Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Ditto in Europe. I do like the mini-Camry styling. It moves the looks anyway from 'econo-box' to small sedan. The ride and position of the seats will be the next variable. The engines are little changed just more efficient.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    Thanks for the pictures.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    That is the same car as in these photos of the Japanese Corolla that debuted back in 2006:

The US Corolla might be different.
  • yysyysyysyys Posts: 51
    Jaxs1, this ia a link with pics and information on Corolla 2008:

2008 Corolla
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "The new Corolla models feature a new 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine and Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) transmission developed as the main powertrain for compact and medium-class vehicles....

Both the 1.8-liter and 1.5-liter engines are combined with a newly developed Super CVT-i transmission for smooth cruising and linear acceleration without shift shock, as well as for a quiet ride and improved fuel efficiency."

The way I'm reading this, the CVT will be the ONLY transmission offered in the new Corolla. Does anyone know if a manual transmission will be offered, at all, or is it sayonara to the clutch?
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    In the 2009 Corolla, with 128HP, probably with a more efficient gearing. ;)

DrFill
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    a wagon with the 1.5 and stick would put you in the town's hall of shame
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    How so? :confuse:

And where did I talk about a 1.5 liter engine. :confuse:
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i just went to both websites posted;

i think the EXTREME close ups of the door locks was a bit too much, but the car looks good!

Although, some angles TOTALLY looked like the current gen t was stretched out from the sides to look the way it does. A sort of uncomfortable familiarity i guess.

With regards to what will be offered on the corolla, i'm sorry but there is NO WAY that half of that stuff listed will even be offered in the corolla; at least not without jacking the price up to past even what a new civic costs. Parking with the gas and brake pedal with steering done for you? Does the camry or any other american toyota even have that? :blush:

still, the car looks nice, the steering wheel looks nice and comfy!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    For we North Americans our primary autos are the midsized sedans. This is where we choose to spend our money. This segment is where we choose to add options and niceties. For much of the rest of the world due to population, road dimensions, fuel cost, taxes and other factors the Corolla-sized vehicle is the primary one.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Toyota already offers such a vehicle, albeit with a supercharger instead of a turbo. It's called a Scion tC.
    ;)
    Mack
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    I love the TC and all but i booted it lower in my list once i saw and payed attention to the materials. Theres nothing wrong with it at all but it needs too drop A LOT of weight and gain some MPG!

That corolla in the pictures (posted) look like the current car but evolved :surprise: . I hope that the corolla keeps the 1.8l I4 but with a 5/6AT for better highway MPG. They should put that tranny in a tC too!

-Cj
    true, and thats exactly my point; while it may be offered in a very high level trim in another country, most of those 'niceties' wont make it on the u.s. version.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    I hope that the corolla keeps the 1.8l I4 but with a 5/6AT for better highway MPG.

Actually, you don't need a 5/6AT if the only thing that you are trying to achieve is a better highay MPG. In a 4AT, you can just set the fourth grear ratio very high, and that takes care of that. What more gears do is to reduce the size of the steps between gears for the car to drive more smoothly. Yes, that can and does also mean a more efficient use of the engine, but when it comes to a highway mileage improvement and that alone, a 4AT with an extremely high final gear ratio can achieve it.

Of course a car like that would require a lot of "kickdowns" to accelerate, and would not be as smooth. And a lower speed MPG may also suffer.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    Well as expected the 2008 Matrix came out alongside the 2008 Corolla. Which means the redesigned Matrix and Corolla will comeout probably in February or March of 2008 as 2009 models.
  • tdiaz339tdiaz339 Posts: 10
    No! It didn't come out, one year of the Corolla!!!!!!!!!

I am so upset, I really was looking forward to the new '08 Corolla, from an anyonymous source, expect to see the '09 Corolla debut at LA Auto Show in December of this year, the '09 model will come out spring of '08 (probably April) as an '09 model.

http://www.toyota.com/corolla/index.html?s_van=GM_TN_COROLLA_INDEX

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007060472508
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    of Toyota to continue with one of the market's sole compact entries lacking SAB/SAC as standard equipment. It's pretty pathetic. To me, given that so many others from Elantra to Civic to Sentra, etc... offer this standard, this Corolla is one of the least desirable, and dare I say - least safe -compacts on the market.

For shame.

~alpha
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    I am completely in favor of the safety devices, and expect the next-generation Corolla to be fully equipped with the standard SAB/SAC and other safety pieces.

You have to understand, though, that the current iteration of the Corolla is an aging design, based on the 9th generation that was originally released in Japan in 2000, whereas those other cars you mention, Elantra, Civic, and Sentra, are all new designs. The truly fair comparison at this point in time would be to ask a question of what Hyundai, Honda, and Nissan were doing with the safety equipment in the prior iteration of the respective models. They weren't doing much better, if at all, with their former iterations.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Hyundai has offered side airbags standard on all their vehicles sold in the U.S. for nearly five years now--dating to their previous-generation Elantra, Accent, Sonata, etc.

It is interesting to me as to why Toyota didn't simply make SABs/SACs standard on the Corolla a few years ago, after the IIHS tests came out (in 2004 I think) showing their value. They are an option, so it's not like they don't know how to do it.
    the civic and elantra did do it better, even in the previous generation, they offered a lot of standard safety features.

It just sucks that for one more year, we gotta deal with this old corolla. I really pity anyone who buys this car as an 08 instead of a civic/elantra/sentra.