Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• waltchanwaltchan Posts: 123
    Good news for southern California buyers. After many days of phone calls to many Toyota dealers, only one is allowing exact invoice pricing on the new 2009 Corollas and Matrixs. It is at Manhattan Beach Toyota. Ask for internet director manager. Save $2,000 off from MSRP right now. Good luck.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    What do you mean by "allowing"? Are they selling the 09's at invoice?
  • ike3ike3 Posts: 81
    That's the question. Any dealers in NE Ohio, upstate NY, PA, NJ, MD offering a similar deal? Factory invoice pricing on any or all trim levels?
    Anyone have any ideas as to who might? Perhaps the biggest volume dealer or the second highest volume Toyota dealer?
    I'm all ears!
    You may try Fitzmall.com in Md. They offer very competitive pricing on new vehicles. DarCars also in Md is the largest Toyota dealer in the east coast so try them, and last but not least Carmax also in MD they are actually called Laurel Toyota but it's a Carmax store. They give away new cars too.
    Mack
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    When I checked a few days ago, Fitzmall was offering their incoming 2009 Corollas at invoice.
    There you go. If you look for it you will find it.
    Mack
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    what kind of volume does fitzmall have to be able to sell new models at invoice?
    i know if you can sell a car off the truck, the holdback is all profit, but that's still not very much. they must make a lot on incentives from the manufacturer because of the volume.
    plus i'm sure the service department is going like gang busters.
    unless a salesman sells at least 40 cars a month, i can't see them making a living if everything they sell is at invoice.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    My impression is that Fitzmall is a big-volume operation. But then, Fitzmall is offering these prices w/o negotiation required, so I have no sympathy for them if they don't make much on each car--they set the prices, after all.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    If memory serves me Fitzmall is approximately the same size as mackabee's store and our store. Fortunately for our two stores we are NOT located in the dog eat dog world of the DC market. There are at lease two or three or four stores bigger than Fitzmall just in their local market.

They do a heck of a job in promoting their internet sales but in the end they have some monsters to beat away and I think this hold them down somewhat. Laurel Carmax does the same thing and they are bigger yet.

Your 40 cars per salesperson per month at invoice is Toyota's dream. They don't benefit one iota when vehicles are sold above invoice and the process often ticks off the buyer. They'd like every sale to be semi-direct via the internet like buying LLBean shirts out of a catalogue. And Yes if a salesperson could do 40 per month at a $100 mini plus bonuses and spiffs then he/she would be making $75000+ annually. There are several salespeople in the LA region that do 60+ per month year after year. That's a hat trick every working day ( 22 wd/mo ) !!
  • Since Toyota has redesigned the Corolla engine for 2009 does anyone know if they changed from a timing chain back to a belt? I've not been able to find a 2009 maintenance schedule online that'd tell me if there is a belt to be changed at some interval.

Thanks!
    Jim
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I don't know for a fact, but I would bet anything that it uses a timing chain, just like the old one.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    a couple of '09s last night at a nearby dealership, and noticed something on one parked right next to an '08: the manual has dropped two points in fuel economy. How did this happen? My guess would be weight gain. I had been thinking it had sidestepped in fuel economy, but that is NOT the case. It has dropped.

'08 manual: 28/37 (new ratings system)
    '09 manual: 26/35 (also the new ratings system)

Since weight gain outstripped the power increase in the 1.8, my guess would be that they shortened the gearing a bit to keep straight-line performance the same, and of course the price you pay when you do that is fuel economy. :sick:

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Since the prior Gen9 Corolla came out in 2002 ALL 4 cyl Toyota's have had timing Chains....cars, trucks, SUVs and crossovers.

All the new technology engines from Toyota use timing chains. Presently the only timing belt engines are ...
    ..the Solara 3.3L ( departing in Sept )
    ..the hybrid Highlander 3.3L+HSD
    ..the Tundra 4.7L V8

Everything else has switched over already..
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Maybe they shortened the gearing to get better 0-60 times? Some automakers do that to the manuals, but Toyota in the past has not. What about the automatic mpg?

I'd still buy the manual!!!!
  • lls57lls57 Posts: 57
    08 Corolla automatic: 26/35
    09 Corolla automatic: 27/35
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Yes, so they can say the 2009 has improved fuel economy (as long as you don't think about the manual and 2.4 liter versions).
    We dx'd a car from Fitzmall one time. I asked the sales person who drove the car down to us how they were paid. He told me new cars were a flat 250 per car. I'd take that any day on a new car. :)_
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Realistically the majority of Corollas will be the 1.8L 4A.
  • Just checked the 2009 corolla at Toronto Auto Show, The interior is a disappointment unless you go with the S or the XRS type. Also checked the new 2009 Sonata - Beautiful car inside and out. I have to decide If I don't get The corolla S , I will probably buy the 2009 Sonata. :confuse: