Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Grommet, thanks for the insight. I think you're right. I kept thinking that for utililty I should buy a Denali and for fun an X5 or Cay. I think I unknowingly created a matrix with sport on one side and utility across the top. In my mental matrix the LR3 came up as maximizing neither sport nor utility. At a transaction price of 43-45K the Germans and the General were all priced the same with used Denalis available for 30K or so. The LR3 though was at a firm 50K with no negotiating and some possible baggage.

One thing which swayed me toward the sport dimension, was the answer to the question: do I really want to own an 8 -10 year old Denali (I do keep cars) or an older X5, Cay, or LR3?

In any case, if I pick up a Range Rover Sport when the Cay wears out, it would be just the thing when at 70 I pull my last lobster trap, sell my emerging market bond funds (by then they will be all in the doldrums of no-growth Western Europe) and head down I95.
  • jdidionjdidion Member Posts: 4
    Got a call from my sales rep last week. They had a couple Sports in for a few days. Went by this weekend and saw the new Range Rover Sport-Supercharged and was taken for a ride. Nice combination of the size and comfort of the full size Range Rover coupled with much more power. My wife drives a 2005 Range Rover. I love the comfort, but lacks the power of my Cayenne. The sport offers that power that I have become used to with the Cayenne. I have ordered a Sport Supercharged and look forward to it's arrival. Any others been for a ride or driven a Sport?
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone come across hi res pics for the RRS on the internet in colors other than the "burnt orange"? If so would you consider posting a link.

Also, it has occured to me that the RRS is not really a 1st year production. It seems to me that although the dimensions are somewhat diffrent and the shape is different, all of the major systems and components were already developed and produced for the LR3. Would it be wrong of me to feele relaxed about "teething pains" for the RRS? The LR3, though having some issues , they seem confined to 4-5 areas, whereas the RR (from my research) is FUBAR all over. Any one care to share some thoughts on my observation?
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I don't have hi-res pictures, but I just found these.

• calbritcalbrit Member Posts: 24
    I think you are right in your estimate that much of the RRS is shared with the LR3 and so many of the glitches will be worked out by the time it lands at dealerships. The number of problems on later produced LR3's are reduced and it seems much of the problems were of a software nature.
    thanks for the pics. BTW do those assembly workers look a liitle sauced to anyone but me? Just kidding...........though rumor has it......!
  • calbritcalbrit Member Posts: 24
    One of the dealerships I have been in contact with in Northern California have had their second order call for the RR Sport. Last month they were only able to order the non-supercharged engine. This month they have been able to order 1. They have a waiting list of orders currently for 6 more customers. The Supercharged engine will be like the LR3 HSE. Extremely short supply. They will have no problems selling the vehicles initially, just like the LR3.

I had a chance to drive the RR Sport non-supercharged engine and it is significantly faster than the same engined LR3. There is a very interesting insert in Land Rover Monthly magazine totalling 32 pages all about the thought process, design, testing and production of the RR Sport. One journalist I read from Top Gear magazine I believe reported that the RR Sport can do 80% of what the X5 Sport and Cayenne Turbo can do, but they can only do 50% of what the RR Sport can do. The X5 is a great car, but very common and the Cayenne Turbo is considerably more expensive! The Cayenne is great around a race circuit, but cornering is shabby to me for day to day driving, braking not what I expect and the ride to hard for a day to day car.

I'm not in the position where I can't afford the RR and thus am looking at the RR Sport to be my affordable RR. I look at the RR Sport as a stand alone model designed to be a completely different car for a different purpose. Those who are looking for the Luxury of the RR will be disappointed. Those who are looking for a Race SUV will be disappointed. Those who are looking for a fun all rounder that does most things better than most and has a unique look will love it. They already are from the response the dealers in Northern CA are getting!
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    Hi,
    Was the dealer able to tell you when a RR Sport ordered this month would arrive?
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I guess there's more than just 0-60 times, but 7.2 seconds for the 390 HP Supercharged version for the RR Sport isn't that impressive. It's all that heft that has to be hauled around. At 70 grand, it isn't the rocket-ship it's supposed to be. But real world driving may make up for less than stellar 0-60 times.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    There is more to the new Range Rover Sport than 0-60 times such as actually performing off-road.
  • slender1slender1 Member Posts: 2
    That's really the secret punch of the Sport. Have a little fun on the H'way AND ALSO be able to purchase a home and/or farm property in the boonies for a HUGE discount (due to the unpaven roads). I've known quite a few folks who have done that....from old Landcruisers to RR's.
  • michael26michael26 Member Posts: 3
    HI, I PUT AN ORDER IN FOR RR SPORT IN THE MIDDLE OF MAY. I JUST GOT A CONFIRMATION ON JULY BUILD AND SOMETIME IN AUGUST DELIVERY
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    Anybody has seen the bluetooth kit in action? Is it the factory kit (i.e. keypad enabled) or the dealership kit that's no better than the aftermarket kits?
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    The optional factory PTI/Bluetooth in the RRS is the same as the factory LR3 one. Keypad does function, and it requires a physical compatible cradle to be fully featured. (Phone book access, call log, name display, etc. doesn't work without cradle.)

If you must "see it in action" now, '05+ Range Rover (not Sport) will give you a clue. Though the UI is the Touchscreen on RR (since there is no separate radio head unit), the actual system is the same on LR3/RRS.
    Since none of the LR3's have the factory installed Bluetooth PTI so far, would the RRS be the first in US to have it?
    Well, maybe... if the early RRS deliveries just happen to be configured with the PTI option. (It's still optional on all trims in North America, unlike RR.) It'll be a race... as we'll probably see factory PTI equipped LR3s floating into North America next month.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Please do not include info about specific salespeople. Posts containing such information have been removed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stwsamstwsam Member Posts: 2
    I was so excited. A preview car came in today. Got a test drive as I have one on order. It was a black supercharged. Nice looking, actually really nice. But..... a restyled LR3 it is. the dash is identical, only the guage needles are red, not white. I have an LR3 Hse. There is just virtually no difference in the feel. I have 13 K on the lr3 and I know how it feels. The sport is quicker handling as the suspension is tuned a bit. The shorter wheel base makes it steer, but when you get in the rear seats, your butt hits the wheel arch. Kind of like the old jeep cherokees. The leather is the same as the LR3 except for perofrations so it is the same as an SE Freelander. The leg room in the back seems about the same as the LR3, after you bump your butt. The cargo area behind the seats is really large. Not nearly as chopped as I anticpated. Close to that of my wifes 2004 RR. Rear seats fold down like old discos, not like the lr3 so the bottom cushion must go up to put down the seat back. I

Ok the power. Really bummed. It is decent from 4K to 6k. It has a nice rumble and kicks great for passing. Off the line, the LR3 is quicker hands down. Now maybe this preview car is tuned down if that makes sense. It had 1100 miles on it. It just did not go anywhere like I had hoped(quick or fast.) A 4.4 RR will give it a challenge from 50 to 70 mph accelatation, unless, again, I am drivng a poor performing SC model.

The car is really quite carved out and it feels super sporty with the console up. It makes one feel as though they are sitting lower in the saddle. The headrest DVD's were cool. This car did not have blue tooth or rear back up camera. Lit said it would, but the sales guide said the camera was only in full size RR. The car had ACC, but I did not try out as we were under a do not damage order due to the fact we were not supposed to be test driving the vehicle. Anyway, I hope I am really wrong. I want RR and LR to be dominant 4wd, but I would say the X5 will kits this guys butt.
    Maybe your right foot is broken. Have you noticed a hobbling, limping hitch to your walk? Just kidding. I am surprised to read your statement that the RRS SC is slower off the line than an LR3. The two vehicles weigh about the same. The LR3 has 315 ft/lbs, the RRS SC 410 ft/lbs pushing 390 horses. But you already know the specs. Seems to me you had an underperforming RRS SC Though the whole concept behind the RRS is as a sport tourer that offers long distance on road comfort/excellent (for a 5700 lbs truck) handling, combined with Land Rovers off road capabilities. I do not believe it was ever intended to dethrone the X5's pure on road athleticism. If that is your expectation, then with all due respect, perhaps you ordered the wrong truck?

my take
    mgreene
    Off the line acceleration has a lot to do with gearing and shift points. Do we know if the two vehicles have similar gearing and shift points?
    US Land Rover site now has a link to a Range Rover Sport specific micro-site: http://www.thenewrush.com (Flash based)

PDF of the technical specifications: http://apps.us.landrover.com/thenewrush/images/06RRS_Specifications.pdf
  • michael26michael26 Member Posts: 3
    I have a few clients that have an inside on oil issues as well as gas issues.
    First off, we still are better than the Euorpean markets. Considering that a bottle of Snaple soda is more than a gallon of gas, as well as a gallon milk is some areas. Also there are alot of consumer products that in are much higher than gas that are smaller in quantity that a gallon of gas.. Alcohol and or cigerates are higher than gas also.
    Through the grape vine there is not a shortage. As before in the 70's it's just a ploy to raise prices That just big business. I'm not agains't the environment, or issues concerning it. As long the vehicals that are prodcued cleaner for it. I do believe that you will see more fuel efficent products coming out. I also think that everyone in the auto industry, as well as an auto enthusiast like's performance. Racing is a big thing around the world, i dought very much if there's an end to it.
    Just a thought on gas and issues
  • hanzhanz Member Posts: 3
    Managed to get a test drive in San Fran on 6/18. Have recently tested the X5 and Cayenne S. My observations and comparisons: The RRS fits firmly in between the LR3 and the RR. With the Lux package the RRS is very similar to the RR and definitely a cut above the LR3. Its difficult to compare acceleration, but the overall driving experience is vastly superior in the RRS. The X5 and Cayenne felt a little tighter (some slight body roll in the RRS) but the RSS had MUCH better feedback--the X5 and Cayenne felt dead in my hands.

Power in the HSE is acceptable and actually better than expected. The supercharged version will definitely haul. What really impressed me was the smooth power delivery--uphill, downhill, or on the flat (compared to X5 and Cay S, not RR/LR3). Some body roll is perceptable at high speeds on corners, but the RRS stuck to the road and refused to cave. My only quibble was what seemed to be a large amount of travel in the brake pedal--seemed like a loooooong way to the bottom. That said, braking was very responsive once you got there (dealer mentioned this might be adjustable).

Some other forums have noted some minor electrical/speedo problems with the initial batch of RRSs, but all these seem easily fixed. The only constant complaint I have seen is the lack of hooks for a cargo net. Would be nice, but I'll get over it.

Did not drive the RR or LR3 (I had already spent an hour in the RRS) but compared the three visually as they were parked side by side. By itself, the RRS appears very similar to the RR, and even next to one another the RRS appears more similar to the RR than the LR3. Stock interior may be similar to the LR3, but with the Lux package the RRS is just as comfortable as the RR.

RRS w/ Lux package had everything I wanted standard. The nav system is the best I have seen--accurate and easy to use. Stability is good for a vehicle of this size/height and the suspension system is both useful and easy to use.

The RR "look" plus the features and capabilities at this price made the decision a no brainer. Put an order in for the next lux blue/black/grey one that comes off the boat.

opinions may vary, but this one is mine... :)

Cheers,
    thanz
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I drove the RRS this past weekend, and was impressed. Now I just have to decide what color and how to pay for it. :D
  • lifeisgoodlifeisgood Member Posts: 6
    I took delivery of my new RR Sport HSE this week and I am more than pleased with the build quality, materials, handling, power, ride, comfort, dimensions, and driver position. The handling is tight and responsive, yet has a very smooth ride that does not abuse this 60 old body. The low rumbling sport car like exhaust noise was kind of annoying at first, but I don't notice that anymore. My first tank of gas produced 15.5 miles per gallon in mixed driving conditions on dry pavement. Power is more than adequate and braking is very good. The leather is very well done and the cherry wood grain panels are very attractive. The cockpit like driver position is well laid out, with the controls and screens well placed. The standard 19" HSE wheels are very attractive. This is a much nicer overall vehicle than the comparable Porsche Cayenne and the BMW X5 that I test drove. My spouse whom was against ordering a car without driving it first agrees that this is a vehicle she would like to drive. This RR Sport has raised the benchmark for luxury SUV's.
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    Hi,
    Congratulations on your purchase!

How do you find the leg room in the driver's seat (I am
    6'4")?
  • maddog_52maddog_52 Member Posts: 2
    In May I ordered a RRS for August delivery and finally got to test drive a non-superchaged demo this week. To be honest I was impressed ... but not overly so ... and feel the RR accelerates, handles and feels much better. The sales rep says RRS acceleration is at least equal to the RR since the same size engine is being used and that the RRS is a superior vehicle.

Before upgrading my order to a regular RR, does anyone else have the same opinion about the RRS handling as compared to the RR? Obviously the RR is roomier, more luxurious and costlier BUT from a performance standpoint Is there something I missed when driving the RRS?
  • dpaikdpaik Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2003 RR with the BMW engine. I also test drove the 2006 RRS HSE this past weekend and was a bit disappointed in the acceleration. Even though the RRS HSE has more horsepower it feels weeker than the 2003 RR. I have not checked the specs but I would guess that the newer Jaguar sourced engine has less torque or a less responsive transmission. To answer your question make sure you drive a 2006 RR before you order. I think you will find that the 2006 RR with Jaguar engine does not feel as quick as the older RR's with the BMW engine.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    I am not sure about the specific acceleration numbers, or the "quicker feel" BUT, the 2006 RR with the Jaguar engine has both more BHP and Torque than the discontinued BMW unit .
    Early test reports also indicate that the Jaguar engine is smoother and quieter than the BMW engine.
    I have a 2004 RR and last week drove a 2006 Supercharged... seemed quicker (no surprise) but also smoother with an interesting exhaust "burble"
  • umbertobumbertob Member Posts: 39
    FYI, Land Rover finally posted detailed specs and extensive info on the RR Sport at their web site landroverusa.com.

One feature that specialized reviews rave about for on-road handling is Dynamic Response, standard on Supercharged but "delayed availability" on HSE accordin to Land Rover. Anyone knows what that means (next year? This fall?) and is willing to guesstimate how much this optional feature may end up costing on a RRS HSE model?

--
    Umberto
  • lifeisgoodlifeisgood Member Posts: 6
    The leg room is OK, but the head room may be a bite cramped if you have a long torso. I am 6'-1" and I just fit comfortably. Good Luck ! ! !
    Dynamic Response as an option will be $2000 when it's released according to the price list. "Delayed availability" means just that... could be a few months, could be the middle of the model year...
  • jdidionjdidion Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a RRS in the dark orange Vesuvious in March. The dealer said they expected it in mid-June to mid July. Fine, no problem. I called last week to check on it and was told it was coming in on July 11th! YEA! Then he proceeded to tell me that there would be an availability fee of $30,000 due to it being a limited edition. I was floored! I told him to keep it and good luck. I called another dealer in my area and before I could even ask the question, he told me about the $30,000 fee. Has anybody else run into this issue? I have run into availability fees in the past on high end new models, but never this much.
    I visited a LR dealer in Los Angeles (South Bay) last week. Still no RRS Supercharged in stock, they were hoping to get maybe one (Vesuvius) to show off by the July 4th w/e... They had a markup on plain-vanilla HSE's of $5000 above sticker (and several in stock), and I imagine any Supercharged models would fetch them quite a bit more, at least for a few months since they expect to get very few according to the salesperson. But 30K's seems outrageous for fancy paint...
    Local dealer here in Northern California had a Range Rover Sport Supercharged in the limited-edition Vesuvious. 10K above sticker, due to "regional adjustment", if you really wanted it. I had a nice test drive. I assume it was priced to keep it on the lot for a while. I guess it's possible a very well off (sucker) will pay 10K or even 30K more if they "want it now."

I guess it's no longer a "future vehicle" now, since it's officially launched...
    I just found out from a local dealer (So. California) that RRS HSEs with the optional Dynamic Response package should be available by middle / end of August around here. I hope these nasty "dealer markups" will be gone by then, at least for non supercharged RRS, since I test drove an HSE last week, loved it and really want to order one without getting robbed by the dealer in the process.
  • lr_saleslr_sales Member Posts: 13
    I work for a LR dealer(not gonna say which once since apperently that is against the rules) but we only charged 5000 over sticker for the Limited edition Vesivus orange Range Sport. I would expect to pay more for this car since they are only making one for every Land Rover dealership in the world and they will be numbered with a plaque.

I would be interested in finding out how anyone took delivery of a Range Sport before July first since Land Rover had set it up specificly so that now cars could be officialy delivered before July first.
    A few dealers here in California received a few RRS units a few weeks before July 1 and did deliver them to the early "pre-orders." The same thing happened on LR3's launch here.
    I hope to pick up my new RRS SC this Saturday. Is there anything I should look for? Will I get a free shirt? :)
    Does anyone know if the dealer can install this option? The car coming in doesn't have it, and I would like it if it is the same integration as the factory option. One salesman said yes, another no.
    scott, same as LR3... factory PTI system is "factory only." The dealer version only will allow Bluetooth access and voice control. You won't get cradle/dock compatibility (phone book/call log access, charging & the external antenna) or any integration to the stereo head unit (keypad, display, etc.)

Overall, the system isn't that great. If you don't have the factory system and don't have a compatible "dockable" phone, it's really not very special. Third party systems are far more capable and normally less expensive.
    Grommet, thanks for the advice. I opted to pass on the dealer version. I am picking up my car tomorrow. The dealer ordered the dealer kit and I will see what it includes. The car has a cooler box and the technicians are unsure where the phone cradle would install. You saved me $500. :)

This will be my first Land Rover. I am keeping my fingers crossed. ;)
  • elinselins Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an RR Sport with the factory Bluetooth PTI option. The salesperson told me that there are very few phones that work with it and that they are not the same phones as work with the other models systems according to her tech guy. Can anyoe tell me which phones that have gotten to work with the bluetooth system? I read one review of the car whose author said that they got a Blackberry phone to work "flawlessly" with the system but my salesperson told me in particular that Blackberry phones don't work...

PS I know there is a list of Approved Phones on the Land Rover Site, but it is rather short, many of them are no longer offereed and none of them are available from Verizon Wireless.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    Where did you find the list of bluetooth phones on the web site?
    I was looking for a list on the Land Rover webiste and found this.....

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/Range_Rover_Sport/Interior/Information%20and%20ent- ertainment.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a link to FAQ's, Quick Start guide and List of Phones. The list is unfortunately not very long, well at least the phone I was looking to buy is not on there....however they mention that it will be updated every six months as they test new phones for compatibility.
    I already own a Verizon Bluetooth phone (Moto V710) and since I am interested in the RRS I am equally interested in finding out if this model is or will be compatible. I found these charts on Verizon's web site regarding compatibility of their BT phones with various cars:

http://dts.vzw.com/how_to_use/bluetooth_car_kit.html

Of course, the only manufacturer still being "tested" for compatibility with Verizon's skimpy selection of BT phones appears to be Land Rover (the Range Rover - I assume the RRS uses the same Bluetooth kit as the RR). It is interesting that the kit on the Range Rover is Nokia OEM - at least that is what Verizon's chart says. So, I would not hold my breath on Motorola phones working flawlessly with Nokia BT kits, but let's hope for the best...
    Actually, I was just about to punt and swap my Verizon phone for the Motorola V710 because the Land Rover salesperson I bought my Range Rover Sport from (and others) have confirmed that the Motorola RAZR works with the system and Land Rover has approved other Motorola phones models starting with a "V". I'll post here if I get it this weekend and let you know.

Anybody else have bluetooth phone experience with Range Rovers (particularly the Sport)?
    I picked up my RRS SC yesterday. The salesman says that the DVD players don't come with headphones! What's the point of having them without headphones?
    The sales brochure mentions wireless headphones..

Can anyone verify that headphones are optional?

TIA
    I will try to post a photo later today!!
  • caporajmcaporajm Member Posts: 4
    you are correct, they don't come with headphones. one of the many quarks that I love about my car :) Also, scott.. what color are your gages for your SC. on the LR website they show the gages being white, but mine are red, like the HSE
  • caporajmcaporajm Member Posts: 4
    I received my RRS S/C Vesuvius in Ohio, sticker price. that's probably the only benefit if living in the mid west vs. Cali. Also, it came with no numbered plack that was mentioned before (which I would have loved) and really, besides the limited color, it came with nothing else that the others can't get. I love this car! :shades: