Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    In six days. I can't wait to see the Matrix image. I hope I'm not disappointed.!
    Mack
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    I bet the new one will be just as good too. But I want it to be BETTER than the outgoing model. ;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• novanova Posts: 135
    Are you saying the new redesigned 08 matrix is coming in 6 days.I have not seen any info on them. Are there any 08's on the lots or is your car the first one you know of?
    Thanks from south FL.
    It will be the new redesigned 2009 Matrix and Corolla. They will be revealed at the 2007 SEMA show in Las Vegas on Halloween night. You can get more info on this site: link title
    Mackabee

p.s. they will go on sale in mid February/ early March 2008
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Maybe, but left hand drive photos from other countries have been posted before and the side marker lights usually do not not make it to US models.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    well what does everyone think about the new corolla and matrix?
    also when are we going to find out the prices of these new models?
    I like that it has factory nav, but I don't like that it isn't better integrated into the dash. It looks just like a standard double-din aftermarket unit and that will tempt thieves that may assume they can steal it expecting it to work in any car with double-din slot.

For just a few more dollars they could have made a custom plastic face plate that exactly matched and flush-fit the dash.

I would probably skip navi on it because you can do very little with Toyota navi systems while driving. You will have to pull over and stop and this may be very inconvenient if you're not near an exit and dangerous if you're in a bad neighborhood when you stop. There are lots of places where it is difficult to find any place to legally stop and park.
    I wish you could enter addresses by voice like you can with the latest Honda nav systems.

I think it "looks" good, but the real test will be if it "feels" good. I hope they have replaced the awkward driving position with something more ergonomic and comfortable. More seat and steering wheel adjustment was needed compared to old models.

http://www.motivemagazine.com/gallery/gallery.html?c=show_album;p=Manufacturers/- - - - - - - - - Toyota/Corolla/2009-Present

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I like the Corolla, as a mini Camry, a lot better than the new Matrix. The interior is sharper and more up to date of course. The XRS with leather, Navi and BT will be very very sharp IMO.

I'm surprised and disappointed that the 2.4L has been dropped into the top trims. Turbo option?
    Too bad about the 2.4, but I doubt it will last more than one or 2 years before the replacement of that older, inefficient engine. At least the 2.4 is proven reliable since you can no longer assume everything Toyota does will be prefect from the start.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    How much though do you think a loaded Corolla XRS will run for.
    Probably similar to a Civic Si sedan.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The Vibe all of the sudden looks so much better next to the Matrix. The tarp shoule be covered back up.

The Corolla looks ok (in that it's not that much of a progession of the current verions). Overall, it wasn't really worth the wait for the extra year. The Mazda3 is still at the top of the class, followed closely by the Civic (didn't Toyota wait an extra year to re-tool to better compete against the Civic? Well, I'd rather have the Euro-spec untouched).

I don't know guys...
  • I just saw an article on the new 2009 Corolla. Based on the 1 pic in this article, the 2009 Corolla looks nice. I definitely want to investigate this further.

Here's the link:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/31/autos/bc.mi.toyota.corolla.ap/index.htm?postvers- ion=2007103115
    after all. The Corolla is the same as the Chinese/Euro version. The Matrix is slightly modified Auris/Blade. Nav system is identical to the one you can get on Scions. Jaxs you still haven't answered me about what you drive. You seem to have a disdain for anything Toyota.
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I'm guessing that loaded with VSC, leather, Navi and JBL+BT it will top out around $23000-ish.

I'd estimate the Base model w/o VSC at $16500-ish for 4AT or $15800 as a 5M.
    It had been class-leading (at least with manual) and now it's worse than a 2008.
    They kept the 4-speed automatic on a 2009 model when the Civic has had the 5-speed since 2006 models.

This is crazy. Maybe they rushed it to market and there are some more efficient engines and transmissions around the corner for 2010 or 2011 models.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The first three are SEMA-only (tuner car) - has a strange Ford feeling to it and an Audi name (S3). Aftermarket at its finest, and those wheels look atrocious.
    And we're still outselling the Civic! You want fuel economy buy a Prius! Or a Honda Insight. Oh, wait. They don't make it anymore. :(
    Now with this new Corolla we're going to bury it. The XRS comes with a 5spd stick or 5spd Auto and the 2.4l. So does the XLE Corolla. Yes XLE.
    Put that in your Civic pipe and smoke it!
    Mackabee
    Hey, that's just a sample of what you can do with after market stuff. You can customize however you like.
    Mack
    The XLE Corolla does not come with a 5-speed automatic.
    Only the 2.4 engine on the XRS.

The Standard, LE and XLE models will be equipped with an all-new 1.8-liter Dual VVT-i engine producing 132 Hp and 128 lb-ft of torque. The engine can be matted either to a five-speed manual or four-speed auto gearbox.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/10/2009-toyota-corolla-sedan-unveiled-at.html

Embarrassing. More embarrassing to come out with a new model compact sedan with lower EPA estimates than the old vehicle it's replacing.
    Doesn't look ALL that different from the mini-Camry/maxi-Yaris we all expected. And that's all the good, as far as I can see. I dunno how a Corolla XRS with 158 hp is going to go head to head with the racy chassis and 200 hp of the Civic SI (not to mention the Sentra SE-R and Spec V), if they are expected to be priced the same.

This info makes it VERY hard to understand what they took an extra year for. Once the '09 hits and starts to sell without the routine $2000-3000 discounts of the current model, look for Civic sales to bump back up.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123245

The 10th-generation Corolla doesn't look like a radical departure from its predecessor. But Toyota nevertheless has made some substantial improvements in content, fuel economy, safety, and passenger and luggage space.

Exactly how was fuel economy substantially improved again?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    This info makes it VERY hard to understand what they took an extra year for.

Simple: dollars (or yen). Why come out with a new design when the old one is selling well?
  • I am so disappointed... The new Corolla is just as boring and bland as the old Corolla. I heard Toyota delayed this model because it would not compare well with the Civic. Yet, the new model is completely underwhelming. It is a shame because there are some nice improvements. As the article says, you can repackage and rename Velveeta, but it is still Velveeta.. What was Toyota thinking?
    Good analogy with Velveeta.

I stand corrected. You're right. It's the 2.4l on the XRS Corolla and XRS Matrix.

"Embarrassing." Dude, get a grip! You think Toyota doesn't know what they're doing? They put this Corolla in other markets, Europe, Australia, etc., leave it out there for a couple of years and bugs if any are worked out before they drop it on us and China. Brilliant. There is nothing embarrassing about the EPA estimates. The new Corolla is rated under the new EPA estimates, as are all the current 08 models.
    Mackabee