Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• delcorbettdelcorbett Posts: 11
    I do have one advantage in that I can go anywhere to buy the car meaning I work for a Airline so I can travel to further dealers to speck the lot. Have not dune it yet but I am thinking of it. Those ad's for the sub 10K cobalts in Florida did not mention the military discount. Potamkin chevy is running the ad along with a few others to try to compete.
  • olddog7olddog7 Posts: 23
    Where do you get those instant rebate coupons? It seems like those can be stacked( $250 x 4). Do these work with the GMS discount? I'm looking to get the cheapest automatic car for my son( he also just graduated from college, so there may be a discount in there too). So what do you think a mid level Cobalt would go for in So. Cal? Must have auto, air, and 6 cd player/mp3. Thanks in advance.
  • I confirmed today that the instant value coupons ended when the $1,000 july 4th bonus cash came out.

So they are not applicable any longer

Here is an example of an ad in NJ

Cobalt LS 4 Dr
    MSRP 14770
    only option is auto as far as I can tell
    includes
    -1000 factory
    -1000 bonus ( must finance through GMAC, but can pay off anytime)
    -500 conquest
    -500 military

10,779 plus tax and MV

with a 5spd this deal would have been about 800 less

also I don't know if 6cd changer is avail on LS
    mine only had single disc with MP3 as option
  • Call the dealer, if he agrees to this price then don't hesitate to buy....
    any reputable dealer will email you an itemized quote upon request

Invoice
    - 1000 regular rebate
    - 1000 GMAC Bonus Cash
    - 500 Conquest

Add state sales tax and MV/DOC

If you are military you get another $500 but most won't

Also you may get some dealers to go into holdback (sell below invoice) but I have found that for whatever reason GM dealers rarely do.

If you don't mind the crank windows the LS is where your best value lies. Get a pair of $20 floor mats at wal-mart or pep boys and you are ready to go.
  • justus3justus3 Posts: 21
    I just got my new 07 Cobalt LT Coupe last week. Sticker price including options was $16,700. I got $1000 rebate, but was a few hundred upside down on my trade, an '03 Dodge Neon. My Cobalt is the "Street Edition" with the spoiler, sunroof, upgraded 15" tires w/rims, not the plastic wheel covers, thank goodness. Dark burgundy in color, dark gray cloth interior, and I'm quite impressed with the stereo system so far. I had subwoofers in my Neon and so far do not feel it necessary to have to put them into the Cobalt. It sounds great as is. The three free months of XM Radio is pretty awesome too. I think I will continue with it after the free trial. This car rides very smooth so far, and can turn on a dime. I enjoy the fact that I don't have to run the air constantly to stay cool as it has been really hot here lately. If I run the air for only a few minutes and switch it to the air recirculation setting it stays nice and cold. I also really like the other goodies that came with it. Power everything, cruise control, and the DIC is pretty handy to have too. And very easy on gas. This car is a vast improvement over the Neon. My experience with owning a Dodge was less than satisfactory. I have owned Chevy's in the past and have always had better experiences with them. So far, I am very happy with my new car.
  • There was also a $1000 bonus rebate if you financed through GMAC

Even if you didn't plan to finance you could pay it off before you got the first bill.

Also if anyone at your address owns a non-gm vehicle you get $500 conquest cash

As far as price paid you should look to be at invoice or less.
  • Cobalt LS coupe
    -automatic is only option

MSRP 14,530
    1000 GLOBAL loyalty (must be trading a car purchased at global in the last year)
    500 military
    1000 bonus cash
    500 conquest cash
    1000 factory cash

$8,985 plus tax tags doc

Almost no one will get the global loyalty or military
    So you would be looking at $10,500 plus tax doc and tags

You would most certainly be under $12000 out the door for a pretty decent (though basic) set of wheels

Of course it is one unit only and probly sold already but global runs these loss leaders once a week

One thing for sure you are doing much better with a cobalt than if you bought an Aveo or one of those low end hyundai/kias
  • chetjchetj Posts: 324
    hate to brag, but i will..i bought a brand new pontiac sunfire for $6500.00 in nov 2004 w/ 3k GM card earnings..original dealer price was $9500, brand new..it has automatic, ac and a spoiler...the msrp on this was 16,700...cobalt and sunfire both have the ecotec 2.2, a very peppy engine..so far i am very happy with it after 48,000 miles...a similar civic or corolla would be 15, 000 minimum...i think people who buy hondas or toys and overlook the domestics are making a mistake...i have a new focus i like a lot too..no taxes in NH
  • justus3justus3 Posts: 21
    What were the effective dates for the rebates? My purchase was in June and according to the rebate list @ the dealership which they did let me look at, the only rebate available on the Cobalt at that time was $1000. There was a $500 rebate in addition to the $1000 one but it had already expired. Now I am wondering if I should have waited a little longer. Hmmmm...oh well. Still happy.
  • gotta give you credit
    6500 for the unit you got was about as good as it gets for a new car.

granted
    1. the cobalt/g5 has some advantages over the previous cav/sunfire

2. the cav/sunfire MSRP's were sooooooo unrealistic

BUT your deal tops just about any one I have ever seen

No tax in NH is always a plus

Good shopping brother
  • I got mine around the 13th of june and the $500 conquest was available at that time

The $500 conquest is still advertised in the NJ paper so i have to assume it is still valid today july 7th

Perhaps it was a regional promotion, I Am in the northeast

Call GM and ask them about it
    So long as you owned a no gm at the time you should qualify

Either way the cobalt you have is a different world compared to the NEON you traded.

Even if you missed the $500 it was still more than worth it

Simply drive the cobalt and enjoy
    You will certainly have less problems with the cobalt, it was well designed
  • I finally managed to get my loan together and get to a dealership. Maroone Chevy of Miami on 8th street. They were very polite and a pleasure to deal with. I had been dealing with a online salesman for about a month etching down the price. My final out the door price was 14,727.82 for a 2007 Summit white Cobalt LS with manual, exactly what I wanted. There was a 1000 cash back and I qualified for the GM Supplier Discount which was another 1000 off, so the price was 12,727.82. Not to bad, and with 2500 down and 200 dollar gap insurance from my credit union, the cost total financing is 10,427.82 over the next 4 years.

Well within my budget and a good reliable car with a great warrenty. Maybe I could have etched another couple hundred off but I am happy with the price. And I was tired of looking at car dealerships. Edmunds says the invoice is about 12,450 so I didn't do to awful.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Buying a car is not usually a fun experience. It sounds like you did your homework.
  • Anyone know when the rebates change? There is currenty a $1000 rebate.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 196
    Programs change frequently. No one but the insiders know what and when. However, it's not unusual for things to change at the end of the month or just after a major holiday.
  • FACT: There is no such thing as "Break-in" motor oil in a newly manufactured car. Also, conventional VS synthetic motor oil does not matter if changed according to the manufacturer recomendations- I have had several car at a 3-5K oil & filter change that have gone 160-250K miles....etc. In addition, I have had the same with synthetic oils! As far as a "new" car and when to make that ever supposed oil change, I have done 500-1K mls and the usual recomended 3-5K depending or the car that you have, and guess what- the same long term outcome was the same- a reliable car that had 150-250K miles on it over several years. MY POINT IS SIMPLE AND EXTREMELY ACCURATE- ROUTINE AND FOLLOW MANUFACTURE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SERVICE INTERVALS AND THE "LONG-TERM" RESULTS ARE IDENTICAL!!!!! THEREFORE, EVERYONE SHOULD STOP DISCUSSING CONVENTIONAL VS SYNTHETIC OILS AND THE MYTH OF "BREAK-IN" OIL. I HAVE TESTED IT ALL AND THE END RESULT DID NOT MATTER!!!! HOWEVER, IF ONE IS TRYING TO GET 10,000,000,000 MILES OUT OF THERE ENGINE, EXCLUDING TRANS, AC....ETC, THEN YEAH, GO AHEAD WITH SYNTHETIC, YOU PROBABLY WILL GET MORE. OTHERWISE SAVE YOUR MONEY, TIME AND THOUGHT- SPEND IT ON YOUR GIRL, GUY OR SPOUSE. :)

Jon
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    To everyone his thoughts, believes and ways of spending there money. We are in a free country. Right?
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 196
    SHEEEEEESH
  • webbewebbe Posts: 15
    Hi,
    New Here, Can you tell me if their is any rebates for the Chevy Cobalt-how do I find out? Considering buyer a Cobalt but haven't decided to lease or the LT or LS. Haven't started negotiation yet.

Webbee
    Yes there are. I couldn't find it on Edmunds but I know it's there somewhere. I also thought it was listed on Chevy.com? Well, I looked in my Tribune paper and it says 2006 Cobalts are $2,750 or $1,000 rebate and plan 1, which is 0%-7.9%. 2007 Cobalts are $1,000 rebate or plan 1 by itself.
  • webbewebbe Posts: 15
    Thanks for the info, do you know exactly what plan 1 is?

Webbee
    Plan 1 said 0%-7.9%. I am not sure I know what that means. I guess if you have good credit you may get 0% financing, if not it will very. You could also call a dealer and see what they say and if different, let them know you have some figures.
  • dad2bedad2be Posts: 57
    Not too much activity on this board, but I'll post this anyway just in case folks are looking at the Cobalt. I just helped a friend negotiate a deal on a 2008 Cobalt LT sedan. Not my first choice among small cars, but it met her main criteria: cheap new small car with basic safety and power equipment options, but not as small as a sub-compact. The car specifics:

2008 Cobalt LT Sedan with:
    - Automatic Transmission
    - ABS/Traction Control (Side Curtain airbags are now standard for 08)
    - Cruise Control
    - Remote Start
    - Body side mouldings

The price details:
    - MSRP 16885 (incl destination)
    - Invoice 16192 (incl destination), minus the following:
    - $1000 Rebate
    - $500 Conquest Cash
    - $1000 in additional dealer cash certificates on 08s ($250 certificates, use up to 4)
    - $300 of dealer holdback

Final price: $13392 + 6% PA Sales Tax + Tags

I think this is pretty good for an 08, especially since it was at the beginning of the month and the car was not in stock - they did a locate to get a car in her preferred color (Imperial Blue) with the correct options. I got two other quotes and both were higher by at least $400 (and these dealer had the cars on the lots.)

The $1000 in dealer certificates was not publicly advertised - they brought it up when I mentioned I would be getting a few other quotes. The certificates were also not available on the 07s - only the 08s. If someone has GM Card points or qualifies for other discounts (military, etc), then they could make out even better.

Hope this info helps if there are any Cobalt shoppers out there...
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    That's a great deal. Albeit impossible to do better, My totally basic 2007 LS auto ran me ~$12100+ tax & tags in June 2007. You got a lot more options for an extra grand. You can't buy a new Kia, Hyundai,etc.. for $13K.
  • Here's the deal I got on an '08 Cobalt, LT w/ AT & cruise. MSRP $16295 (w/ dest chgs). Discounted to $1550 (~invoice) - $1,000 rebate and -$1,000 GM loyalty = $13,550. GM card bumped my earnings from 1600 to 3,000 (3K top off until 1/31)= final price of $10,550. NY sales tax was charged on $15,550, which IMO is a rip off to pay tax on $2,000 of discounts. Definitely a good deal, but considering the car will only see about 12M miles in 3 years and will depreciate to $7800, I wasn't willing to pay any more. Hopefully it runs right and doesn't have warranty issues. Dealers seem slow this month, check your GM card for the bonus.
    I don't know, that sounds fishy to me. I am not sure about the discounts but I would think it would be the same as if you negotiated a final price of say $13,000 from a MSRP of $15,000 for example. Legally they can only tax you on the $13,000 not the original $15,000 MSRP, but the discount thing I am not too sure about, but it doesn't sound correct to me. Good deal otherwise.
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    Poncho, it depends on how the incentives are specified. If it's a "cash back" incentive, it works just like you had that cash in hand. You pay your State sales tax based on your negotiated sale price of the vehicle, then use your incentive cash as money down. An incentive that is cash off of MSRP works out a bit better since it reduces the taxable amount due. Trade-ins are nice too since it works just like a cash off of MSRP incentive. I paid $80 NY State sales tax on my new Cobalt because my trade-in value nearly exceeded the price of the Cobalt.

Joel
  • I guess the $1,000 cash rebate would be taxed, but I assumed the $1,000 loyalty was a discount, but I see now that they call it bonus cash. It is too bad they call them 'rebates' or cash, since the money never changes hands and it is taken right off the price, so IMO it should not be taxed. There must be some advantage to GM in doing it this way.
    The trade in issue in NY can be a topic for another thread! If I sold my car on my own, I don't get sales tax credit for it, but you do at the dealer. Gives the dealer an unfair advantage.
    Oh well, those are the rules of the game.
  • mikejlmikejl Posts: 78
    Just pulled the trigger on a new 2007 2LT Cobalt, Sport Red Tint, Auto, Spoiler, Remote Start

MSRP - 17915, invoice - 17050
    The deal was 550 off invoice, less 1,750 GM rebate, less 500 Conquest rebate for a net of 14,250.

There are still a few new 2007 models around, especially if you are willing to drive a little farther than you normally would. I negotiated this deal over the phone, subject to actually seeing and driving the car when we picked it up, so it wasn't too much of a hassle.
  • pjm16pjm16 Posts: 13
    You're a Very Trusting person! Over the phone? Whew,lucky you. Do you like it? I just got my cobalt Dec. 20, 2007,It's a 2008,I really like it. :)