Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "By the way, my Audi dealer sells oil changes in "5 packs" for $169. Turbo cars slightly higher. You cannot beat the deal! Most dealer have this kind of "sales" every few months."

A $34 oil change? No thanks! Ten to one odds that your dealer is using non-synthetic oil that doesn't even come close to meeting the VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 oil specifications. Ugh, not in my new car!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I've seen several at Boston Volkswagen in Allston and Wellesley Volkswagen. Both 2.0's and 3.6's.

Drove a 3.64motion last week, very nice ride, but in the end I opted for the sedan.

Good luck, they are great cars!
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Right, if we buy your story, Audi is putting cheap oil in cars they have to fix under warranty for 48 mo or 50K miles. Not a chance!
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    Colonial Volkswagen, Westborough, MA had no clue about proper oil when I asked them about it in 2003. Sludge letter come out 1.5 year later but I did not check if the knowledge has changed.
    My current dealer, Norm Wagner in Fitchburg, MA, used proper Castrol oil when I left my case of Mobil 1 0W40 at home.

Krzys

PS "Not a chance!" - I wish it is true. Some people cut corners without looking for consequences.
    "Right, if we buy your story, Audi is putting cheap oil in cars they have to fix under warranty for 48 mo or 50K miles. Not a chance!"

Personally I don't really care if you buy my story or not. The fact remains that Audi-USA and Audi-YourLocalDealership are not one in the same. What does your local dealer care if an engine or two gets sludged to death, it's Audi-USA that would need to pony up to get them fixed. The flip side is that they get no end of grief from owners when presented with a bill for $100 for an oil change. Path of least resistance? Do a cut rate special with cheap bulk oil that doesn't even come close to the VW oil specs.

Think about it, the retail price of fully synthetic oil that meets VW's oil specs (and to the best of my knowledge, ONLY a few fully synthetic oils meet the specs and NONE of the mineral based or hydro-cracked oils even come close) along with the retail price of the filter will easily meet or exceed the price they are charging for the oil change. The last time I checked, dealerships were not in the business of providing free labor, free shop time and discount prices on anything.

For my part, logic dictates that any dealer that charges $34 for an oil change is in fact using cheap oil and maybe not even replacing the filter.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Hello.
    I am a owner of a new 2006 3.6 Passat. It was purchased on Feb. 23, 2006.

I have the nappa leather in beige. This morning when I was about to get into my vehicle I noticed that the leather seat on the driver side appeared worn down. It looked as if someone had rubbed it down with a dark cleaner and then wiped it off. The seat appears worn and dirty.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and what my recourse should be.

Thanks. Stormy
    Well I am on my second Audi and no trouble. They use Amsoil. The Audi change interval is once a year or 12K. and yes they change the filter. That is easy to tell by two methods. One if they left one year old dirty oil in the filter, the new oil would be dirty looking in a day. It still looks like it came out of the can after a month of driving. Secondly it is not beyond normal human skills to look and see if the filter is new after I get home from the dealer.

Nothing else you could tell me would be of interest to me here.
    "They use Amsoil."

ROTFLMAO!

Sorry dude, gotta call your bluff here.

The only oil that Amsoil makes that meets the VW 502.00, 505.00, 505.01 standards is their European Car Formula Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFL). That oil retails for $6.85 per quart in single unit quantities, $81 for 12 quarts ($6.75 per quart), $640 for a 30 gallon drum ($5.33 per quart), or $1,084 for a 55 gallon drum ($4.93 per quart). Even if they were passing that stuff through to you at cost you're still talking nearly as much for the oil alone as what you are claiming that the whole oil change costs. It seems, your story has a few holes in it.

As for the oil filter, I wasn't suggesting that they didn't replace it, I was suggesting that they are cutting corners somewhere, meaning either they are using cheap oil and/or not replacing the filter.

Regarding your claims that "the oil would be dirty looking in a day", hmmm, not in my experience, especially if they suck the oil out of it and put it back on. Think about it, the dirtier an oil filter gets, the better it filters, right up to the point where the bypass opens up. An argument can easily be made that suggests that changing your oil filter every oil change can do more harm to your engine than if you change it every other time. That having been said, please don't think that I subscribe to said argument because I don't.

So, to take this full circle, I'll go back to my earlier statement, "Ten to one odds that your dealer is using non-synthetic oil that doesn't even come close to meeting the VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 oil specifications."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • DO NOT BUY A PASSAT!! I have an issue with the gas tank getting a gash in it last Friday from a simple rock or something in the road and the dealer and the local VW rep would not honor this as a waranty claim and they were very unprofessional when I showed them an clipping about defective gas tanks. I have already filed a claim with the NHTSA and contacted local media. DO NOT BUY A PASSAT!!!
    I am not a VW owner or dealer and if the tank is defective then VW should honor it. But if it is a road hazard thing they won't. Stuff happens but not all of it is the mfg. fault. But your own ins. mightpay for it. My wife ran over a large engine part that fell off a truck. It tore out the oil pan and the tranny bottom. The car was older but our ins. carrier totaled it and gave us basic blue book price.
    Of course this will not help much if you have a $500 deductible or such. Good luck!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    Not meaning to provoke, but do you really think a rock put a gash your gas tank?

I thought for NHTSA to get involved you would have to prove a defect in design.

Perhaps there is a design flaw…but I would imaging the gas tank was thoroughly tested. Either way I would still expect the dealership to be compassionate with the situation.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,047
    The tire and wheel of my Audi quattro met a muffler on Interstate 275. The replacement, repair, tow and rental costs exceeded $900.

I have $250 deduct.

This was not Audis fault.

I am certainly no expert, but your situation would seem on first blush NOT to be a mfgr's issue. I'll cop to a 50 50 chance knowing what can be posted here makes this difficult for all of us.

In my case, I found an interesting differentiation in the way policies are paid:

If I hit the muffler, it was my responsibility.

If, however, the muffler fell off of a vehicle and continued in motion (airborne, perhaps) and hit me, my deduct went away.

I didn't know the answer and tho these years later I keep playing it over in my mind, I went with the $250 deduct "on the collision" insurance, since I honestly could not prove it was a "comprehensive" claim.

I hit a pot hole in KY once and filed the required paperwork with the state and they, on the other hand, did pay $250 which considering the wheel was on a new Audi A8 was way over $1,000 for the wheel, tire, all wheel alignment and the second tire required to keep the tires at the same newness.

There may be many reasons to NOT BUY A PASSAT -- I just don't think this is one of them. Sorry. :sick:
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Sounds like you had some bad luck......sorry. But, I don't see how this is VW's fault. If they were rude to you that is another story.
  • ricwhitericwhite Posts: 292
    I own a 2000 VW Passat V6. Test drove a 2006 Passat V6 AWD. My impressions:

Overall the 2006 was disappointing.

My 2000 Passat seems to have a much "smoother" ride. Over bumps and cracks it glides with maybe a hollow thumping sound. The 2006 Passat over cracks and bumps rattled through me and had much sharper "clangs".

My 2000 Passat was not as fast -- especially on the low end. The 2006 was fast off the line and through the range. I would estimate my 2000 Passat to travel 0-60 in the upper 7s while the 2006 would be in the mid 6s.

However, my 2000 Passat is very smooth in acceleration and shifting. The engine has a nice "purr" sound. The 2006 had a "whine" at low speeds and when the throttle was pressed, it growled loudly. It was a little disconcerting and not nearly as smooth.

In the 2000 Passat, I feel more "connected" to the road. I can "feel" the steering and know where the edges of the car are. In the 2006 Passat, I felt I was "in" it but not really connected. The steering felt aloof and when I looked out the windshield, I couldn't really tell where the car began or ended.

The 2000 Passat is not nearly as technologically advanced, but it actually feels more "solid". The 2006 Passat inside felt. . . cheap. I couldn't ever get really comfortable in the seats in the 2006. I tried for several minutes, but it just didn't "feel" right. It was so much better when I sat back down in my 2000 Passat.

The styling is a toss up -- which is a huge negative for the 2006 which is about 7 years newer. The new styling just doesn't appeal to me much. I cringed when I walked around the 2006 and looked at if from all angles. Sure, my 2000 Passat is very dated. But I have kept it well conditioned and added some attractive features. It actually looks more . . . "sporty."

I walked away from the test drive disappointed. It was lower on my list, but I felt a need to give it a chance since it has AWD which IS a selling point for me. Except for the BMW, the other cars on my list do not have AWD.

I'm still considering:

Buick Lucerne
    Hyundai Azera
    Acura TL
    BMW 325xi
    Lincoln Zephyr

Front runner right now (yes, this will blow you away) is the . . . Azera. No kidding.

I still need to test drive the Lucerne and Zephyr.
  • ricwhitericwhite Posts: 292
    DO NOT BUY A PASSAT!! I have an issue with the gas tank getting a gash in it last Friday from a simple rock or something in the road and the dealer and the local VW rep would not honor this as a waranty claim

Hmmm....Doesn't sound logical to me. Are you saying that if a somebody dropped a bowling ball off an overpass and it landed on the front hood of your new Passat and it smashed it in and caused irreversible engine and transmission damage that the damage should be covered under WARRANTY? Hmmm. . . .

Sounds to me like damage that should be dealt with by the insurance company.
    Hey, if your looking at the BMW 325 xi, look at the new RAV4 V6 and save $12,000. No luxuray but lots of AWD SUV for the $s.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,047
    No luxury but $12,000 less.

If you are looking for luxury, then, why bother looking at the RAV4?!?

On the other hand if you aren't interested in a near Premium sedan like the 3 series, don't bother to test it, go straight for the RAV4.

And this has what to do with Passats?

Now, if you look at an AWD Passat and an AWD Bimmer 3 and spec them to comparable prices and/or comparable content and then compare the prices, well that seems to be a conversation we could have.

:confuse:

Did you, perhaps, mean to be suggesting to spec a BMW X3 SAV next to an RAV4? That makes a little more sense, but then, doesn't that still beg the question what the Passat connection is?

:surprise:

Hey if you want a meal, try a hamburger from McD's and save $22.95 over the steak from Morton's.

What? :confuse:

The new Passat is many things, but it is probably not a direct competitor with ANY SUV regardless of price any more than a banana is a competitor for bread other than the broad conclusion that one might reach, i.e., they are both food.

The new Passat all dooded up, might be called an Audi A5, might be an alternative to an Avalon or Camcord or perhaps the newest and nicest Korean from Hyundai (nicely equipped for UNDER $30K, but, as yet, no AWD.)

Some may cross shop an Audi A4 3.2 and a Passat 3.6 4Motion, beats me. You do get a larger car with the Passat, but perhaps you lose some performance over the A4, especially in the handling department. Then again the Passat has more guts and grunt at this moment than the 3.2 from the four-rings guys.

The VW dealers keep improving, and they need to, for the new VW's appear to be s-l-o-w-l-y moving upstream. Or so it seems -- the reports on the new Jetta are downright gushing, for instance. The Passat is, to my eye, a good looking car, too. Oh go on now. . . . :blush:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    The new Passat is many things, but it is probably not a direct competitor with ANY SUV regardless of price any more than a banana is a competitor for bread other than the broad conclusion that one might reach, i.e., they are both food.

heh... :) :)
    I was making a simple comment.
    Well the Passat and RAV4 are competitors for me. The 2.0T wagon is in the same price range as the RAV4 sport V6 and provides usefull hauling space while being better outfitted etc. But the reliability reports are a concern