Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• mcmanusmcmanus Posts: 121
    It's almost as if Toyota only sees the competition from within and that designing the awkwardly long reach to the steering wheel (to make it safer on frontal impacts I'm sure), dull personality, etc. encourages sales of Yaris and Camry. This can be seen from many companies when they get big enough. Look at all the versions of Coke that flood the market.

I sure Toyota could have rolled out a tweaked version of the current Corolla at anytime to address nearly all the concerns we've listed, but total Toyota vehicle sales certainly aren't suffering. The Corolla is a team player in the overall lineup. Again as a company gets bigger there's more to lose and less to gain from taking any chances.

As far as mushy brakes, you haven't driven my Mazda 626. :lemon:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I think you hit it on the head; Toyota has no incentive to improve the car if it sells fine without improvements. However, I'm sure they'd rather sell just as many if not more Corollas to private parties (vs. at fleet prices), and without the large incentives they have had to put on the car in recent years. And they are smart enough to know that the Corolla has fallen behind the pack and eventually reputation and fuel economy alone won't carry it in the marketplace. Enter the all-new 2009 Corolla! We can't wait.

P.S. If they put center-mounted gauges in it ala Yaris, I'll scream.
    Hopefully the center mounted gauges are gone as they've been eliminated from the new Scions. I'm sure Toyota sells enough Corollas to produce both versions.

I'd like to see the compact (for urban considerations), tallish (for visability, space efficiency, and ease of access) form stay. Personally the Camry is too big (reminds me of the domestics my parents still drive). And I could do without another car with a hood like Camry or Yaris (looks like an upper lip pulled over the grill). The back of the Camry looks like the car it was designed from front to back and they didn't know how to finish it. I like the design of back of the current Corolla (looks tight and efficient without being "spacy").

It is fustrating that obvious design flaws haven't been addressed mid-cycle. But IME its primarily brand loyality (then economy and realiability) that keeps selling Corolla, certainly not features, function, design, or price (where its not competitive).
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    the dash on the the new xb is still center mounted. the xd's isn't, and while i do like it, is still not exactly 'traditional'.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    There's a good change it will get an all-new engine. Toyota just announced a new variable-valve timing technology called Valvematic that operates in a fashion akin to Honda's new Advanced VTEC variable-valve timing technology. They say the first engine to use Valvematic with be a 2.0-liter I-4 engine--the perfect engine for the 2009 Corolla.

I still personally contend that when the 2009 North American market Corolla is (likely) officially unveiled at the 2007 Los Angeles International Auto Show it may sport more radical styling than people original thought, use this new 2.0-liter engine, and might even go to a 5AT transmission to further improve fuel efficiency.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Could go CVT too. Or save that for a Hybrid. I don't think it will look as much like the Japanese version, but I don't expect very aggressive style.

DrFill
    I saw that blip on the Valvematic too and wondered what they'd put it in. But I didn't think it'd be ready for 2009. And if it has more power than a current 2.0L it might be an optional engine for the Corolla. When's the last time Corolla had engine options, like the rest of the industry?

I'd go for smart/modern design that is space efficient before giving up room for sleekness.

I drool with thinking of what Toyota could build and grind my teeth when I see what they offer. A smart/modern styled 2.0L 5A 4-door hatch decently (PS, PB, cruise, AC, CD) equipped with a substantial feel and good handling/brakes for under $20K would be wonderful.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I really hope the new Corolla is not so ......bland looking that kept me from even considering it as something I would look at....
    Look back at page 45 for the new Corolla thats selling in Japan and China.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The car sin Japan and China are not usually the same cars as the US.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Posts: 201
    What the hell is a "plood?"

:confuse:
    plastic + wood = plood.

the corolla le displays it lovingly.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    The 2.0 L Valvematic has just been implemented in the JDM Noah/Voxy minivan, released earlier today, June 27 JST. See a related article in Nikkei:

Valvematic

Although they will never be available in North America, the Noah/Voxy minivans come equipped with nifty one-touch flip-up third-row seats, shown here:

Noah/Voxy
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    I read what the salesman had written,and I never heard of leather being offer on a Corolla on a Edmunds page as an option.
    Toyota builds a nice car, but gets you on options.I have never seen a Corolla on a dealers lot with all you could want.
    Now the Civic EX or SI model, what you see is what you get.A Toyota is like odering a dinner in Naples Italy. You half to buy the Knief ,fork and spoon to eat your food.
    Look at a V dub or Focus they offer leatherette,or leather with heated seats.The same with a Mini.Corolla doesn't.
    Well, where I live mostly little old ladies or married boomers drive Corollas. :)
    your last statement was funny, but leather was avialable on the corolla.
    Or make a "premium" compact. VW can have that market.

Toyota sells up to 50k Corollas a month. It's not trying to be anything more than a well-made, economy car.

Nobody does that better.

DrFill
    i dunno, i'd say paying 18k for a rabbit makes more sense than paying about the same for a corolla; and the 'premium' is still there at that price.
    the Rabbit gave good fuel economy. Or close! :(

As Edmunds said, you should expect in the low 20's for economy. You are definitely selling gas for power. For those who want bells and whistles. Expect another 10 MPG with a Corolla, or a Civic for that matter.

Some people buy sizzle. Some buy steak.

Plus, the Corolla has a pretty good reliability record, which the current VWs lack.

No one ever made a bad move buying a Corolla. That's the hook. ;)

DrFill
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    People buy VWs for the panache of driving a VW vs Corolla or Civic. It makes no practical sense for anyone shopping for an economical car in the class of a Corolla to buy a VW, Rabbit or other VW model.
    You get poor-for-the-class mpg and mechanical problems in return for "German driving feel" and nicer interiors.
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    Buttttttttttttttttt.............the VW is more funnnnnnnnnnnn!!! That is always worth something, sometimes worth a lot. When you think that we've only got one kick at the cat, why go conservative.