Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    There was a long discussion on Tn beginning back in July and moving over to a couple of other threads but as I understand from those more knowledgable ..
    ..the current 1ZZ and 2ZZ 1.8L VVTi engines will be replaced by new 1ZR and 2ZR 1.8L dual VVTi engines with slightly better HP but better FE. As I read it there could also be a 2.0L ZR for a special model.

I will admit that I don't have direct knowledge but from the feel/sound of the discussions and Toyota's normal evolutionary approach it seems right.
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    "Might it be UK-only? Its also not called Corolla"

Looking at several automotive news websites, they all claim that the name 'Corolla' is dead in Europe (including the UK)... and replaced with Auris. Since Europeans seem to love their small hatchbacks, it'd make sense. For example...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/23/europeans-gets-first-look-at-toyota-auris/
  • There is no atraction because tis new Auris looks like the Skoda fabia 2002 box. I dont like it. :(
  • I really like the Corolla showcased on World Car fans. Just make sure it has good fuel economy and a broad powerband, make the torque available in the 1500-3000 range where its useable.

I punched the pedal on my V6 camry yesterday all the way to the floor after rolling through an electronic toll at 30mph just to see if the car would take off, and it rev'd to 4500-5000 max before shifting so I never reached that magic number where max HP and Torque were produced which is usually around 5500rpm. I usually cruise about town in the 1500-3000 rpm range, even at 70mph. What good is 192hp (2002 V6) if most of that doesnt show up until 3000+rpm? :( Even being a calm driver I only get 18-23mpg. In perfect conditions I might get 25- but I've never seen 25mpg :mad:
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    You sure sound like a calm driver, lol. And show me an engine in this class that has peak hp under 3000 RPM?

Actually, assuming you were coasting in OD (4th gear) if you nailed the accelerator at 30MPH, you should have near red-lined in second gear around 70MPH, well past 5000 RPM so I'm not sure what you mean?

In Consumer Reports test of your model, they averaged 21 MPG overall. I've found their overall ratings are typically very close to what I've averaged in my cars, and yours don't sound like they are that far off.

~alpha
  • Haha very funny alpha. :P I never go more than 5 over the limit and rarely punch the throttle to the floor (I've done it about 3 times in the last decade, literally.) So I believe I am a calm driver. Everybody else in town passes me like I'm standing still when I'm at the speed limit.

I had to slow down from 65 to 25 to go through the toll, so I doubt I was in 4th gear. the car shifted twice on its way back to 65, so I was probably in first or 2nd at 30. By the time I reached 65 again I think I maxed at around 4500rpm.
    I guess I'm just wondering why the bother advertise horsepower when most drivers never get to use all they advertise. My car has 192 @ 5300rpm and 209ft/lb at 4400rpm. I never make it that high in RPMs. It's like buying a dozen eggs and using only 6 when they sell eggs in half-dozen too.

I'd prefer lower horsepower, but it all be usable. Say 150hp diesel 200ft/lbs of torque available at say 2000-4000rpm. You'd get great milage and have more fun, if the car handles well youd be a lot safer too since you could get out of the way faster as well.
    OK, if you FLOOR the accelerator from a rolling 25MPH, you will definitely reach near red-line in the climb back to 65MPH. Either you didn't floor the car, or your speeds are off. Try it.

Why bother advertising horsepower? Are you kidding? That's like telling Starbucks not to advertise specialty drinks when most people order plain coffee.

What other metric do you suggest? Max horspower and torque are measureable and can be standardized. If consumers want information on acceleration and economy, the whole picture is easily constructed by consulting the various automotive resources available simply by walking into a corner bookstore, or logging on to the web.

And, normally aspirated (and many turbo) diesels aren't typically faster than similar sized (gasoline) engine vehciles.

~alpha
  • Hey guys, I noticed the xD's specs are similar to the current gen. of Corolla.

ENGINE for xD

Type: 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder, DOHC 16-valve EFI with VVT-i

Bore and Stroke: 3.17 x 3.48 inches (3.11 X 3.60)

Displacement: 1798 cc (1794 cc)

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1 (same)

Horsepower: 128 hp @ 6000 rpm (126 hp @ 6000 rpm)

Torque: 125 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm (122 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm)

I'm curious how much the xD weighs. Anyways, The engine for the next gen Corolla isn't that much powerful than the xD, which is the same by the way. Add another 6 hp and 4 pound feet of torque and there you have it.
    One thing I did notice about the xD, though, is that the 1.8L unit is physically marked 'DUAL VVTi', which is something the current Corolla doesn't have. This makes me wonder - is this the same engine that will be in the next Corolla, only de-tuned, or is the new Corolla 1.8L an entirely different engine?

Still, I feel that for the NG Corolla, assuming weight doesn't increase significantly, a 134 horse (SAE rated) unit will do fine, especially if they can keep the MPG up. The new Corolla, also, is expected to have a 5A instead of the current 4A.

~alpha
    Interesting catch. 134 hp is plenty. My 97 & 00 Camry's only had 135 Non-SAE.
    Well, yes, but those Camrys also weighed 3100 lbs and were painfully slow when paired with the 4A. I sure hope the Corolla doesn't befall the same fate, lol!

C/D's best 0-60 in a Gen 4 Camry 4 4A was 10.5sec
    C/D's 0-60 in the Gen 6 Camry 4 5A is 8.7sec

~alpha
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    Whenever Toyota releases the new Toyota Corolla it will look like a mini 2007 generation Camry.
  • it will be a fussion between the Camry 2007 and the lexus IS350. Check the new Mitubishi 2008, the Mitsu design Engineers stealth the 2007 lexus I350 and launch the new Lancer GTS 2008. with 150 Hp :)
  • ...It will probably be very similar to the Corolla sedan that recently debuted in Asia but with a few changes:

1) The engine will be a 2.0-liter I-4 Dual VVT-i unit probably rated at around 138 bhp.

2) The transmission choice will be either five-speed manual or a version of the CVT-i automatic used on JDM Corollas but modified to better suit American driving conditions.

3) It will use the more upscale interior derived from the JDM/European Toyota Auris hatchback.

4) Toyota will tune the suspension for better handling so it can better compete against the Honda Civic and Mazda3.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Why are people making these pronouncements without facts?
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    Because they can :P
  • if you analize the toyota design strategy you will find a pattern that follows this way.

Lexus box modelo 2000 to 2005 tranfer the design to corolla 2003, then corolla 2003 tranfer the design to yaris o echo 2006.

Now is the same.... Lexus and Camry tranfer the box to corolla 2008, and then in 2011 corolla tranfer the box to Echo.
    This design have some logic if you think about that Toyota is more conservative than Honda or Mazda designs.

Tell me your point of view :)
  • Check out the complete list of prices* below.
    Lancer DE (2.0L/5M) $14,615
    Lancer DE (2.0L/CVT) $15,515
    Lancer ES (2.0L/5M) $16,615
    Lancer ES (2.0L/CVT) $17,515
    Lancer GTS (2.0L/5M) $18,115
    Lancer GTS (2.0L/CVT) $19,115
    *All prices include an extra $625 for shipping.
    GTS com0os full loaded, 152HP, theres is another option The Rally Art, 2.0 pñus turbo and 4WD, EVOX cousin.

Tell me about Corolla 2008, looks like nobody mades the homework?
    :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    For that country.
    The US Corollas and countries on other continents' Corollas have different styling.
  • All I know is the new Corrolla better be on the ball, other manufacturers are going more upscale and Toyota will be left behind if they arent careful. VW's 2008 Jetta will have a 140hp diesel motor with over 200ft/lb of torque which will make it fun to drive and give it fuel efficiency in the 40+ mpg range not to mention side and curtain airbags, and a virtual alphabet of safety features. If it had Toyota reliablity I'd snap one up in a second flat. At the rate things are going reliablity is the only potential drawback I see.
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    I wasn't aware of that :confuse:
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    other manufacturers are going more upscale and Toyota will be left behind if they arent careful.

It depends. If other manufacturers are going upscale and climbing up in terms of price points as well, that would potentially create a nice vaccum for the Corolla if it stays within the current price range. Not everyone wants to pay 20 grand for a high quality small car.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    "More upscale" could mean having standard safety and convenience features such as telescopic steering wheel, ABS, side bags/curtains, and active head restraints, and optional features such as VSC, heated leather seats, satellite radio, Bluetooth, SmartKey, and navigation. Corolla currently has none of these in the U.S. except optional VSC, but some of its competitors have most if not all of these features. And they don't cost $20k. The bar has been raised since the current Corolla debuted in 2002.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I agree. This segment has been changing fast in the last five years. The current Corolla's continuing sales success (increasing in sales as it ages, to well over the 300K point last year) may indicate that people would rather save the bucks than pay for the additional features and safety content, but of course with models like the Elantra out there, people don't necessarily have to pay more to get more.

I think it is virtually inevitable that the next Corolla will match the Civic dollar for dollar on pricing. The only difference is Toyota won't build a DX without A/C. If there still is a CE, I expect it to be $1000 more than a Civic DX, and to have one or two more standard features, probably the A/C and a 4-speaker CD stereo (and I expect all Corollas to have six standard airbags, ABS, and VSC). Certainly if the cheaper Yaris has standard A/C and CD, Toyota won't leave them off the base Corolla. (This is also probably the last generation Civic in which the base model lacks A/C)

That means an '08 Corolla S will go for almost $20K before options with an automatic. Look at the competition. Why wouldn't they raise the prices that high?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    Side airbags and ABS need to be standard, I think, although Toyota left them off the Yaris as standards. VSC as standard? Only if Toyota wants the Corolla to stand out as the only car in its class with standard VSC. I think that's doubtful as they try to keep the price reasonable, especially on the CE.

If the S has leather standard, plus ABS and the side bags, then it might garner in the $19's with an automatic. Some competitors like the Lancer GTS and Elantra Limited are $1000-2000 less than that MSRP, so it can't be much more as real-world prices for the competition are even less ($1500 in rebates on the Elantra right now, for example).
  • The pictures you posted... I found a Business Week online article about the Geneva Auto Show and they showed your 2008 Corrolla without the Rally paint job, as the Toyota Auris. Saying that will be the name of the 5 door, the 4 door sedan will still be named Corrolla, at least in Europe anyway. I'm not sure I like the idea of a Corrolla 5 door, but I really like that front end. I hope the nose stays the same on if they ship the Corrolla over here.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/03/0305_geneva/index_01.htm
    I'm fairly certain that all the well known safety features and the alphabet soup of electronic devices will all be standard except possibly VSC/Trac on the base CE. Tilt and Telescoping seems pretty important because that was one of the key comments about the current Gen that the wheel seems awfully far away.

Here's a weird one. Toyota just eliminated all the incentives nationally on the Corolla!!! Are they expecting a cos of fuel spike like last year that drew the inventory down to nothing? Too many fleet sales? LOL. This is a 5+ y.o. model for heaven's sake.

They certainly have to keep an eye on the Elantra and Sentra but what is happening to the Civic? Sales are way down last month!!
  • The Lancer GTS, offers more features than Corolla, is more loaded, I am waiting to see the new corolla, but im in love with thos state of the art. Lancer GTS. :)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Toyota made a public pronouncement last year significant enough that I still remember it: all Toyotas will have VSC by 2009. At the time, I took it to mean that VSC would be standard by then, in which case making it standard across the line for the '09 Corolla would make a lot of sense. But now I am wondering if maybe they just meant it would be at least optional for all '09 Toyotas?

Right now, I don't think it is even optional for the Yaris. But a lot can change in 2 years. Plus, NHTSA is probably going to make it mandatory for all 2011 or 2012 vehicles, right?

And gas is already $3/gallon in my neck of the woods, now holding steady the last 4 or 5 days. But Corollas are still flying off the lots around here, they can't keep them in stock.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)