Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    There were 3 points made in this (old) article that I think may be incorrect:

* "Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC) is a new feature" for 2009. I thought VSC was available on the previous-gen Corolla?

* "A new 158-horsepower DOHC 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is available for the 2009 model." Isn't the 2.4L engine carryover from the Camry et. al.?

* "All-new 2009 Toyota Corolla and Matrix will be the first Toyota brand vehicles to offer XM Radio as a factory-equipped feature." Really? Other Toyotas e.g. Avalon, Sienna, Camry didn't offer XM radio before the Corolla did? I find it hard to believe Toyota would be so late to the game with XM radio.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    On the high grade matrix and corolla xm radio is standard, all other trims come with the satellite antenna as standard equipment.
    Yes, the 2.4l engine is the Camry's but it's new to the Corolla.
    VSC and leather were available in the last generation. Trying to find one was another story.
    :shades: Mack
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    VSC is a new standard feature for the XRS. It was optional on all 2008s.
    XM radio is a new factory installed feature on Corollas with JBL stereo. On other Toyotas, XM is dealer installed.
    Yes, I knew VSC was standard on the XRS. The article said a "new feature", not a "new standard feature." Like that "new" 2.4L engine I guess. ;)

I am really surprised there was no Toyota before the 2009 Corolla to offer factory XM radio. :surprise:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Maybe they were placating dealerships that enjoyed the revenue they received charging a premium price to install XM.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    Its kinda funny because about 1year ago (Message 831), I predicted Toyota would use the 2.4. At first, I was saying turbo... Then just say naturally aspirated. OMG it came true(not the 200hp part... and i'm unsure of the sport suspension). Either Toyota "reads" this or I'm just good at guessing... :P

-Cj
  • bob191bob191 Posts: 14
    I purchased Corolla S 2009 and while waiting for the delivery (vehicle was ordered from the factory), I found out that the OEM tires BRIDGESTONE TURANSA EL 400 according to tire rack survey wearing out at 15 000 miles. The comfort and noise is unbearable and tire perfomance ratings in wet, dry and winter condition is poor.
    I would like to get BRIDGESTONE TURANSA SERENITY OR MICHELIN HARMONY and would like to know if it is possible to negotiate this change with the dealership after the Purchase Agreement was sign. I don't mind to pay the difference in price. Is it possible to do it? Does anybody has experience in tnis matter? I will appreciate any advice.
    You're good at guessing would be my first choice.
    Mack
    ;)
    Bring it up to the sales manager or general manager. They might be willing to work something out. Just a little secret for you,..(all new cars are ordered from the factory..)
    Mack
    Thanks for the advice. How about the legal procedure. If the sales manager will not be cooperative, can I refuse to take the vehicle with junky Turanza EL 400.
    Bob
    It might be too late now, depending on the terms of the agreement you signed, but anyway... when you want a car that is not yet at the dealer, make sure the agreement you sign has a clause that says something to the effect that your final acceptance of the car is contingent on your inspection and test drive of that car when it arrives. Then if there is anything amiss, e.g. damage in transit or maybe some crappy tires that you just can't stand ;) you have the right to reject the car and get your deposit back. (Of course, the dealer can offer to do something to make the car acceptable to you--whatever that might be.) The other suggestion is, for any deposit you make on the car, put it on a credit card. That way if there is any dispute about the delivery of the car, you can have the credit card company investigate it on your behalf. And in my experience, some dealers don't even run the credit card when the deposit is on a card, so you aren't out any money until you actually take delivery.

If the dealer won't do a direct swap of the tires (e.g. maybe they don't have the ones you want in stock), maybe you could ask them what kind of credit they would give you for the four Turanza OEM tires. Then you could go out and get the replacement tires yourself at a tire shop (probably at a much lower price than what the dealer would charge for them), get the credit for the OEM tires from the dealer, and if you ask real nice maybe they'd put the new tires on for you at delivery. And if that doesn't work, you could go to a tire shop and ask them what kind of trade in they'd give you for four Turanza EL 400s with a handful of miles on them.
    Thanks a lot backy for your helpful advice.
    bob.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    Its kinda funny because about 1year ago (Message 831), I predicted Toyota would use the 2.4.

That's why I'm disappointed that Toyota didn't offer the 3ZR-FAE Valvematic engine rated at around 155 bhp on the new Corolla models in the USA. With this engine and a new 5AT transmission, the new Corolla could have been a SERIOUS contender against the Honda Civic EX sedan.
    Serious contender? Heck, the Corolla outsell the Civic. So who is the contender?
    Mack
    what do you think of BRIDGESTONE TURANZA EL 400. All info I have is from Tire rack.
    I have no idea. What did the dealer say about swapping them out for a different tire?
    I haven't heared from the general manager yet, but the salesperson in regards to the type of tires used on the Sport model just roll me back to Toyota main office and "advised" me to discuss my concerns with the product that came from the factory. For upgrading they will charge $140.00/each.

He is not sure how that would be handled and advised talk to the Parts/Service manager or sell OEM tires on- line. Actually, I would call it upgrading in quality, but not in price. According to my servey Turanza EL 400 cost $10.00 more than Michellin Primacy MXV4 and $23.00 more than Michelin Harmony/each. Today I sent e-mail to the General Manager and waiting for his responce.
    You might start checking on Plan B (or was it C), that is, talk to tire shops in your area such as Discount Tire and see what kind of trade-in they would give you for nearly brand-new tires. Since there is little difference in price, that would be a lot cheaper than what the Toyota dealer would charge you.
    Bob, you might have to call 1-800-gotoyota and file a case. Just tell them all you want is better tires than the ones on the car. They will call the dealership's customer relations manager and they will take care of it. It shouldn't get to that point if you bought the car from a good dealership. The salesperson should have taken care of this already. Maybe he's afraid of the general manager.
    \Mack.
    I have to give credit to jaxs and backy. I sold a Hyundai Santa Fe today since we also have a Hyundai dealership and I can cross sell. I took one of previous customers there as the new Highlander is too big for her. She wanted something comparable in size to her old Highlander. I suggested the RAV4 but she thought it was too small. She told me she wanted to look at a few other cars and I asked which ones? So when she said the Santa Fe and Veracruz I offered to take her to our Hyndai store to take a look and a test drive. We were there for quite sometime as she couldn't make up her mind between either one. While I was there I checked out their line of cars and I came away very impressed. Toyota better wake up to the quality issues or Hyundai will be eating their lunch.
    I looked at the Elantra and was amazed at all the options and standard equipment you get for thousands less than the Corolla.
    I drove a Sonata today to go back to the Toyota store and it felt like a cross between an Accord and a Camry but with better interior materials. The engine was not as smooth as the Camry but I could live with it.
    The Veracruz blew me away! Double stitching on the leather seats, vents all the way around for passengers, etc,
    The Santa Fe also impressed me and I would probably take either of those two over a RAV4 or Highlander.
    The prices blew me away also and they have some pretty hefty rebates to go along.
    I ended up selling her a Santa Fe which was $31,919 or so less the discount and less rebate came out to $27,400.00 plus ttl. She could have had the Veracruz for $77 more. I would have taken the Veracruz. They were both 07 models but since she's keeping the vehicle until the wheels fall off she was very happy with it. If this keeps up I might be selling Hyundai vehicles soon.
    Mack