Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Toyota, here is your list!
    - standard power windows
    - standard power door locks and keyless entry
    - sportier tires for the S and XRS (205/60 and 205/50 respectively)
    - standard alloys on more of the trims, like at least the LE, and hopefully the S too
    - standard cruise control
    - standard power seat
    - standard tilt AND telescoping steering wheel
    - standard compass mirror
    - use of the optitron gauges on more of the trims.

Ok, that's it, now get busy, and oh yeah, we don't want to pay a penny more for it come fall than we already do! :-P

The brand new Civic will prompt them to do at least a couple of the things above, I am sure, in addition to the standard mid-cycle cosmetic facelift. Toyota tends to keep a pretty close eye on what Honda is doing, and vice versa. HOWEVER, since Honda's push is to safety right now, and they are making side curtain airbags standard on Civics for '06 along with ABS, those may be the changes Toyota makes to the Corolla instead of the stuff above, in order to keep pace.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Actually, they wouldnt. The Honda Civic w/side airbags offers no protection for the heads of the driver and passenger. It is a fairly useless airbag setup, IMO. The test you cite does not take into account head injury. The IIHS test does, and only the Corolla and Cobalt offer 'Acceptable' protection from chest AND head injury. The test you cite is fairly misleading.

~alpha
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    LOL, you want every Corolla to be a fully equipped model ;)

~alpha
    well, no, I must concede to reality once in a while!! I was just summing up everything that everyone has asked for in the last 35 posts.

I hope they do the tires (but I don't think they will) and the standard locks with keyless, which they might. I wouldn't be surprised to see more side curtain bags and ABS too - those curtains are the only thing that got the Corolla its great IIHS rating, ditto the Cobalt.

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    The Civic wasn't tested, citing "design changes" underway....
  • tiger10tiger10 Posts: 46
    Civic is a loser to me no matter what. it just cant be better than Corolla. :P
    What makes you think that? I respect your opinion, but you have to prove it. What does the Corolla have that the Civic does not, besides the Toyota badge?
    for one thing, tiger just BOUGHT one! :-)

• Here is what I think is Fair:
    Corolla CE is fair where it is right now.
    S should have Power Windows and Door Locks, ABS and Cruise Standard
    LE shoule have the 'S' Standards and Alloy Wheels Standard
    XRS- i don't care. LoL
    This is what i think is where the compact car arena should be at in terms of what should be standard on all cars.
    the power windows and locks, since they wind up equipping every car built with them anyway, and make you pay extra for the "package" or "option".

They do the same thing with the S and alloy wheels - every car built has the "sport package" that includes alloys - they should make alloys standard. Knowing Toyota a little, I think this one has little chance of happening. Not while we still have two trim levels of Camry with wheel covers.

The ABS they should do and I think it has 50/50 odds - Civic will do this for the next gen, and Toyota is going through this big safety campaign right now, so yeah, 50/50. If they do it, I bet it will be across the line, not excluding the CE.

Toyota has ABS standard across the line of the Camry, even the lowly Standard and LE editions.
    yeah, exactly, which makes it that much more likely that the Corolla will have it standard soon.

• bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    I just read that the 2006 Honda Civic will get a optional navigation system, is there any chance the 2006 Corolla could get one ?
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I bet sometime in the future. I had a navi installed in my Corolla aftermarket, and I just wish that they had made it a factory option. I think that Toyota should also lift a Camry 2.4L and put it into the LE sedan so that it could compete more upmarket with the Jetta and these higher powered Cobalts. Also, the XRS should continue, as it is a pleasant conjunction of good performance and a pretty good price tag. But, I am forced to think that the cladding on the XRS looks a little... immature? (Ah, i'm getting old). So I think that the lineup should look like this....

CE- maybe add power locks as standard. Otherwise, keep it the same. Moving the price up would make it too expensive. It's already among the more expensive non-Jetta compacts.

S- Er.... add locks/windows as standard equipment. Maybe include 2.4L as option.

LE- 2.4L engine and auto standard. Also power locks, windows, possibly 4 way power seat.... navi option would be nice, leather still an option,

XRS- maybe try to tune the engine for a little more power.. And maybe 5-10 more torque.

The best thing about a 2.4L engine option would be that the Corolla would be able to whip its clone.... i mean, its to be fellow pseudo expensive compact car, the Jetta. (The 0-60, 0-100 and slalom speeds for the Corolla and newest Jetta are almost exactly the same, and the Corolla has 130 hp)
    I like your line-up! The only change I would make is the S really needs a replacement for the granny tires it gets now, to go with its sporty looks. And ALL the compacts, Jetta and otherwise, are getting keyless entry these days. If I had Toyota's ear, I would strongly encourage them to make that standard across the board for the '06 refresh. If they needed to save money on the S, they could skip the power windows as long as they did the tires and the keyless.

The CE is sold all day long for $12,9 right now. I think that is low enough. You can bet the days of Civic VPs will go away for a few years with the redesign this year. Hyundai and Kia have moved upmarket $1000 or so, and the least expensive Cobalt goes for more than this too. I thikn Toyota would be safe in adding a few hundred $$ to the bottom line on the Corolla CE.

True about the tires. Also the price, but a CE auto is already about 14.5. The CE manual is 13.7, and you can get about 500$ in rebates, so i guess 13k isn't too bad.

I would love to see a larger engine option: the Corolla just asks for it when other companies are giving multiple engine choices. However, the Corolla has outsold the Civic since its redesign, and the Civic comes with a gaggle of different engines.

I think that even though GM has said it's moving away from rebates the Cobalt will have them before long: the stench of the Cavalier lingers.
    within a 50-mile radius of me have been advertising all auto Corolla CEs in stock for $12,9 for months and months now. Those are probably base models without options, but still, the price of a new Corolla is pretty low.

I was thinking - why couldn't the S have the same wheels and tires as the XRS? As for faster engines, the Cobalt S/C is actually a SMALLER engine than the regular one! But the point is well taken. Would be kind of cool if they could squeeze the 2.4 from the Camry under the hood of the LE. Or perhaps just the 148 hp 2.0 the RAV used until 2004? Updated for emissions of course.

I don't want to launch an attack on the environment, but a lot of cool engines are blocked from the US for emissions reasons.

The Corolla just tickles me pink because here you have the Civic, Focus, Elantra, Mazda3, Forenza, Aerio, Neon, Sentra, Cobalt, PT, Spectra, Lancer, Reno, and Golf all in the same price range. The Corolla has been criticized by many reviewers for being too boring and too expensive, yet it outsells them all. Yet the Mazda 3, which is the car reviewer's best friend, hasn't (and probably never will) sold as well. The Corolla has a name that Toyota has stuck with since the beginning, and now there are people who will buy a Corolla on name alone. It would be sad if I didn't own one :P
    Nah, I bought a Corolla because they look classy. They look good with xenons, I have discovered.

A redesign is welcome for the Corolla. Just don't lose the name, because that's important.
    aren't available on Corolla in the U.S.! Where did you see that?

I put xenon headlights on. I found them on EBay. They're the lens type.
    As well as a lot of other stuff not usually found in a Corolla. I had the exhaust system redone, put a very low profile air intake in, got one of those performance chips, had really good leather put in, put in a navi, replaced the steering wheel. It's my little grand tourer. I think I'll try for heated seats sometime in the future. It gets about 165 hp now and 155 torque.

Mines an 04, I didn't really like the grille on the 05. I was wrestling in my mind over whether to wait for the XRS 05 and then I saw the silly cladding.
    the very silly cladding is bolt on, bolt off.

I wouldn't mind THAT being optional for '06 on. They make it a package with foglamps and such on the Matrix.

• thefafthefaf Posts: 12
    I've been wondering why Toyota offers Stability Control only on automatic equipped Corolla's. VSC is the best safety advancement since seat belts. It helps you avoid an accident, instead of helping you survive one. I'm hoping Toyota will let us manual shift types get VSC in the 2006 Corolla and Matrix. Or I could get a Scion xB, (VSC standard)
    VSC being an option on all '06 Corollas, but i don't feel it is that important on a little car with such a low center of gravity.

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    How extensive will exterior changes be for the 2006? I know 2006 was supposed to be the year for a mid-cycle refresh, but the 2005 had quite a few changes itself.
    The Corolla only got some shiny stuff around the grille, some new taillights and a price hike for '05. I just hope that the prices for the Corolla don't go much higher.....
    the '06 gets a new face that mimics the new Avalon/Camry a bit, but in a smaller version. I am equally sure we will see no powertrain mods, and we will see some content shuffling and a healthy price bump (with more standard equipment). That is what they have done with every other mid-cycle refresh in Corolla history. The exception was that in 2000 they dumped the 3-speed automatic on the lowest trim level, but that was because it was hopelessly outdated, and too cheap for a Corolla in the first place.

One thing they MIGHT do is cancel the XRS if it has been selling horribly, but I sure hope not.

• toyfan30toyfan30 Posts: 1
    I have always wondered, what is the down side of increasing your horsepower in your corolla? I thought I read somewhere opinions that Toyota engines were practically indestructible...unless you try and increase horsepower, then the engine has a tendency to break down faster (something about paper thin engine block walls :) ) Anyone have any experience either good or bad? :confuse:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    Your best bet is to visit our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board for questions like that.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    When will the 2006's be available?
    August.