Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    Toyota has surely lost interest in sporty cars, at least the kind that most of us can afford. Toyota does have plans to release at least a couple of supersports under the Lexus label (like the V10 LF-A), but I really wish they would release a sporty car that is affordable and enjoyable to drive.

Toyota says that the market does not support such models. Unfortunately, they may be right.
  • synpthesissynpthesis Posts: 28
    My '05 XRS was a pretty good car. Highly strung though. Bad accident with some truck making an unsafe left turn ended our relationship. Switching to a '01 TL was so vastly different that I wonder now if wringing out a 4cly is still in my near future. For good gas mileage you really can't beat a well designed inline 4.
    Toyota is too focused on volume and will continue to make more neither here nor there vehicles. Very good for the bottom line but that will finally play out - see cheap plastic in the new Camry, very Ford Taurus like.
  • synpthesissynpthesis Posts: 28
    A lot of Toyota's current philosophy seems so GM like (when GM was the dominant player). They know it all; where the market is at and where it is headed. I concur that you don't become the world's top seller by idle talk yet this company can't seem to match quality with passion. A page from Google - do all your core stuff, but set aside some time for those 'projects' and 'ideas' that MAY yield dividends in future.
    Mazda's Miata is a nice and affordable car in that segment you refer to.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    they did have the xrs corolla and matrix, which borrowed the gts' engine and made it sing a different tune, but the suspension was sorely lacking in both these models.

no market for this car? or no market for a car from toyota in this segment? :blush:

(ahem...civic si, volkswagen gti, mazdaspeed3, nissan sentra se-r...)
    civic si, volkswagen gti, mazdaspeed3, nissan sentra se-r

Those models exist, but how much of the market do they have? Very little, pratically neglible, and yet they are expensive to engineer and market. They are image leaders, and I do acknowledge that they definitely have places in the world.

Toyota does not want to spend millions and millions on such a small segment of the market. I am not saying that is the correct or wrong way. That is just the Toyota way today.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Agreed and this is where Toyota differs from GM and the others. It stays focused on profits, more profits and more profits yet. The glitzy products make the enthusiasts go GaGa...but when all 43 of them pick up their vehicles how do you fill a production line?

The auto industry is only about volume and more volume. Without volume profits are not possible for a mainstream manufacturer.
    Just one little extra note: Interestingly, Toyota IS developing a couple of very expensive sports cars, SUPERsports cars, to be released to the market. While these will occupy even a smaller segment of the market than those other cars mentioned above, these planned supersports to Toyota are basically engineering experiments (e.g., a V10 engine), and by releasing them to the market, these cars will serve to showcase Toyota's capabilities. To that end, they are well worth the investment for the company. Their motorsport participation like that in Formula One is in the similar line of thought.
    Toyota does not want to spend millions and millions on such a small segment of the market. I am not saying that is the correct or wrong way. That is just the Toyota way today.

exactly. My point was not wether or not the market is big or not, but if it in fact exists and it does.

And, to echo my original statement, there is a market for these cars, just no market for one from toyota.

But if toyota is following in gm's footsteps...don't they even have the cobalt ss?

I guess no one will take toyota peformance seriously unless it says 'SUPRA' on it. :blush:
    Toyota does offer some pretty fast cars in Japan, even though those are not sports cars per se. A sedan model like the Mark X is really pretty sharp, with excellent handling characteristics and plenty of horses (256 hp JIS).

But considering the volume that this company produces, it IS remarkable that they at this time have nothing that can be called a sports car.

I sometimes wonder whether their partnership with Subaru could cause an oddball sports model with a Toyota label on to be born. Just a fancy thought. ;)
  • yysyysyysyys Posts: 51
    The new 2008 Corolla sedan, now called Corolla Axio, and the new wagon, Corolla Fielder, are the tenth generation. The American versions are expected to look more like the American Camry up front, with the protruding Camry nose, with a current-generation rear clip.

Toyota focused on enhancing basic performance and deepening the sense of quality, by responding to customer needs. Some specific examples are the rearview monitor that is standard on all Corolla Axio models and the one-touch double-folding rear seats that are standard on all Corolla Fielder models. In addition, the Corolla features a newly developed 1.8-liter engine and Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) transmission that provide outstanding cruising and environmental performance. The new Corolla uses advanced equipment not previously seen on compact vehicles, such as a Pre-crash Safety System using millimeter-wave radar and an Intelligent Parking Assist system, which lets people park just by using the gas and brakes (it turns the wheel for you). The Corolla is the second vehicle in the world to get this system - and it costs under a thousand dollars (translated from the yen). This system includes a backup camera monitor, which is probably also going to be available with the navigation system
    The American version of the Corolla, to be built in the usual North American plants, will be delayed around March 2008, in order to shake out any bugs for the world’s largest auto market, and probably to allow for factory upgrades and various Americanizing touches. (Past American Corollas have undergone considerable suspension and engine tuning along with the usual regulatory compliance measures which affect headlights, child seat anchors, and other systems.)
    Body notes: 2008 Corolla
    The front corners have been given a curved design to achieve effective maneuverability.
    The backseat floor hump is minimized to create flat-surfaced legroom, enabling three adults to sit in the rear comfortably (front-wheel-drive models).
    The steering wheel has a telescoping function that allows its position to be adjusted front to rear for a comfortable driving posture.
    To enhance visibility, the top surface of the instrument panel is low while the front pillars have been extended forward and made slimmer.
    The Smart Entry & Start System employs a Smart Key to lock and unlock the doors and a button to start the engine—all one needs is to have the vehicle key on one's person or nearby.
    The HDD (hard disc drive) navigation system features a 6.5-inch wide display screen and a 30GB high-capacity HDD, as well as a variety of multimedia functions and advanced navigation functions.
    New Toyota four-cylinder engine and CVT
    The new Corolla models feature a new 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine and Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) transmission developed as the main powertrain for compact and medium-class vehicles.
    A newly developed 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine adopts Dual VVT-i (Dual Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) that optimizes both intake and exhaust to achieve smooth and powerful acceleration, while offering fuel efficiency and environmental performance at class-leading levels.
    Both the 1.8-liter and 1.5-liter engines are combined with a newly developed Super CVT-i transmission for smooth cruising and linear acceleration without shift shock, as well as for a quiet ride and improved fuel efficiency.
    The new Corolla has a light-weight, high-rigidity body that seeks both a quiet cabin and superior aerodynamic properties; it uses an advanced chassis to achieve performance that makes it truly possible to experience the joy of driving.
    Key components of the front and rear suspensions have been tuned to provide brisk maneuvering and cruising stability, as well as a comfortable ride.
    Americans will probably only see the 1.8 liter engine.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,435
    There is no way Toyota will bring that wagon to the U.S. It makes far too much sense for our market.

Anybody caught driving something sensible like a wagon (instead of an SUV/Crossover/CUV/ABC...) will be instantly labelled a cheapskate and will be outcast from the community. ;) :shades:
    This is probably the most detailed and definitive description of what the new Corolla will be. I do believe that it describes the JDM version so it's not sure we will see all of the features ( the NA market still wants this to be a cheapo-econobox ) but there's hope that at least the top trim level will have most of the features.

The 1.8L 2ZR-FE has been noted elsewhere by persons involved at the plant level. CVT?? Hmmmm.

Navi with the SKS and an Auris-like leather interior would make the top trim a killer in this market. $21500-$22000?? All with 35-37 mpg Fuel Economy.
    I do believe that it describes the JDM version so it's not sure we will see all of the features ( the NA market still wants this to be a cheapo-econobox ) but there's hope that at least the top trim level will have most of the features.

Your observation is good. A lot of the JDM features, in fact most all, will not be available in the U.S. This, by the way, is typical of most Japanese cars anyway. What Toyota is very afraid of is for the Corolla to cannibalize the Camry (the reverse is just fine with them). If they are going to make those cool features available in the U.S. market, they will first put those in the Camry, so that U.S. customers will have to cough up more $ to get them than the Corolla.

Many people in Japan never drive anything larger than the Corolla, and so it becomes important for auto manufacturers to equip smaller cars with advanced features. Toyota is experimenting with the 10th generation JDM Corolla to see whether a set of really high-end features (e.g., radar cruise control), will be acceptable to customers in this segment.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I hate when people post stuff like that as fact without showing the source of where the copied the info.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    I would love it if the corolla got a sport model look like the camry SE! Give it a 5AT, bose audio, lip spoiler, flint mica, and a sunroof from the tC!!! I'm IN LOVE!! But chances are nill...

Doesn't the current corolla in LE trim offer leather seats? I've seen quite a few of them but they were locked and couldn't test them.

Also Vinyl seats are actually pretty cheap and are hard for the average person to tell from leather. VW and BMW give them a heat option too so I don't see why the corolla can't get them!

Since the scions get Navigation now, it should be safe to assume the corolla may get it also. Hopefully with a bose audio system!

-Cj
  • Usually in june 2007 the car companies released the the box as 2008 model. What is happening with corolla???
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The main change is the updated EPA numbers (28/37).

You might think that it could slow sales, but Corolla easily outsold Civic, which set a record last month, and for all of those people who ask "When are the 2008's coming?", we have a car for you! :)

DrFill
    So, the redesigned all-new 2009 model should be out in less than a year since the 2008 is the same as a 2007.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    From what everyone is saying the redesigned corolla should come out early spring of 2008 as a 2009 model.

Toyota will probably showcase it at the North American International AutoShow in Detroit which is in January.

That is my best guess because Toyota also will come out with a Matrix replacement at the same time that will compete against the Mazda 3 five door model. It is rumored the matrix replacement will be called the BLADE.
  • The 10th gen is selling in China now. Here are the pictures... resembles Camry well.

Ditto in Europe. I do like the mini-Camry styling. It moves the looks anyway from 'econo-box' to small sedan. The ride and position of the seats will be the next variable. The engines are little changed just more efficient.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    Thanks for the pictures.
    That is the same car as in these photos of the Japanese Corolla that debuted back in 2006:

The US Corolla might be different.
  • yysyysyysyys Posts: 51
    Jaxs1, this ia a link with pics and information on Corolla 2008:

2008 Corolla
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "The new Corolla models feature a new 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine and Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) transmission developed as the main powertrain for compact and medium-class vehicles....

Both the 1.8-liter and 1.5-liter engines are combined with a newly developed Super CVT-i transmission for smooth cruising and linear acceleration without shift shock, as well as for a quiet ride and improved fuel efficiency."

The way I'm reading this, the CVT will be the ONLY transmission offered in the new Corolla. Does anyone know if a manual transmission will be offered, at all, or is it sayonara to the clutch?
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    In the 2009 Corolla, with 128HP, probably with a more efficient gearing. ;)

DrFill
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    a wagon with the 1.5 and stick would put you in the town's hall of shame
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,435
    How so? :confuse:

And where did I talk about a 1.5 liter engine. :confuse:
    i just went to both websites posted;

i think the EXTREME close ups of the door locks was a bit too much, but the car looks good!

Although, some angles TOTALLY looked like the current gen t was stretched out from the sides to look the way it does. A sort of uncomfortable familiarity i guess.

With regards to what will be offered on the corolla, i'm sorry but there is NO WAY that half of that stuff listed will even be offered in the corolla; at least not without jacking the price up to past even what a new civic costs. Parking with the gas and brake pedal with steering done for you? Does the camry or any other american toyota even have that? :blush:

still, the car looks nice, the steering wheel looks nice and comfy!
    For we North Americans our primary autos are the midsized sedans. This is where we choose to spend our money. This segment is where we choose to add options and niceties. For much of the rest of the world due to population, road dimensions, fuel cost, taxes and other factors the Corolla-sized vehicle is the primary one.