Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mb-s65mb-s65 Posts: 29
    Or are you guys waiting for GM's "rebates" on these overpriced units....
  • GM sent me plenty of those - $750 dealer rebate, $2500 GM card topoff promotion and $500 military. What I am waiting on is for GM to deliver Cobalt coupes to dealers. Cleverly GM will not deliver these until after Jan. 3 2005 when all these rebates expire - at which point I will buy a Scion Tc.
  • I dont think the cars overpriced compared to Civics or Corollas, but the market perception because of the Cavalier is that Chevy compacts are sub-par. This will hurt resale so yes i'll wait for rebates.
  • This is where GM is going to go wrong because I was actually considering the same thing. I have been waiting since advertised on commercials and now they said maybe not until late March early April. So I am also looking into the Scion Tc.
  • I have seen it in ads for months, now I want to drive one before I get excited about the car. I see it as a good alternative to the Civic, since that car went to struts....

Maybe I will keep my Impreza, but I want to buy American if I can, and the car looks a step up from that junk J before it...
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    Just placed an order last night. Apparently they don't make many manuals so this one had to go to the factory. Expect delivery in four weeks. Final price to be determined depending on applicable rebates/incentives effective on delivery. MSRP is $17,775 and dealer is offering $16,276 less whatever rebate is available at the time.

Painless process, no BS from the salesman or the closer. No attempt for undercoating, scotchguarding, armor protecting, etc. Nice experience.
  • Good luck with your new car (when you get it) The price seems reasonable since dealer cost on this vehicle does not give a lot of room to negotiate.
    I am waiting for the supercharged version. Hopefully these cobalts will hold their value better than the cavaliers. Let us know how you like the vehicle after you drive it for a while
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    I won't be driving the car. It's for the kid's last year of college and beyond. The '95 Neon he currently has (since '97) doesn't inspire a lot of confidence anymore though it owes us nothing. Parental worry is a strong force.
  • brianmabrianma Posts: 17
    > at which point I will buy a Scion Tc.

Have you actually driven one? While the TC looks good and seems like it should perform great on paper, it doesn't. The 2.4L engine is very course at high RPM and doesn't like to be revved. The interior is also a bit on the cheap side. Compare the corners around the roof pillars and headliner to the Cobalt (heck even the Focus) and you'll see where Toyota saved the money to price the TC so low. And you'll pay MSRP at most Toyota dealers for the car which makes it less of a value. The Mazda 3 and Cobalt offer much more for the out the door price than the TC.
  • I also just ordered a cobalt LS coupe. I am very excited for it to get to me, not many people have one yet and I think it is going to be a great car. I did get a $1500 rebate, but I would have bought the car anyway. I drove a cavalier before this car, and while I was going to get a civic, I am very pleased that chevy came out with a sportier and better equipped car.
  • richards38richards38 Posts: 606
    Anyone who might consider a well equipped Cobalt at a price of $17,000+ should think again and drive the Cobalt after driving a Honda Accord LX.

The Accord is larger (so harder to park) but it's a much better car than most compacts and the price might be almost the same. The Accord is likely to hold its value much better than the Cobalt, too.

The Accord LX has standard side curtain airbags, ABS, and many other features that might be extra-cost on the Cobalt.

But don't rely on my opinion--just drive the Accord after you test the Cobalt and see if the Cobalt still makes sense ;) ...........Richard
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    $18K Cobalts are discounted to $15K in Chicago area. If I were to buy one, I would qualify for an additional $2,600 in incentives including GM Card.
    Accord LX automatic is selling for $18K.
    The Accord is nice....however, this IS the Cobalt topic.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Supplier pricing is HIGHER than invoice minus last months rebates in most situations. It would cost more for a Cobalt in June than it would have in May with rebate and Hot Button. Employee discount for everyone may be good for GM, it is not great for the consumer.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I almost bought a Cadillac STS 5/31,and June prices appear to be higher. The GM site says no other incentives apply,despite what the Yahoo article implied. I also wonder if no additional dealer discount can be expected with this new pricing idea.
  • stan6201stan6201 Posts: 25
    I just got an ls coupe loaded with the 1sb sport package, leather and all the audio options. It drives great, feels great and the audio is fantastic. About $2.4k under msrp -$500 rebate -$2250 gmac credit card rebate. Paradise Chev in Temecula, CA treated me right and had the only car with the equipment and color (burnt orange with side air bags) in SOCAL. So far I think I got a great deal on a very good car and just can't believe how good the Pioneer speakers sound. :P
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Posts: 23
    Just bought a brand new cobalt with absolutely no options. I am so happy with it after my first 1000 miles. I paid $8999 as a smartbuy and think it is the BEST car I could have gotten for that little money.
  • any updates? everyone like their cobalt.. i am going to buy mine tommorow.. it is a great alternative to the many other cars i looked at.. Mazda seems to try to charge a lot for nothing.. and no rebates or incentives.. im excited to bring home the cobalt..
  • how are cobalts priced so low up there? thats insane i gotta find out from my dealer if i can get that price for mine. are you part of some special group or something for big discounts? in VA if i bought mine at 18k with the dealers cash allowances of 1500 id be payin even more even with that discount.
    Don't let the name fool you. I am from NY but I was in Texas when I bought my Cobalt this summer. It was a GREAT deal and it was advertised in the Dallas Morning News. Remember it was a car with NO OPTIONS which means a 5spd stick shift. It was just what my son wanted however. After putting over 5K miles on it I can tell you that the car is great. No problems whatsoever. Never needed to go back to the dealer. We get 38mpg on the highway around 26 city type driving. Very satisfied.
    I don't know why this car was so cheap but it must have been the loss leader that they advertised to get people in the door. They did try to upsell me but didn't give much problem when I insisted that the ad car was just what I wanted.
    A big rebate was because of agreeing to the smartbuy way of financing. The rebate was 2750. They now only offer $1800 rebate for the 2006 model.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I am trying to figure out what kind of mileage to expect if I get a Cobalt stick shift. The best mileage I have ever had is 35 mpg - from a Scion xA stickshift and from a couple of Dodge Neon stickshifts. I have had the same commute during the last 5 years, almost all freeway with some slow and go sections. I got 30 mpg with a couple of stick shift Golf's, and currently get 31.5 mpg with a Focus ZX3 with the California PZEV 2.0 liter.

Your report of 38 mpg freeway is on the high end of things, but in line with individual reports on the fueleconomy.gov website. Can you explain a little about your methodology - are you reporting the freeway mileage based on the trip computer, or based on consistent fillups and manual calculation? Is this based on a couple of long trips? Is the city mileage based on a commute? Just curious, not doubting.
    I will be happy to share my MPG methodology, I agree that only with that understanding do MPG numbers mean much. The 38 mpg I report is based on fillup to fillup calculation of long trips that are near 100% highway driving. I view this number as approaching the best you could anticipate barring major downhill driving or driving with a significant wind at your back for extended periods of time. It is interesting to note that my calculations have always been within .5mpg of the computer display the car calculates itself. I did not have much confidence until I verified this amount over at least a month of driving.

My city MPG report is a commute type calculation and is much less meaningful since each tankful has its own special circumstances. Weather, traffic, extra highway driving all have served to vary the mpg by 2-4mpg.

I still love the car and am please with the mpg for a car of this size and price.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    Make sure to share this info in our general Chevrolet Cobalt discussion - since this one focuses on pricing, others may miss your message in here.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Im trying to help my brother get reliable transportation for a low lease payment (he is a college student) - looking at $1000 total out of pocket an $200.month or less - any info appreciated..Thanks
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    kirstie h.....
    I notice that there is a $1000.00 rebate on the Cobalt and another $500.00 incentive. The $500.00 incentive...Is that added to the $1000.00 if you finance through GMAC??? or what do you have to do to get that $500.00 extra???
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    You don't have to do anything to get the extra $500... From the Edmunds incentive page... it is a customer rebate..

2006 Cobalt

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    kyfdx,
    Thanks for the fast response.
    Here is one man's opinion on GM in general and the Cobalt in particular.

How dumb does GM think we are? Today they just announced a reduction in prices (MSRP). The last incentive round had a rebate of $1000 on a Cobalt. Now they have reduced the price of the car by $1000 and eliminated the rebate. Do they really think that this will stimulate sales? It will if we buyers are stupid and fall for the advertisements that will come out telling us of all the prices they have cut. WHAT CUT? Looks like business as usual to me. GM puts an inflated MSRP on their vehicles then comes up with quarterly reductions of one sort or another that usually amount to the same value. This is very confusing to the buyers and has them waiting for a better deal to come along. Here is a simple idea. Build a good product, price it fairly, treat customers with respect, stand behind your product, and advertise your business philosophy. Customers just might become just what you want LOYAL!

I, for one, am insulted by the deal of the month club idea and the short term business philosophy that GM takes concerning sales and service.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    At the end of the day, shopping for a car involves, well, comparison shopping - using internet tools and services, checking MRSP's and histories of sales and rebates, and actually pounding the pavement. There's no "magic bullet."

One aspect of car buying is the "percentage of residual values" thrown around. American cars get a black eye for not holding their value - but maybe they do better than the guides indicate, if you take into account actual selling price and not MSRP.
  • gomez1gomez1 Posts: 4
    hi folks,i was just about to sign on the dotted line to complete my purchase of a 06 cobalt ls coupe.while in the buisness office i was told there was going to be a 650.00 dealer fee added to my purchase price.i was livid and this killed the deal for me and i left the dealership.glad i didnt sign any papers and they would not budge on the fee either.i took my buisness elsewhere.anyone have this problem of excessive dealer service fee's.??