Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,399
    on the horizon? I'm interested in the Passat. Cash for Clunkers (1990 BMW 325iA) program has given me the itch to buy. The vehicle (Passat, TSX V6 TECH, or Accord EXL-V6 NAV) will eventually replace my wife's '07 X3 when her lease is up next July. The vehicle has to fit our double stroller in the trunk with room to spare. The Passat is a fun car to drive. We almost leased it instead of the X3 2 years ago, but for an extra $25 per month I went with the X3.

I noticed they dropped the V6 & 4Motion models from the lineup this year. Are they going to put the Direct Injection engine from the A4 into the Passat for 2010?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• mikemartinmikemartin Posts: 205
    ny, the direct injection is already incorporated into the 09 Komfort Passats.

FWIW, we just dumped ours (2006 2.0T). Many problems, an engine that literally sounded like a John Deere, and the dealer telling us that oil consumption of a quart every 1,000 miles was 'normal.'

Needless to say, I have forever sworn off VW. I should have heeded all the warnings from friends and coworkers who warned us.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,987
    nyccarguy,

Beware of listening to small samples (good or bad). I'm sorry mike had a bad experience with his (first model year), but ours (2007) has been great.

VW has stripped down the Passat. If you want the higher end versions/bigger engine, you need to look at the Passat CC.
  • clark18clark18 Posts: 6
    My 06 2.0T started off with some problems, a defective trunk latch for example, which were quite annoying but since I started taking the car to Jim Ellis VW here in Atlanta the car has been great. I must say their service has improved almost beyond belief, I can't recommend them highly enough.
    My car was an early model, my fault as I did not look at the production date before I bought it, but performance and gas mileage have been really good all along. A steering column problem (replaced under warranty) took care of a sporadic starting problem that never quite left me stranded.
    Anyway, I have NOT sworn off VW and will seriously consider a 2010 GTI next year.
  • ashle18ashle18 Posts: 1
    My husband and I just purchased an 06 Passat. It seemed that the key fob was not working and the battery was dead. The salesman who helped is out went to the back to get the battery replaced, but then came back and said that he was told that the fob charges itself when it's in the ignition.

However, I drove over an hour to get home and when I arrived home, the fob still did not work. Is there a way to replace the battery? Or am I "charging" it wrong? The dealership is closed for the holidays and weekend, and I hate to leave my car out unlocked for that many days while waiting to contact them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • vajettavajetta Posts: 4
    2009 Passat Automatic. Anyone else getting blinded by the sun reflecting off of the highly polished chrome surrounding the gear selector? :shades:

I have to drive with a small towel when the sun is high because it so perfectly reflects in my eyes.

Any ideas on applying a film to it similar to the invisible bra, or the stuff you apply to your cell phones to protect it?

Any other ideas to knock down the high reflective nature? I even had a Sunguard film applied to my windshield and a 70% tint "eyebrow" along the top of the windshield, but still not getting the job done.

Thanks for any advice.
    2009 Passat Automatic. Anyone else getting blinded by the sun reflecting off of the highly polished chrome surrounding the gear selector?

Yeap, it's a problem on my 2007 as well. Luckily it only happens infrequently for me, so I haven't had to do anything about it.

I'm thinking the only real solution is to change that piece of trim. Not sure how feasible/cheap/easy that would be.
    Is it the same highly polished chrome look on previous years?

I guess if it were to change it's probably a different style.

For all the cars I looked at I tried hard to stay away from the plastic with the fake metal look. My previous cars that had this would get scratched very easily.
    Yes, it's the same one. Good luck.
    I have a 2009 Passat Komfort and it seems to cool very well. I pretty much set the dial to 72 and never touch it even on the hottest days :shades:

It's the White Gold Exterior with the Black interior.

I did pay for a premium tint job (35% tint darkest to be legal on the front and 20% tint the rest), and even had a Solar guard applied to windshield with an eyebrow on the top that comes down to middle of the rearview at 20% so I'm sure all of that helps a bunch too.

My only complaint is that it is a little loud when turned up to full speed.
  • My area seem to be full of used 06 passat with 2.0T for around 14k.
    I made an offer of a 06 w/Lux1 Package , Manual [i really want the manual to balance the blandness of my 07 Auto Camry] .From a few threads they seem bad , I am worried should i even buy one. The above one with 40k miles is offerred at 11.8 and i counter 10.8 and waiting.The 3 other ones are around 40k and are advertised at 14k.I will probabily offer 13k.

i would appreciate some help.
    I love my Passat Wagon '07. having said that, I would never buy NEW a first year model car. They just haven't had a chance to get the gremlins out.

But now it's a car with 40k miles. I'm assuming that you still get the remaining 8k factory warranty, right? If you need a bit of peace of mind, you could get an extended warranty.

Just one question, if 3 cars are in the $14k range, why is the other one so cheap? What is wrong with it? sometimes it is a case of 'you get what you pay for.'

good luck.
  • I just bought a used 2006 Passat 2.0T, which I have yet to take delivery of. 1 owner, clean carfax record, originally bought and serviced at the dealer I am buying it from with no issues. It will be my first VW. I took for granted that, being VW, "german engineering" reliability should be expected. I have just been browsing the web and came across several nightmare-like experiences regarding this car (several found in Edmund's consumer reviews). I am freaking out a little about this and would like to get further opinions from Passat owners. Thank you for your responses.
    Take a deep breath. No need to freak out. All cars from all makers have gremlins the first year. The good news is that most problems should've been taken care of during the warranty period.

You don't mention how many miles your Pasat has, so it might even have a bit of factory warrant. If you are worried, buy an extended warranty. Good luck.
  • Volkswagen is trying very hard to turn around the perception that they have issues, and it mostly comes down to the dealer when dealing with warranty items. Large problems can be made small by a good dealer who is determined to make things right for the customer, and inversely small problems can be made to seem much worse when dealing with a lousy dealer. Try one dealer if a warrantied issue comes up and if you don't like their service, then take it to another. If out of warranty consider buying a 3rd party extended warranty, or rely on your mechanic who already treats you with good service.
    If out of warranty consider buying a 3rd party extended warranty,

I disagree with this. I would buy the VW extended warranty. It's called Real Driver. You can get them for used VW's too. Shop around, you can buy them from any dealer.
  • Thanks for your responses. The car has just over 45k miles on it. I still have a couple thousand miles left on the factory warranty and then a 2yr/24k mi ("pre-loved" certified). The car runs great (I've only had it for two days) and as I said all service record were available from the dealer. So I guess that gives me some piece of mind for now, I just got alarmed at all the lemon-like reviews I saw online.

By the way, what's the deal with the rear cupholder in this thing? It keeps popping off but nothing seems to be broken.
    I just got alarmed at all the lemon-like reviews I saw online.

Keep in mind that people with no problems do not tend to post online reviews.

My cup holdes work fine. Sorry.
  • I recently purchased a used 06 passat 2.0T with thr LUX package and didn't do my research since my 04 passat was AWESOME. After seeing and reading all the unreliable ratings and reviews on the 2006 Passat...I'M SCARED!!! Is this car really that bad? I've had it for several days and no issues but I'm really concerned now. I did purchase an additional 4yr/ 98,000 warranty on it since it has about 49k miles. Should i really worry about my purchase?
    Relax. Most of the problems were due to the 2006's being the first model year. The problems should've been addressed during the warranty period.

None of the problems reported (AFAIK) are safety related, or compromise the long term health of the car.

In addition, you bought an extended warranty. So, take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy your new car.

Finally, keep in mind that most people who post are people who experience problems. Even then, the sample here is pretty small.