Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• >>Eventually the Prius will make plenty of money (along with other hybrids). It certainly makes money for the dealers.

I agree. What Toyota is doing is to use the hybrid technology in as many models as practical in order to spread the cost of the technology investment. That way the Prius will not have to be the only model with a mission to amortize it (of course, this is already happening with other hybrid models in place). That will eventually lower the cost on the Prius and other hybrid-equipped Toyotas and yield a better bottom line.

Even then, though, the ROI of the Corolla is absolutely amazing, and it is a difficult little wagon to get off when it makes you so much money. In one way, it is precisely because a car like the Corolla is so profitable that Toyota can afford to put so much emphasis on the hybrid technology.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Will the new Corolla be longer then the old one, or about the same? I like the Honda Fit because it's 157" vs 178" of the Corolla and the Fit has more interior space. Easier to put in my garage.
  • The only information that I have is for the JDM Corolla, which, according to reliable sources, WILL have different dimensions from the non-JDM Corolla. So what is written below is just a reference.

Using the information that I have, the next-gen JDM Corolla will be identical in length and width as the current generation, and the height will go down, but only by 10 mm. The wheelbase will remain unchanged as well.

The non-JDM Corolla will become WIDER than the current generation, but I have no data as to by how much. Also as to the length, I have no reliable information at this time.
  • Am I in a wrong forum or what!!!!!!!
  • It's official now. The all-new Corolla (JDM body) will be released in Japan on October 10. Why October 10? Because it's the 10th generation Corolla. Seriously.

The next-gen Corolla liftback, the Auris, should also be released at the same time.
  • So when will the next generation Corolla come out in the United States. I have heard that the Corolla will be delayed till late 07 as a 08 model
  • Toyota has been extremely tight-lipped about the non-JDM Corolla in all aspects, including the release date. What we do know now is that there will be differently-sized sedan bodies for JDM and non-JDM (first ever in the history of Corolla), although no one seems to know for sure whether the difference is in the dimensions only, or also in the body style. There was a presentation in Japan by the executive chief engineer for the Corolla project earlier this month, but he said nothing specific about the NA Corolla.
  • Do you believe Toyota will reveal the new Corolla at the 2007 Autoshow. Also people say that the Toyota Auris is supposed to be a concept model of what the Corolla may look like.
  • Do you believe Toyota will reveal the new Corolla at the 2007 Autoshow

Possible. But I am not sure at which one.

Also people say that the Toyota Auris is supposed to be a concept model of what the Corolla may look like.

Yes, there have been suggestions that the Auris may possibly represent the shape of the non-JDM Corolla. The Auris is based on the next-gen Corolla platform, and in Japan it replaces the Corolla Runx liftback model. The Auris will definitely be available in Europe, and over there it may actually end up being named the Corolla. That leaves the Americas. I strongly doubt that Toyota will go only with the liftback body like the Auris' when it comes to the Americas. The Auris body may become available in NA either as a Corolla variant or a separate model, but is not likely to be THE Corolla. Woud the Corolla of the Americas look like the JDM Corolla, but with different body dimensions, or totally different from the JDM? No one outside of Toyota seems to know at this time. I will keep on checking.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Some people in Canada ( plant personnel ) and some dealers have actually seen the new Corolla as a ready for production vehicle. But Toyota is sure keeping a tight grip on information.

It's similar to the info on the engine specs of the new 5.7L Tundra. People have seen it and driven it but noone is letting anything leak out.
  • Some people in Canada ( plant personnel ) and some dealers have actually seen the new Corolla as a ready for production vehicle.

Really? Geez, I wish some of them leaked a photo or two. Or at least we would like to know whether the NA Corolla looks like the JDM Corolla.

The main engine for the next-gen Corolla will be the newly developed 2ZR-FE 1.8L, with a 100kw (136 hp JIS) output and 175Nm torque. The fuel efficiency is expected to improve by 5%, despite the output increase over the previus 1ZZ-FE (which was an excellent engine, in my opinion). The 2ZR-FE will be widely used across the Toyota lineup.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    How come the current generation Corolla was never refreshed at all. Since the current Corolla came out in February 2002 as a 2003 model it has never been refreshed in it's five year existence.
  • It was refreshed for the 2005 model year, I believe, with a slightly different front grill. There may be other small changes, but that's the most noticable one.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. One of the main reasons why they haven't done much is because they haven't had to. Corolla sales are still very brisk. They are selling nearly as well as the Camry. A major makeover is expected for model year 2008.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    is on the stand at the Paris auto show, and it looks really nice. It is a proper Corolla hatch, where the Matrix is quite a bit bigger than the Corolla sedan.

It would be really great if Toyota would bring the Auris here as a Corolla 5-door when the next model comes along.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    Has anyone else found out information of when the new Corolla is being released. There are these mixed reports varying from spring 07 release, fall 07 release, and spring 08 release as a 09 model. As any found out which release date seems to be more accurate.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    It's absolutely early '08 as an '09 model. Other sites have members working in Cambridge who have provided this info.
    Actually, the Matrix is 6 inches shorter than the North American Corolla. It is a wider (just under 4 inches) and a couple inches taller. Because of the taller design it feels more spacious (head room is generous). The Auris is marginally smaller than the Matrix in all dimensions (wheelbase is the same for all 3 vehicles). That would make the Auris about 8 inches shorter than the current North American Corolla (2 inches shorter than the Matrix). However, it is wider by approx. 3 inches and taller by approx. 2 inches (compared to the Corolla but less wide and shorter than the Matrix). Heck, even the Yaris sedan is longer than the Auris. Kind of confusing.

I agree, it would be great to see Auris over here. Not sure which model it would fall under (it looks like a larger Yaris). Unlike the Yaris it doesn't have the center-mounted gauges (thankfully).
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    well, and I am assuming if it were introduced here it would have the Corolla powertrain, given its size and probable weight. That's why I was thinking it would be a Corolla, not a Yaris. Remember, there already is a Yaris 5-door hatch, a smaller car than the Auris from what I can tell.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I hope you're right. The Auris is a nice looking car (inside and out). Right again, the Yaris hatch is approx. 6 inches shorter than the Auris (same the wheelbase). Very similar in width and height. I guess all they would have to do is stretch the Auris out a wee bit (longer than the Matrix) and call it Corolla wagon. Sounds good to me.