Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• jtfordjtford Member Posts: 12
    The lowest octane gas used in Germany and at least as much of Europe I have visited (Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway) is 93 octane. Their Premium/Super is 98 octane. As such, by requiring the use of 93 octance gas here in the US, they don't have to reengineer their engines which are designed to run on 93 octane, which is Europe's "regular" gas.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Europe and the U.S. do not use the same "Octane" rating. European 98 is roughly comparable to U.S. 93.

There are two different methods of calculating detonation resistance, RON and MON. The two are as follows:

RON: "Research Octane Number" tests the measure of a specific fuels' detonation resistance at a fairly low load and low RPM and with cool fuel. All in all, not a very good test for determining real world anti-knock properties. That having been said, this is the most common octane rating found on fuel pumps world wide, including Europe.

MON: "Motor Octane Number" tests the measure of a specific fuels' detonation resistance under load, at higher RPMs and with pre-heated fuel. Much more real world. Typically MON will score any given fuel about 10 octane points below RON.

So, what do we use here in the U.S.A.? Good question. In their infinite wisdom, the "Powers that be" have decided that we will use the average of the two. Hence European 98 octane fuel becomes 93 octane fuel here in the States (and in Canada too if I'm not mistaken).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jtfordjtford Member Posts: 12
    You learn something new everyday! I had no idea that octane was measured differently b/w Europe and here. Now I know what that "(R+M)/2" means on the gas pumps here. LOL...

For additional reading:

Wikipedia has a nice treatment of the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Google search will turn up lots of sites discussing this: http://www.google.ca/search?q=europe+octane
    Glad I could help. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • selimselim Member Posts: 6
    How true! Recently I was in the market for a new car, I test drove the Passat and visited two dealerships. At the one I test drove the Passat, the salesperson gave me the fob, showed the car and that's it! He didn't come with us (my wife was there too) and his only follow up was an email the day after. Whereas the other one showed every trick in their books. This one even had the nerve to claim that the ads and the prices I saw on the newspaper probably belonged to a Jetta instead of a Passat. I didn't end up buying the Passat but I still think it's a beautiful piece of machinery.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "you ask me what time it is and I tell you how to build a watch. "

Or (I have been accused of) how to build a swiss watch factory . .

(sigh)

- Ray
    Rarely a MOFW . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The ratings methods there and here are not the same. Their premium and our premium behave the same in an engine. Our 93 is "our" 93. It is not 5 points less than "their" 98.

Essentially, their 98 and our 93 are the same "octane" despite the differences in numbers.

I know there are those who are in favor of differences, but there are areas of our ways of doing things that would seem to benefit all of us if they were made consistent.

At least we use the same kind of "STOP" signs there and here.

We are NOT using European regular when we use North American Premium is the net net of this. :shades:
    As per usual, you got it right and you got it first.

What Shipo said!
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    i was driving my 06 2.0T yesterday and I noticed an orange flashing signal on the left set of warning signals. I also saw a message in the information window that said " Steering Wheel Column Lock, Visit Workshop. I drove with it flashing and when I parked I could not get the key fob out. I pushed it in several times and then turned the wheel a bit and it came out. I looked through the volumes of my owners manual and could not find that message and would like to know what visit workshop means? I called the service department and not a suprise they had no idea what visit workshop meant. I did ask him what would happen if I got stuck and the key fob does not come out. He told me he heard and is not sure if its true that if you press the shift lever button 3x it releases the key. Can anyone comment on this. As always, Thanks
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I don't know about your particular issue, but I do know if you don't get the shifter all the way back in park the key fob will not come out. On a couple of occasions ours has not wanted to release and each time a slight bump to the shifter just to make sure it was in Park was all it took to release the key.
  • grandpa1grandpa1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 3.6 Passat that developed steering problems at 3000 miles. By problem I mean that I had a serious wobble under 45 when accelerating. After much ado the dealer installed a new axel but now that I have about 2500 miles on the car since the repair it is doing the same thing. Anyone else experience anything like this.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    Birdboy,

Would you believe that this morning our car did the exact same thing you described? Same steering wheel warning light and same message on MFD. However, I had no problems getting the key fob out and when I got back in the car I checked to make sure the steering column tilt/telescope handle was locked in place, cranked the car and no light. I'm going to pick up my son from school in a few minutes so I'll check it again. Let me know if you discover anything on this issue.

Jeff
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    my steering lock warning,visit workshop message has not happened again thank goodness however what does visit workshop mean?? It is nowhere in the manual.Does it mean take it in for service, if so why then does it not say that??
  • pierpier Member Posts: 79
    "just how bad (arrogant to the point of implying that you should feel privileged to allow them to work on your car, sell you parts you don't need and then overcharge you for the entire job) the service was at Joe Heidt"

Thanks Shipo. I had the exact negative experience with Joe Heidt. So it's not me who rubs them the wrong way...

Regards
    Pier
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    however what does visit workshop mean?? It is nowhere in the manual.Does it mean take it in for service, if so why then does it not say that??

It's those wacky, fun loving Germans!!

It's means take it to the dealer. Visit Workshop is one of those idiosyncricies.
    Nope, it ain't you. ;-) What I find amazing is that they're still in business seven years after I decided to avoid them like the plague, even more so given the seemingly high levels of service provided by other (non-VW) dealerships in the area.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Front (yes FRONT) = 38psi (cold)
    Rear (I am not getting this backwards) = 35psi (cold)

There's a scientific calculation involving the weight of the car, any modifications to the suspension and FWD/RWD that supports your recommendations.
    A few weeks ago, I went to JH. I had a warranty issue for which I wanted a second opinion before I took it to my dealer. I was given the third degree as to why I did not buy the car from them and then accused of sabotaging my own car. Ultimately they said they would repair the issue if I paid them for it. All I wanted was a second opinion. Arrogant, classless and careless. I included them in my list as a placebo.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    "workshop" may be a Brit version of "garage". Some Germans speak English, but it is a British version of it - so they often do not realize those vocabulary differences. Especially that in Europe factory-authorized service does not need to be at a dealership.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I see you guys complaining about those guys - why not writing a nice letter to both GM of the dealer and VWofA?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

"...why not writing a nice letter to both GM of the dealer and VWofA?"

A couple of reasons:

1) My issues with that dealership were between 1997 and 1999, meaning that they are ancient history.
    2) I now live four states and well over 200 miles away so they aren't likely to be an issue for me again anytime soon, even if I do wind up driving another VW.
    3) Indirectly at least, I owe a debt of gratitude to the kind folks Joe Heidt as by refusing to service my car (at least without massively overcharging me), they saved me several thousand dollars (long story).

See the "Second Incident":
    shipo, "Mileage Fraud!! Odometer was rolled back!!! What 2 do?" #42, 30 Jan 2006 11:19 am

There is also a little further analysis two posts later.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Several messages had to be removed - implied profanities are not okay. See the Membership Agreement (or email me) for further info.
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    I am interested in a 3.6l 4Motion wagon. Searching dealer inventory in the Washington, DC area, I find that almost every 3.6l is configured the same way (package 1 and floor mats) and in only 3 colors (artic blue silver, granite green, blue graphite). And most dealers, if they have any 3.6l 4Motions at all, only have 2-3 vehicles. Are people seeing better and more varied inventory in other part of the country?
  • stonehengestonehenge Member Posts: 17
    I purchased a 2006 Passat 3.6 with lux #2 and nav 1,100 miles ago. In those 1,100 miles the car has been to the service department 5 times for various maladies. It has had a circuit board replaced that controls the backlights on the steering wheel, each of the xenon headlights have had to be replaced at different times, the nav system had to be replaced and now the coup d'gras... the engine needs to be replaced as the bolt that held the harmonic balancer in place fell off and the crankshaft is a distorted shadow of its former self causing unknown internal engine damage.

The issue is, Do I have legal grounds to demand a refund or a new car? The service manager and my service advisor have both told me not to accept a new engine should that be what VWoA decides is the next course of action. The service folks said that in their opinion I am entitled to a refund, should I so desire. They told me that I am so "green" on this that I should have no difficulty in getting VW to buy the car back.

I have 2 questions for some more educated minds than mine. Do I have the right to ask them to buy the car back? What did the service people mean when they said that I am so "green" on this issue?

Thanks for any input and / or advice.
    You can ask for whatever you want but thus far you have not met the guidelines for a lemon law buyback. VWoA's warranty says they'll fix the car, not replace it.

That being said, if you work with them reasonably they'll probably arrange for a new vehicle at no out of pocket expense to you. Be firm, but polite and you should be able to get a new vehicle out of it.

As for "green", they probably mean it's a new vehicle.
    I was in a situation where so many minor issues were occurring with my B6 that I decided to hand the car in at 8K miles. Unfortunately, I was not so "green" but the sales staff felt so bad they bent over backwards to get me a good trade-in value and a good price on a new B6. End result: I walked away from a possible disaster for $3.5K. My advice: make waves with VWoA and you may be able to walk away from your current car unscathed. It sounds like you want another B6?
  • stonehengestonehenge Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you think that a lot of the problems are first year teething pains? This is the first VW that I have ever driven, let alone owned and I really enjoy driving the Passat. I would more than likely purchase another Passat should they offer to buy my current car back. I would also be very pleased if they would offer to exchange it for a new car with the same equipment.

I have spoken with the customer care advocates at VW and they are very much aware of my preference for resolving the ongoing problems with this car. I am trying to be steadfast without being rude or overbearing but the frustration continues to mount as my car has now been in the dealer's service dep't. for 8 days with no decision from VWoA as to what they plan to do. Is there anyone else to speak with at VWoA other than customer care? My service advisor at the dealership has told me that his boss, the service manager, has told VW that he doesn't want to try and repair the car. He wants them to buy it back.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to express my disappointment, as well. After reading a recent article (i think it was C&D?) on the Passat, I thought "hmmm... looks nice, looks big, good mileage, good base price." Well, then I went to their website to price one I might like, only to find out I can't get ANY good options without losing the manual tranny! good grief! That's just wrong. What the heck does a moonroof have to do with the transmission?? Ridiculous.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Definitely first year problems exist in the B6 but not a severe as yours.
  • carynccarync Member Posts: 14
    Fortunately in the Raleigh-Durham area we have a new VW dealer--Leith VW--very professional and great people work there. Southern States VW in Raleigh and Durham was typical of the old VW biz--waitingrooms like a bus station and lousy customer service! Also Maxwell VW in Burlington 35 miles west is a great dealership. Just avoid Southern States
  • daveagrdaveagr Member Posts: 4
    i have 2001 passat, 55k miles. i bought it a year ago its been nothing but problems some minor and some that the car had to be overnite in the shop, can anybody give me any advice ? :lemon:
    Sorry to hear you are having a lot of problems - can you be a little more specific about what you'd like us to respond to? What problems can we try to help you with?
    overnight? geesh ... don't complain about that to people who have their car in the shop for weeks waiting for parts or a regional tech of some sort to come check it out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Let's find out what the issues are, okay? No need to jump on a first time poster - let's just see if we can help.
    oh, no, i'm really not trying to jump on the person ... i don't think. just pointing out that overnight is nothing to get upset about. I've had my car in overnight for regular maintenance stuff.

Hi daveagr - I'm sorry, I missed the fact that your first post was in the wrong discussion. We're talking about the 2006 Passats here. I moved your post to the right place. Here's the link: daveagr, "Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier" #8063, 17 Apr 2006 7:48 pm.

Good luck.
    Wow! Just saw a photo of the new Passat 4 door coupe!

Now, I know not if this is coming to VW USA -- but it is the Mercedes 4 door coupe treatment done on the new Passat.

To my eyes this is the prettiest Passat ever!

I kow this new Passat has gotten a lot of bad press lately -- but c'mon, this is a beauty.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    according to some magazines, the 4 dr coupe will be a replacement for the phaeton in the usa and unfortunately, they might price it accordingly :(
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    You mean this one

Passat Coupe

280hp and AWD in that car…even with an automatic would make an appealing package.

CD had quarter mile in 14.3 101mph (FWD & auto) –(0-60, 5.9)
    It would NOT be appealing if it is priced anywhere near the Phaeton.

Despite my personal belief and rooting for VW to move upscale, I would say, "not gonna happen" even if they try to price it a little south of the Phaeton.

I think a fully, totally, completely equipped version would still have to have an MSRP starting with a "4" at this point in time.

I thought $60,000+ Phaetons would be no problem -- boy was I wrong.

Yet high buck A8's (with 7 or 8 as the starting number) sell "steadily" if not in high volumes.

One of the guys I work with went with the Passat 2.0T over the Audi A4 -- he calls it an A5.

I've not driven the thing, but he may be right.

Of course one of the other folks I work with went with the A4 because the lease price was less than a similarly priced Passat (Passat was somewhat lower in MSRP but higher in mo pay for 36 or 39 month term.)

No one asked me, but the Passat does have "the look" to be a winner. The auto press however seems less than enthusiastic about it, for reasons I don't quite understand.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    well, I'm just guessing here but since the Mercedes CLS at $85k were selling like hotcakes and Porsche will have a version of 4 dr coupe going at $95k to $105k (read this somewhere in mags), it's not unlikely that VW will price it at $60k. Let's hope I'm way off on that and maybe we can get the Passat coupe at $35k :P
    CD’s test car had:
    3.6 V6 & Auto
    -sport package #2
    (sport suspension, 12-way power leather sport seats, 3-spoke leather steering wheel with Tiptronic controls, fog lights, rain-sensing wipers, heated front seats, dual climate control, bixenon headlights, and Dynaudio premium sound system)
    -DVD Nav
    -Rear Airbags
    and it came up to 38K (MSRP)

It’s my understanding that the new 4 door coupe will still have all the same content, drive-train etc.

So essentially it’ll be the same car only “cooler” looking.

They may force a higher level of content, such as only V6, lux packages etc, but I don’t see it selling as a different model line …or more importantly I don’t see it selling for much more than the current V6 Passat loaded.

I think you’d want to gain exclusivity with the coupe…and avoid advertising like they do for the regular Passat (Starting at $22.950*); although I do see the appeal of a base coupe with the 2.0T (chipped) and DSG.

Once you start getting to the mid 40’s I see the competition getting tighter.

Who knows…it’s VW we’re talking about...all the crystal balls in the world couldn’t foresee their decisions.
    My understanding is that the Passat 4 door coupe will be priced in the $35-40K range. It is technically a replacement for the Phaeton in North America as it will be at the top of the VW ladder but the ladder won't be as tall.
    Well the pictures I saw of it make it look quite the dish!
  • stephangstephang Member Posts: 9
    Maybe this has already been discussed somewhere, but I was wondering. I recently test drove the Passat Wagon 2.0T and was quite surprised by the size of the windshield wiper: either I am sitting too high or they are too small for the windshield, because when I turned them on, the driver wiper only covered the exact portion right below my eye level! Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Thanks,
  • z_manz_man Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if display has both miles and kilometers available like the old ones? Salesman I asked about it did not have any idea and I did not have a time to play around to see it for my self.

Thanks!

Z_Man
    Does anyone know when new Golf will be available. Dealers here in Phoenix area are telling me sometimes this summer but seems that nobody know exactly when.

Thanks!

Z_Man
    This is the Passat blog. . . .ummm why not post the ? on the. . .well you figure it out.
    Do you mean this display...looks like no

I know Mark, I made a mistake. I was posting a question for new Passat and by mistake asked for a new Golf on this forum. Thanks for reminding me!

Z_Man