Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    The Camry would get VSC standard first, I'd think. If the Corolla gets it for '08, I'll bet Camry does too. There was a review of the Yaris that stated the car really needs VSC--so let's hope Toyota holds to their promise.

Once a car has ABS, how much more does it cost to add VSC anyway??
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    In the other markets where Yaris is sold, it already has VSC (and optional HIDs, and ABS and 6 airbags, and keyless start, and...oh never mind). So it's not a problem of design, it's one of cost. They could put it in the Yaris tomorrow, but then they might have to raise the price of the car $300 - oooohhh!! Americans always get jipped in equipment content in their small cars. :mad:

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

That's because small cars like the Yaris are pegged in the U.S. as "cheap econoboxes." People expect a low price and usually don't expect much in the way of features. They'll even put up with a car w/o side airbags or ABS or a seat height adjuster! But there's a shift happening with cars in the Corolla's class, as people get into saving gas and realize that a car of that class can meet 95% or even 100% of their needs, just as it does for people in other countries. So we're seeing upscale features moving into the compact space, and you can now get a pretty luxurious compact car. I hope the '08 Corolla continues that trend, so that people who want a small, fuel-efficient car don't have to sacrifice safety and convenience features.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Take that one step further and make a wagon version of the same well equipped small car and suddenly it has plenty of room and fits an even greater percentage of peoples needs.

A Corolla wagon has more space than the Matrix and gets Corolla efficiency. Unfortunately if they bring such a vehicle here they can't say "all the utility of an SUV without the guzzling" because it would hurt sales of more profitable SUVs.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    Well said.

Who would want to hurt sales? ;)
    Toyota used to sell Corolla wagons here. They didn't sell very well, even in the days before the huge popularity of SUVs. If Toyota thought a Corolla wagon--ANY wagon for that matter, they used to sell Camry wagons also--would sell in any volume in the U.S., they'd bring it here. Wagons just don't sell these days. How many wagons are available in the U.S. right now from non-luxury marques? Not many.
  • enajenaj Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any information as to when the 2008 Corolla will go on sale in the US?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    At the usual time. The 2008 Corolla is the same as a 2007 Corolla. The new design will be a 2009 model, so you have a very long wait.
    Same for the new Mazda3. It will be a 2009 model also.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    How are you so sure the new Corolla will be an '09 model? I highly doubt that, as the current one debuted as an '03 in March of 2002.

~alpha
    It has already been posted.
    Yes, it is an unusually long period, but there were delays.
    Too bad for them. Luckily for Toyota people will still buy them due to high fuel prices.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Yes they did have a Corolla wagon in the past, but its demise was predetermined. They did not spend a dime on advertising and it only got 1 picture in the entire brochure.

People will buy wagons if they are advertised - Subaru sells 10 wagons for every sedan.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The delays I don't believe have anything to do with the Corolla itself. Some here in NA have already seen it. It's done and has been since mid 2006
    Yep there are more Matrix's sold than there were Corolla wagons just as there are way more Highlanders sold than Camry wagons.

Seems like both were pretty good moves.
    See post 409 from months ago.
    Subaru is irrelevant for this discussion. Subaru sells mostly mid-sized wagons, and all are AWD. If you put AWD on a Corolla wagon and upsized it to the size of an Outback, there goes the fuel economy benefit you mentioned.

How many compact sedans have wagon variants in the U.S.? VW dropped the Jetta wagon from the U.S. Ford is dropping the Focus wagon. Small wagons don't sell well. Small SUVs and cross-overs sell quite well, however, and hatchbacks are making a comeback. There's not a big difference between a wagon and many of today's hatchbacks. So little that even Edmunds.com calls them "wagons."
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    They have a Corolla station wagon (Corolla Fielder) in Japan, with available AWD. They get a pretty decent mileage, if not to the extent of the "regular" Corolla. I wouldn't mind driving the Fielder in the U.S. But then again, I may be in the minority.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    a Fielder if I could get one into the States! As it is, my Matrix was as close as I could get. Now with the new Blade coming out, similar size and purpose, I suppose we STILL won't see a wagon offered with the next-gen Corolla. :sick:

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• camfancamfan Posts: 1
    I've owned an '86, '94 (my fave), and now an '02 Camry. As you can tell, I'm partial to Toyotas mid size sedan. With gas prices responding negatively to a news story of a Saudi sheik farting at an OPEC meeting, I think the writing is on the wall that petro based fuel will cost dearly from here on out. After examing my lifestyle and usage patterns, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need a mid sized car. The Corolla offers good economy as it stands, and if Toyota is to be believed, will soon be hybridized ala Camry. I'm planning on keeping the Camry for a few more years, because for its size, the fuel economy is superb. I have been researching what the next Corolla may look like and found the following site:http://tinyurl.com/3axl8e (I've condensed the url) which may give a fair indication what the next Corolla may resemble. If you look at all the pictures, you see design elements from the new Avalon and Camry. Hope all my fellow Toyota fans enjoy.
    I talked with a Master Sales Rep from my local Toyota dealer at the auto show today. I've known him for several years. He trains the other sales reps at this dealership. Here is what he said about the all-new 2008 Corolla, FWIW:

* It will come to the U.S. this year as a 2008 model.
    * It will be a sedan only--he hasn't heard anything about Toyota bringing the wagon here.
    * It will have a Dual VVT-i 2.4L engine standard. I questioned him about that, because I found it hard to believe, but he reiterated it would be the standard Corolla engine.
    * very very curious.. It could happen but I'd be surprised.
    * very likely
    * very doubtful from what I gather over at TN where some who work at Cambridge seem to stating that it will be a 1.8L dual VVT-i or a 2.0L dual VVT-i. I do believe that the 2.4L dual VVT-i will end up in the new Matrix though.