Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• With massive quality complaints abound, especially a whipping by Consumer Reports for shady quality... Toyota's are worth about what every other car is worth - invoice, and nothing more.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Nippon - I had a second to look it up, and according to the Corolla brochure, the XRS does indeed get a sport strut tower brace up front, as well as a different steering ratio than the 1.8L models. This, in addition to the larger wheels and tires that you already mentioned.

That appears to be it, though, as noted, it carries the torsion beam rear setup of the 1.8L models, compared to the IRS setup found on the Matrix XRS.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    From experience nobody ever does...
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Well, that's a bit wimpy - the underhood strut tower brace is a minimal improvement to handling - lowering and larger sways, not to mention an indy rear, would do a LOT more to improve handling than the silly brace. As for quicker steering, well that will make it feel more sporty I guess, but won't improve the slalom time by more than a hair. I guess the only real contribution to improved handling is the 17" rims and 10-mm wider tires. I believe they are a 45 profile - that's something. The XRS should have a bit less understeer, something that wasn't improved on the last XRS.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    Nobody gets Toyotas at invoice? Hmm... if you go to the Fitzmall web site and look at their everyday "internet" prices on Toyotas, e.g. the Camry, you'll see many opportunities to buy a Toyota for far below invoice. And I'll bet they aren't the only dealer in the U.S. that routinely sells Toyotas for under invoice, especially considering rebates are commonly available on many models.

Maybe your dealership has been successful at selling all Toyotas for above invoice, but that doesn't mean better deals aren't available elsewhere.
    I took his statement to mean that "nobody ever does".... pay more than invoice... (at least not educated car buyers, or anyone who knows an educated car buyer)

I think invoice -or at least good deals - are much more common than not, on most models of most makes. I was surprised that after test driving the new Accord the other day, the super-amazing saleswoman (who was so low pressure and generally fantastic) printed off a document detailing all the specials currently available for leases. (I must say, it was one of the most pleasant days of car shopping, with the exception of the abysmal Hyundai guy who kept telling me about "incentitives" and literally had me running from the lot).
    I was saying the opposite...especially now, nobody pays anything other than invoice, less any rebates. TMS knows that there's no money being made at the retail level now at this time. At CAT's annual sales person's benefit in Atl City they admitted as much.

But from the manufacturers' pov an invoice sale to the final buyer is still a 'full sticker' deal as far as the manufacturer is concerned. Of course rebates and subvented financing are the discounts from the manufactures' revenues.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Well, CAT is mostly responsible for that. There's no margin to speak on most Toyotas so when you discount one and then add the dealer packs on them it gets ridiculous. I've given up fighting with customers over MSRP and sticker or anywhere in between. At my store you can sell a Corolla at MSRP and still get a mini. And what's up with Cash Blast? That's gone now too. I may be looking for another make of car to sell where I can actually make some money again. Highline is starting to sound good. I should have listened to some of my customers advice.
    :shades:
    LOL! You mean he was actually saying "incentitives"? :-P

You will have to put up with a lot of grief at most stand-alone Honda stores to get a car at invoice.

Less so at Toyota dealers, especially the big corporate stores, where the way to shop is over the internet. On volume models like Corolla they will offer you invoice minus incentives right on the first inquiry. I wonder how soon they will be doing that on '09 Corollas. I would guess they probably don't start the deep automatic discounts until they are fully stocked on a new model, which may still be 4-8 weeks out for Corolla.

I got a warm and fuzzy feeling with the S model. The cheap plastic doesn't look as cheap as it did in the LE. Could be because it's a charcoal/black color and doesn't show. The seats were also very nice as was the moonroof, spoiler, and alloy wheels. It also has the audio controls on the mini leather covered steering wheel. I did have to look twice at the price. $20,974.00. Funny thing was after I walked away our VP of sales happened to be walking back to his office and stopped to look at the car. I walked over and said "be careful when you look at the sticker, it might make you jump." He looked at me and said "Are you serious? $20,974.00 for a Corolla?" "yep, you get the moonroof, alloys and wheels, but the car just behind it is $1000 more." he looks back and there's an Camry LE which stickers for $21,934.00 and says "You're going to have a hard time selling this one."

On a more positive note, I took an LE Corolla and a Matrix for a good test drive tonight. I must say I was impressed by the quietness of the Corolla at full speed. The engine still makes all kinds of ruckus when you first accelerate but then it just slowly quiets itself down. Getting off the expressway and back on to the boulevard I thought I was in a Camry instead due to the quietness of the car. The seating position is quite an improvement over the previous gen due to the tilt/scope wheel adjustments and the seat itself is more comfortable. Acceleration was brisk and shifts were nice and smooth. I did gun the gas pedal and it does seem quicker than before.
    The Matrix was just a re-run of the Corolla drive. Same chassis and drive train with a different dress.
    I'm looking forward to the XRS version of both cars and put them through their paces.
    :shades:

I got a warm and fuzzy feeling with the S model. The cheap plastic doesn't look as cheap as it did in the LE. Could be because it's a charcoal/black color and doesn't show. The seats were also very nice as was the moonroof, spoiler, and alloy wheels. It also has the audio controls on the mini leather covered steering wheel. I did have to look twice at the price. $20,974.00. Funny thing was after I walked away our VP of sales happened to be walking back to his office and stopped to look at the car. I walked over and said "be careful when you look at the sticker, it might make you jump." He looked at me and said "Are you serious? $20,974.00 for a Corolla?" "yep, you get the moonroof, alloys and wheels, but the car just behind it is $1000 more." he looks back and there's an Camry LE which stickers for $21,934.00 and says "You're going to have a hard time selling this one."

This one was a shocker to me too.... but ya know what's even more shocking? This new non-discounted price of ~$20700+ is almost exactly the same as the non-discounted price of the outgoing 08 model.,,, when you equalize the equipment as much as possible. We had our last 08 next to the first 09 S model.
    Here are the numbers:
    2008 Base + FE, CK, SR, BE. AB, VS, AL, CF = $20854 MSRP as per Edmunds
    2009 Base + Package C ( FE, CK, SR, SX, VS, CF ) = $20595 MSRP as per Toyota's site

Obviously there are discounts and rebates on the outgoing 08.
    Well, I suppose some people will look at the S and say, "Oh, only $21k, pretty nice car for only $21k." And others (like me) will say, "Holy @#%&, $21k for a Corolla?!? There's lots of really good cars out there for less than that--I'd better go take a long look at them before plunking down over $20k on a Corolla!"

But as noted, few people will actually pay $21k for an S. I noticed that Fitzmall already has the 2009 Corollas priced at invoice before they even arrive at the dealerships. In a few months, who knows what kind of deals will be available?
    Mack - at $21K it seems like the Corolla S you drove also would have included VSC and JBL/Bluetooth (in addition to moonroof, alloys, and rear spoiler), which might be signficant for some buyers.

Just a thought, though I'm still not sold on the redesign. Happy to hear the ride is as quiet as Toyota is touting, and glad acceleration is as good or better than before from the seat of the pants perspective.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    "With massive quality complaints abound, especially a whipping by Consumer Reports for shady quality"

The V6 Camry and the 4WD Tundra I believe were the reasons that Consumer's gave Toyota a "whipping". If you notice, just about all other Toyota models are rated high for reliability.

All companies, including Honda (transmission and A/C, to name a few) have had some serious problems. Honda seems to have them resolved, and I am sure Toyota will too. Toyota has publicly admitted to the problems and have said that they will get them corrected. With their piles of cash and know-how, you can bet they will.
  • I live in the SF Bay Area and nearly all the dealers that I've contacted are selling the new '09 Corolla at MSRP. I came across one dealer in Sacramento that took $400 off MSRP. By the way, the quotes I received were from the dealerships internet dept. I'm looking to buy the Corolla Standard (base model) w/auto trans in silver. I'm not interested in cruise control as I never use it or floor mats ($199 xtra). I can buy my own floor mats for a lot less. I'm not into any frills whatsoever in my cars. The more electronics in your car is just more things to go wrong and those items are expensive to repair or replace.
    It did not have the bluetooth upgrade JBL system but it did have the VS.
    And I drove the LE not the S and the base Matrix. The S just came in so it was not inspected or PDI'D so I didn't take it on the road. I will this friday.
    Mack
    Well, CA is Toyota Country so I can understand that at least some dealers there are trying to get MSRP for the new Corolla. But some dealers such as Fitzmall are offering big discounts already. YMMV.
  • You are correct. It seems like everyone here either drives a Toyota or a Honda vehicle. Hopefully in a few months deals can be made once dealers are fully stocked with '09 Corolla's.
    I think it will be more like 6 weeks until those big big discounts will appear on the '09 Corolla (and Matrix) at large dealers, even here in California. But don't expect the manufacturer cash rebate to reappear that is currently running on the '08s!

Unless the recession hits as predicted then there will be all kinds of dealer cash and customer cash on vehicles. I hope it doesn't get to that or I may have to find me another line of work.
    mACK