Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Comments

• irfansirfans Member Posts: 2
    I have had my RR sport for 1000 miles now and love it as well. the ride is incredible and it is truly a luxurious vehicle...my friends love it as well....i expect this to continue and have no hesitation recommeding this vehicle for purchase
  • slimchanceslimchance Member Posts: 1
    i was torn between purchasing a loaded Cayenne S or RRS with Lux, RSE,BlueTooth, & Sat. Radio. i finally decided to purchase RRS. although the RRS did not offer the back up camera, i convinced myself i could live without it. But while waiting a few days before taking delivery, I discovered that the factory installed (2 screens) RSE did not come with wireless headphones. What good is having a RSE system for the kids and with no wireless headphones? I cannot drive down the highway and listen to wee willy winky for more than 5 minutes without looking for the nearest beer distributor. being a 4-time Lexus owner, i am really spoiled when it comes to "creature comforts." i am use to having the RSE with wireless headphones that is fully integrated with my audio system (by the way, i can view a dvd on the front screen while in park) and a back up camera. to most, the lack of wireless headphones may be a minor issue, and even the absence of a back up camera can be overlooked but for me i guess, i have been spoiled by Lexus. since i am no longer in the mood for the cayenne s and the RRS lacks these two important features, i think i will order the new MB GL450 slated to be out this summer.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    You have two options.

You can buy any other head phones you want and plug them into the doors. Then the kids can listen to the DVD all they want.

Or you can get the retailer installed single screen 10 inch DVD system. It comes with wireless head phones.
  • rastacanerastacane Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Is anyone else having a problem getting the DVD sound to go through the spreakers, as opsed to the headphones.
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    Have you considered the possibility that you're contributing to your kids' future hearing loss by strapping on those headphones whenever you head out for a drive?
  • btdylanbtdylan Member Posts: 3
    I am confused! Awaiting the delivery of a RRS Supercharged in the next week or two and the dealer and RRS literature state the DVD system has wireless headphones. Reply??
    Its wrong.

We thought that too until we got the first RRS with RSE and hey wait a minute no wireless headphones.
  • jblsjbls Member Posts: 1
    So what am I doing wrong? I'll move the console button to the 'snow, ice & gravel' setting but my RRS HSE is all over the road, I've driven off the road twice. I've tried downshifting, but it seems like a lot of work with this car...I go so slow, Hondas pass me! It is as if it is floating over the road, there is so little traction. My kids won't drive in the car with me in the snow. Other than that...love all the features of the car.
  • veteran1veteran1 Member Posts: 3
    My RRS HSE with luxury Package will be delivered sometime in March.
    I have been cruising all the RRS forums and I noticed there is quite a few that have multitude steering problems from gear noise to shimming and a clunking sound. :sick: Has anyone encountered the same problem. My RRS was built in early February and I was wondering if they have corrected the steering problems or can I anticipate problems when I pick up my vehicle :confuse:
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Some reviewers deride the handling of the LR3 (not stable in cross winds on an interstate, "tippy", etc.). Most people on this board though love the handling of their RRS. I know that they share platforms. Do they share suspension design and/or components? Whats the difference?
    Well I have never really though the LR3 was that tippy but I have not ever driven one in really high winds so who knows.

The RRS does have a different suspension then the LR3. It is tighter over all and more responsive. The basic design of the suspension is the same but it is tuned much differently. The RRS also has a much smaller cross section then the LR3 since it is lower to the ground and does not have the cab to the rear design.
    While wintering in Yuma Arizona I went to the flea market. I noticed a crowd around one stand, so curiosity got the best of me and I joined the crowd to see what was going on. He was a distributor for IXL anti friction metal conditioner. I was impressed with the demonstration. Does anyone have a comment on the use of IXL on the RRS? Or is it just another gimmick to separate you from your money?

http://www.lubricationproducts.com/ixl.htm
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This Amsoil dealer thinks it's every bit as good as Head & Shoulders shampoo, LOL.

Steve, Host
    Is it very difficult to change the oil in the RRS HSE :confuse:
    The reason for asking this is I am a two hour drive to my LR dealer
    I have changed my oil in previous vehicles with no problem.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Range Rover Sport "HST" introduced, currently for the UK market:
    http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12892
  • dadmommikemaddadmommikemad Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody have any experience with replacing the factory wheels on the RRS HSE with 22" wheels?
    I think I'm gonna go for it.
    I hope it doesn't change the ride and road feel that I like.
    What tires should I put on the 22" wheels?
    265-35-22?
    285-35-22?
    265-40-22?
    What should I do?
  • rrs1rrs1 Member Posts: 1
    just acquired rrs and the dvd is not reading the disk i put original dvd movie and the changer not reading them but when i push the eject bottun it's working .what will i do
  • rdnycrdnyc Member Posts: 7
    I picked up my rrs in june 06, the first at my dealership. I have had nothing but problems ever since. barely a week has gone by without a visit to the service dept. I have experienced everything from shaky steering, false error messages, problems with parking distance control (unresolved and now disconnected!) and suspension issues. culminating last night whilst travelling along the highway at 55mph the suspension system collapsed. luckily, although the car lost control I was able to stop safely with the car resting flat on the floor. This problem with the suspension has been ongoing for the past two months and was supposedly resolved last week after the car was off the road in the workshop for a week.
    today I am going to the dealership to get rid of the car. what was originally annoying is now unsafe. I have never had a more unsatisfactory ownership experience. I will never buy a Land Rover product again and I would encourage others not to buy their products also.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I picked up my rrs in june 06 ...

Do you mean '05?

tidester, host
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Yes you definitely meant '05- it's April 2006, and barely!

I am new to this post. My wife is looking to replace her RX330 later this year (think fall or winter), and my son and I have already test driven three models we're interested in:

Porsche Cayenne & Cayenne S

Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic (yes, E)

Range Rover Sport HSE

I expected the Cayenne (S) to drive head and shoulders above the others... boy, was I wrong! The Cayenne V6 is very slow, unresponsive, does not impress on interior craftsmanship, has a notchy shifter, and not-all-that-great handling. (it plays tricks on you- it sounds like it's going fast, but it's barely accelerating)

The Cayenne S, on the other hand, was very fast. It may be a little too fast and not cushy enough for my wife's taste. Also, it's slightly overpriced.

The Benz E350 4Matic was an amazing sedan to drive and to sit back in. Before my current Audi S4 Cabriolet, I had a 2000 A6 2.7T quattro, my first Audi. The E was easily a better driving car, and had an interior ambience that almost reaches my S4's quality. It also wasn't too expensive (for a Mercedes).

I walked into the Land Rover dealership with a grudge against anything wearing the Range Rover badge- I thought that they were big, clumsy, overpriced and stupid. My son was the main reason I went at all- he is a major gearhead, and was all in favor of the RR Sport. We tested a black HSE, and I was extremely surprised to find what a good driver the car is. It is sportier than the RX of course, and it's not hefty and over-muscular like the Cayenne S. It handled nimbly, and had a very creative and contemporary, yet luxurious, interior. I walked out of the dealer thinking to myself, "I would be very happy buying a Range Rover Sport today."

That's something I thought I'd never think.
    yes, I did mean '05.

and in response to comments, it is a great car, just totally unreliable and in my case unsafe. If you can stand the constant visits to the service department and driving a loaner when you paid for a RRS then buy one!
    I would like some real information, from people who already own the car (unbiased).

I'm getting a bit shaky of the three cars we're looking at- Cayenne S, E350 4Matic, Range Rover Sport- for their brands' reliability reputations. We're used to a trouble-free Lexus, so please, please, PLEASE tell me how horrible or angelic your Range Rover Sport has been!

:cry:
    please see my honest postings regarding my experience of owning a range rover sport. I was totally biased towards the car when I first picked it up, my ownership experience has changed that. As I said, it's an amazing car, it just doesn't work properly!
    Could you tell me the dates/numbers of your posts, please?

I'd like to see.

By the way, is there a chance that some are bad, some good? I would be terribly disappointed if it had bad reliability. Like I said, we're very used to an angelic experience from our Lexus (I know nothing can get close to that, but...)

:lemon:
    Click on a member's username to see their profile and recent posting history. To delve deeper, use the Search This Discussion tool at the top or bottom of the posts.

Steve, Host
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    ESF,

I have the RRS SC and have put nearly 10K miles on it. Great car, wonderful experience, NO problems!
    That is a very good indicator that I'm going to buy the car- you'd expect the supercharged to get worse reliability. Thanks so much- there seems to be amazing experiences and terrible experiences with this car. I think I'll get lucky!

;)

(It's also gorgeous, luxurious, not too expensive, and very quick/nimble!)
    doctrix-

One more thing. I only had a brief test drive, about five minutes. I can't really remember how truck-like the car was. Do you think it would be too truck-like for the misses's taste?

I know that it won't be anywhere near the Camry-Lexus we have now, but maybe something... between the normal Range Rover and the RX330?

Suggestions would be appreciated.
  • lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    My cousin just got a RRS HSE nad he said that its a great car. I drove it and it was very smooth. The only problem is that the car is kind of loud and the car is kind of cramped in the back. But overall, its definitely a great car worth buying. It has most of the gadgets standard.
    I've seen you in the Q7 post room also...

seems like we're looking at nearly the same cars.

Again, may I ask why your name is what it is? If you answer in the Q7 room before you see this, there's no need to answer. It's just a bit confusing.

The Range Rover Sport is standard with tons of goodies- NAV w/ voice recognition, "video games", heated/cooled seats and even a beverage cooler!

Such luxuries!
  • lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    I already answered in the Q7 post room. Its a long story
  • martino749smartino749s Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried towing mid-size boat with this vehicle? I have a Searay Sundeck 220 (22') with a 2-axle brake assisted trailer. Total weight is approx 4,500 lb. I should be well within the towing capacity but am not sure about the tongue weight and overall driving when towing stability. Any info would be appreciated.
    I know of several people that have towed similar trailers with an LR3 and had no problems so the RRS should be fine as well.

In fact I bet the RRS is a little more stable at speed since it has smaller cross-sectional exposure to winds.
  • robnewsonrobnewson Member Posts: 3
    we have 22 on our rrs and it makes the look great. handling is not effected too badly (little stiffer) but hopeless in snow as you might expect. can't help you with the tires as the car in the shop again for complete collapse of the suspension - twice in 9 days and this time at 65mph - not fun.
    we have suffered the same problem twice in 9 days. first time at 30 mph which was ok but this time as 65 mph on the interstate - that was real hairy and could have been a disaster for us and others on the road. car drops without warning to the stops which means that the bodywork covers the front and rear tires = no steering, rear wheel walls shredded and car moves across freeway without ability to control. when vehicle was towed to rr dealership i noticed another vehicle with same issue. recall??????

Anyone else has this problem???
    in addition to suspension issues in previous post - the plastic covers to the upright on each side of the windshield have come off 5 times so far in 6000 miles. anyone else??
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    No, I don't think it handles in a "truck-like" manner at all. Very nice cornering, little roll. Plenty of power... the "regular mode" is nice and smooth and the "sport mode" is good for more aggressive driving. The fastest is in "manual mode" in which you can achieve the published 0-60 times.

My wife enjoys driving it with good visibility and easy handling.
    there is obviously a problem, without any questions or hesitation the dealer has agreed to replace the car.
    Are your problems common for the Range Rover Sport? I wouldn't want a disaster like this happening to my wife, and I'm hoping your car is a lemon.

I'm sure you're never going to be shopping at Land Rover again, but they may replace your car and you may end up having a satisfactory experience.

Just a thought.

;)
  • brugrebrugre Member Posts: 4
    you seem to have the same problems we had in our early lr3 hse. after 39 days in shop in 10 months dealer supported us in land rover taking back car with no cost to us if we took another car. we took a new ranger rover sport.most lr3 problems were in pre april 05 cars. no problem in new car since oct. but low mileage; only 5000! without dealer support the excange wot have been made. his insentive was selling another car!
    It's been six days since the last post!

This is happening in every single post room I go to!

Are my posts really that good? No one has a response?

;) :P ;)
    Go set up your image page - it's a good way to pass some time while waiting for responses. :shades:

All you need to do is sign in there with your Edmunds user name and password and you're off and running. Let's see some pics!

Steve, Host
  • dcuellardcuellar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 rr sport--about a month old. The headlights jiggle according to people driving ahead of me. Has anyone else had this problem. They say they can see them jiggle/move in their rearview mirror, and I can actually see them jiggle on the back of the car in front of me.
    I have heard of that happening on more then one occasion but never seen it myself. I think their is some kind of calibration or adjustment that can be made but since we have not had a sport with that problem I am not sure on the details of what needs to be done.
    they did replace the car, without any argument. I picked up the relacement yesterday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • blackpearl3blackpearl3 Member Posts: 3
    After 12 month owning one in Europe here are my coments:

The bads:
    * I couldn't get the Dynamic R. option installed on my model so the handling in curvy roads is bad, really bad, it tangles and everybody gets car sick including myself! :sick: ;
    * Bluetooth just died this week, still havn't figured out how;
    * Trunk door does not close properly and need extra help to close properly;
    * When BAck DVD entertainment fixed to the roof is on and either the wireless headphones or the music speakers are connected to it, every 5 minutes a loud noise caused by interference from mobile phone towers interrupts sound during 10 secs aprox.;
    * Last but not least DVD does not work on the GPS screen although I own a european market made for unit.

The goods:
    * I still love it!! unfortunately now that I am heading for my 3rd kid I'll probably have to switch it to something else... try to get back a Disco 2, 7 seats for example!! Disco 3? no way jose!

BlackPearl 3
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I have owned my black RRS Supercharged for about 9 months now. I haven't had any problems except for a bad wiper blade. The gas mileage averages 14, but I didn't expect higher. I previously had a Lexus RX 330, which I also liked. The RR is more fun to drive. I am a happy owner. :blush:
    I have an RX330 right now- and am looking at the HSE!

Please clear this up for me... does the Range Rover Sport drive dramatically differently in everyday life (turning radius, height, feel from the seat)?

I am cross-shopping it with the Porsche Cayenne S, and am not sure which to buy right now.

Favorite color in the Range Rover Sport: Giverny Green (light grey-green)

Cayenne S: Sand White (off-white)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    This happens in every single chat room I go to.

I asked a question, and of course, no one has posted anything since.

This happened to someone who posted on April 22 in the Audi Q7 post room also. It's happened to me in the Q7 room, "Ultimate AWD Sport Sedans" room, and Audi RS4 room.

Someone, please say something!

:sick: