating or coasting down hill IN GEAR, where the cyclinders are disabled and receive NO GAS AT ALL.
    Wake up and go do some research... :mad: :sick:
    Actually I believe your comment belongs in another thread, but I'll elaborate.

I'm not sure of the MT but my 04 HCH CVT works like this:
    If you want to coast while in gear:

You can let completely off the gas and the regen kicks in and slows you down, so you are not freely coasting at all.
    You can stop the regen by adding some to the gas pedal but you are still slowing because of the drive line-internal engine friction.
    You can add more gas to overcome the friction to freely roll but now you're far from idling.

Look at the FCD results trying both ways and see neutral coasting having better results, especially over distances of 1/4mile or longer.

If you are speaking of switching to N in a CVT for a 200 foot stop, then no it wouldn't make any sense.
  • tomslycktomslyck Posts: 70
    On the weekends, when my wife let's me drive "my" HH, I enjoy seeing how far I can get on the battery alone. As long as there's no one behind me, I can go for blocks and blocks without the ICE kicking in. Most of the streets in my neighborhood are 25 mph anyway, so it's not too different to cruise along at 20 or so.

And then there's a satisfaction when I'm sitting at the longer traffic signals when I realize that I'm not using any gas or polluting.

But I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually.
2»
This discussion has been closed.