Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• woofwoof Posts: 27
    ...because they (VW TDIs) are in such demand, you are correct that their market rate is now often above what they cost new. As for reliability, I own both Toyotas and VW TDIs, two of each. I was surprised that the TDIs have been more reliable and less costly when repairs were needed, and nope--I'm considering the whole car not just the engine. As for emission standards, the standards have changed for diesels.
    Hopefully the American version will be simliar to the European version. I expect that Toyota will benchmark the Civic to some degree but will keep much of Corolla's past virtues, like practicality, reliability and excellent MPG. The current version is practical and seems reliable but lacks features that even Hyundai now offers for less. Corollas' side impact ratings are poor; I'd expect Toyota to fix this and also make the car a little more fun to drive. Bring 'em on!
  • mcmanusmcmanus Posts: 121
    30 years ago when diesel Rabbits first appeared you had to put money down to get your place in line for a diesel. Months later when it finally arrived you could flip it and make $1000 (on a $5000 car). They shook like crazy but delivered good mileage.

Never liked to beg to buy and wouldn't drive a rattle box. I know they're better now, but I'm way too old to beg to buy (hoping the U.S. never goes totally in the tank).
  • mcmanusmcmanus Posts: 121
    I'm comparing xB 5M to xD 4A because I'm considering buying both and if they’re sitting side by side in the garage, with one being wifey’s and the other being mine, the comparison will be staring us in the face everyday. BTW we both earn about the same. (Are you married jaxs1?) :blush:

While I haven't seen the xD, my guess is that it'd be a man versus boy comparison (like an Accord versus Civic) as the new xB is truck/van/SUV like compared to little cars. Don't make the mistake of comparing old and new xB s. (It confuses that Scion kept the same name for a different car, but changed it for xA/xD.) Yes an Accord VP versus Civic LX is probably a better current example of (at least near) pricing overlap. Content value goes to the older Accord while fuel economy goes to the newer Civic. From briefly sitting in each, the amount of useable space is similar with the Accord seating seeming like overstuffed chairs.

Toyota doesn't have this pricing dilemma between Camry and Corolla, but I see a pricing skew between Scion and Toyota, in particular with Yaris, xB, xD, and Corolla. Most here believe that the xD pricing will run about $1,000 below the new xB, so I’ll use that for the following comparisons:

TMV for a 4A Yaris hatch is $14,700 when equipped similarly to an xD that is estimated to cost $16,000 with about the same fuel economy. IME $1,300 is minimal to cover poor acceleration, two less doors, less room, goofy center speedometer, and price haggling.

TMV for a 4A Yaris sedan is $16,600 when equipped similarly to an xD that is estimated to cost $16,000 with about the same fuel economy. IME $600 for a sedan body style versus the utility of a hatch and giving up better acceleration on top of needing to price haggle makes even less sense to me.

TMV for the current Corolla LE 4A is $16,300 when equipped similarly to an xD that is estimated to cost $16,000 with about the same fuel economy. IME $300 for a sedan body style versus the utility of a hatch and needing to price haggle makes little sense to me. The new Corolla will probably only increase the price spread.

OTOH the old xB listed for $1100 more than the xA, so the gap between new xB and xD aught to be greater with the difference in engines. If the difference is indeed greater, it will only increase this Scion versus Toyota pricing dilemma IMO.

Once the xD is released all this speculation of content and pricing will be over.
    ...want to stay on topic with the Corolla, but having much experience with VW's TDIs, many Toyota (and Honda) vehicles, driving 500 to 1000 miles every week and performing service myself, guess I have to reply. VW's TDI is a fine car. Just looking at the specs and reading articles, most may not appreciate the TDI, not only for its high MPG, but also for its driving experience, fun, and reliability, torque, and low RPMs at highway speeds. Previously making selections looking at only reviews, specs and CU reports was a big mistake for me. Don't just read, drive! Everyone needs to select what's best for them. My TDI's have been superior to even my Honda Accords for reliability and have provided a superior driving experience to date at lower total cost of ownership. The diesel revolution is coming to the USA; over 50% of the cars sold in Europe are now diesels. This post is not intended to pit VW against Toyota. Doing many things well, Corolla remains on my list as a fine high value candidate.
    You have a good memory. Just like many dealers selling hybrids above sticker price, that's what happened back then... guess people don't change much.

Thankfully diesels have come a long way since the old rattle boxes. It's good that they have as diesel technology has advantages over the gasoline engine. Europe has already discovered this. Rumor has it that Toyota will be bringing their diesels to the USA... hopefully to the Corolla, too. I'll then glady trade my new Tacoma for a diesel version.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Yes, does have a lot of Camry, and (IMHO) looks better than the Camry. Wish Toyota had made the Camry look like a larger version of this!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Apologies to our Host for off-topic, but FWIW I would not expect the same fuel economy from a xD that you get from a Yaris (or even a Corolla), if I were you. A Yaris will easily do 40+ mpg. The much bigger, thirstier xD will not come close to that (see for example C/D's review of the xD in the current issue).
    xB, not xD, right?
    The original comments re fuel economy were re the xD vs. Yaris and Corolla.

Now maybe the next Corolla will be a different story vs. the xD in fuel economy. But I sure hope not!
    Right, but CD review is of the xB.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    It has a mix of Yaris, Corolla and Camry in it

Doc,

take a closer look and I mean a real closer look. Now can you see any traces of a Yaris or Camry? I guess not! In fact this new generation Corolla model looks purely like a current Jetta.

Now whose copying who? VW or Toyota? :confuse:

If only the next generation Corolla could have a TDI diesel engine then it would be almost as good as a Jetta :P
    Saw current gen Corolla and Jetta next to each other last week, same shade of silver - sorry, the Jetta looked very close to the Corolla. That's been my problem with the Jetta. Loved the last gen, but think the current one a Corolla look alike.
    Oh, sure, right. I am alphabet challenged today. :blush:
    Actually, you're kinda right - CD web site has a first drive of the xD, they do like the added kick from the 1.8l compared to the Yaris, and comment the reduced mileage rating is mostly due to EPA mpg calculation change.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    most toyota guys wouldn't i guess. :P

but aside from amazing mileage, why not? you could answer your own question by thiking of the (now very few) times that customers have asked you what the 'deal' was with the prius and how they 'just didn't get it'. at least the jetta is A LOT less polarizing.

It does reseemble the current gen corolla a little...like how the current gen corolla could be made to look awesome instead of how it does. (most people dont miss the older jetta after driving the new one; it handles much better has more space and power, the list goes on.)

i def think that the next gen corolla is a nice looking car, and much better looking than current gen...and while economy will probably be better than average, it looks like there is going to be some weight gains.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    I see a whole lot of Yaris and Camry, especially the front end.

It takes the Yaris' grille, and the Camry has the hoodline set well behind the grille.

This is a spot-on hybrid of the two front ends! ;)

DrFill
    There you go, starting hybrid Corolla rumors...
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    When do they go on sale?...heheh