Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    But that's just the problem with the current models - no soft spots to rest elbows!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Just one of the reasons I don't own a Corolla today. My car has comfy spots for both elbows. ;)
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I think the fact that people buy Corollas so quickly that there's no incentive for Toyota to improve them (eg standard curtain airbags, ABS, softer interior, etc). People that buy the Corolla are sacrificing a lot of features for the Corolla reputation.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Toyota often moves glacially when it's in mid-model. Somethings like standard S&C airbags just have to wait for the model changeover.

As a previous poster noted the market actually determines what a manufacturer offers. The market is roaring - 'Leave it alone! It's fine the way it is for the greatest number of us.'

There is a HUGE segment of the population that only wants 4 wheels and a Toyota/Honda name on the back. Nothing else. Power windows and locks are often a struggle to get buyers to accept. Keyless entry? Why?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Is it that buyers don't want features like keyless entry and power windows/locks, or they don't want to pay the price of a Corolla with features like that? That is, if there were a Corolla with side bags/curtains, ABS, keyless entry, power package, and other goodies for around $13-14k, do you think lots of people would want a car like that?
  • would be surprised if they use the CVT in the U.S. Despite all the publicized advantages of a CVT over a traditional auto, they haven't been very popular here - just look at sales of the Nissan models that have had them, in comparison to other vehicles in each segment.

That's because up until now CVT's had this slipping clutch effect that some drivers dislike (I don't find it a problem on my 1998 Civic HX CVT coupe). If Toyota's CVT-i unit on the new Corolla sold in Japan can "adjust" its operation automatically to suit driver perferences like the JATCO CVT's used on the 2007-model Nissan Altima and Maxima, then I think we will see the CVT on the next-generation Corolla for the North American market.
  • However, I think the Auris is in many ways a preview of the 2009 Corolla coming in January 2008 for the US market. Restyle the rear end of the Auris so it neatly integrates a full trunk and that coule be the 2009 North American-market Corolla sedan.
    Yes lots would go for a vehicle like that. Now it's the mid-trim Yaris at $15365 that has all of those items. But still a huge part of the population of buyers opt for the $14100 Yaris with none of the above. It's about 5/1 in favor of the more basic trim.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    Do you think we will see pictures of the future corolla by summer 2007.
  • It would make sense to have a corolla coupe as i said before, but toyota already has the yaris competing against the scions. So i do not think that the corolla coupe would have much impact on the sales of the tC. Toyota is definately going to have to put out an affordable sporty model, i would hardly classify the new supra as affordable, but it would definitely give honda some competition when it comes to the civic.
  • Id like to the new Corolla have ABS and front, side, and curtain airbags as standard equipment. Even better if it had traction control too.
    Here is a consideration along those lines. The NHTSA and the IIHS are mandating/pushing for all new vehicles to have VSC ( and TC ) as standard equipment in the near future. If the new Gen Corolla didn't already have it I'd be fairly certain that it will have those in this next 'delayed' iteration.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    The all-new JDM Corolla is off to an excellent start in sales, Nikkei has just reported. Orders for 35,000 units have been received in the first month of sales. The monthly sales target for the JDM Corolla is 12,000 units.

The production of the Corolla sedan is being off-loaded to Central Automobile, a production subsidiary of Toyota, due to the Takaoka Plant that regularly builds the Corolla being overwhelmed with production demands.
  • Well looking at the jdm features and price which is pretty much the same price as the present model corolla for us, what person in this segment wouldn't choose the corolla over any other vehicle. The corolla has nav, xenon, backup camera, self parking, pre-crash (tightens seat belts if detects possible crash similar to the Mercedes safety feature), and more. It offers more features than even the larger classes. Hopefully we get some (being realistic here) of the features.
    make a "Limited" trim for the Corolla line next time around, we may get some of those things in the U.S. Otherwise, I seriously doubt it. And that Limited would probably have to be in the range of $22K, without additional performance attributes over the rest of the line - that price is pushing it for a Corolla.

Look at the Mazda3 - the only way to get those "luxury" items in that model is to go for the "Grand Touring" model, which bundles many of them together, and is above the regular Touring models. And is quite pricey.

The only one of those you can get in the new Civic is NAV, and then only on the higher trims. And the brand new Sentra - the best you can do in that car with the very priciest package is leather seats, Bluetooth, and keyless start. No nav, xenons, rear cameras, or anything else.

My bet is Toyota won't step too far outside the established mold with the new Corolla - they are all about the relentless quest for maximizing sales volume.

posted pics of the new Corolla just intro'd in China. I'm nearly certain that this is what we will see as well.

It's a Camry Corolla.
    It's EXACTLY as if they took a Camry and miniaturized it! Not cutting edge, by any measure. Not bad looking either, but "aged" to my eyes. They have obviously taken a different, but predictable for Toyota, direction with the Corolla than Honda took with the Civic.

Agreed, I guess it goes along with the idea of not messing with what works..
    that precious youth market is going to leave Toyota even more...

I hope they offer one of the two new Scions with the powertrain from the new Corolla and less stodgy looks. But I don't suppose they will...